“Recent stay at the RENAISSANCE ARUBA RESORT & CASINO”

Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The hotel is very unique, updated, and ultra cool. The location is right in the heart of downtown ARUBA and conveniently located to great restaurants and shopping. The pool overlooks the marina, with a great ocean view. The staff at the bar, restaurants, and tour desk were very friendly. The house keeping staff was great. The rooms are small and not luxurious at all, in comparison to hotels in the same category. The private island was nice, but somewhat of an inconvenience. There was always plenty of room at the private beach, plenty of chairs, etc. But, it is located right next to the airport, so you continually hear & see the planes landing and taking off. This was our first visit to ARUBA. We really enjoyed our trip, it was great and relaxing. However, if we return we will probably choose to stay at one of the high rise resorts with direct access to the ocean.

Room Tip: Our room was located on the interior of the hotel overlooking STARBUCKS, the lobby, and the boat doc...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JenniD88
Write a ReviewReviews (4,943)

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel from April 21st to April 28th of 2014.

I must say, my initial impression of my room was not all that great. The rooms seemed dated and with a name like suites, I guess I expected a larger room. It seems they have begun renovations of the hotel and that's a good sign because it needs it.

When we initially arrived, there was supposed to be champagne in the room to celebrate our honeymoon but nothing was there. I had to go to the front desk and request it which took away from the experience of arrival. I must say the front desk staff were helpful in this occasion and every time there after.

Those were the only negatives I have about this resort. The rest of my opinion is fantastic. The best part of this resort is the private island. It has a great beach, it's own restaurant and a private Cove that includes a spa. My wife and I took advantage of the spa and got a couples massage. What a great decision!

The pool at the hotel was nice and the bar staff at Sole were great!

All in all, the services and staff were absolutely wonderful here but I'd have to see what the renovated rooms look like before I decide to stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stag556
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Perhaps my expectations were too high, given my absolutely sensational experiences in Renaissance Hotels across the pond.

We had a room in Renaissance Ocean Suites. We were staying the previous 5 days at the Marriott's Aruba Surf Club, which as I stated in my most recent review I felt it was a bit worn-out.

In life there's a saying: you never have a second chance to make a first impression. Renaissance Ocean Suites first impression was simply Bad. They are starting what it looks like a major renovation that has some time due. The mattress in the sofa bed are basically a sheet! There's no cushion at all is like sleeping directly on the springs. Air conditioning was noisy and the shower did not keep a constant temperature so I was jumping in and out because it was too hot or too cold.

I general you feel that the rooms, although in good shape, are sort of vintage! I thought that I was going to get a proper suite not a fairly big old room, specially at 300$ a night

Things got better the first morning, breakfast was really good, the innovative Arubian Benedict eggs were a hit and there was a good variety of things.

Then we got to the island and voilà.... I'll get this review on the island, but everything improve a lot. Thought eventually we'll have to go back to the room

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank LeoCabrera
ArubaHospitality, Director of Operations at Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Leo - Indeed, we have already started with the room renovation of the Ocean Suites which is scheduled to be completed by November end.
I am sure upon your return next year we will be able to exceed your expectations.

Regards
Parimal Trivedi
Director of Operations

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel because we got some free nights with points my husband had. It was our first trip to Aruba and we loved everything about it. We didn't feel we missed out not being near the High arise hotels. The downtown area is much less crowded and unique, with Caribbean architecture all around. The Renaissance private Island was the best!! Picture perfect gorgeous, protected safe coves to swim in, beautiful birds and interesting iguanas and lizards abound, and ALWAYS available chairs, no matter what time you go there. That is what sets the Renaissance apart from the High Rise area Americans think they must flock to. We had people tell us their hotel offered to reserve chairs for them at their pool or beach for an extra fee per day. Not a problem at the Renaissance. Island is exclusive to hotel guests. We stayed in the adult only Marina hotel,as we did not have our kids with us, but spent one day over at the Ocean Suites, family
friendly property. The pool areas at both hotels are beautiful, and, again, always available chairs. We did not see the Ocean Suite rooms, but understand they are undergoing renovations to update right now. The Marina hotel's updates are completed and the rooms are beautiful. Our room did not overlook the water, but we didn't mind, since we were only in it to sleep, shower, and change. Aruba is so beautiful you are always outside!! Julio, bartender at Sole pool bar was super nice and fun to talk to. We also loved the Marina pool waitress Elizabeth was awesome too. Great personality and always on top of your drink or food needs. We will definitely come back to Aruba and the Renaissance again!

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Ram223
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Definitely a great location if you don't have a car and want to stay around downtown. Convenient to get around with taxis available. The Marketplace was a nice spot to walk to and lots of eateries. CUba's Cookin is a definite recommendation.

Enjoyed spending the day at the private island with flamingos loitering in the beach area. Clean and very peaceful and relaxing.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank windsufa
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Definitely a better experience than expected, it was nice to have the pool on the hotel site and then feel like you were getting away from the hotel when you went to the separate private island to hit the beach. We booked last minute and it felt like a good deal considering it was so close to our departure. The staff was very tourist friendly and we were surprised by how easy it was to get to the separate island. We did a separate snorkel tour and enjoyed that thoroughly. Great experience overall.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sc09989
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We just returned from a seven day stay in the Ocean Suites with our family which included young 3 kids (under 7).

I can't say enough wonderful things about the island beach which is reserved for Renaissance guests to use. Warm, calm water set up as a lagoon, spectacularly clean, no 'getting there early to reserve beach chairs' that you see so often at other resorts - here there is plenty of space. There are actually two beaches on the island, one family friendly and one for adults, and our kids loved to feed the flamingos.

Contrary to what some of the reviewers have written, we actually were pleased that we did the all inclusive. Our kids were free under that plan (because of their ages) so $260/day fed all 5 of us...which meant we could enjoy the buffet breakfast and fresh fruit etc. for breakfast, and have anything we wanted for lunch and dinner...and all the smoothies, drinks and ice cream we wanted without worrying about the cost. It's true there are a ton of restaurants nearby (and you can get lunch for Subway if you wanted - obviously that's cheaper) but we really liked the convenience of ordering at the beach for lunch. The (dinner) seafood buffet at Aquarius was well worth it given that it was included - custom prepared crab legs, lobster, scallops etc. And everything was super fresh. The meats at all the restaurants were pretty average, but if I wanted a New York Steak House experience, I'd stay in NY.

The rooms at the Ocean Suites definitely are in need of a makeover, and renovations had started just prior to our stay. We weren't inconvenienced at all and didn't hear anything...so we weren't troubled by it, and whenever the project is done the hotel will be even better. The rooms are clean but very dark (less 'airy and Caribbean' and more '80s dark brocade') and the bedroom in our suite didn't have any windows which I found odd. They could easily (quickly) spruce the bathrooms up by just cleaning the grout in the bathroom a bit. But we had a really nice patio and we were in the perfect location.

Pros: Can't say enough about the beach on Renaissance Island, VERY friendly service, cleanliness of the pool area, friendly flamingos & iguanas...quiet (other than the planes, which was only occasional), super family friendly, really great.

Cons: Rooms in need of updating (they're doing this now), bedroom without a window (then again, we were outside from 8-8 so who cares?) and the nearby airplanes taking off on occasion.

As an aside, we've stayed at the Marriott Surf Club before as well, and though I didn't love the planes near the Renaissance, the beach and pool at the Renaissance led us to return to the Renaissance vs. the Surf Club. Rooms at the Surf Club were indisputably better, and the pool there has more 'fun stuff' (slides, lazy river) but I hated fighting for beach and pool chairs, it felt crowded and packed and I preferred the laid back loveliness of the Renaissance.

Room Tip: Request to stay where you won't hear the renovations (as of April they were working on the 5th f...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 212familytravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
4 mi away
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort
2 mi away
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!