“Nice privete island”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Sao Paulo, SP
“Nice privete island”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

I fly to Aruba just for one night (2days - early check-in and late-check-out).
The first impression is really nice, they have fancy store just below the lobby so you have the impression it's a fancy hotel.
Restaurants (steak house and the one for breakfast) are really nice, good service, good food, my wife and I were very happy, however the service at the Pool bar is poor. You have to wait long time to get a drink and when it came... surprise... it was happy hour with double drink, but nobody told us, so i order one margarita and on strawberry daiquiri for my wife. I had to drink everything quickly which give me braim freezing!!!
The private island is the most. Nice service, food, drinks, etc. I dont like artificil beach but even it was nice.

CONS: The room is old, with mold and ac leeking all the time, the bathroom is tight, dont try the tub you might get stucked over there. We were disapointed with room, thanks God it was only one night, otherwise we would move for somewhere else.

1 Thank Brunofp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (989)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

Our 10 day stay was fabulous! Room was very comfortable and spacious. Food at Blue Bar, L.G. Smith's, and Aquarius was delish!! The boat ride to the private island is an added perk. Beach is beautiful. The service from the hotel was impeccable...they treated us like kings and queens. Looking forward to our next visit.

5 Thank BalashiChill
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

As I said above "Nice" stay. What made it nice was the warm weather, warm water, good food and proximity to everything we wanted to do. What would have made it an awsome stay would have been the following.
*Less road and airplane noise. Although the noises didn't ruin my trip it did take away a bit from the island/resort feel.
*A bigger and better maintained bathroom. We had an ocean king room at the marina hotel. Although the room itself was quite large and very nice the bathroom left a lot to be desired. As many said, the bathroom especially the tub seemed a bit scumy. There was hardly any counter space leaving you with no place for toiletries. The makeup case and combs and brushes had to be left on the bureau.i'm sure a bigger room would warrent a nicer bathroom however we were staying on Marriott points so I guess beggers can't be choosers.
The Dutch Pancake House is a MUST MUST MUST for breakfast. it is a very short walk from the hotel and has fabulous creps and pancakes. Best I ever had actually and very reasonable. It was way better than the buffet at the hotel which we had the first morning we were there and never went back. Food was cold and didn't really look appealing. Not to mention the hotel charges a lot.
One thing to note is the humidity. Although this is nothing anyone can change I wish it wern't so humid. 87 every day which is nice the humidity was the kiler.
We took a ride over to the Eagle Beach area. Very busy with people but a nice change from the somewhat deserted Oranjestad area.
If your intereste in Italian Gianni's was great! It's connected to a steak house (forgot the name) and seating is both inside and out ( beware, some retaurants only have outdoor seating) If you look undecided a man comes around and gives you a 10% off coupon. Both restaurants are owned by the same person so you can order from both places. I ordered Italian and my husband ordered steak.
Taxi ride is $11 from the Marina hotel to the Hard Rock on eagle beach. The Hard Rock is in the middle of it all so a great place to be dropped off.
Overall we enjoyed our trip but honestly the humidity won't be having us run back any time soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

I traveled to Aruba for 6 days at the end of March 2011 with my boyfriend. We stayed at the Marina hotel and our room had a view of the lobby.

Here are the pros of staying here:
The private island is GORGEOUS. We took a day trip to the "high rise" area in Aruba and although the beaches on that side of the island are nice, they are jam packed with tourists, boat rentals, snack shops, etc. The Renaissance private island, however, was relaxing and not that crowded. We usually arrived at the island every day around 10:30/11 and were able to find lounge chairs without a problem. If you want an umbrella you must go a bit earlier. The beach is divided up into two beaches, a family and adult beach. My boyfriend and I loved the adult beach because it was relatively quiet, comfortable, and had the very friendly flamingos roaming around. The only two negatives about the island are the food selection (there is one really overpriced restaurant and the food stinks) and the airport. It is a bit noisy with planes constantly landing although after a certain point you get used to it. Eventually I was able to nap on the beach because it just blended into the background.

Cons:
The hotel itself sucked. Our shower was pretty gross and we had an interior view of the lobby. THANK GOD we asked for a room on the top floor and we happened to be on the opposite end of the "Blue" bar. If you have a room above the bar, you're screwed, it's so loud at night. The hotel was in the center of Oranjestad, surrounded by casinos, and it didn't really feel like a relaxing Caribbean vacation. The good thing was that it was close to a lot of restaurants since we didn't stay all inclusive. The Ocean Suites, however, has a much more "resort" feel with palm trees, a luscious pool, and a small beach on site. If we ever go back, we will either stay at the Ocean Suites or stay elsewhere.

The Marina also had an interesting crowd. My boyfriend and I are in our early twenties and we saw a few young and older couples around. The majority of the crowd when we stayed was singles hitting up the bar. That's totally fine but just wasn't our scene. Again,we would stay at the Ocean Suites because we were looking for a laid back Caribbean experience.

Final thoughts: I WOULD recommend the hotel only because of the private island. If you don't feel like taking the boat ride out there every day, this is not your place. Also, it's not worth eating on-site at the hotel. There are plenty of close (cheap) restaurants in the area. If you're looking for one really fancy dinner go to the Flying Fish. Its a 20 min cab ride but you eat right on the beach, in the sand. Their food is delicious.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor away from Blue!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank meggy0019
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

We just returned from our week stay at the resort and had a very relaxing time there.

Having seen varied reviews about the resort from other travellers, we were somewhat skeptical in what to expect.

First of all, we stayed at the Renaissance "Ocean Suites" resort that is right on the ocean. This particular hotel is designed for families with children. There is the other Renaissance more in the downtown core that is adults only.
We opted in for the all-inclusive package to make our stay more relaxing.

First of all, our check-in was very quick. We were given clear instructions on how the all-inclusive worked and what was included and what was not..just so that we wouldn't get unnecessary charges.
Everything is done through your room key...wherevever you eat or drink, your room key must be presented.

As I am a light sleeper, I had requested a quite room..they were very accomodating on that. Clearly you want a room facing the pool area if you want quite...all the other units either face the parking lot or the main street, which tend to be noisier.
The rooms definitely show their age, particularly the bathroom. The shower has older fixtures and we did find a bit of mildew in some spots. I found the king bed very comfortable, but the kids could not handle the pull-out couch...too lumpy... so they accomodated us with 2 cots, which were much better. But the room overall was very clean.
The room also comes with a safe to lock up your valuables.

The pool area is quite nice and there are pleanty of loungers to sit in...however, if you want to get under one of the large umbrella's, they only have a few...so you need to claim your spot a bit early.

One pool seems to be more kid focused, whereas the other, that has the swim up bar, was more adult focused.
We liked the bar, Sole...the service was quick depending on who you got. We personally like Julio (the big guy)..always smiling, laughing and very entertaining...i tipped him handsomely at the begining and I got some priority service....Elizabeth, one of the servers at the pool was just fantastic..she ALWAYS had a smile and truly enjoyed her job and making her guests happy.

The beach at the hotel was ok..but the water was not that inviting...the fact that it is barracaded by large stones from the ocean, keeps the water and marine life from circulating.
But the private beach made up for that. It was a 5 minute boat taxi ride from the Suites hotel. Over there, they have a beach store that has everything you need there.
There is a adults only beach, where the flamigo's are, and the family beach where the restaurant is. This beach was more inviting to swim in, but again, I was somewhat dissappointed by the fact that the beach was barracaded from the ocean with the stones...so you really didn't get to see much marine life while snorkeling.
They had pleanty of loungers and a few hammocks to relax in.

The meals were good with the all-inclusive.. for breakfasts, we preferred Aquarius, which is at the other adults hotel...mostly because of the variety and that it was air conditioned..
Our favorite for dinner was both LG Smith Steak & Chop House, Aquarius and Blue. However, on Friday nights, they had Italian night at the Captains Corner(back at the Suites hotel) which was surprisingly good.
Sole was great for lunch as they had a variety of finger foods to choose from.

We were somewhat concerned with the priximity of the airport, but it wasn't as noisy as we had thought. In fact, they seem to have a curfew. We heard nothing from 11:00pm - 8:00am.

Overall, we were pleased with the location....since your are a short walk to downtown, you are not "stuck" at the resort...close walking distance to lots of shopping...particularly jewelery. Depending on which jewelry store you go to will determine whether you can negotiate price or not...so ask the hotel concierge(Navigator as they call them).

The only thing I can speak of that was somewhat of a dissapointment is the fact that the rooms need to be renovated, and that they didn't have much for watersports other than they kayaks you can rent at the private Island.

Otherwise, a very relaxing enjoyable trip!!

Room Tip: Go for a poolside room.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Humidor
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

I was going back and forth between 3 and 4 stars and I decided to go with 3 because I think it's just not your traditional resort experience that I was looking for.
First off, my bf and I went with all-inclusive package. Now their AI rules are annoying. You still have to use your room key as a credit card and sign every time you checked out. I love being able just to go get my drinks/food, tip and then be on my way. Now here I have to wait for them to ring me and to sign my bill. Ugh...anyhow.
The ride from the airport is really short, so I think you can just opt for a cab ride instead of booking a shuttle (we did the shuttle though).
We stayed at the tower (not the ocean suites). The building is nice and is always kept very clean but the rooms are old and small. You have no "tropical" feeling when you are in the room. The coffee is included (and is pretty good) but water is only included in all inclusive package. I was so used to getting sodas, beers and what not in my previous destinations so it was a let down. No fridge either. The bed is very comfy though. I slept like a baby. Showers are tiny and visibly worn out. On the plus side, the room was cleaned as soon as you switch that "don't disturb" sign.
Now there is no direct beach access and that's a bummer. There is an infinity pool, which is small but very well designed. It really feels like you are about to roll over into the ocean. You can get to the beach two ways as others mentioned: either go to Oceana resort, very small beach strip, or take a boat to the private island. We opted for the second one most of the times. The island is nice, had plenty of chairs and flamingos and iguanas are fun to watch. I loved the island, but you don't get much of the swimming space. But I feel like water is rough in Aruba so it is actually a plus that the island is so secluded.
The layout is very crowded. I usually love to take a stroll from the room to a restaurant, but here all two bars and three restaurants were located within one small area. In fact, one bar was part of both the casino and steak house (so much for relaxing experience). The second restaurant was just food served around the pool. But the food everywhere was extremely good! The buffet was probably one of the better I experienced. You can have a variety of seafood including lobsters and scallops, steak - all cooked to your liking. The cook always gave us tips on what was the freshest that day. The steakhouse was great. The restaurant at the pool was decent and their sushi and sashimi was delish. The only disappointment was Captain's corner. Food was ok but the service was meh. Now Captain's corner was the only sit down restaurant outside somewhat close to the water and I love eating by the ocean so that's another negative for me.
Of the trips we did Party bus, trip around the island and diving. All three were good. I would recommend doing them.
Overall, it is a nice experience, but if you like I was are looking for a lush tropical experience, I would go elsewhere.
P.S. for all the gym junkies, the gym is actually very decent and clean!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dincola
Schaumburg, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

We stayed at the hotel and had an all inclusive. My son ordered room service and when he found out that it was not included he went to the restaurant and got the food himself. The manager assured him that we would not be charged. Unfortunately they charged us over $100 and were not willing to keep their promise.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,592 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,355 reviews
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,198 reviews

Been to Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!