“Divi Aruba - July 2013”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Queens, New York
“Divi Aruba - July 2013”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

great place. had an awesome time at the resort. all the people there were nice and well mannered. had awesome shows at night. food was great and the beach was nice and clean. i liked that the bartender kept mi drink full all the time. the rooms over all were nice and clean.

3 Thank FreddyARamirez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I will write a full review of this lovely hotel and island following my stay. At present I am still at the Divi beach resort . Word of warning , don't be fooled into purchasing the Wifi at the Hotel at $15 per day. Waste of money as it doesn't work!

Stayed July 2014
16 Thank Rod E
Toronto
Reviewed 29 July 2014

As other reviewers have said, I was a little worried about this trip after reading the negative reviews, but I have to say that it exceeded my expectations. We traveled with our 5-year-old and 2-year-old.

First of all, one thing about Aruba in general: it's windy. To me, this was not at all a negative thing because it made the weather very comfortable most of the time. I think the heat would have been unbearable if it weren't for the constant breeze. I also found that there were very few bugs at all and no one came home with bug bites.

We booked with Air Canada vacations. We found our rep at the airport no problem and he directed us to our shuttle bus. The transfer went smoothly and it was a short trip to the hotel. Hotel staff at reception were pleasant and we checked in quickly. I asked for a crib for our little one and it was in our room before dinner. Our rooms were ready for us when we got there. Based on the pictures I've seen online, we definitely got one of the newly renovated rooms in Vista II. It was a great building to be in, because it was close to the pool and buffet, but also close to a perfect spot on the beach. We were on the second floor on the "garden" side. It wasn't much of a garden and we were basically looking at the parking lot of the building next to us, but if you turned to the left you still had a decent view of the ocean. I'm not sure what the difference is price-wise between ocean view and garden view, but it wasn't really a big deal to be on the garden side. The room was very nice, clean and comfortable. The workmanship wasn't perfect, but it's a hotel not my house, so it didn't bother me. Our room had two queen size beds, an empty mini fridge (would have been nice to have it stocked with some bottled water at least), safe, tv, air conditioning unit and ceiling fan. As others have said, I think for the level of resort, guests should not have to pay $2/day to use the safe. Housekeeping was always prompt and thorough. We had two little issues (the A/C remote stopped working and a pipe came loose in the bathroom) and they were resolved right away. One thing to note with the bathroom is that there was only a stand-up shower. Having two little guys, it would have been nice to have a bath tub.

We mostly at the buffet at the Divi. The selection changed daily with different themes each night for dinner. The food was above average. We really enjoyed the pizzas from the snack bar next to the buffet as an afternoon snack. We also tried three of the four a la carte restaurants. The Red Parrot is the Caribbean restaurant and it was just ok. At the Palm Grill restaurant you cook your own food in the middle of your table. The problem with this is that the restaurant is not air conditioned and it set back a bit in the building, so you don't even get much of a breeze. So, imagine sitting in front of a hot grill on a tropical island, with no air flow. We were all sweating like crazy so we basically cooked and ate as fast as possible so we could get out of there! Paparazzi is the Italian restaurant and we found that the quality of the food and service were way above what we had experienced anywhere else in the resort. To me, that's the one a la carte not to be missed! Based on the food in the buffet on "Chinese night" we decided to skip Ginger, the Asian restaurant.

The beach at the Divi seemed to be the nicest on that section of the island. At the Tamarijn there was a bit of a drop and then there were large rocks. On the other side of the Divi, the beach was very narrow so everyone was squished into a small piece of beach. At the Divi there is a wide section of smooth beach that leads right into the ocean without any large rocks in the way. The pool was very nice too and it was great to have a little wading pool right next to it for our little one. You can borrow pool noodles, balls, beach toys and floating loungers from the towel hut. The entertainment during the day was fun too. We enjoyed the water aerobics and playing bingo in the afternoon.

The Divi is a very family-friendly resort, but there is little that is specifically geared towards young children. I think families with older kids would probably get the most out of it. There were lots of families there when we went and our boys did have other kids to play with, but it would have been nice if there were more activities or play areas geared towards younger children. There is a kids club but it's for ages 5-12. The other guests seemed mainly to be families or honeymooners. Young singles may find it a little quiet, unless that's what they're going for!

As others have said, some of the bartenders were less than friendly. I think they're just really focused on their job, though. Service was always quick, once you got their attention. My biggest issue with the resort was probably having to pay for Wi-Fi. Yes, you're on vacation and you want to focus more on your family than your phone, but some people do still need to stay connected. I did end up paying $50 for wi-fi for the week.

Overall, it was a fantastic vacation. We chose Aruba because July was the only time we could get away and it had the most predictably good weather at this time of the year. I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: The two Vista buildings are a little more private and less crowded than the buildings on the other s...
2 Thank TorontoMenina
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Just back from 2 wonderful weeks at the Divi.
Room good, bed comfortable, walk in shower. Maid service very good clean towels every day.
Food very good lots of choice, waiting staff happy and friendly.
Drinks, brand names, bar staff very good.
Theme restaurants very good, Asian was my favourite, hubby and I made them laugh when we ordered 4 starters and 4 mains, very good.
Windows over the road was very good, died and went to heaven when I had carrot cake, cheese cake with raspberries and raspberry sauce. 10 out of 10.
No free wi fi and had to paid for safe, which was not in a very good position which was under the sink. Phone stayed in the safe most if the holiday.
Trips good, went to baby beach and boat trip snorkelling very enjoyable, watch the drinks on the boat trip very strong.
I would defiantly recommend this hotel and would love to go back.
Karen our rep very helpful.
Take no notice of the negative comments.

6 Thank 480Max123
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This was part 2 of our Honey Moon. After coming from a new fancy resort in the Punta cana we felt like we came in to a motel our first night. the next morning after we got used to the room and it wasnt bad. there is no room serivce and the fridge doesnt come stocked which is odd for an all inclusive. There seem to be lizzards living above the outside door to the room. They are harmless but coming from up North we were not used to seeing lizards. The buffet is okay. nothing special. Do make dinner reservations asap. the food and service at paparatzi was great.

the Beach is beautiful but very rocky. bring water shoes if you want to go in to the water comfortably.

The entertainment is great!! We watched the Circus & carnavale show in Tamarijan.

since its in the low rise area the beaches are not over crowded as the high rise area.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 7217. Great view of the ocean higher the better. I heard the newly renovated rooms...
1 Thank Deves
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Just returned from a weeks stay at the Divi All Inclusive. Do not believe the negative reviews you read.

Firstly the rooms: we had a second floor room (7302) with an amazing view of the beautiful beach and palm trees. The room was immaculately clean and had everything you would need. The maid came every single day to clean the room and leave fresh towels. In my personal opinion the rooms are not "dated" as people would suggest, just simply not ultra modern! but who goes all the way to the Caribbean to sit in their room??

The restaurants: All the restaurants including the buffet were great. Do not have a negative thing to say about the food. Their is bar also, Coco's, which does snacks, the pizzas were amazing. Serves from 11am till 1 in the morning. Window's which is just across from the hotel was the best food I have ever had! The hotel do a deal 3 course meal for $35 and it really was out of this world!

The staff: I found everyone to be very friendly and helpful. The bartenders especially were very friendly and attentive. They were pouring you another drink before you even had to ask. All the drinks also were the big brands i.e Bacardi, Southern Comfort.

The beach: wow! really does take your breath away. The most beautiful beach I have ever seen. Such white sand and crystal clear water. There are plenty of umbrellas and sunbeds on the beach and NEVER had a problem with finding a spot. Granted the beds around the pool were always taken from the crack of dawn but this didn't bother us as the beach is absolutely wonderful.

Overall: Yes, there is wind on this island, but you do get use to it and if it wasn't for the breeze the heat would be unbearable, it was very welcome! I would suggest this hotel to anyone. Really is 10 out of 10. Do not let the negative reviews put you off. You see reviews that go on about flies, birds, wind *moan moan moan* you can get this anywhere!! Is it really the hotel's fault that there are a few flies?? I don't think so!! So if you are looking for great food, friendly staff, and clean rooms with an out of this world beach then this hotel is for you!! Really did not want to leave this beautiful island! 5* all the way!

Room Tip: We had room 7302 and the view was breathtaking! Higher rooms are the best.
11 Thank becky d
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 24 July 2014

ACCOMMODATION ©©
Regular 3***-room, nothing particularly fancy or over the edge, the safe is paying (2$/day) and has a mechanical lock, not really practical when you are in a resort, best part fortunately is the king-size bed which is really comfortable. The problem here, as in any other resort we've been to, is the cleanliness, upon arrival we found a band aid in the shower, and frequently there were strands if hair in our clean towels, I know we are at a beach resort, and that the sand is part of it, but trust me we shared our room with the same grains for two weeks, there is a practical invention called vacuum cleaner.

RESTAURANT ©©©+
Almost gave it 5 ©, but unfortunately the staff has a very different conception of service than what we are used to, and you almost felt like you are an inconvenience for them....well guys we are the ones that pay your salary, there are luckily some exceptions like Anthony, Michael and Pancho who always went the extra mile with a smile on their lips.
The high rate is due to the food which is of very good quality, and also it changes on a daily basis, meaning that in the buffet restaurant you will get the same menu every Monday, but since you also can use the a la carte restaurants in Divi and Tamarijn, you will probably be able to never eat the same thing twice.
We also tried the Red Parrot and the Ginger (Tamarijn), during our stay and they are excellent choices for an evening of tranquility and good food.

BAR ©©©©
When you are not in the water or sunbathing, where do you hang? In the beach bar obviously. They can mix you almost any known long drink or cocktail known to mankind. The staff here is professional and friendly, I cannot remember any of them having the "who cares?" attitude. Special thanks to Claudia, Robertico, Juan, Alexandre and Raphael.

BEACH©©©

How can I give only 3, to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Well it is very simple, the cleanliness, you have a lot of clients that helps with keeping the beach filthy, but unfortunately the resort do not clean the beach on a daily basis, or maybe never, as we never saw anyone during two weeks that cleaned except for the tables where you could leave your empty glass.

OTHER
So why is Wifi paying $15/day. You can also get weekly packages but I don't remember the rates, but I still believe that in 2014 it should be free of charge.

Would we return, most probably, the main reason would be the restaurants and the bar staff, I do not think that we would find better accommodation in any other resort unless we choose a chain hotel.

4 Thank Steffo73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Divi Aruba? Share your experiences!