Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Talk of the Town Hotel & Beach Club(Oranjestad)(Great Value!)
US$167
US$140
Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort(Oranjestad)
US$228
US$221
Bookit.com
US$107
US$86
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa(Palm - Eagle Beach)
US$452
Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino(Palm - Eagle Beach)(Great Value!)
US$149
US$145
Andicuri Inn(Oranjestad)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Costa Linda Beach Resort(Palm - Eagle Beach)
5,263 results
All reviewsprivate islandmarina sideblue barboat ridewater taxipink flamingosfamily beachadult beachlg steakhouseocean suiteseafood buffetdutch pancake househappy hourque pasamovie theaterpalm beachsole
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 August 2014

What a beautiful place to stay in the heart of the city. My wife and I visited the spa which was 5 star. Definitely take the boat over to Renaissance Island, they have a family friendly side and an adults only side. The restaurant on the island was fantastic! We also did the seafood buffet one night, for the price you cannot beat the meal, the freshest seafood prepared right in front of you! The rooms were very nice as well and there are 2 casinos where you can try your luck. We visited for our 20th anniversary and are already looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: The main hotel, I think it was called Marina View, was recently renovated. The Ocean Side has it's own beach but the main building has a boat in the lobby to take you directly to Renaissance Island.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony R
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We arrived on a delayed flight from Newark NJ. Lucky to get to the check in before the rest of the arrivals. We traded in from our Kissimmee Fla timeshare resort with Interval. The people in front of us were owners, and they were not told that there corner unit was not available, due to renovation construction on that floor. This was a theme throughout, for timeshare owners. One owner told us that there are 3 floors designated for timeshares, the rest are rentals, which limits which room is available to owners.
Check-in was a back and forth, to try and get a decent room as I did not want to be on the first floor. We ended up on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool, which was fine. Although small, the room was clean and we had a super housekeeping lady!
The room: not yet renovated, our room looked like it had been a hotel room, made into a 1 bedroom. There were false walls in the bathroom, and a small kitchenette along the wall ( which served us fine). A small sitting area with TV, and a dinette table. We had a balcony with 2 chairs and a small table, nice to sit out in the morning. The bedroom was small, with 2 doors at 90 degree angles; one to the bathroom and one the outer room. I had to sleep with the door open because I felt a little closed in.
The pool: clean and very refreshing. We were there when the Dutch were playing the in the World Cup, so the swim up pool bar was busy. They had 2 TV's hanging over the bar. The only problem we ran into was that the resort did not control people and their boom-box battles. It was quite over the top.
The beach : Do not come here if you want to swim in the ocean. They've made a small cove, so that sea water can come in. I found it to be yucky, and I couldn't bring myself to go in. We took a bus up to Eagle Beach for a day.
Renaissance Island was also a man made cove, but the ocean waves came over the wall and replenished the water, making it seem much more fresh.
Renaissance Island: They provide boat transfer over to the island. Make sure you have your room key, because some of the drivers check to be sure you're a guest. You can catch the boat at the marina hotel, or the ocean suites. However, if the tide is low, they cannot pick up at the marina side, so they will get you at the dock. The ride is short, and can be rough in the early afternoon. When you get there, the adult side is to the right, the family side to the left. The family side has all of the amenities, the restaurant, bathrooms, towels, etc. There are flamingoes on the adult side. The beach has benches, and palapas. We were there in March, and there were enough chairs, although never any extras. Bring a float with you and you can float in the water, there are no waves. By the way, don't be concerned about hearing the planes land. Most of the planes are small ones, and the few jets really are not bothersome. It's not like you're getting a sonic blast of sound.
Food: We did not do all inclusive, which was not a problem. First off, get the free newspaper at the front desk each day. There are coupons for dinner specials. We used one for The Driftwood- a local seafood restaurant. Using the coupon, it was affordable. You can walk there, it is very close. Take the golf cart to the marina side. Walk down the street next to the hotel, staying right at the little circle. Walk down 2 blocks, turn left and you will find it. (Along the way is an very affordable supermarket, where we went for our milk, bread and snack- open until 9pm). Driftwood had very good food, I had grouper and I can't remember what my husband had. The wait staff is very professional, kind of like being in an upscale US restaurant. But beware, it is a long wait for food, so don't go there starving.
There is a mall in front of the resort, that has plenty of restaurants. Our favorite was Hopi Bon, an Asian fusion. Owned by a husband-wife from the Philippines, the food is delicious. We had fish both nights we ate there (tried for a 3rd night but they were closed). The wife cooks and he bartends and helps the waitress. I loved the grouper special, which has a hint of anise. My husband went for the beef and chicken combo- so tender! She cooks on a flat teppan-grill. We also ate at the Dutch Pancake house. Breakfast had these silver dollar pancakes, called poffertjes. Very tasty, sprinkled with powdered sugar. We also had dinner there, schnitzel. It was amazing. I had veal, my husband had chicken. There was nothing wrong with his, but the veal had much more flavor! Wait staff was very nice, attentive and accommodating. We also had pizza at the Italian place right in the front of the Renaissance ( forgot the name). Delicious thin crust! Owner, David, comes to each table after the meal. Nice and friendly. Note: we also ate the pizza on the private Island, which was every bit as good as this restaurant. Another night, we ate at the seafood buffet, in the marina side hotel mall. I think it was $39.99 per person, and it was very good. Warm water lobster, mahi mahi, grouper, shrimp- made to your order. Sushi, salads, and sides were good. It seems like, in Aruba, they like to sprinkle all kinds of nuts on top of their desserts, and I'm allergic. I asked for ice cream, and they said that it wasn't a buffet item, but they would bring me cheesecake. They brought me a huge piece, definitely for two. My husband and I enjoyed it- kind of a lemony cheesecake, delicious. I though that was really nice of them.
There is a steak restaurant there, but we didn't go to it. Iguana Joes, the food was not good. Dried out chicken, stale tortillas and runny guacamole.
About one block from the resort is the West Deck. It's a small restaurant, on the water. We had very good grouper sandwiches for lunch and delicious cheesecake for dessert. They ran out of dulce de leches, my favorite. I was looking forward to trying it aruban style. Don't miss this place, it's reasonably priced and very good. Nice looking out over the water, and you can watch the planes land.
Evidently, the resort has a meal plan. The way it works is that they have a group of restaurants that participate in their plan, and you eat at them. No restaurants are actually at the ocean suite side, but there are several at the marina side. Be ready, though, Aruba food is very expensive.
All in all, the resort is tired. The marina side has been renovated and I understand the rooms are nice. We did not see them. They are in the middle of the renovation at the ocean suite side, so it remains to be seen how it turns out. I had been wanting to go here for years, and because I am a beach person, I was disappointed. The resort was fine, but the main draw in Aruba, for me, are the beaches. Although we had a nice time, the only reason I will not return is the lack of beach. If you're a pool person, it's a great location and the employees are nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank naps
ArubaHospitality, Director of Operations at Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking your time to let us know abour your recent vacation experience at the Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino, its layout, services, amenities & multiple food & beverage options within the Resort. I also would like to share that the Ocean Suites, where you stayed during your recent visit, is undergoing room renovation & is on schedule to be completed by the end of this year.
I do hope to welcome you back upon completion of our renovation.

Regards
Parimal Trivedi
Director of Operations

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Pros:
- Great location, it's not as crowded as the high rise/Palm beach area. It's close to a lot of shopping, restaurants, the beach, and within walking distance to the bus terminal (which is a lot cheaper than taking a taxi)
- Room was recently renovated. Nice and modern, very clean. Air conditioning worked well. The lobby is very inviting. Nice pool area. Rooms were also very quiet, there was a lot of traffic noise outside and music from the lobby at night but we could not hear it in our room. The people next door would play music kind of loud, we could hear it in the hallway but couldn't hear it once we got into our room.
- Great service. The staff at the tourist desk in the lobby were very helpful and knowledgeable about the area and activities. Our sink was not draining on our first day, we told the front desk and by the time we came back from the beach it was fixed.
- My FAVORITE part was the private island. Definitely the highlight of our stay. The island is breathtakingly beautiful and quiet. There's an adults only side which was great. The drinks (esp pina coladas) were delicious.

Cons:
- The food on the private island is terrible for the price
- Wifi is not free in the room (I understand this is pretty standard on the island, but still...). They do offer free wifi in the hotel lobby
- Toiletries such as lotions, shampoo, soap, and even sunscreen offered in the hotel gift shops are very expensive (there is a local supermarket located very close to the hotel that has a larger selection at better prices)

Overall, we had a great experience here and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephanie U
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed here in 2013 for my husband's birthday. We had a blast! The island and it's people are amazing. The hotel and amenities were awesome. The staff was helpful, accommodating and always happy to be of help! You must go to the private island. Had an amazing time. I loved Aruba!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nichey G
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed in the Ocean Suite section while at a family wedding. The Marina is right in the heart of downtown area. Good location if you want to be in the area of high end shops, casino and close to cruise ship area or just prefer a central location. Did not spend much time in the Marina to give much feedback other than the front desk staff was friendly and the Blue Bar next to the pool appeared to be a lively spot. The Ocean Suites are a few minute walk or you can catch a ride on a extended golf cart that goes back and forth to between the hotels. The Ocean Suites I read were under renovation. The Ocean Front room I had appeared to be one that had been finished. The room has a nice queen size bed and a modern shower. The shower is one that has no door, but a 3/4 Glass enclosure which may look good, but you are for sure to have a wet floor. The phone in my room did not have any of the feature buttons on it. Also, I had messages on it, that never showed. I left messages in other guest rooms---which they never got either. I did not report to the front desk. The hotel grants access to the private island which you get to with a boat that leaves either the Marina or the Dock at the Suites. This is a popular wedding spot and a perfect for private ceremony. The island has a adult side and the regular side that has the restaraunt bar as well. One note on the island. Its very close to the airport and planes taking off can be often and noisy enough to drown out a conversation.

Room Tip: The Ocean Front room is about 15 feet from the ocean. Nice --BUT--If you could get a Ocean View room that is toward the back of the hotel, you will have a better panoramic view and probably less expensive.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dontyouknow58

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent vacation experience at the Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino along with your kind words pertaining to it's location, amenity & services offered. I have also taken note of your housekeeping observations & will surely look into it in order to avoid reoccurance.

I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Regards