“Nice Hotel, very disappointing restaraunt”

Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maesycwmmer
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel, very disappointing restaraunt”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here a few times previously and it is a very nice hotel with a great spa and pool facility and spotless clean and large rooms.

We went on a dinner bed and breakfast deal which seemed reasonable on booking but having seen what we were presented with for dinner it really was not a good deal at all because it was little more than bed and breakfast. It was quite embarrassing firstly the menu presented to the DB&B customers but this only worsened as each course came out.
Our bottle of wine was just plonked on the table unopened and no ice bucket.
Our starter was a tomato and mozzarella based dish but when presented was literally a thin slice of tomato with a thin slice of mozzarella and a drizzle of olive oil with inedible home made bread because it was so stale.
As a vegetarian I expect limitations and especially when taking up a hotel offer where you get a lesser menu often presented. I had a choice of one dish which was a goat cheese tart. I've never been keen on goat cheese so asked the waitress if they could offer me an alternative and she said she'd ask the chef. On returning I was offered a "chicken salad without the chicken" hmmm tempting so had to go for a dish I knew I wouldn't like. In fairness dessert was good however.

I did send an email of disappointment to the hotel but it appears a bit of polite criticism is not appreciated. It's a real shame because this is one of our favourite local hotels and we do use weekend breaks on a monthly basis and now one of our favourites is scratched from the list.
Plenty more though

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank AlexMitchell2000
gavyn B, General Manager at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed the spa and the rooms however I am extremely disappointed in your comments about the restaurant. Having investigated your comments it does seem that Mark our maître'd offered you three different menus with over four different vegetarian options on the night to which you declined. As a resort we do go the extra mile for the customers and I am sorry if you felt as though this was not satisfactory. We hope that we have the opportunity of another stay.
Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I have been a member of Bryn Meadows for the last 5 years. It's my sanctuary. The staff are welcoming and extremely helpful. Gavin the manager always available. Biscuit the barman, best in the business. Please keep up the good work. Milo

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
A big thank you for your excellent review. All the staff including biscuits where over the moon when I informed them of your review. Thank you again for your continued support here at the resort and look forward to seeing you soon. Kind Regards
wales UK
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Joined Bryn Meadows fusion again after a five year gap Not much changed apart from the staff. Very relaxing pool area with lovely jacuzzi and plenty of seating. Only concern was the overflowing bins and grubby floors in the showers. Please clean up the changingrooms!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of the gym and spa. Its very nice that you have decided to come back after a period away. We have introduced many new classes that you may not be aware of that are included in your membership since you was last with us. Please feel free to introduce yourself to Andrew our Gym Manager or I around the resort to discuss the issues you have raised as they are certainly contrary of our usual high standards. Look forward to meeting you. Kind Regards
Caerphilly, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have stayed in Brynmeadow three times for 2 nights. The view is amazing as you can see so much and a view that is ever changing. There is so much to do, the spa which has some very good therapists who genuinely care about their clients. I have never felt unhappy in the tranquility of the setting or the quietness of the rooms which are very clean. Little thinks like tapping the door before a therapist comes in to do treatments it shows a high level of care. Becci who is the manager goes out of her way to see that people get their full quota of time and good care. A good gym and pool. We stayed in a junior suite that had very good facilities. The hotel staff do all they can to make your stay special.
If I have an criticism it would be for a better menu and a selection of vegetables. potatoes and carrots or peas. Instead of chips. The desk staff are helpful and welcoming as are the managers if there is the smallest issue which is happened once and was quickly resolved. Good Golf course.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front overlooking the golf course give an excellent view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
A big thank you for your excellent review. Its our pleasure to serve you, call you a Bryn Meadows member and your comments are a pleasure to read. I will most certainly pass on your praise and gratitude to our team. We hope to see you again real soon.
Abertillery, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Me and my Fiancé stayed the night after attending a family wedding, the hotel staff were more than happy to provide a service for us, when checking in the front desk were so helpful and happy it really set the stay off the right way.

Whilst at the wedding in the evening there was never a wait at the bar, the venue was stunning too.

The room we stayed in was a suite and it was massive!! We were grown floor and it was lovely, the bed was really comfortable and the breakfast the next morning was just what the doctor ordered!! It was a buffet breakfast and it was lovely!!

I didn’t get time to use the spa but I would definatly return

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visits with us. The team are always encouraged by good feedback. Thank you again for your support and look forward to welcoming you back to make use of the Spa.
Very Kind Regards
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I used a voucher that we had for Christmas. The location was superb and the grounds were immaculate. The spa facilities were impressive. However, our room was in great need of attention. The grouting in the bathroom was black in patches and the mirror was well past its best days. The cobweb over the bed was so big it could have supported a family of tarantulas, and the room was very dusty. The staff were efficient and polite. The evening meal was very basic fare but the breakfast was excellent.

Room Tip: I understand that the new rooms that have been added are of a much higher quality
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our Hotel. I am sorry that you did not enjoy certain aspects of the experience although pleased that the Spa made a good impression on you. We value all feedback at the resort and will take your comments on-board to improve our standards.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My new husband and I recently got married. We picked Bryn Meadows to host our special day and I have to say it was the best decision we ever made. The sun was shining and from the moment we arrived the staff were outstanding. The grounds looked absolutely amazing for our photos. I didn't have to worry once Gavin the manager was brilliant he was on hand throughout the day to ensure our day went exactly as we planned. Gareth spent hours ensuring the room was set up perfectly. All the staff all day were brilliant and all the guests were saying to me how amazing the venue was and the staff. From the day we went to visit the venue to getting married there the service we received was second to none and I would recommend the venue for weddings - you will not find a more stunning place for your photos and such attentive staff. We are overwhelmed by how we were treated and cannot thank the team at bryn meadows enough - Gavin, Nicola, Mark and all the staff there are an attribute to this wonderful venue. Stunning venue :)

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Sarah D
A huge thank you for your wonderful review. It was a privilege to look after you on your special day and your comments have been a pleasure to read. I will most certainly pass on your praise and gratitude to our team. Thank you and Congratulations again. Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maesycwmmer
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
Novotel Cardiff Centre
Novotel Cardiff Centre
#11 of 73 in Cardiff
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,057 reviews

Been to Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!