“Mixed reviews”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Atlanta, Georgia
“Mixed reviews”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Renaissance Aruba resort Ocean Suites offer excellent pool with bar, lagoon and private island via free boat ride. The resort is perfectly located in the heart of Oranjestad. We had part timeshare / part paid room. During our duration we had to switch rooms and had the unfortunate luck of the Renaissance Ocean Suites renovating rooms and not having our room ready for SEVERAL hours. Long story ...lack of basic essentials...but the resort made it right. The pool bar has happy hour from 4:30 until 6pm with the BEST fisherman sampler (the grouper was delicious!!!!!!!!) Overall, a fantastic experience! Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amanda W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,026)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
montara
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

At first when I arrived, I was really disappointed because the room we were given was outdated, dark, old & dirty.... After 2 nights we were able to upgrade to an ocean view, newly remodeled room. Thx to Robert!! We had to pay extra the last 5 day nights, but it was well worth it. We needed a microwave & fridge for our baby's food/ formula.... I needed a sink to wash her bottles. It was great not having to wash her bottles in the bathroom sink. Having a limited kitchen was wonderful. The space is large, since its a suite.... My daughter would take naps in the bedroom while my husband & I ate dinner or drank wine in the living room. Its great for families!!!
Cons:
1. wifi sucks on the lower floors. There is no one onsite to troubleshoot... U have to call the IT service center in San Jose CALIFORNIA!!!!!
2. There's construction going on. It can be very noisy if they're working above your floor.
3. Mosquitos in the lobby, but its an island... There are bugs everywhere
4. NO GYM on site!!!!! Its in the Marina Building which is about a block away and adults only. Just
b/c I'm a parent it doesnt mean I dont need a gym... Its really out of the way and kinda scary to walk to by yourself after dark. I like to work out when my daughter sleeps.
5. They need to be better with the cleaning... I found chips, ball of headhair and an empty cigar box on the carpet. I have a daughter learning to crawl so I was able to see even under the TV consoles and sofas

Pros:
1. Private Island
2. Walking distance to resturants, starbucks and other local shops....U can get your high end shopping done close to the hotel too
3. Quite at night....
4. Room service menu wasn't too expensive and tasty. It came on time too.
5. Hertz call rental onsite

Nice place overall... That's why we decided to stay here for 11 nights... I would only stay here if they can guarantee a newly renovated room.
Stay else where if not. I stayed in room 2445

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Pegasusrunner
Parkville, Missouri
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from an 8 night stay in the Ocean Suites. While the hotel is currently being renovated, it really did not affect our stay in the slightest. We were originally in one of the original rooms and had a pleasant experience. After seeing a renovated room and asking if we could move to one, they graciously accommodated our request and we enjoyed the rest of our stay in a beautifully modern and clean room. We were actually the first to stay in the room!
The resort is the perfect size! Not as big as some the hotels on Palm Beach, but that was a plus to us! We never had to go reserve a chair at the pool, beach or island....they were plentiful! That was a nice change from other places we have stayed.
I cannot say enough about the wonderful private island! What a great place! Peaceful, quiet and absolutely beautiful! Loved the flamingoes, iguanas and the sealife that existed in the waterway between the island sections. The water was calm and very clear.
We took a trip to Palm Beach just to see what we were missing. My husband and I decided that we enjoyed the location, peacefulness and smaller resort feel of the Renaissance Ocean Suites. It was closer to the water and just had the right feel for us and was located next to some wonderful restaurants and shopping within walking distance. It only cost $2.50 to take the bus up to the craziness of Palm Beach for the day and then return to the peacefulness of this gem. We will definitely stay here again and look forward to bringing our teenage children. I would feel very comfortable and safe with them touring the resort, shopping area and mall here on their own.
A great resort experience!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alice T
Boston, MA
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Our flight was canceled due to mechanical failure so the airline put us up in the Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino for one night. Not sure it is in the best area (not on the beach), but I can't judge based on having only stayed one night. They do have a private island that they will take you to via boat that launches directly beneath the hotel. I'm kicking myself for not doing that because I heard it was incredible but I was fortunate enough to meet some great other travelers to hang out with at the bar during my stay. I will say that the staff was great, food was great, the pool was awesome, and the rooms were super clean with really comfortable beds. The casino was a lot of fun as well and the table minimums are really low so amateurs like me can keep up without going broke.
I would definitely consider staying there if I return to Aruba.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank nattieblonde
Yuba City, California
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed at the ocean suites from the 21 June 14 to 01 July 14. Pretty cool place. The private Island was cool for about the first 5 days then it became PLAGUED with these black mosquitos that bit any warmblooded human. We didnt go back to that island after that. The Captains Corner is a open restruant at the hotel. Other than breakfast.....IT SUCKS. Way overpriced ( 25 dollars for a buffet) which isnt really that good. I would recommend taking a stroll or cab ride and find other places to dine. The staff at the ocean suites are really cool! The pools are clean and fun as well as the ocean beach thingy they got going there. The hotel is having some construction being done, particularly the 4th floor. you dont hear them though! when I go back to aruba..... i will be staying at this hotel because its all by its lonesome in town and unlike the crowded hotels in Palm beach its pretty down to earth. Cab rides to palm beach from the ocean suites is only 11 bucks too.

Room Tip: 4th floor is currently under a little construction by the elevators. You wont hear them though!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AtwaterFan27
Ridgewood, New York
Reviewed 2 July 2014

So hubby and I stayed at the Renaissance (Adult section) from June 24 - July 1st, while our daughter and her family stayed at the family suites section. My husband and I were impressed with the look of the adult section. Up-to-date decor; rooms, complex, pool (small but pretty) and the staff was pleasant. Unfortunately, I would not consider this hotel again. Reasons: The mini-refg in our room was not working. I notified the front desk on two different occasions and also advised our house keeper and all I got was, " Uhh, will send someone to look at it"...The only restaurant to eat is their buffet or steak house. The buffet was good for breakfast but it's $20.00 ppr. Tried it for dinner, just ok. Steak house, overpriced. Had dinner once at the restaurant by the family section (BBQ night) and the food was horrible... Since our grandbabies (ages, 6, 5 & 3) stayed at the family suites, we spent most our time there. Much need of an upgrade but it served it's purpose. No free kids club , no kids pool, andddd, the private island was full of mosquitos which attacked one of my grandson. We had to leave after a few hours since his face, arms and legs had bites all over...So we spent most our time at the pool. We took a trip to Palm Beach, (located by Hilton & Radisson) and the kids had a great time. But on the positive side, there were several nights they had great live music playing by the pool side. Also, this building is located next to the Rennaissance market. Several restaurants to choose from, movie theater, subway's and donut donuts...The market area also provided live music. So overall, Aruba is beautiful and spending time with the grandkids made our trip. However, if I return back to Aruba, I will be staying elsewhere..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
ArubaHospitality, Director of Operations at Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Lourdes,

Appreciate your feedback & indeed we are in the process of renovating our Ocean Suites Towers, the section of our Resort which you liked, & is scheduled to be completed around November/December this year. I do hope to welcome you back after the complete renovation of the Ocean Suites

Regards
Parimal Trivedi
Director of Operations
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My girlfriend and I just returned from a week stay at the Renaissance Marina Hotel. Room was clean, bed very comfortable, bathroom very nice, view was incredible. Food was very good and service was excellent. Juana, manager of the Aquarius restaurant, greeted us with a warm smile and conversation every morning. The Blue Bar is awesome. Make sure you look up Jose, (bartender) and Elisabeth (server). They go above and beyond to make you feel welcome and special and are a lot of fun to chat with. Pool is small but the lounge chairs are very comfortable. Great place to relax and chill. Went to the private island several times.
Plenty of lounge chairs and towels are provided. Papagayo bar/restaurant on the island was fun. Recommend the brick oven fired pizza. Jac and Silvano, (bartenders) provided excellent service and were very friendly.
Nice breeze blowing all the time which helps you manage the heat. I would love to return to Aruba and stay at the Renaissance again. Great experience.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank TerryWM79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Aruba
Divi Aruba
#2 of 6 in Oranjestad
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
#3 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!