“So this is Christmas, NOT AT BRYN MEADOWS!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maesycwmmer
Cardiff
“So this is Christmas, NOT AT BRYN MEADOWS!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

We have eaten out for Christmas for several years and have often used the Village Inn in Cardiff. The meal there in 2010 was excellent and the tables are always laid out with style, Christmas balloons, crackers, portion of nuts, sweets, little presents etc. The meal however in 2011 was disappointing and resulted in our change to Bryn Meadows. We had eaten out in Bryn meadows several times during the year and I had a meal there to celebrate my 60th birthday which was very nice. The restaurant also overlooks the golf course which adds to the experience.
We arrived at the hotel a 1250pm and were surprised to find that we were not in the restaurant but were shown to a somewhat claustrophobic room called the barn, no windows and quite small. The tables were laid out in a fairly basic manner and Christmas decorations were very sparse apart from one cracker each on the table. There were no Christmas balloons, small presents on the tables etc. Apart from the very basic small music system playing Christmas songs it was easy to forget that this was Christmas Day.
The staff however were very efficient, happy and made us feel welcome. I cannot fault their efforts throughout the meal. I also thought that Father Christmas was the best I’ve seen, genuine beard and a very nice guy.
I’m a vegetarian and ordered the vegetarian options which consisted of an initial course of cheese steeped in Port, vegetable soup followed by a main course of mushroom risotto. My wife and my son ordered the bacon tartlet accompanied by spiced chutney and the traditional Christmas dinner.
The first course was very poor, a big lump of cold bland cheese, accompanied by a portion of spicy chutney which tasted very unpleasant. The same chutney also accompanied the starters my wife and son had chosen. I left virtually all of mine. The second course consisted of vegetable soup with about 4-5 croutons. This was described in the menu as cream of roasted vegetable soup. There was nothing creamy about it, very thin, consistency of water and tasted like a budget range packet soup, very bland and only edible with plenty of pepper. The only saving grace was the extremely small portion size.
My main course was mushroom risotto accompanied by a sprig of parsley. This was an improvement on the previous two, not because it was in any way exceptional but by comparison to the first two which were utterly dreadful. The portion of vegetables allocated to share was very small I think we had about 4 sprouts each!!! . My wife and sons Turkey was quite good but they were also annoyed by the very mean sized portion of vegetables.
My dessert course was very nice and consisted of 3 separate mini chocolate desserts. This was the highlight of the entire meal and the standard I expect. My wife and son chose the more traditional option, plum pudding which was accompanied by what appeared to be a portion of red cabbage, probably cranberry? They both found this combination didn’t work very well. When coffee arrived I have to say the accompanying chocolate peanut brittle was amazing, amazingly bad!!!. It was so hard it was virtually impossible to eat. It would probably make an excellent alternative to Kevlar for body armour. This was like something a child would make cooking with mummy for the first time. Ironically unlike the soup or vegetables we had a massive portion of this all of which went back to the kitchen. I would imagine the kitchen had the vast majority of this returned. A simple mince pie with cream would have been a quantum leap over this
The coffee was Ok and we declined the cheese course, by this stage we had experienced enough of Bryn Meadows culinary delights. We made a conscious decision not to complain about the food on the day. We didn’t want to upset the staff or cause ourselves undue stress on Christmas Day.
Overall this was very disappointing and we would never return here again for Christmas. This day is very special to us, you only have one chance to get it right, this wasn’t even close.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Pogishound
Simon D, General Manager at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am sincerely sorry that you didn't enjoy your Christmas lunch. If you wish to speak to me in detail about your issues then please contact me directly at the hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
caerphilly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

well wat can i say went there for xmas dinner staff brilliant food lovely atmospere lovely faultless my leg is in plaster really looked after us santa great with kids when we decided to go my son and gavin assistanted manager carried me to car smashing bloke like all the staff im deffinatly there next year simon well done to all regards and thanks from rowland ward and family

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your kind review. We look forward to you and your family spending a 3rd Christmas with us. Happy New Year!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

We went up to Bryn meadows for a Christmas do and stayed the night we had a fantastic night food was lovely . Rooms were really nice with lovely views over the golf course . Rooms were clean and bathrooms were nice. Breakfast was lovely .

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Simon D, General Manager at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 December 2012
Thank you for your kind review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your Christmas party with us. We have had nearly 5000 people celebrate with us so far...........thats a lot of turkey! Merry Christmas to you.
WALES,UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

I went to the Bryn Meadows recently for my wife's work's christmas dinner, what a let down. Having been here many times before, very often on functions that I had booked myself when running my own work's do I was really looking forward to the evening. Unfortunately the standards have obviously dropped considerably over recent years.

On arriving we were hit by their crazy bar prices almost £4.00 per pint or glass of wine. Then on to the christmas dinner, starters of soup, very ordinary. Main dinner of turkey, frozen roast potatoes, carrots and sprouts, and I mean frozen. To the point where on biting into the sprouts we found they were still frozen. Unfotunately this seemed to spoil everyone on our tables evening, yes we did have a couple of bottles of wine to compensate for the frozen sprouts but in reality the damage was already done!!!

It's fair to say that we won't be returning for a very long time, and if you want my advice and you are looking to go to the Bryn Meadows for any event, think again.

Room Tip: Go to your local carvery, you will have much better value and proper cooked food.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Simon D, General Manager at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
Thank you for your review. I am extremely sorry that you were disappointed with your Christmas party experience. Whilst I was aware of the problem you had, I can assure you that we do not use frozen vegetables as you stated. Also our price structure is in line with our 4 Star grading ( by AA and Visit Wales). Our bar prices are also cheaper than a local 3 Star hotel. Our standards of service have improved in the last 18 months, as we have won a Certificate of Excellence awarded by TripAdvisor. If you wish to contact me directly at the hotel, please do so, so that I can address your problems personally. Season’s Greetings.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

Stayed at Bryn Meadows on Friday evening, we arrived and drop our bags off in our room. Baring in mind we had book a junior suite, I would say we had a decent sized hotel room. Marble bath advertised was barely big enough for me at 7 months pregnant and extremely uncomfortable with the marble surround! we then went for dinner in the restaurant. The service was terrible and the food was poor for the prices they charge. the menu states a basket of bread for the table which never arrived and we also had to ask for bread with our soup, which was advertised to accompany to soup. our mains were tasteless and definitely not worth their huge prices. the tv in the bathroom did not work either. Breakfast was nice. We did not inform management of our complaints as after reading some responses to bad reviews on tripadvisor from the manager he seemed arrogant and that all unimpressed with his hotel were stupid. plus we got the room for £79 for late booking and the restaurant didn't charge us for a round of drinks. Had we paid full price I definitely would have complained. would not stay here again, is made out to be something it's not!!

• Stayed December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank natckeeling
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. I am also very concerned that you think my replies to reviews are arrogant. Nothing is further from my intension. However, all any Hotelier would ask is the opportunity to put things right at the time, and not have to respond to comments after the event when it’s too late to correct them. If you wish to contact me directly at the hotel, please do so, so that I can address your problems personally. Season’s Greetings.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

Had a spa day. It was lovely, relaxed atmosphere. Modern surroundings. Staff were approachable and plesant Had food which was included. Management in resturant visible and friendly. Good value for money.

Stayed December 2012
Thank you so much for your comments about our Spa and especially your comments about our restaurant, Blas and its management. Season’s Greetings to you!
Newport, South Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

Pleasant stay for 4 nights in a junior suite. Food in the restaurant was good with prices as you would expect in a hotel of this rating. The only negatives were we had to ask for more towels (1 bath and hand towel for 2 people) and the drive up to the hotel needs to be have better lighting - it wasn't a good experience having missed the entrance, to have to reverse in the pitch black downhill in a country lane! Pleasant hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Simon D, General Manager at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Many thanks for your review and kind comments
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maesycwmmer
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
New House Country Hotel
New House Country Hotel
#3 of 76 in Cardiff
Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa

Been to Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!