“Wow-Words Cannot Describe”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Algoma Mills ON
“Wow-Words Cannot Describe”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This was our first trip to Aruba and this hotel was a big reason why we would love to go back!!!
The location downtown and 5 minutes from the airport can't be beat! In 10 minutes you are on the private island and are in a different location altogether. You would never know that the city is so close what with the flamingos, iguanuas and beautiful sand beach.
We always had lounge chairs, the food was great and the weather was awesome.
If you chose not to go to the island the view of the cruiseship port from the infinity pool on the lobby floor was amazing as well.
I can't say enough about the staff. Everyone had a smile on their face and we never encountered anyone who didn't give us outstanding service.
One day my husband inadvertantly left the safe in our room open and when we returned to our room our keys did not work. The maid came down the hall to tell us what had happened and told us that we would have to get security to come up and open the room as she cannot go into a room knowing that the safe is unlocked. The security guard came up and after ensuring that nothing was missing had our room keys reactivated.A great policy -kudo's to the management.
We opted for the all inclusive package and were not disappointed. We ate breakfast everyday at Aquarius and had dinner there our first night.(the seafood buffet) The second day we had a later lunch on the island and had a light dinner at Blu. Both great options. Monday night we made reservations at LG Smith and never looked back. We went right out to the lobby and booked dinner for the rest of the week. The AI menu had numerous options for all 3 courses and the service and atmosphere was spectacular.Linen table cloths, candles, beautiful views -great, great staff!! The food was delightful. We had the best filet we have ever had in the Caribbean.
We had an island king room and it was beautifully decorated and comfortable. All the talk of the showers soaking the floor?? We never had a problem.
The Christmas decorations throughout the resort and in the entire area were beautiful. Arubians seem to really take pains to decorate for the hoilidays.Wow!

Thank you Renaissance for making our first trip to your beautiful island a wonderful experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank northshoretraveller3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,001)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Let's stat with the fact that there are flies all over the downstairs lobby even in Starbucks.

Second there is not enough cleaning personnel. Yesterday at 4pm my room (1420) was not clean. Today, first thing in the morning (8am) I made it to the front desk to have the cleaning lady do our room first. Just like it happened yesterday, as I am walking to my rooms comes the cleaning lady tells me that she is doing my room next. Againg I am forced to the fly infested lobby to wait.

The worst thing is that the lady will probably do a mediocre job as she did yesterday. The dust in the carpet has me sneezing like crazy.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Cynthia R
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 December 2013

The Renaissance was a beautiful experience. My boyfriend and I found this trip to be one of the best we have ever taken! Great service, amazing food, and a beautiful location.

The Highlights:

1) The Blu Bar. Amazing service, exceptional drink recommendations, and the food on the menu here was excellent! I couldn't have been more relaxed and well taken care of here. The staff knew us by name and there was no problem leaving our tab open on our room card. 15% tip is included with the all-inclusive package on each bill, however, my boyfriend and I had such great experiences here that we often left some USD along with the cheque.

2) The private island. Multiple locations for water taxi service, running frequently, and the shuttle takes about 5-10 minutes to get to the island. There is towel service, a great little restaurant and bar, and the staff have no problem making sure you have everything you need to enjoy your stay. Calm waters, plenty of fish, and amazing views. It's nice to find a calm beach on the island, the hotels on Eagle Beach tend to be hit by very strong winds, and it's nice not to be hit by waves of sand here.

3) Buffet at the Marina side of the hotel...I believe it was called Oceania. Fresh seafood prepared to your liking, great options for all meals, and mimosas at breakfast. We never had any problem walking in to have a meal (although it is recommended by staff to make a reservation).

The hotel on the Marina side is a bit of an older crowd, but we managed to find three younger couples who we spent quite a bit of time with while here. If you're in your early twenties like us, I would highly recommend going on the party bus one night! It is SO much fun and you get to go to a few local bars and clubs. There isn't much in terms of nightly entertainment at the actual hotel, so the party bus is a great way to experience nightlife in Aruba.

Snorkeling here is great! We also went on the pirate ship day trip and got to snorkel on top of an abandoned shipwreck. Great for first-timers and very safe.

To all those who posted a bad review: They are undergoing renovations, get over it! You were told that when booking, so room and noise complaints are ridiculous to post. You should have booked your stay at another date! DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BOOK! I'm sick of people writing that they didn't like the location, it's downtown, you will need to take a water taxi to get to the beach. The smell of mildew? (which btw, is non-existent) People go swimming, are wet, and go to their rooms, it's bound to happen. And you do not have to sign for every drink! Just give them your all-inclusive room card and let them know you would like to keep your tab open!

Overall, this vacation was great! We will return soon, and are glad that we had such an excellent time during our first visit to Aruba! 5/5

Room Tip: Stay at the Marina side of the hotel! Remember you're there to go out and explore Aruba, so as l...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Rebecca T
Paul_Gielen, General Manager at Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Thanks Rebecca, I loved your review as much as you loved the Resort! I will be sharing your comments with the team to encourage them to continue to deliver execellent service. Thank you for your support and understanding for the renovation, in the next couple of days we will finalize the last floor of the Marina Hotel and are pleased to offer our future customers a brand new room product!

Cheers, Paul
Florida, New York
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed at the ocean suites for a week. That is the family side of the resort. Our room was not ready when we arrived, even though it was after 4pm. When we finally were able to go to our room it was still pretty dirty. There was sticky stuff on the counter and finger prints all over the microwave. The wall dividing the living room and kitchenette area was literally broken. When I went down to the front desk to complain the man didnt even look at me. He simply called housekeeping and handed me the phone. The housekeeping lady said she would send somebody to reclean the room but tried to explain that since this is a timeshare that the rooms get pretty beat up. I explained that I spend about 4 weeks a year in different timeshare and I have never stayed in one that looked like this! She asked ME to find out if they could change my room. I handed the phone back to the man who wouldn't make eye contact with me and then he simply asked for my keys back and changed the room. No apologies,nothing. And I want to be clear that I didnt come down to the front desk yelling or making a scene. I was very calm but clear that the room was not acceptable. This was the first hour I spent at the resort. Not a great way to start a vacation.
Our new room was in much better condition and it had a nice view but there was an odor that we would occassionally smell through out the week. It smelled like musty sewage.Not overpowering but at certain times you would catch a whiff .Also the pull out sofa that my 14 year old daughter slept on was awful. She said that if either me or my husband slept on it we would be crippled.
The housekeeping staff were friendly but they were loud. They would be yelling to each other up and down the halls starting early in the morning.
The private island is very nice and they dont try to rip you off when you are there. They rent floats and snorkeling equipment at very fair prices. There are plenty of places to sit.The island is very well kept.The restaurant /bar offers good food at good prices.The staff on the island were very friendly and helpful. A very different experience from the hotel staff. I felt that was the best thing at the resort. If I ever came back it would be because of the island.
The resorts location is sort of good and sort of bad. Its very close to the airport so its easy to get to and its fun watching the planes come and go. (at least at first,grows old fast) The cruise port is right there so every morning we would look to see what ships were in port that day. Of course that made Oranjestad very crowded but they cant get to the private island so it doesn't effect you if you're staying at the beach. But if you are driving,expect a lot of delays.The town caters to the cruise traveler so expect the same shops you see at every cruise port.
Over all I would say that if not for the private island i would definitely never stay here again. And even with it I think that I would try one of the hotels in the hi rise are by Palm beach. Theres a lot more to do there and the hotels are very nice.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank caloriecounter
Paul_Gielen, General Manager at Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Caloriecounter,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our resort, I am however sorry to hear that that we originally assigned a room to you which was not properly prepared for your arrival. Rest assured that we take all guest feedback seriously and I will personally share your comments with my team. Your positive feedback about the private Island and it's staff is much appreciated, I certainly hope that you will consider visiting us again.

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The hotel is really nice and modern. The selling point for me, and the reason I'll be back, was the water taxi which takes you to a private island where you're greeted by iguanas and flamingos. The private island is so serene, and was the perfect place to get down on one knee and ask my girlfriend to marry me. She said yes, by the way...lol

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cory P
Raruba, General Manager at Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Hi Cory,

Awesome, she said yes!

Glad you liked the newly renovated Marina Hotel and our private island, we would be happy to plan and host your wedding right here, on the beach, with the flamingos!

At a minimum, let us know when you return for your honeymoon or anniversaries.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Thanks to all of you. Especially to Alejandro in the bar:-)))!!!
This hotel is not on the beach. No. In the middle of the town, in the surraounding of gem stores top fashion boutiques, and a jacht harbour. So, is this the right hotel for a beach holiday? Yes, absolutely! They have a private island, about 5 miles away. Free yacht charter in every quarter, travel time is 10 minutes. Unbelievable great experience. New rooms, indoor harbour by the reception near by a SB's Coffee, perfect bar and pool. Try it, lice here, best on the island. The private beach is like heaven. Many things to, crazy perfect. We loved every second of it.
Thank you Renaissance! We will go again w our kids next time, for sure!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank annamaripeter
Hey Annamaripeter,

Many thanks for a great review! You are absolutely right, besides the beaches on our private island we offer much much more. We are proud to introduce our guests to many local discoveries right here in the center of Oranjestad.

Hope to welcome you (and the kids -:) back to the Resort soon!

Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Unfriendly reception staff. Smoking is all over ,even in the swimming pool. Water dripping from ceiling on a newly redone building and days when our bedroom was not serviced. They offer valet parking, when I arrived they said it was full and I had to go looking for parking that took no less than half an hour. Unfriendly spa front desk. No full shower door, water all over the floor. Beds were comfortable. Is this a Marriott line of hotel? Hard to believe.

Room Tip: 3rd floor room, noisy from construction site
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank EyesRus
jhuistra, Director of Sales at Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear EvesRus,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Resort. It is obvious that you were disappointed for which I would like to apologize. At the time of your stay we were in the final stages of our renovation and it is obvious that certain details in your room were lacking. We have taken note of your comment with regards to the shower panel and are currently looking into a solution. I am disappointed to hear about the service you received from our housekeeping, reception and valet, rest assured that I will be sharing your feedback with the team.

Janien
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,657 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,408 reviews
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,249 reviews

Been to Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!