Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa
US$90
Travelodge Caerphilly Hotel(Caerphilly)(Great Value!)
  • Room Service
US$81
  • Pool
US$92
US$83
Village Hotel Cardiff(Cardiff)(Great Value!)
US$65
Travelocity
Travelocity
1,120 results
All reviewsafternoon teaevening meallovely viewsteam roomwedding anniversaryfood was lovelycouldn't do enoughsports barweekend breakchristmas dayfrom start to finishmy sisterbirthday treatwedding receptiona lovely staysunday lunchmember of staff
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

A group of friends and I had afternoon tea here yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. We asked to sit outside instead of in the conservatory and the staff were friendly and moved everything outside without any fuss. There were plenty of sandwiches, all of which had lovely fillings. I think the quality and finesse of the cakes is much improved from my last visit. We were offered more tea and coffee a number of times. When we had finished, our leftover cakes were neatly packaged for us to take home and enjoy later. Will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: July 2014
Gavyn B, General Manager at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2014

A big thank you for your excellent review. It was our pleasure to serve you and your comments are a pleasure to read. It’s great to hear that our afternoon tea has improved and we will endeavour to keep doing the same. I will most certainly pass on your praise and gratitude to our team. We look forward to seeing you and the family real soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel on two occasions and used the spa area on four occasions and I am sad to say that overall this hotel has gone down hill. This time our visit was to celebrate our engagement and instead of having a lovely, relaxing, romantic stay we left disappointed and wishing we had gone somewhere else.

I’ll start with the good bits, friendly reception staff, spacious room (we paid to be upgraded to junior suite), lovely views, spa looked lovely from afar, value of package we booked was good (we got an offer, £119 for one night with dinner, bed and breakfast) and dessert at dinner was nice.

Then there’s the bad…room was on ground floor so golfers practically outside our patio doors (as its not fenced off at all if your downstairs there is no privacy), cigarette butts everywhere outside and a stale smell of smoke in room, walking down to the room there was a half eaten sandwich left outside a door this was still there a number of hours later so not a very pleasant smell. Spa looked lovely but on closer inspection wasn’t very clean…used plaster floating in water and another at edge of pool area, scummy film around spa pool/Jacuzzi water and one of the steam rooms not working, also we didn’t get offered gowns or slippers.

Dinner was terriblel, our reservation for 7.30 couldn’t be found so we booked for 8.30 and when we arrived again this couldn’t be found (the lady on reception booked it whilst we were stood there so we know it was booked in!). We were asked no less than 5 times ‘are you on dinner, bed and breakfast deal’ and even after saying yes 5 times I still had to ask for the correct set menu to be handed to us as we had been given ‘al a carte’ which wasn’t included in price. Staff seemed young, inexperienced and distracted and Maître’d seemed only interested in certain customers (not us that’s for sure). Food was mediocre at best, I ordered prawn cocktail followed by cod fillet with herb potato. Prawn cocktail was literally a hand full of frozen prawns in shop made marie rose on a few sparse lettuce leaves, no spring onion, no cherry tomato, no lemon, just smacked of ‘basic’. Fillet of fish was a joke! I think someone else had my fillet and I was left with the tail and bones! Looking at other diners food they clearly focus on al a carte and anyone on a deal gets the leftovers. No-one bothered to come over and ask was everything ok even when I left half of my meal. Buffet breakfast was no better, bitter coffee (which we had to chase down a waitress to ask for), cold hash browns, fatty bacon, eggs looked green?!? Just not very pleasant.

I know other reviewers just say ‘tell the staff they are very helpful’ but I can’t agree, other than the reception staff the other staff we encountered seemed very inexperienced. Its such a shame as this was once (and could easily again be) a lovely hotel. Pay more attention to cleanliness, pay more attention to your guests and ask if they are enjoying their stay. And if you offer a ‘deal’ don’t cut corners with things like the food, as a guests I expected a set menu as is often the case with a deal, but I didn’t expect poor ingredients and tiny portion sizes because of this. Make sure that all your guests receive the same level of service! I appreciate the hotels custom seems to mainly come from golfers and weddings but other people are there for occasions also, as I have said we were celebrating our engagement and instead of feeling relaxed and romantic we felt disappointed and ignored.

I’ll say average overall as there were as noted some good points to our stay, but I'm really sad to see how much this hotel and its restaurant has gone down hill. For the price of the deal you can find much better in the local area.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room, views and balconies are much better.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bethdavies
Gavyn B, General Manager at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

I am very sorry that both you and your partner feel so disappointed with us as to cause you both to write such poor and similar reviews. I was on duty all weekend and only wished that you had said something at the time so that corrections could have been made.

Would you please contact me direct at the resort as I would like to gain some more information from your stay as we can put these issues right.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Sadly we had to leave a bad review from our last stay, on returning I am pleased to say this obviously was a one off, as our recent stay completely restored my faith in this wonderful hotel!!
The manager gave us a junior suite which was amazing, as always the spa was out of this world, the staff super friendly, & we had a wonderful relaxing stay...
I see people on here & wonder if they are talking about the same hotel?? I would advise anyone staying who has a problem to report it straight away & the wonderful staff will deal with it immediately, I also find it a shame that more people who so obviously enjoy this hotel don't give their reviews, I without a doubt believe they far outweigh the negatives...
We have stayed here many times, & only once had complaints!! EVERYBODY has bad days!! I will return again & again.
Many thanks to Gavyn & all the wonderful staff...

Room Tip: As for a view facing golf course, first floor & balcony
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to correct the issues of your previous stay. We always strive for perfection although on occasions that we fall short all we ask is that we are informed to allow us the opportunity to correct any issues. I hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Very Kind Regards

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed the night following a function. We were pleased with the spacious room, but with a little more thought they could have left more milk for hot drinks, a spare toilet roll and more than 4 tissues in the box. The breakfast was good and I enjoyed the leisure suite, spoilt again by no shower gel in the dispenser! It's a good hotel with good facilities but someone needs to follow up on the details. Also please note that there were more and better allocated spaces close to the entrance for the golfing hierarchy than there were for disabled visitors!

Room Tip: if you have mobility problems then check how far you will have to walk to your allocated room and how many stairs will be involved! Also ask if you can reserve a suitable parking space!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank swimmertwice

Thank you for taking the time to review your meal at our Hotel. I am sorry that you did not enjoy certain aspects of the experience. We value all feedback at the resort and will take your comments on-board to improve our standards.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

My fiancee and I recently took advantage of a special offer to visit Bryn Meadows doing some scouting for our wedding, and upgraded from the standard room to a suite for an added treat.

On arrival the receptionist was very friendly and helpful, but when we asked to confirm our dinner reservations the restaurant were not able to locate this, so we had to re-book an hour later than we had originally planned to eat. Our suite was at the very far end of the hotel, down several passageways. There was a slight aroma in the corridor but I put this down to the half eaten meal that had been left on an occasional table in the hall. The room itself was ok, with patio doors which opened directly onto the course and a seating area, though this was littered with used cigarette butts, and on closer inspection some of the room fittings were quite dusty, though the overall cleanliness was good. There was a television imbedded in the bathroom wall, though it appeared that the remote was not functioning and so we couldnt turn this on. Whilst the room has air con it did feel rather warm and stuffy when we arrived and felt as though it hadnt been aired recently.

We visited the spa, which boasted a very impressive looking gym and reception area, but on entering the spa this was where the main disappointment came. We were not given the complimentary gown and slippers that other spa users appeared to have. The aromatherapy room was not working, the shower area's control panel was coming away from the wall and the lights above this were not working, the fire door had been wedged open for some reason, the controls for the jacuzzi were guesswork as they were located on the opposite wall and not labelled as being for the operation of the jacuzzi, and a child was also being allowed to use the jacuzzi even though this is strongly advised against due to potential adverse effects on health. When using the pool which was of good dimensions and temperature we noted that the plastic drains around the pool were quite grimy, and also noted a discarded used plaster - at this point we left the spa! This must have been impressive when first installed but it looks as though its in need of some attention and TLC.

We went to the restaurant at our revised time, but they were obviously having difficulty finding our booking, though I noticed on the seating plan that our original booking for 7.30 was clearly written there. The young staff working in the restaurant were very pleasant, but didnt seem to know what was going on and directionless, we were asked on at least 5 occasions if we were "Dinner bed and breakfast" as this was a set menu, but then given the À la carte menu for dessert anyway! Had we not pointed this out to the waitress I wonder if this would have then appeared as an extra on our bill... The maître d' was abrupt and impolite, who appeared to not be able to deal with customers himself, but instead would call a junior member of staff over, we felt as if we were imposing rather then feeling welcomed. We ordered prawn cocktail and "vegetable" soup with fresh bread roll to start, the maître d' tersely asked if we were having a starter and dropped two bread rolls onto our plates. I was really looking forward to the food as my fiancee had stayed and eaten here before. The prawn cocktail was bland and very basic, with around 12 mini prawns and some lettuce and the vegetable soup turned out to be mushroom, which isnt a vegetable last time I checked, its a fungi. Also I didnt even get a bread roll with my soup? Its not THAT hard surely...mains arrived and were similarly disappointing - we have had set menus before and you expect the portion sizes to vary to the À la carte options but seriously? My lemon chicken breast was cremated, and must have been from a very small chicken indeed, served with a bowl of greasy half cooked over chips, my partners cod fillet looked like the left over from someone elses fillet, she was given the tail fillet but with only a sliver of actual fillet! Also whilst the views from the conservatory are great, they need to fix the main ceiling fan which judders and wobbles about making the most annoying squeaking noise which is quite distracting. On returning to our room the half eaten meal with still sat in the corridor.

Breakfast was in the restaurant and a buffet affair, again the maître d' waived someone over to speak with us ( you get the impression that if he could click his fingers he would ) the bacon and sausage were good quality, but cold black pudding and hash browns, and having to find a member of staff to ask for tea or coffee, which was probably the stalest filter coffee I have ever had, flawed the overall experience.

Im sure that this was an awesome hotel once, but there are some definate cracks showing, had we gone here specifically to use the spa we would have been not at all happy to find that all the facilities were not in working order, or the ones that were have been left to degrade.

Overall its a nice enough hotel.... but there are alot of buts.

Room Tip: Suite was adequate though a standard room looked a little too cosy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Spoilsburytoastboy

I look forward to hearing from you.