“A beautiful resort on a beautiful island”
Review of Divi Aruba

Divi Aruba
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I just returned from an amazing trip at the Divi All Inclusive (Dec 13-18). Everyone that worked at the resort (particularly the lovely front desk ladies, Gizzy and Randolph- Panda!) were very friendly, the grounds and rooms were very clean and well landscaped. The beds were super comfortable and I slept like a baby the whole time. The resort is right on the beach and seemed much more relaxing than the high rise hotels we passed. We had an Oceanview room and we loved sitting on our porch and taking in the beautiful view. The drinks and food were plentiful (although I didn't love the food but I'm a New Yorker and we're snobs :) and the shows at night (particularly the dance show on Saturday night from the Ballet Folklorico National de Aruba- don't miss it!) were very entertaining. I liked being able to wander over to the Tamrijn as well to switch up the scenery. I will definitely be back and daydream often of being there instead of freezing NYC.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank kassabanana
There are newer reviews for Divi Aruba

Reviewed 22 December 2013

If you are wondering whether or not to travel to Aruba, allow me to persuade you. As an island, Aruba is one of the cleanest, safest, and easiest to travel on. You can leave the resort to experience all that Aruba has to offer. As some of you may know, this is not the case on some Caribbean islands. The weather is always a beautiful 80ish degrees, with minimal rain, as Aruba is a desert. The beaches are spectacular with crystal clear water and soft white sand. Make sure you bring your snorkel, as there is always something amazing to see under the lapping waves. We rented a jeep one day and found many places to go with the provided map. We also went on a snorkeling outing booked through DePalm Tours that was wonderful. You should look into this. How often are you going to snorkel in a ship wreck?

The Divi Resort is on the more quiet side of the island (which we like). The beaches are uncrowded and lend to long walks. There is lots to find in the sand, and the surf isn't rough at all. There were always chairs available and there are shaded areas on the beach.

The rooms are small. We traveled as a family of 3 and it was a little sketchy at times. When asked if there were suites available, I was told I would have to go to the Divi golf resort across the street. The room we had now was steps from the beach. We decided to stay. Everything is a toss up, right? But just be aware that privacy is at a minimum when traveling with your children. The rooms were clean. They offer a mini fridge (although not stocked) and a safe (that you have to pay additionally for). There is no bottled water offered there, and had I known this would have brought my own refillable one. The drinks are plentiful, although you have to ask for premium liquor. The strawberry daiquiris were make with actual strawberries which was a nice touch. The food was pretty typical of an all inclusive. The breakfast and lunch had all the regulars and dinner had a nightly theme. We were there for Thanksgiving and had they had a lovely turkey buffet that night that was just as good as anything you'd find at grandmas. I was impressed. You have access to the restaurants are the Tamarajin, and we actually ate there most nights. Our favorite was the Italian and we ate there twice. Reservations are needed 2 nights in advance and this is slightly annoying as you are on vacation and don't want to worry about what time it is. One night all they had left was 9:30. I booked it, showed up at 8 and was still seated which I truly appreciated. Overall food was better than average.

The airline lost my son's luggage and when we arrived the resort supplied him with 2 t-shirts which was very kind. Although, the front dest ladies seemed annoyed when I kept asking if the luggage had arrived. They would not phone the airline for me, and I had to from my room which cost me an additional $7.00. This was simply annoying. Just help me out! They were clearly not interested. So, maybe the front desk staff needs to brush up on their people skills.

Bring extra money too, as you are nickel-and-dimed to death. Between the safe, the internet, phone calls and what not, we had excess charges totaling over $50.00. Most places we have stayed over the years have had these services included. I don't know if this would deter me from staying there again or not.

Overall, we had a wonderful vacation and the Divi added to the trip. The main high points are the location and access to shops and casinos with a low key feel. The food and people were both pleasant. Aruba is a paradise that I will return to!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
11  Thank StargazerLily80
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My husband and I just returned from a relaxing, week-long vacation at the Divi Aruba All Inclusive (Dec 7-Dec 14). This was our 2nd visit to Aruba. The 1st time was 9 years ago and we were amazed at the development that has occurred on the island since then. The section with the high-rise hotels is virtually unrecognizable. We stayed at the Occidental Hotel 9 years ago and it was one of the few hotels on the strip. Now, it is completely overshadowed by massive hotel and time-share complexes. During our recent trip, we observed crowded beaches and tons of people everywhere in the high-rise section. Not to mention the casinos, shopping plazas, restaurants and bars that have popped up in the high-rise section of Aruba.

All of the commercialization and crowds in the high-rise strip made us grateful for the Divi Resort, which is located in the much less busy low-rise area of Aruba. The Divi is on a beautiful, wide, clean beach. The water is crystal clear with no seaweed. The temperature was hot at around 30 celcius each day, but there are constant winds that moderate the climate. The weather was actually quite pleasant due to the breezes.

On to the Divi resort itself. I have broked my review into PROS and CONS. The CONS are opporuntities for the resort to improve itself to deliver a truly exceptional guest experience.

PROS
-location, location, location. Gorgeous beach, clear aqua water, situated in the quiet low-rise section of Aruba.

-plentiful room on the beach. Lots of spaces and loungers available. We never had any issues securing a spot in the shade.

-the food was very good overall but not outstanding. We tried the Red Parrot one night for dinner but otherwise stuck to the buffet. There was a good selection of food available at every meal.

-the staff at the buffet was hard-working and took pride in their jobs. We noticed they worked as a unit and always had a pleasant attitude.

-housecleaning did a good job, room was kept very clean.

-concierge staff was helpful.

CONS
-the Divi charges $2/day for key to the safe in the room. Why?This charge seems excessive and unneccessary. It seems that the Divi is nickel-and-diming. Not only that, but the safe is located under the sink in the bathroom, which is inconvenient and awkward. The key to the safe is the old-fashioned kind on a lanyard that you have to take everywhere with you. Surely, if the Divi is going to charge $2/day for a safe, at the very least they can upgrade to the new modern programmable ones.

-the Divi charges $15/day for wifi, $30 for 3 days and $50/ 7 days. Seriously? Again, this seems excessive. In today's day and age, most guests expect free wifi. Build it into the cost of a stay at the Divi, instead of charging for use. Seems like a cheap & tacky policy to charge for wifi.

-not only does the Divi charge for wifi, it also charges for use of the business centre. When we were there, the entire business centre was down and not functioning. They told us it would be one month before it could be fixed. How come so long? I looked and there appeared to be about 4 computers set up. There is also a cost associated with using the business centre. I believe it started at $10 for 15 minutes use. But if the business centre is not functioning, it seems unfair to therefore expect guests to pay for their own wifi. Shouldn't the $15/day wifi charges be waived or significantly reduced if the resorts own business centre is not up-and-running?

-there is a mini-fridge in the room, yet it is not stocked. At the very least, it could be stocked with bottled water and pop. I think many guests would appreciate these small considerations.

-the front of the resort is underwhelming. It almost looks like a shed, in spite of some Christmas decorations placed around the front. Not the sort of grand entrance one would expect when pulling up to a 4-star resort.

-front desk staff was indifferent at best and sometimes had surly attitudes. The front desk staff are the ambassadors of the resort and should have positive customer relations. It was always "No, we can't do that" but they never provided constructive or alternate solutions. One day, I asked a question about a certain place in Aruba and they snickered and openly laughed at me. It turned out I was right after all, but their overall negative attitudes was a real turn-off.

-finally, it would be wonderful if a hotel manager or customer relations person actually responded to Trip Advisor reviews. I have never seen a response from Divi management on the Trip Advisor forum, unlike many other hotels and resorts. It would be nice to hear if Divi management reads these reviews, whether positive or negative, and has taken action steps to address some concerns. There are Trip Adivsor stickers at the front reception area and Trip Advisor logos proudly posted on their website, yet curiously no responses from management to the comments on this site.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
28  Thank J_M_S_Toronto
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Overall, a great trip. We walked along this side of the beach with the other low rise hotels as well as the high rise area, and this is definitely the place to be if you want a relaxing laid back vacation. There is hardly anyone on this beach and the high rise area has a ton more people and is not as beautiful if you ask me. Clear blue water and white sand. Don't worry about looking up the weather. Even if it's not perfectly sunny everyday it's hot and the rain and clouds go by so quickly! We took a quick cab ride to the hotel. You can also take a bus, but it just takes longer.

Friendly bartenders, especially Raphael. He is great! Some of the other staff could definitely be more helpful and friendly. We had a trail of ants in our room one night. We looked out of our front door, and there were a ton of ants. We called the front desk (night audit woman). She transferred us to housekeeping. We then tried to call the front desk over and and over again no answer. We then went down to the front desk and she said housekeeping was gone for the day. Then why did she transfer us to them? She said she had no spray and no access to it. She offered us another room to go into, but it was right next to ours! We looked at just the front door of the room. Still a ton of ants! She didn't even call afterwards to ask if our new room was ok. Absolutely no follow-up. We then saw someone (looked like the head of housekeeping) spraying the next morning outside of the "new room" we were supposed to move to. We asked her if she could spray outside of ours. She gave us an attitude and was like you're the ones who called last night? She said that's nature. Why not just said sure I will spray? That may be nature for you, but it's not where I come from in Chicago. Also, I did see two cockroaches while on property. Not sure if this is "nature?" Be prepared to see lots of lizards and birds too during your buffet breakfast and buffet lunch meals.

The pool and beach are really what make this property. Food is good, not great, but then again it is an all inclusive. It's nice having access to the Tam so you have more options for food/bars. The Tam is not as nice though.

Go to the butterfly farm! Very cool and interesting. Overall, not a whole lot to do in the area, but the beach is what makes this trip.

The service of some of the employees at the front desk and housekeeping as well as the outdated rooms would be what could possibly prevent me from returning.

Room Tip: If you want to save money, stick with the garden view rooms and ask to be near the ocean. They are a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 849sarah
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My bf and I got a last minute deal at this all inclusive and I must say it was a beautiful get away for us. You should make dinner reservations after check in to be sure you get the dinning option you want. It was nice that we could use the Divi and Tamarjin offerings. The crowd is older so the energy is lower. Often my bf and I were the 1st ones on the dance floor to get people going. The rooms were nice, clean, and all of our requests were met in a timely fashion. Oh, and they have a shuttle that goes from the hotel to the casino ever 15 min or so. That was a cool bonus!!!

I did not know this but - people get up super early and lay out chairs. They take this very seriously and also save chairs for friends (not exactly allowed but it's done) so - if you want a chair put on out with a towel when you get up in the AM or before you hit the bed at night.

Want something that "they don't have" - pull out some US dollars and nothing is off limits ... not that this is new news. I find it's a general rule no matter where you go!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank MissInternational080
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Wow the renovations at both the Divi & Tamarjin are great. The food seemed better this time and we had a great room, which was a short walk to a private pool area and the main lobby. Our room was clean, as was the grounds & pool area. The staff was friendly. Everything you need is right there! The beach is clean, quiet and not too crowded. My only complaint would be the birds & flies. I saw birds land on the bucket full of strawberry daiquiri mix. I had wondered if any had ever pooped in there while hanging around.The bartender didnt even look before he grabbed it and poured some into the blender...YUCK! Then I saw the birds sticking their beaks in the bottles of booze. How they didnt get drunk is beyond me, but it sort of grossed me out so I stuck to wine & beer. The flies landed on every surface at the bar, from the blender to the mixes, never mind swatting them away all during breakfast. Then there was the bar staff who handed a guest who requested, a plate full of lettuce to feed the iguanas. While sitting at the bar I did not appreciate having 20 big iguanas at my bare feet looking for more lettuce. The staff was friendly and the restaurant food was good when the flies went to bed for the night. I just wished they covered more food at the buffet so I could have sampled more and made an attempt to cover the strawberry daiquiri/pina colada mixes at the bar. Also watch out at night for those carts that take guests around the grounds, I'm pretty sure they have the right of way! Overall we had a great stay and would definately return there.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Beenthere&donethat
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Having never travelled to the Caribbean before, we were slightly apprehensive about what it would be like, but we were not disappointed! It is a little breezy on Aruba, but believe me you will be very thankful for it!

The Divi Aruba has a fantastic position on the beach and having travelled around the Island I can honestly say it is by far one of the best. Ok, the hotel is not 5* standards, but it is clean, well maintained and the bars and restaurants were fantastic. Our room had an unbelievable view and there was something very special about watching the sunset from our balcony.

We were not disappointed with the service and met some wonderful people.

Our friends also got married whilst we were there and their beach ceremony at the Divi was exceptionally beautiful.

Although the Island was rather quiet for our taste, if you want to spend two weeks chilling out on an amazing and somehow never crowded beach, this is the place to go.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank NatalieSpencer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Divi Aruba? Share your experiences!