“Lovely hotel with beautiful views and exceptional staff”

Admiral's Inn & Gunpowder Suites
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in English Harbour
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I stayed here for a week The hotel was beautiful, steeped in history and the rooms had beautiful views over the marina. The room was very clean, comfortable beds and cleaned everyday. I had breakfast everyday on the terrace whilst picking up my emails with the free wifi. The biggest surprise was the food served in the evening, which was fantastic...fresh local produce with a oriental twist. Reggie, the resident bartender, his cocktails are legendary! Cyril runs the free water taxi over to the Galley beach and if your lucky he shows you the local turtle that swims up to see him each day! Gina and the girls on reception were so helpful and lovely. The hotel is a short walk away from local restaurants, they are typical Caribbean buildings, they do look a bit worse for ware during the day but the food in every one was amazing, really good quality at night and so much prettier with all the lights. If you need to be close to English Harbour or Falmouth this is the only place to stay and if you are visiting Antigua just for a holiday I would highly recommend the Admiral's Inn.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 February 2013

This is a romantic place to be, lovely georgian building steeped in history.Its a must see when visiting Antigua. we found during the day everything we needed was in walking distance. The bars and restaurants are all between Falmouth Harbour and English harbour.There is a boat to connect to the restaurants across the water near galley bay ,the french one is superb fine dining and the other two are superb value.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2013 via mobile

Everyone got bread except us... The wine was lovely but I didn't enjoy the food. Duck in noodles.... No it was chewy cardboard in rice. Shame... Food let the place down. The staff were friendly and the surroundings stunning. I would go back for a drink but not a meal.

• Stayed: January 2013
gina p, Manager at Admiral's Inn & Gunpowder Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2013

Dear Guest, thank you for taking time to make this review. We are sorry that you did not enjoy the food and we take this seriously. This gives us an opportunity to take steps to ensure that we have our fresh homemade bread ready earlier and make some changes in the kitchen preparation especially for this particular duck dish. You certainly deserve to have an enjoyable meal in a beautiful setting. We invite you to contact us directly via phone or email. Perhaps you can visit again and have a better dining experience. Reviews like yours help us to keep working on our product and with the aim to constantly improve. Please continue to let us know how we are progressing.
warm regards,
the Admirals Team

Reviewed 29 December 2012

We stayed for two nights at the end of a sailing trip to Antigua and we loved it. The room was spacious, had A/C and a ceiling fan, plenty of room for baggage and clothes, functional en suite bathroom.
The location is great, right in the Nelson Dockyard, and a short walk to the beach or to the "other marina" (Falmouth). Lots of quaint little bars and restaurants near by. Try out the "Caribbean Taste" just around the corner for a wonderful dining experience. Try "The Blues Shack" when you've had enough of reggae music or steel band :-)
We tried the restaurant of the hotel one evening and we were pleasantly surprised with the quality! Had the catch of the day and it was delicious! Also the desserts were awesome.
Be prepared to relax - this is the Caribbean... AND the service was very friendly and professional (they helped us out very quickly when we needed to book a flight.)

Room Tip: We stayed in room #1 - and it worked very well - even if it is right over the restaurant area.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frodefox
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Located in English Harbour the Admirals Inn restaurant is a must if you visit Antigua.
Set in a spectacular national park,the hotel is a wonderful eighteenth century building.
The dining is by the water,en terrace open but protected from the sun and rain.
We had a rum punch at the bar before sitting down for dinner.
The food and service was excellent.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anne C
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I made the mistake of renting a Standard room in the main building. Because of the open-air layout of the building, this means mosquitoes can and did get into my room. I found I had difficulty falling asleep due to mosquitoes buzzing around my head. Every morning when I woke up I found I had a few new mosquito bites that weren’t there the night before. Bottom line: Make sure you go for the Moderate or Superior room instead!

Room Tip: To avoid mosquitoes, make sure you choose a Moderate or Superior room. Do NOT choose a Standard roo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank TravellingIsVeryFun
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in early March. The hotel is perfectly situated right in Nelson’s Dockyard, which was fantastic. We had just spent the past 2 weeks in rural areas of Dominica and Antigua, so the more “developed” feeling of this area was a fun way to end our trip. There are several excellent bars and restaurants in the dockyard (2-3 minute walk) that cater to the luxury boats docked there. Also, nothing beats an evening stroll around the dockyard to look at the stunning yatchs and sailboats.

The food at the Admiral’s Inn was great, but the service was hit or miss. In fact, service overall at the hotel was inconsistent. When we arrived, we were shown to our room and we immediately asked for a different room. The room they first gave us was in the annex (Room E, I believe) and should be taken out of rotation. It was small and the walls (which are beautiful, historic, exposed stone) were moist. The entire room smelled very strongly of must and mildew. The bed was comically firm. It literally felt like a plywood box with a thin pad on top. The bathroom was also not up to par and the room did not have a safe.

The second room they showed us, Room C, also in the annex, was much better. The bed was softer, but still not super comfortable, but it was fine. The bathroom was much better, but not that remarkable (think 1980s roadside Super 8 quality in the U.S.). The room key has “Admiral’s Inn, Room C” written on it, which, from a security standpoint made me a little uneasy. If we were to lose our key, anyone could walk directly to our room, unlock it and take our belongings. It’s usually standard to not print a room number on a key.

Speaking of security, this room did have a safe, but they required a daily fee to use it! It was only like US$3, but I’ve never had to pay a fee for that at a hotel, ever. It should be an amenity, not an extra. We also had to pay a US$20 deposit on the key that fit the safe (it needed a physical key, not a digital lock). They would not add this to our bill. It had to be cash. The woman at the front desk who was helping us get the safe key sorted out was generally not helpful and also said something that indicated all the safe keys were the same, as in the key they gave us would open all the other room safes. What?!? We got the key anyway because we felt that was better than nothing and better than leaving our valuables at the front desk (which was offered as a solution to the first room not having a safe).

Regarding inconsistent service, the first night we were there, I stopped by the bar to purchase a bottle of water. The bartender was very friendly and told me the water was EC$10. I paid it and went on my way. The next morning, after breakfast, I figured we’d need more water to bring to the beach with us, so I stood at the bar to buy another. Our server from breakfast came over to ask if I needed anything stating that the bar wasn’t open yet. I asked for a bottle of water and she got me one and then handed me a check for EC$22. I told her the price last night was EC$10 and she said that because I was buying it through the restaurant (which, by the way, all feels like the same space more or less), it was more. However, if I bought it from her after the bar opened at 10am the charge would be EC$18 (even though I was charged EC$10 last night). I asked her what time is was right now and she looked at her watch and said 9:50am. Since it was clear that she was not willing to be helpful, I told her I didn’t want the water and she rolled here eyes and kind of huffed off like it was the biggest pain the neck to void the check. I understand if there are different charges between the bar and restaurant, but she was rude to me the entire conversation. This may seem like a simple misunderstanding, but it exemplified the frequent awkward encounters with their staff who seemed generally aloof and apathetic.

The hotel staff in general was not helpful and frankly, didn’t seem to care if our stay was nice or not. As we checked out of the hotel, in fact, the guy at the front desk didn’t ask us how our stay was or if everything was to our liking, and didn’t thank us for our business, nothing. He just handed us our bill and wanted us to settle up.

I have to call out one exceptional employee at the hotel, however. He was their on-site maintenance worker/grounds keeper. He smiled at us when we arrived and welcomed us. He always had a smile for us when passing on the grounds. It seemed he was outside working day and night, literally. If I had to guess, he was putting in 13-14 hour days, but always seemed to possess a super positive attitude. He deserves recognition for all he does there.

Overall, we felt it was a shame that such a beautiful hotel in such a prime location was mismanaged. Sure, there were a couple of helpful employees and sure, the food was good, but it was perplexing how inconsistent the service was. The employees who didn’t seem to care about their jobs and clearly didn’t care about the hotel guests really spoiled things for us in all honesty.

Room Tip: I would recommend getting a room in the main hotel building, rather than the annex.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Freetown
Cocobay Resort
Cocobay Resort
#1 of 3 in Bolans

Been to Admiral's Inn & Gunpowder Suites? Share your experiences!