“Great Location, Great Food, Great Service, Great Facilities, Great Holiday!!!”

Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Reviewed 13 July 2009

I have never written a review before but felt obliged to after reading the last review on this website “Never Again”.

Firstly let me tell you about me and why I choose this hotel/Aruba. . .

I am a 22 year old English male with a 20 year old English girlfriend (who I though I best let tag along! Lol). We chose Aruba after seeing the pictures in The Sun newspaper one Saturday afternoon, the particular picture was that off the Dutch style colonial buildings in the countries capital of Oranjestad which my girlfriend quickly labelled “Noddy Town”! Before that, like most people, I had never heard of the island! So cue purchasing a Frommers travel guide (Very good purchase).

The guide is a very good way of finding your hotel before confronting the sales hungry travel agent. The choice was narrowed down between the Divi Aruba All Inclusive Hotel and the Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive. Staying at either of these hotels gives you access to all the facilities at both. So now the choice? Which to Pick? Well simple really… if your going as a couple pick the Divi if your going as a family pick the Tamarijn! Why? Divi is a quieter hotel (from my experience) whereas the Tamarijn is livelier (in terms of people activity).

**IMPORTANT**
Before going to the travel agent find out the agents price on the internet as its much cheaper then phone the travel agents main sales office and tell them the internet price and they will beat that price for you. You then take this price into the shop and the travel agent will match it. Note – if the travel agent has many different companies i.e. Thomas Cook, First Choice and Portland then the price sometimes varies depending on company.

Now to ARUBA and the HOTEL!!!

Flight to Aruba is approximately 9 Hours.

Transfer Time to DIVI is max of 20 minutes.

Aruba’s drinking water is the purest in the world and therefore safe to drink – although due to the heat the cold water comes out lukewarm. However the DIVI has ice machines on the end of most blocks of rooms and provide an ice bucket and fridge in the room.

Aruba has a constant breeze such that it doesn’t always feel as hot as it is AND means lots of people underestimate the sun and end up RED!!!

On arrival to the hotel you are greeted with a cool flannel each and a bottle of water each. Your bags are removed from the coach and put to one side. Here the concierge labels bags with your room number and you are directive to the left-hand side to check-in.

You are provide with a card each for beach towels and two room keys and have the option to a safety deposit box (this is charged on checkout at $2.00 USD per day of stay, you are also asked if you would like to make a donation, I said no because I’m tight!! This is $1.00 USD per day of stay and completely optional).

The main reception/welcome area has a desk for making dinner reservations at one of the four A la Carte restaurants, three shops, a desk for golf reservations and a car higher desk. There is also seating with large flat screen televisions.

The reception area leads directly onto a pool centrally, a snack bar to the left and the Vista rooms to the left.

The Vista rooms are two blocks of two storey rooms located at a 50 degree angle to the beach. This is the accommodation that we stayed in. The 2nd floor rooms all have a balcony with a table and two chairs. The lower floor has a patio with the same. All of these rooms will offer a beach/sea view from the balcony. The end rooms on each block are on the beach and have complete beach/sea view. There is approximately 20 rooms on each level.

Our room had a super king-sized bed, a large flat screen television, safe, fridge (although you do not receive a stocked mini bar), iron and ironing board, well stocked coat-hangar wardrobe, table, chair, sofa and has paintings on the wall and flours on the table and finally a plant in the corner. Double patio doors open onto the balcony.

The bathroom is a good size with two sinks (so no arguments on who spits in who’s! lol) There is also a bath/shower combo.

The cleaners spend a good 30 - 45 minutes cleaning each room! They have the chairs and sofas out and everything!

The rooms are fully air-conditioned and operated manually. A fan is also included.

The rooms were very clean and tidy and very much Caribbean in style. You can also hear the sea in bed at night :D!

The other rooms at the DIVI are located to the far side of the pool. These rooms are all single stories and staggered in blocks of approximately 8 rooms. The furthest of these rooms is probably 20m from the beach. As for trees blocking sea view I think people are having tunnel vision!!!

Behind these rooms there is a block of suits which have a swimming pool and Jacuzzi combo. I think these rooms can be found by looking at the DIVI suites on the internet and believe these rooms have a kitchenette and other facilities (hence little bit pricier) although they are still all inclusive rooms! This is a three story block but is well hidden by various foliage although it appears that all 2nd and 3rd story rooms have a clear sea view. The swimming pool hear is often quieter during the holidaymaker change-around as people seem to miss it. Be warned though it does get busy once people realise its there!!

The main pool located by reception is surrounded by sun beds and can get rather busy poolside, however have not seen the pool itself over packed.

There is a bar between the pool and beach which again provides local and international drinks.

There is a snack bar to the left of this pool. It is open from 11am till 1am. It serves snacks such as made to order pizzas and baguettes etc. It also has a pop corn maker!!! It is a fully locally and internationally stocked bar which provides all drinks and snacks as part of the all inclusive program. Behind this bar is a self-service ice cream machine with three different flavours! It is delicious and also very much an art (you will see what I mean when you see it!!!

Ahead of the snack bar is the main buffet restaurant. This is located beachside. This provides fruit/salad/sauces station, 6 buffet choices, and then approximately 12 freshly cooked (mostly to order) food stations. There are also chips/soup/bread etc.

The food provided here is the best I have eaten so far in the Caribbean and Mediterranean (previous holiday locations). The choice is very good, the taste is excellent and the quality of produced can easily be tasted. It wont disappoint! Ignore the “terrible food” reviews from Americans who’s pallets have been ruined and abused on years of junk food and cola.

The breakfast choice is the same every day but this choice is wide and again a lot of the food will be cooked fresh for you.

Lunch is more varied than breakfast (although the ever-present choice of burger/hot dog and chips) and is of a very good quality.

Dinner is themed every night and is excellent with multiple choices of varied cuisine.

Tables are waiter serviced for drinks.
The DIVI has one a la carte restaurant on site – The Red Parrot this serves Caribbean food and is of a very high standard. You would quiet happily pay for your meal even though your on an all inclusive package!

You are required to make a reservation for the a la carte restaurants. HOWEVER A RESERVATION CAN ONLY BE MADE ON THE CURRENT OR NEXT DAY, hence ignore American exaggerations in the previous post as its utter [--]! We did not leave our room until 10am every morning and managed to make reservation for a total of 6 nights in a thirteen night stay (ignoring the first night) and I we only tried to book 8 times so were happy. Especially seeming the quality of the buffet restaurant was so high.

Now the beach…

It is gorgeous.

Amazing.

Arguably the best bit of beach (I saw) on the island.

The beach is narrower towards the Vista rooms but opens up in the area between the two hotels. Although the width by the vista rooms is plenty.

The sea can be fairly rough at times with some sharp breaking waves but is good fun! Be warned its colder than other Caribbean destinations I have been!! And fish (2 foot long) will swim past you occasionally at waist height!

Staying at the DIVI you get full use of the Tamarijn hotel facilities. I will quickly summarise these as your probably getting bored by now!

3 Pools – they may be one more although I’m not sure.

3 a la carte restaurants’ –

Ginger an oriental experience (good if you like fish which I don’t so was limited to a couple of choices and sods law trumped as I discovered I don’t like satay sauce but the beef starter was to die for!!!)

Paparazzi an Italian restaurant which was very good.

And finally my favourite … Palm Grill. Here you have to cook the food on the centre of the table yourself. By far the best I had during our stay. The marinades used on the meats were exquisite and mouth-wateringly amazing.

A snack bar – which has a larger menu and does succulently coated chicken nuggets which is more like chicken pieces in breadcrumbs. Don’t worry you wont mind the kids having these as you will defiantly steal a fair few.

There are also a couple more bars at the Tamarijn.

Several shops, an arcade, wedding shop ;), internet lounge, tennis courts, fitness centre, rock-climbing wall and a water sports centre …. Plus more I’ve probably missed!!

Transport is provided between the two hotels and nearby casino all day and until 1am I think. Although your on holiday so theres no rush seeming it only takes 5-10 mins to walk between them plus you will burn off all the great food that’s seemingly clinging to your ever expanding ever tanning waist band!

All in the entire hotel is very good and I would defiantly go again! There is so much more I could write but I would be here all day and night and I would be straight down the travel agents tomorrow re-booking!!!

I strongly recommend getting out and about in Aruba either on a tour or rent a car. Its very safe and I ensure you will be amazed at what the north and east side of the island offers! You will be amazed!!

ENJOY :D

Oh and the only snag being that there are too many of a certain nationality who are abrupt and damn rite rude but not even they can ruin ARUBA!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Herefordshire1987
Write a ReviewReviews (2,949)

Reviewed 12 July 2009

We stayed at the Divi for our 25th Wedding Anniversary and could not fault this resort, although rooms were not the plushest we have stayed in they were spacious, clean and had everything you need in a room, we stayed in a terrace room set within the tropical gardens overlooking the sea, great to wake up to each morning.
Food was really good with plently of choices in the buffett , and yes you had to make reservations for all the al a carte restaurants but we managed to eat at them all and they were really good.
Location was fantastic right on the best beach in Aruba, staff were always friendly and helpful especially the bar staff who made the best cocktails ! Thompson cancelled our fantasy dinner cruise with 4 hours notice and no suggestions of an alternative !! Divi guest services came to the rescue and booked us a sunset dinner at the Divi Pheonix which was the most romantic setting you could wish for and the food was excellent.

Entertainment every night if you wanted it and complete relaxation in the day - what more could you ask for?
Getting around the island was easy using the local bus service although taxis were cheap.
De Palm Island, went on trip to this island, if you are not intending to either Sea Trek or Snuba dive it is not worth visiting the island food and drink not great and very little to do all day for the $98 it costs, Sea Trek and Snuba both really great things to do and the snorkeling was good although you are restricted to a certain area
Try Windows on Aruba, food and service were first class (take a cardi though air con made it quite chilly).
We would definately return to this hotel and recommend it to friends and family, met lots of great people some who had been coming to this resort for the last 10 years ! can't be bad can it ?

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank aruba2009London
Reviewed 9 July 2009

My fiance and I were so excited for this trip that we received as a gift!! When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by the front desk clerk, checked in and shown to our room. We kept walking further and further away from the main hotel, but we figured that the room would make up for the distance-WRONG! We walked into an old, outdated and DIRTY room. There was mildew all over the walls making them black along the floor. The bathroom was so old and stained that we refused to shower. Our "ocean view" that we paid extra to have was blocked by trees. Not to mention that our AC was broken and we spent the entire first night shaking!!
The next day we went to the front desk to request a newer room. We were told that they were at full capacity and would not be able to accomidate us for another 3 days. While trying to decide what to do, we figured that we would make a reservation for dinner-NOPE. All of the reservations had been made and the first available dinner was Sunday night at 9:30...it was only Friday morning at 10am!! We're at all all inclusive resort and our only option was to eat at the "snack bar". I'm pretty sure that we didn't fly to aruba to eat hot dogs.
We were so upset and only into our first full day of vacation! We called our travel agent and they were able to accomidate us as a better and newer all inclusive in the high rise section of the island.
DO NOT STAY AT THE DIVI....That is unless you like horrible rooms, terrible food and not showering..

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jamietess
Reviewed 9 July 2009

We returned to the Divi in Aruba for the 2nd time in 2 years. I noticed right away that they have done some work around the place. The beech was in perfect shape, huts replaced and tons of new sand. I have been reading the place had litter.. true first thing in the morning, but as I walked the beech starting at 6 am there was a good number of people cleaning up after the "party" the night before. I found the food selection to be even better this time around, having said that I am less than 2 years post gastric by-pass and was able to still find plenty of things to keep me on track. The staff was once again very polite and happy to assist you in any way they could. My wife and I were there for our 23rd anniversery and were greeted at check-in with a room upgrade, bottle of wine and glasses, nice touch and statrted the week on a super note. Now the ONL:Y complaint I have... we were hit with probably a very rare storm our last night there which knocked out power to the island, and probably the total rain fall for the year! there was no emergecy lighting in the hallways to the rooms. Again that is the only complaint / concern I had. Can't wait to go back and will again be staying at the Divi.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2009

My boyfriend and I went to Aruba to celebrate his 40th birthday in May 2008 (I turned 40 two weeks later). He had been to this resort in Sept. 2007 and raved about the beach. The accomodations were dated but acceptable but the stretch of beach was amazing!!!! We read books under palapas and just relaxed to the sounds of the ocean.

This was my first all inclusive resort and I especially enjoyed the convenience of not having to worry about having cash for everything. We would eat breakfast, go to the beach, walk back to the restaurant for lunch and then back to the beach. There were several dining selections for dinner and we tried all of them. We enjoyed the Italian restaurant at the sister resort, Tamijarin, especially since I decided to try ALL of the deserts.

My boyfriend and I went to a couple of casinos and I watched as I don't know how to play craps. He did OK and we enjoyed the nightlife.

Since it was his birthday, I asked if they could bake a birthday cake for him, which they gladly complied. Also, I scheduled beach side by side massages for us early one morning. He was surprised and enjoyed the experience tremendously - nothing compares to having a wonderful massage on the beach while listening to the sound of crashing waves while enjoying the sea breeze!

The highlight of the trip was renting a jeep to drive to the Natural Bridge. Getting there was part of the fun as it it a treacherous drive and often we wondered if we were going to turn over or get a flat tire. Once there, the beauty of the rugged shore with the enclosed Natural Pool was breathtaking. This was where my boyfriend wanted to spend his "birth moment" and we swam in the pool and then climbed to the "hot tub" area. The waves would come crashing over the rocks with such force that he once had to grab me by the ankle as I was swept backwards and almost fell into the ocean.

We walked along the rocky shore and found a Natural Bridge that was beautiful. We also built a "rock tower" as had many others as a symbol of our love and visit to the island.

The trip was spectacular and I fell in love all over again with him.

Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RayRuh
Reviewed 29 June 2009

We just returned from our second trip to the Divi/Tamarijn all inclusive in Aruba and I have to disagree with some of the things I have seen written about it. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it really is all about your expectations. If you are looking for an elegant 5 star type property you should go stay at one of the high rise properties and pay A LOT MORE.
I thought the buffet offerings were quite good. Plenty of variety and really good prime rib. It is true that the breakfast buffet was repetitive and could use a better selection of fresh fruits. Other than that, you have a choice of omelets, french toast, pancakes, all the standard breakfast meats, corned beef hash, potatoes, juices and much more. Exactly what is it that you want for breakfast?
As far as the service, there is an outstanding server in the evening at the Divi named Yaldo. The wine never stops flowing and he will remember you after the first night and bring you beverages that you don't even order. Take care of this guy and you will be impressed !!
There is plenty of "touristy" things to see on the island. There is good shopping downtown and plenty of live music both downtown and at the high rises. Alhambra casino is large and friendly if that is your thing.
The pools are quite small but the Carribean is very large and warm !!!

A great value !!

Feel free to contact me for more info at Mick1@aol.com

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank mick1952
Reviewed 26 June 2009

The main reason we booked the Divi/Tam is its perk "kids under 18 stay free". Other A.I. resorts would have charged over $1000 more in our case.

Our vacation is divided into 4 nts at the Tamarijn followed by 3 nts at the Divi. This review is for the Divi.

We booked ocean-view and requested lower floor in Vista 2 bldg. We were told rooms in Vista 2 lower floor are mostly King bed. So we were put in a corner room in Vista 1 lower floor. Since this room is at the end of the building on the beach side, it has a side window facing the ocean. The room is good size even with 2 queen beds. It is bigger thatn the room we had at the Tam. The room was clean and fairly updated. The bathroom has double sinks and A/C. Having moved over from the Tam, I was very pleased with all aspect of the room at the Divi. The extra counter space and double sinks in the bathroom were very welcoming.

The beach is definitely the selling point for this resort. Our room was steps from the white sand beach with many palapas. But you'd need to get up very early to "claim" one. I looked out my patio door one morning at 6:00am and quite a few of them were already taken. The waves in front of the Divi is a little rough. If you prefer calmer water, walk north on the beach to Manchebo resort (about 5-10 min walk). The beach there is calm and beautiful too.

The Pelican Bar is a perfect place to enjoy a cold tropical drink under the swaying palm trees. There are 2 or 3 bars where you can get sodas, mixed drinks, and beer. The Coco Grill has pizza and sandwiches prepared as you order.

The food was very acceptable. There are 4 a la carte restaurants (1 at the Divi and 3 at the Tam) that you can reserve for dinner where you'd be waited on. The food is hit and miss. I would give the Red Parrot the highest mark for its food and waiters. People we met at the resorts all had different opinions about the restaurants, so it all depends on individual's tastes. But if you are not satisfied with the food at the restaurants, you can always hit the buffet afterward. The buffets seem to have the same food daily for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The food is nothing to write home about, but there is enough variety that no one should go hungry.

The service is sufficient (remember you are not paying for a 4* or 5* rates here). Just like any place you go, you'll run into a wide spectrum of servers - some are more helpful than others. At the Red Parrot, we had one hostess who was a bit unpleasant to deal with. But after that 30 seconds, the waiters were much better.

The resort has basic concierge services such as tour desk, car rental,... bellman. There are always taxis in front waiting. There are also public bus stops in front of the resort.

The resort provide free floats, snorkel gear, kayak, bikes, climbing rock wall.

I enjoyed the bands that played from 7:00pm to 8:00pm nightly. The played mostly 60's, 70's, 80's songs which make it very easy to listen to. There were a variety of entertainment at 9:00pm nightly which I did not care much for. You can check the program schedule on one of their brochures at the front desk and go between the Divi and the Tam depending on what you want to see.

The shuttle drivers between the Divi and the Tam are overall friendly and would talk to you if you initiate the conversation. I read about complaints other reviewers wrote that the shuttle drivers were reckless, However, I did not see that to be the case when we were there. They do drive fast at times but never recklessly.

For those of you who could not decide between the Tamarijn or the Divi, hopefully this information will help you decide. I was indecisive about the two resorts as well, so I split my stay into 4 nights at the Tam followed by 3 nights at the Divi. All the rooms at the Tam are steps from the sandy beach. However, the rooms are quite a bit smaller than those at the Divi, especially if you have 2 queen beds. The room at the Tam is 11.5 ft wide vs. 13.5 ft. at the Divi. We got an ocean-view room in the Vista 1 building at the Divi. It is much more updated. Most notable is the bathroom: It has A/C and double-sink. Both the bathroom and the room are roomier and feel more upscaled though the rooms may not face the ocean directly. I liked the Pelican bar at the Divi better because it is under rows of palm trees which makes it a relaxing place to sit and enjoy a cold drink. The snack bar (Coco Grill) at he Divi is tucked further away from the beach which is not too inviting. The Tam on the other hand has a better snack bar (Pizza per Tutti) right at beachside. The Coconut bar at the Tam is also beachside, but for some reason, it just does not have that relaxing feel. There were fewer kids at the divi as compared to the Tam. People seem a bit more dressy too. The Tam's atmostphere is more "bustling". We made frequent visits between the 2 resorts using their free shuttle service. The buffet at the Divi has an air-conditioned indoor section with see-through glass walls which makes it ideal after a few days of sun. At the Tam, depend on where your room is, you can be pretty far from the restaurants and everything else.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
7  Thank chimmoi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Barcelo Aruba
Barcelo Aruba
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Divi Aruba All Inclusive? Share your experiences!