“Could easily have been better”

Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maesycwmmer
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
“Could easily have been better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed the night following a function. We were pleased with the spacious room, but with a little more thought they could have left more milk for hot drinks, a spare toilet roll and more than 4 tissues in the box. The breakfast was good and I enjoyed the leisure suite, spoilt again by no shower gel in the dispenser! It's a good hotel with good facilities but someone needs to follow up on the details. Also please note that there were more and better allocated spaces close to the entrance for the golfing hierarchy than there were for disabled visitors!

Room Tip: if you have mobility problems then check how far you will have to walk to your allocated room and ho...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank swimmertwice
Gavyn B, General Manager at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your meal at our Hotel. I am sorry that you did not enjoy certain aspects of the experience. We value all feedback at the resort and will take your comments on-board to improve our standards.
Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My fiancee and I recently took advantage of a special offer to visit Bryn Meadows doing some scouting for our wedding, and upgraded from the standard room to a suite for an added treat.

On arrival the receptionist was very friendly and helpful, but when we asked to confirm our dinner reservations the restaurant were not able to locate this, so we had to re-book an hour later than we had originally planned to eat. Our suite was at the very far end of the hotel, down several passageways. There was a slight aroma in the corridor but I put this down to the half eaten meal that had been left on an occasional table in the hall. The room itself was ok, with patio doors which opened directly onto the course and a seating area, though this was littered with used cigarette butts, and on closer inspection some of the room fittings were quite dusty, though the overall cleanliness was good. There was a television imbedded in the bathroom wall, though it appeared that the remote was not functioning and so we couldnt turn this on. Whilst the room has air con it did feel rather warm and stuffy when we arrived and felt as though it hadnt been aired recently.

We visited the spa, which boasted a very impressive looking gym and reception area, but on entering the spa this was where the main disappointment came. We were not given the complimentary gown and slippers that other spa users appeared to have. The aromatherapy room was not working, the shower area's control panel was coming away from the wall and the lights above this were not working, the fire door had been wedged open for some reason, the controls for the jacuzzi were guesswork as they were located on the opposite wall and not labelled as being for the operation of the jacuzzi, and a child was also being allowed to use the jacuzzi even though this is strongly advised against due to potential adverse effects on health. When using the pool which was of good dimensions and temperature we noted that the plastic drains around the pool were quite grimy, and also noted a discarded used plaster - at this point we left the spa! This must have been impressive when first installed but it looks as though its in need of some attention and TLC.

We went to the restaurant at our revised time, but they were obviously having difficulty finding our booking, though I noticed on the seating plan that our original booking for 7.30 was clearly written there. The young staff working in the restaurant were very pleasant, but didnt seem to know what was going on and directionless, we were asked on at least 5 occasions if we were "Dinner bed and breakfast" as this was a set menu, but then given the À la carte menu for dessert anyway! Had we not pointed this out to the waitress I wonder if this would have then appeared as an extra on our bill... The maître d' was abrupt and impolite, who appeared to not be able to deal with customers himself, but instead would call a junior member of staff over, we felt as if we were imposing rather then feeling welcomed. We ordered prawn cocktail and "vegetable" soup with fresh bread roll to start, the maître d' tersely asked if we were having a starter and dropped two bread rolls onto our plates. I was really looking forward to the food as my fiancee had stayed and eaten here before. The prawn cocktail was bland and very basic, with around 12 mini prawns and some lettuce and the vegetable soup turned out to be mushroom, which isnt a vegetable last time I checked, its a fungi. Also I didnt even get a bread roll with my soup? Its not THAT hard surely...mains arrived and were similarly disappointing - we have had set menus before and you expect the portion sizes to vary to the À la carte options but seriously? My lemon chicken breast was cremated, and must have been from a very small chicken indeed, served with a bowl of greasy half cooked over chips, my partners cod fillet looked like the left over from someone elses fillet, she was given the tail fillet but with only a sliver of actual fillet! Also whilst the views from the conservatory are great, they need to fix the main ceiling fan which judders and wobbles about making the most annoying squeaking noise which is quite distracting. On returning to our room the half eaten meal with still sat in the corridor.

Breakfast was in the restaurant and a buffet affair, again the maître d' waived someone over to speak with us ( you get the impression that if he could click his fingers he would ) the bacon and sausage were good quality, but cold black pudding and hash browns, and having to find a member of staff to ask for tea or coffee, which was probably the stalest filter coffee I have ever had, flawed the overall experience.

Im sure that this was an awesome hotel once, but there are some definate cracks showing, had we gone here specifically to use the spa we would have been not at all happy to find that all the facilities were not in working order, or the ones that were have been left to degrade.

Overall its a nice enough hotel.... but there are alot of buts.

Room Tip: Suite was adequate though a standard room looked a little too cosy.
1 Thank Spoilsburytoastboy
I am very sorry that both you and your partner feel so disappointed with us as to cause you both to write such poor and similar reviews. I was on duty all weekend and only wished that you had said something at the time so that corrections could have been made.

Would you please contact me direct at the resort as I would like to gain some more information from your stay as we can put these issues right.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Over the past few years I've stayed at Bryn Meadows around half a dozen times for a mini break.

Usually we've nabbed a last minute deal. It's such amazing value when you get a deal such as a double with balcony inc. breakfast and spa access for £70! If I find a deal online they're always happy to price match by telephone.

The spa pool/sauna etc gets 5 ***** from me, it's by far the nicest pool area/vibe in South Wales (in my humble opinion), my reasons being it has all the facilities you'd expect in a hotel spa but also is visually stunning with spectacular views. It also has a more relaxed feel than spa's such as St.David's, and unlike some others there's not n air of pretentiousness. It's just perfect for a relaxing break. The treatments are okay too, but it's the pool room that wins it for me. The gym looks nice too but I'd rather be sitting in a jacuzzi than on an exercise bike.

The rooms are great quality too. I could nit pick about things like not being able to find a remote for the bathroom flatscreen (not that I was planning on watching anything whilst taking a shower!), and we're not talking uber-modern-chic decor, but more traditional-ish, clean and comfortable. The rooms with balconies are gorgeous and overlooking the beautiful greenery. Suites are fab if you like extra space (how insightful of me!). I'd say if your stay is a treat rather than business/traveler then you should definitely get a room with balcony at least, or a suite for a bit of luxury.

Staff have never been anything but polite, accommodating, friendly and professional.
The restaurant does a great Sunday roast but also is fab for a glass of wine with nice views.
I find it the perfect getaway for a couples retreat but have also had a nice spa day with a friend. Have taken our baby there too and again, staff are really accommodating and nice.
The cooked breakfast is excellent and even somehow tastes nicer when brought to your room!
So to summarise, I highly recommend this hotel for a mini break. I love it.

I almost averted and booked myself a last minute deal at Celtic Manor for this evening (for myself, partner and baby to have mini break), but when I phoned to speak to reservations at Celtic Manor the lady I spoke to was unfriendly and condescending on the phone when I tried to find out about an online promotion they were running / to see if we could get the offered balcony (which makes all the difference to us in the evenings when the baby is asleep, it gives a nice break-out space)... I thought to myself that I want to relax, not deal with uptight staff, so decided to take my money elsewhere. So I rang Bryn Meadows and was pleased to be greeted by someone really friendly and polite, and the lady went out of her way to try and arrange a room big enough for our infant and also to help us get a room with a balcony. So we have a room with balcony, Welsh breakfast & spa access for 50% less than it would have cost at Celtic Manor. And with a nice atmosphere in a beautiful setting. For me it's the perfect retreat and incredible value for money.

Room Tip: Balcony room essential if holiday rather than business
1 Thank JenniDavies
A Big thank you for taking the time to review your recent visits with us. The team are always encouraged by good feedback and it’s great to hear that you were looked after wherever you visited at the resort. Thank you again for choosing us and hope to welcome you back soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here with my husband having bought a spa, dinner, bed & breakfast offer for his birthday.

The views are incredible as you arrive and our junior suite overlooked the golf course and had a balcony. Lovely size room with biggest bed we'd ever seen.

Room let down by a couple of small things-cobweb inside patio doors at waist height so could have easily been cleaned. Lack of bathroom products such as shower cap and body lotion, and only one hand towel.

Our three course meal was delicious and they added a candle to my husband's cheesecake and sang happy birthday which was a really nice surprise!

We had a lovely relaxing stay, but the main downsides were noisy guests returning to their rooms in the early hours and the chaos at breakfast in the morning.

There were a couple of tables available, still covered in the previous guests' food and chinaware. The juice table had no clean glasses, only dirty ones, there were no plates or beans or mushrooms.

We arrived an hour before breakfast finished so didn't expect this. It felt like there weren't enough staff to cater for the number of guests.

When we did eventually eat, however, it was a good filling meal. We would stay again if had an offer and if breakfast was better staffed.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our Hotel. I am sorry that you did not enjoy certain aspects of the experience although pleased that others made a good impression on you. We value all feedback at the resort and will take your comments on-board to improve our standards.
Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We recently got married at Bryn Meadows and had the most amazing day. The service we received from start to finish was second to none and there is absolutely nothing we can fault. The staff went out of their way to help and make sure the day ran smoothly, the food was amazing, the rooms were spotless and the views...breathtaking! A fantastic time was had by all. Thank you so much for helping to making our day perfect.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HayleyandChris
gavyn B, General Manager at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
A huge thank you Hayley and Chris for your wonderful review. It was our privilege to look after you on your special day and your comments have been a pleasure to read. I will pass on your praise and gratitude to our team. Thank you and congratulations again. Kind Regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and I have visited Bryn Meadows many times over the past few years. We have previously found it to be excellent with great rooms (the junior suites), a relaxing spa and friendly staff. In July 2014 we stayed for one night on a special dinner, bed and breakfast package, but have come away disappointed.
A number of relatively minor issues combined to take the edge off the stay and have made us look around at other hotel spas.
Upon arrival we had lunch in the Blas restaurant and found the cutlery to be dirty and the wine glass to have lipstick on it. The staff were unsure how to respond to me when I raised this with them and only when I raised it a second time with the restaurant manager did I get a proper apology.
After spending the afternoon in the spa, (where we noticed the switches for the jacuzzi were broken and held together with sellotape), we retired to our room where my wife was looking forward to a relaxing bath whilst watching the TV! Unfortunately the remote for the bathroom TV was not working, and when I tried to call reception I realised that the room did not have a telephone.
The receptionist was apologetic and provided a telephone but was unable to locate any batteries for the remote control.
These are not major issues but when combined into just one brief stay are enough to leave one with a feeling of disappointment.

Room Tip: Junior suites are a worthwhile upgrade over a standard room.
1 Thank tandjharris
gavyn B, General Manager at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Thank you for taking time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed some of your stay however disappointed you felt the need to post this review after my deputy manager had personally addressed your issues raised on the day and after in an email. As per our email we value all feedback at the resort and will take your comments on-board to improve our standards.
south wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Attended brynmeadows spa yesterday with my husband for a belated birthday present. Initial impressions were very good. Stunning scenery over golf course, lovely entrance & very modern interior. Checked in for spa treatments. Receptionist in spa could of been a bit friendlier & knowing it was our 1st visit her instructions were very rushed. Found changing rooms very clean but small with not enough room for people (& their bags, dressing gowns etc). Plus only one toilet in ladies changing room.spa area was very nice.the water feature in Relaxation
room was a lovely touch but again the room was small & felt a bit uncomfortable at times when it got busy. Chose 2 treatments- the 1st was the hot stones back treatment & the espa facial. Both were extremely enjoyable. The therapist was nice but she spoilt it a bit by calling me the wrong name twice. The spa area was very smart with a good sized pool, hot tub, jacuzzi, steam, sauna & aromatherapy room.plenty of reclining chairs to relax on whilst reading the free papers.A light lunch was included in the package which was served in blas (restaurant). Had a window seat which had gorgeous views over the golf course & surrounding area. The quality of the meal & service was of a good standard. All in all we enjoyed our spa experience and would recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2014
gavyn B, General Manager at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your spa day at our Hotel. I was pleased to read some of your comments however sorry that you did not enjoy certain aspects of the experience. We value all feedback at the resort and will take your comments on-board to improve our standards.
Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maesycwmmer
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
Novotel Cardiff Centre
Novotel Cardiff Centre
#11 of 76 in Cardiff
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,033 reviews

Been to Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!