“Wonderful View - Some Excellent Food - Reasonable Service”

Matthew's Beachside Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 222 Restaurants in Oranjestad
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Groups, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Casual and chic, Matthew's is renowned as one of the best covered open-air beachfront restaurants in Aruba. Upscale Caribbean, International and seafood dishes are prepared using the freshest ingredients.Besides breakfast, lunch, dinner, we offer all you can eat spareribs on Tuesday's, Karaoke night after dinner party on Wednesdays, Italian night on Thursdays and of course our daily happy hours with live music at the bar on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. If you are a sports fan, you'll be happy to know that there are 3 flat screens at the bar that are always showing your favorite sport.
Kennewick, Washington
“Wonderful View - Some Excellent Food - Reasonable Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

First, we were searching and searching for someplace to eat. Finally opted for Matthew's because we were there and hungry. Seated immediately at noon on a Saturday at the edge of the beach, just inside the restaurant. Our server was very nice - but had about the poorest command of English of anyone we've come in contact with in a tourist establishment. She did try and it worked. One of us had the Incredible Mediterranean Seafood Soup - it was so outstanding and full of scrimp, scallops, oysters and other seafood - and when I say full I mean full - and the flavors were outstanding. The other wanted the fish sandwich but was told don't (in hindsight should have as others we spoke to enjoyed it) and opted for an OK sandwich - nothing great, but a nice flavorful sauce to add. Check out was easy. Yes, service charge was automatically added. For the seafood soup we will be back for lunch - this time both of us will get it. FYI - for dinner with the sun setting across the beach it would be incredible!

New York City, New York, USA
“Outstanding ambiance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Food is excellent.
However, not all the dishes are on top of the list.
The shrimp cocktail used tiny shrimp...definitely not expected...when asked..they said they could not get the bigger ones...uh? use more..make the customer happy.

Meat combo was excellent...sesame tuna...delicious but unfortunately the grouper was undercooked.

The service was splendid...waiter tried so hard..
Desert and coffee on the house...delicious

Naples, Florida
“All you can eat ribs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

The ribs were fabulous this time & a speedy turn around for second helpings! I was thoroughly pleased with this visit! I will go back again!

1 Thank Sandi2828
Newark, New York
“Very large portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

The food here was good, I thought. Our server was very busy and asked for help. I wish more would do that because I hate I attentive servers. I ordered a kabob of mixed meat. (Filet, chicken, chorizo) I expected it to be small or medium sized and it was HUGE. Enough leftovers for two meals.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank colemj
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Imitation crab cakes”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

I was optimistic about Matthews given ratings that I had read about the restaurant. The good: the location, view and ambience were magnificent. The happy hour was also great, with great music and excellent non-watered down drinks. Now the bad: the food was horrible. We started with crab cakes as an appetizer (I must disclose that our party is from Maryland, which is known for its great crab cakes). My astute friend noticed immediately that the crab meat was imitation. When we questioned the server, he admitted that it was in fact imitation. How a restaurant located right on the ocean can serve imitation crab meat, is unconscionable. It spoiled the entire experience. They were also burnt. The entrées were no better. The grouper was awful, as was the coconut shrimp. Our entire party of four was completely disappointed. What a waste of an evening on our time-limited vacation.

1 Thank Angela M