“Maybe the best lunch spot downtown”

Iguana Joe's Caribbean Bar & Grill
Ranked #27 of 234 Restaurants in Oranjestad
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I've been to Aruba 6 times and only discovered IJ's on my 2nd visit. I've made sure to go there for lunch each time since. The food is very good and priced accordingly, though not through the roof like some other places that prey on tourists. What is through the roof, however, are the drinks... particularly those served in wine carafes. Be forwarned; they are not for the meek. You won't find any culinary breakthroughs here; the menu is pretty straighforward appetizers, burgers, ribs, sandwiches, and a few local specialties. I've never been let down.

IJ's is perched on the second floor directly across from the cruise ship mooring. This makes it a magnet for cruisers, so you might have to wait for seating when a boat is docked. It's worth the wait, though, and the birds eye view of downtown is available at every table. It's all covered outdoor seating, and I've seen them run a misting system on really hot days.

Bookmark IJ's when you visit downtown from the high rises, or stop in for a few drinks when getting off the ship. Either way, it's a welcome break from your vacation tedium.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,869)

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Dont waste time ordering anything other than the Keshi Jena. I'm sure the other stuff is great, but why not go for the best! It is a mixure of chicken, vegetables, spices, and happy inside a baked shell of gouda cheese. I like it with the rice and beans and some of their hot sauce, but whatever you want to put beside it doesn't really matter. I could live off this stuff. The portion size is quite big, so dont let the price keep you away ($18 as of 2013) and you could share it with two people, or more as an appatizer. As for the rest of the resteraunt, it is on the second level on the main throughfare, so sit out on the patio and enjoy watching the harbor, and everyone shopping at the many surrounding shops. This place is a must! It is kid friendly, and has a great menu of standard fare.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stopped here for lunch at our stop during our cruise, food was quite good and abundant but seriously overpriced for the tourists.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We ate here on our last night in Aruba. We were looking for low priced seafood. We were both underwhelmed with our food. My husband ordered the calamari- tasted like calamari we could get in our city no where near the ocean, I ordered coconut shrimp- too much coconut and no taste, and my husbands ordered the jambalaya as his entree- again just average. We were disappointed in our meals.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Iguana Joe’s is a fabulous restaurant for a fun lunch, like we had! It's on the second floor of a fabulous big pink Victorian-type building with lots of shops on the first floor, right in the heart of Orangestad. It's an open air restaurant, and if you sit along the outside edge you can watch the hustle and bustle of the city go by, while gazing at the ocean in the distance. My husband and I shared an incredible indigenous meal (shredded chicken and vegetables, topped with melted Gouda cheese) and a side salad -- perfect for us, except now I want to keep eating it and I can't get it back home! I hope you don’t miss going to Iguana Joe’s because it was one of our favorite experiences in Aruba.