“Better weather next time...”

Extreme Marine Scuba LTD - Scuba Diving and more
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Better weather next time...”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My husband and I dove with Don on Monday, June 3rd. Don came and picked us up from Jolly Harbour, drove us back to his shop, got all paperwork done, made sure the gear fit well, and we were on our way. Don is extremely laid back, easy to talk to, and very knowledgable. Unfortunately for us, the open water had 3-4 ft swells, it started raining, and that combined for my seasickness and very poor visability during the dive. We dove Pillars of Hercules as an easy first dive (it had been three years since my hubby and I last dove). All of these things led to a less than desirable dive experience (but obviously NOTHING that Don had any control over). We had been spoiled in our last couple dive trips (Belize and Fiji) with perfect dive conditions and terrific reefs. Don and his dive operation are top notch, and he will do all in his power to give you a great dive. Because of the sea swells, he looked ahead to the weather for the rest of the week and saw that it probably wasn't going to get any better. He wanted to make sure we fully understood what kind of conditions we would be facing. We decided not to dive anymore (but mainly b/c the rest of our group was not diving and we wanted to hang out with them), and Don was very gracious about our decision.

Please consider using Extreme Marine when in Antigua. You won't be disappointed.

Visited June 2013
extrememarine, Owner at Extreme Marine Scuba LTD - Scuba Diving and more, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Hi you two,

I am really glad you gave a review as I knew you might not have had the ideal Caribbean dive trip so your kind words about us, in particular, really mean a lot. Your review is especially important to me because you are such nice people that even after feeling ill you took the time to heap praise on myself and my company. I have to say that it is people like you that we work so hard to keep things nice for,

We didn't feel put out at all when you chose not to dive as much as originally planned. The most important thing for us is that you had a good time in Antigua. I really hope you did have a good time and hope I can take you out on a trip again someday. It was a pleasure to meet you both.

Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great overall scuba experience”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My wife and I recently dove with Don during our Antigua vacation. We called the office to schedule a two tank dive, Don was very accommodating as far as scheduling the dive. The process was very simple, show up, pay, show your c-card, grab some gear, and we were on the boat less than 5 minutes after arrival. His boat is great for dive trips, large and comfortable. The two dive sites were a short boat ride from the marina. The actual diving was about average for the Caribbean, as I expected. Don was very helpful, safe and knowledgeable, also very friendly and laid back. Overall a great experience.

Visited May 2013
Hi Guys.

Thank for taking the time to give us a review we are really glad you had a good time. It was a pleasure for us to meet and dive with you and really hope we can all go and do it again soon.

Thanks again for choosing us we know how important holiday time is and we are really grateful you chose to spend some of yours with us.

Don
English Harbour, Antigua
“Excellent Scuba centre in Antigua”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Highly recommended. Don is very knowledgable and patient and fully aware that the experience is for enjoyment as well as education.

Visited May 2013
Hey Tim

Thanks so much for your kind words. It was a real pleasure to meet you and teaching you to dive was a real blast. Really looking forward to seeing you guys again soon. PS - loved the fruit cake please bring more ...lol
Winnipeg, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“As luck would have it...”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Bad news, our resort's dive operation was full teaching Padi. GOOD news, they gave us Don's pamphlet. Called Don, and ended up doing two great days of diving with him. My wife really enjoyed the big boat, especially the head and a place to get changed. Don is a great dive master. He has the right temperment; calm, patient, congenial, and humorous. But most of all is a great dive master, knows his dive sites, and points out all the specials. He even took videos of one dive. His shop's equipment is in good shape and Don takes the time to ensure everthing fits just right. One other thing, the English harbor area has great dive sites. We had just finished 8 days of diving in Dominica. Don took us to sites that were comparable (minus the Lion fish :)). We are stopping in Antigua again next winter. No need for pamphlets. We will be diving with Don, and staying in English harbour this time. It is an amazing place and Extreme Diving and Don are part of it!!!!
One last shout out; hopefully you get to meet Garp (???), an Australian yachtee. He drove us back and forth and worked the deck of the dive boat. He is a great ambassador for the island, and the yachting that is a major part of it. Forgot to mention, Don had us picked up and dropped off each day from our resort on the other side of the island.

Visited February 2013
extrememarine, Owner at Extreme Marine Scuba LTD - Scuba Diving and more, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
I gotta say the luck was on our side. It was an absolute pleasure to meet you and we really hope to see you again soon. We hope you had a great time here in Antigua and wish you all the best in the year to come.

Thanks again for your good luck rubbing off.
West Fargo, North Dakota
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Well...we didn't actually dive...but...”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

My wife and I actually ran into some bad luck as far as diving goes on our trip to Antigua...we didn't actually get to dive...but I wanted to post a review of our experience with Don anyway.

We had booked 2 days of diving with Extreme Marine Scuba on our vacation. Day 1 (Sunday) did not work out on account of some bad weather moving in. Don was in contact with us via email the night before so we were well aware of it. He offered to move us to the next day (Monday) but our plans didn't allow us to do so. No worries, it happens, we still had Tuesday to look forward to.

Tuesday we got up (7:30am), had breakfast, and headed up to the gate of the resort to await pickup by Don. About 15 min past 8am, the guard pokes her head out of her shack and calls us over, she says the phone is for us. Here it was Don. He explained that he felt horrible, and embarrassed, but he could not get the dive boat to start. He had also been calling other operators trying to book us with them so that we could still go diving that day. He wasn't able to line anything up, but asked if we wanted him to keep trying, and he gladly would. I told him not to worry about it, these things happen, we just had some bad luck as far as diving on this trip. He apologized over and again, and wished us well with the rest of our vacation.

We were a bit bummed, but honestly, hearing the sincerity in his voice coupled with the fact that he took the time to call and track us down at the guard shack/gate made a big impression on me; most people might just avoid the confrontation and send an email, especially since that had been our only form of communication to this point.

It also said a lot that Don would call other operators (giving them business) just so we could dive on our vacation. *When we got back to our room I noticed the message light on our room phone blinking. Don had left a message just after 6am (the ringer on our phone was turned off so we never heard/saw it) explaining the problem with the boat, and that he was going to try to set us up with another operator.

While we didn't get to meet or dive with Don and Extreme Marine Scuba, he made a huge impression on us, and we most definitely will not think twice about booking with them the next time we go to Antigua.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Kyle A
extrememarine, Owner at Extreme Marine Scuba LTD - Scuba Diving and more, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
Hey You guys. Thank you very much for your kind words and understanding. We are happy to report we are back at 100% and will be ready to make good on our promise the next time you visit. Thanks for choosing us as your dive travel option and we look forward to meeting you face to face on your return.