“Honeymoon”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Cleveland, Tennessee, United States
“Honeymoon”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We had a wonderful experience. The staff was very friendly, the room was good, matteress could use a little updating, but very clean and cleaning staff provided anything you needed. The beach is great the food was awesome but you must call ahead on restaurants if you want seating in High Season we had no problem in October. HIGHLY RECOMMENT THE RED PARROT! WOW the food was fabulous. I do wish they had an all inclusive package for people who do not drink though! Highly Recommend!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Bonnie S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
  • Korean first
Romulus, Michigan
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Thanksgiving Week was a great time to relax and enjoy the beach at the Divi. Windows on Aruba was a wonderful dining experience thanks to hostess Sonja and Server Lynn. Thanks again for a relaxing and wonderful evening.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank detmike2000
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I visited the Divi last month. Overall I have to say I loved staying here even with a few minor negatives. This is a beautiful beach. My wife and I went to the high rise area to compare our beach to those and the Divi is the best I saw. This was during low season and the high rise area wasn't crowded but still had a lot less open area. At high season the high rise area would be awful unless you are 21 and like shoulder to shoulder crowds. The food was good not great but since there are many Americans the food definitely is more geared to our palate than say Punta Cana. The Red Parrot was outstanding. The crowd here was pretty diverse - some honeymooners ; couples with young children ; and then couples in their 40s;50s and 60s. Not a big singles scene.

Let me make a statement here in comparison of Aruba to Punta Cana /DR since I bet many are looking at the all inclusive Caribbean vacation option. I stayed at a very nice resort the previous year in the DR. The price was comparable but other than the room I would have to give Aruba my vote hands down. The food is better by far, the beaches are prettier and nicer; no bug issues; don't have the fear of dysentery from drinking the water; this is an island with one of the best standard of living in the Caribbean so there is the safety issue. Always felt very safe everywhere I went on the island. One final note in comparison - in the DR every frozen drink comes out of a pre made dispenser. I know many folks believe that the drinks there are weak or almost alcohol free unless you ask the bartender to apply an extra shot. At the Divi every frozen drink is made to order in a blender so you see alcohol being added. There are specials every day and the drinks were very good. I plan on returning here despite the negative issue I mention below.

Here are the negatives: Wifi charge is ridiculous and excessive. There should be a free wifi area in the lobby and if you wish to pay for access in the room then pay for that. This is almost 2014 and this isn't a low budget hotel. The rooms need updating - in the states these are below a standard Hampton Inn level - they were clean just very basic. However you spend very little time there. The safe is a joke....charging $2 a day and having to haul a key around is also ridiculous. They should have modern safes in the closets. Finally, a negative on the pizza area. These are beautiful gas flame pizza ovens but the pizzas are really below average . I know you are saying right now - why would I expect good pizza in Aruba? It's just the equipment is there but they use pre made pizza discs with the consistency of styrofoam then add cheese & sauce. One final note is that they don't work hard to prevent birds from hanging around that bar area. It's unappetizing to see birds in the rafters above the area where food is being served. Then swooping in and out looking for crumbs when the bartender/chef walk away. I'm sure there are preventive measures to keep them away.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Simonettisays
NYC
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I just returned from an amazing trip at the Divi All Inclusive (Dec 13-18). Everyone that worked at the resort (particularly the lovely front desk ladies, Gizzy and Randolph- Panda!) were very friendly, the grounds and rooms were very clean and well landscaped. The beds were super comfortable and I slept like a baby the whole time. The resort is right on the beach and seemed much more relaxing than the high rise hotels we passed. We had an Oceanview room and we loved sitting on our porch and taking in the beautiful view. The drinks and food were plentiful (although I didn't love the food but I'm a New Yorker and we're snobs :) and the shows at night (particularly the dance show on Saturday night from the Ballet Folklorico National de Aruba- don't miss it!) were very entertaining. I liked being able to wander over to the Tamrijn as well to switch up the scenery. I will definitely be back and daydream often of being there instead of freezing NYC.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank kassabanana
Reviewed 22 December 2013

If you are wondering whether or not to travel to Aruba, allow me to persuade you. As an island, Aruba is one of the cleanest, safest, and easiest to travel on. You can leave the resort to experience all that Aruba has to offer. As some of you may know, this is not the case on some Caribbean islands. The weather is always a beautiful 80ish degrees, with minimal rain, as Aruba is a desert. The beaches are spectacular with crystal clear water and soft white sand. Make sure you bring your snorkel, as there is always something amazing to see under the lapping waves. We rented a jeep one day and found many places to go with the provided map. We also went on a snorkeling outing booked through DePalm Tours that was wonderful. You should look into this. How often are you going to snorkel in a ship wreck?

The Divi Resort is on the more quiet side of the island (which we like). The beaches are uncrowded and lend to long walks. There is lots to find in the sand, and the surf isn't rough at all. There were always chairs available and there are shaded areas on the beach.

The rooms are small. We traveled as a family of 3 and it was a little sketchy at times. When asked if there were suites available, I was told I would have to go to the Divi golf resort across the street. The room we had now was steps from the beach. We decided to stay. Everything is a toss up, right? But just be aware that privacy is at a minimum when traveling with your children. The rooms were clean. They offer a mini fridge (although not stocked) and a safe (that you have to pay additionally for). There is no bottled water offered there, and had I known this would have brought my own refillable one. The drinks are plentiful, although you have to ask for premium liquor. The strawberry daiquiris were make with actual strawberries which was a nice touch. The food was pretty typical of an all inclusive. The breakfast and lunch had all the regulars and dinner had a nightly theme. We were there for Thanksgiving and had they had a lovely turkey buffet that night that was just as good as anything you'd find at grandmas. I was impressed. You have access to the restaurants are the Tamarajin, and we actually ate there most nights. Our favorite was the Italian and we ate there twice. Reservations are needed 2 nights in advance and this is slightly annoying as you are on vacation and don't want to worry about what time it is. One night all they had left was 9:30. I booked it, showed up at 8 and was still seated which I truly appreciated. Overall food was better than average.

The airline lost my son's luggage and when we arrived the resort supplied him with 2 t-shirts which was very kind. Although, the front dest ladies seemed annoyed when I kept asking if the luggage had arrived. They would not phone the airline for me, and I had to from my room which cost me an additional $7.00. This was simply annoying. Just help me out! They were clearly not interested. So, maybe the front desk staff needs to brush up on their people skills.

Bring extra money too, as you are nickel-and-dimed to death. Between the safe, the internet, phone calls and what not, we had excess charges totaling over $50.00. Most places we have stayed over the years have had these services included. I don't know if this would deter me from staying there again or not.

Overall, we had a wonderful vacation and the Divi added to the trip. The main high points are the location and access to shops and casinos with a low key feel. The food and people were both pleasant. Aruba is a paradise that I will return to!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank StargazerLily80
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My husband and I just returned from a relaxing, week-long vacation at the Divi Aruba All Inclusive (Dec 7-Dec 14). This was our 2nd visit to Aruba. The 1st time was 9 years ago and we were amazed at the development that has occurred on the island since then. The section with the high-rise hotels is virtually unrecognizable. We stayed at the Occidental Hotel 9 years ago and it was one of the few hotels on the strip. Now, it is completely overshadowed by massive hotel and time-share complexes. During our recent trip, we observed crowded beaches and tons of people everywhere in the high-rise section. Not to mention the casinos, shopping plazas, restaurants and bars that have popped up in the high-rise section of Aruba.

All of the commercialization and crowds in the high-rise strip made us grateful for the Divi Resort, which is located in the much less busy low-rise area of Aruba. The Divi is on a beautiful, wide, clean beach. The water is crystal clear with no seaweed. The temperature was hot at around 30 celcius each day, but there are constant winds that moderate the climate. The weather was actually quite pleasant due to the breezes.

On to the Divi resort itself. I have broked my review into PROS and CONS. The CONS are opporuntities for the resort to improve itself to deliver a truly exceptional guest experience.

PROS
-location, location, location. Gorgeous beach, clear aqua water, situated in the quiet low-rise section of Aruba.

-plentiful room on the beach. Lots of spaces and loungers available. We never had any issues securing a spot in the shade.

-the food was very good overall but not outstanding. We tried the Red Parrot one night for dinner but otherwise stuck to the buffet. There was a good selection of food available at every meal.

-the staff at the buffet was hard-working and took pride in their jobs. We noticed they worked as a unit and always had a pleasant attitude.

-housecleaning did a good job, room was kept very clean.

-concierge staff was helpful.

CONS
-the Divi charges $2/day for key to the safe in the room. Why?This charge seems excessive and unneccessary. It seems that the Divi is nickel-and-diming. Not only that, but the safe is located under the sink in the bathroom, which is inconvenient and awkward. The key to the safe is the old-fashioned kind on a lanyard that you have to take everywhere with you. Surely, if the Divi is going to charge $2/day for a safe, at the very least they can upgrade to the new modern programmable ones.

-the Divi charges $15/day for wifi, $30 for 3 days and $50/ 7 days. Seriously? Again, this seems excessive. In today's day and age, most guests expect free wifi. Build it into the cost of a stay at the Divi, instead of charging for use. Seems like a cheap & tacky policy to charge for wifi.

-not only does the Divi charge for wifi, it also charges for use of the business centre. When we were there, the entire business centre was down and not functioning. They told us it would be one month before it could be fixed. How come so long? I looked and there appeared to be about 4 computers set up. There is also a cost associated with using the business centre. I believe it started at $10 for 15 minutes use. But if the business centre is not functioning, it seems unfair to therefore expect guests to pay for their own wifi. Shouldn't the $15/day wifi charges be waived or significantly reduced if the resorts own business centre is not up-and-running?

-there is a mini-fridge in the room, yet it is not stocked. At the very least, it could be stocked with bottled water and pop. I think many guests would appreciate these small considerations.

-the front of the resort is underwhelming. It almost looks like a shed, in spite of some Christmas decorations placed around the front. Not the sort of grand entrance one would expect when pulling up to a 4-star resort.

-front desk staff was indifferent at best and sometimes had surly attitudes. The front desk staff are the ambassadors of the resort and should have positive customer relations. It was always "No, we can't do that" but they never provided constructive or alternate solutions. One day, I asked a question about a certain place in Aruba and they snickered and openly laughed at me. It turned out I was right after all, but their overall negative attitudes was a real turn-off.

-finally, it would be wonderful if a hotel manager or customer relations person actually responded to Trip Advisor reviews. I have never seen a response from Divi management on the Trip Advisor forum, unlike many other hotels and resorts. It would be nice to hear if Divi management reads these reviews, whether positive or negative, and has taken action steps to address some concerns. There are Trip Adivsor stickers at the front reception area and Trip Advisor logos proudly posted on their website, yet curiously no responses from management to the comments on this site.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
28 Thank J_M_S_Toronto
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Overall, a great trip. We walked along this side of the beach with the other low rise hotels as well as the high rise area, and this is definitely the place to be if you want a relaxing laid back vacation. There is hardly anyone on this beach and the high rise area has a ton more people and is not as beautiful if you ask me. Clear blue water and white sand. Don't worry about looking up the weather. Even if it's not perfectly sunny everyday it's hot and the rain and clouds go by so quickly! We took a quick cab ride to the hotel. You can also take a bus, but it just takes longer.

Friendly bartenders, especially Raphael. He is great! Some of the other staff could definitely be more helpful and friendly. We had a trail of ants in our room one night. We looked out of our front door, and there were a ton of ants. We called the front desk (night audit woman). She transferred us to housekeeping. We then tried to call the front desk over and and over again no answer. We then went down to the front desk and she said housekeeping was gone for the day. Then why did she transfer us to them? She said she had no spray and no access to it. She offered us another room to go into, but it was right next to ours! We looked at just the front door of the room. Still a ton of ants! She didn't even call afterwards to ask if our new room was ok. Absolutely no follow-up. We then saw someone (looked like the head of housekeeping) spraying the next morning outside of the "new room" we were supposed to move to. We asked her if she could spray outside of ours. She gave us an attitude and was like you're the ones who called last night? She said that's nature. Why not just said sure I will spray? That may be nature for you, but it's not where I come from in Chicago. Also, I did see two cockroaches while on property. Not sure if this is "nature?" Be prepared to see lots of lizards and birds too during your buffet breakfast and buffet lunch meals.

The pool and beach are really what make this property. Food is good, not great, but then again it is an all inclusive. It's nice having access to the Tam so you have more options for food/bars. The Tam is not as nice though.

Go to the butterfly farm! Very cool and interesting. Overall, not a whole lot to do in the area, but the beach is what makes this trip.

The service of some of the employees at the front desk and housekeeping as well as the outdated rooms would be what could possibly prevent me from returning.

Room Tip: If you want to save money, stick with the garden view rooms and ask to be near the ocean. They are a...