“Fair and Honest Review - Average resort with lots of work needed”

Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This is my second time at Aruba - and the first time trying the all inclusive. The good of Tamarijn:

1) Right on the beach. I mean, that can't be beat. You go out the back of your patio door and there is the beach. Amazing. Snorkeling is not so bad either!
2) Papparazzi restaurant and Parrot Bay restuarant. Both with wonderful food.
3) Breakfast buffet at Cunucu - Excellent with many many choices.
4) Drinks - not watered down at all and very delicious and strong (GOOD)

Now for the bad:
1) Rudeness by many employees working there. Grounds people were pruning the palm trees right over people lying on the beach in their huts. No assistance at all in the buffet on getting a drink. Waiters in the restaurants at Tamarijn with little to no personality. Go over to the restaurants included in the (Red Parrot). Paparazzi was ok too. And people on the golf carts would not slow down on the walkways they approached pedestrians. I nearly saw several people get hit.
2) SLOW service, EVERYWHERE. Get used to spending much of your vacation standing in line. Checking in, getting sat down at restaurants, concierge service, bar service, getting anything is just a slow slow slow process.
3) Huts. Not nearly enough for everyone. All of them are reserved by 8 00 with beach towels (even though they may not even start using them until the afternoon). Many of the huts were also in terrible shape.
4) Overall the place is in need of upgrading. The refrigerator doesnt keep things very cold and the room AC has a very difficult time keeping the room cold. The walkways are full of dangerous areas where one can break an ankle.
5) Dont plan on using the gym. Most of the equipment in there is out of order.
6) In order to secure your valuables you have to pay extra money to use the room lock box.
7) You can only reserve a table at a restaurant two days in advance. (Why I do not know)
8) Nightly entertainment was a joke at best.
9) You have to wear a cloth bracelet that stays wet most of the week. You have no option to take it off the whole time.

Review of restaurants:
Red Parrot: Delicious food. Great service highly recommended.
Pizza Per Tutti: Decent bar food just extremely slow service plan to wait 30 -45 min to get a sandwich or pizza.
Cunucu buffet: only eat there for breakfast. Dinner is AWFUL. Lunch so-so.
Palm Grill: I walked out of here still hungry. They give you hardly any food and the cook table doesnt cook evenly. They also sit you with others which is fine so long as you arent looking for a romantic night out.
Ginger: B-. Nice touch they had sake which was delicious.
Paparrazi - B+. Good food, good service
Bar over at the Divi (forgot its name) - Food tastes like horse crap. Good drinks though.

You also have endless ice cream in both areas.

In summary, I will not be staying here again. Your best best is to get a larger room and cook your own food for some meals (yes the groceries are cheap and are very safe to eat) and go out to eat dinner at Passions on the Beach, Gasparitos, and Texas De Brazil. Do not stay here if any of the above details are a deal breaker. Luckily Im a beach bum and love snorkeling so I could overlook all the negatives and still have a good time. I found a sand dollar, tons of beautiful shells, and a few gigantic starfish not to mention witnessing beautiful sea life right outside my room.

Room Tip: Its pretty packed from the pool all the way to 2100 block. 2100 - 2500 gives you a better chance at...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BT35_2012
Write a ReviewReviews (3,505)

Reviewed 8 April 2012

See my Previous review July 2011 for my first visit, done with just the wife. This time we brought our 9-year-old daughter which makes it a TOTALLY different experience. You go from romantic Honeymoon to fun family.
We requested a got a ground-floor room near the bar, and got a superb room with superb air-conditioning and superb beds. Walk out the door and you are Immediately in soft white grainy sand. A few more steps you are on the boardwalk, then a few more step on the very very uncrowded beach (maybe 5-10 people on entire beach), then into the ocean (maybe 1-2 people at any time in the ocean.
Interestingly, we found that ONE day a year, usually on Good Friday, they have ENORMOUS waves (think North part of Hawaii.) On 6 of our 7 days waves were 1-3 feet or lower, but on Good Friday they were 12-feet full pipeline-from-surf movie and VERY powerful...grown men getting knocked into somersaults. It was easy to go beyond the break point and not have to contend with the waves, but you really had to be careful. On that one day very very few ventured into the water. My first try my wife and I got somersaulted back to the beach. I got up the courage again after watching the more experienced with such waves and realized you needed to dive INTO a wave about to break, or simply go under it, but not to try to stand and take it full force. Then it became fun, a Lt. Dan experience from Forrest Gump, challenging Mother Nature to take you on. REMEMBER, this is ONLY one day a year, the other 364 days it's gentle as a lamb. This is the ONE day NOT to wear your room safe key around your neck or sunglasses in the water as anything attached to you will be ripped off by the undertow (suits included if not careful.) Trust me, 2.5 hours having your room lock drilled out on an Aruban official holiday is not fun.
The Pizza de Tutti make-to-order bar/snack hut was perfection. PERFECT chicken nuggets (finally figured out their secret, they are actually full chicken breasts, fried, instead of American processed chopped chicken.) PERFECT thin crust Pizza (also have full crust.) PERFECT Club sandwich. You either like or don't like the Mexican fries which are basically large fries completely covered with guacamole.
First time I was disappointed in the drinks, but made the mistake of NOT READING THE TRAVEL-ADVISOR REVIEWS FIRST. All you have to do, is ask "heavy extra rum" to get a drink more in style with normal tropical drinks...otherwise you basically get a slushi.
Interestingly at the reserved restaurants, drinks are Much stronger than at the walk-up bars.
I did not find the need to bring the advised large insulated mugs.
Because of so many positive reviews, we finally tried the Parrot restaurant, which I found was the best of the weak bunch. I personally didn't find it worth the effort to go from the Tam to the Divi because of the great difficulty and wait for the free travel tram....more people waiting then room in the train-Tram. If I stayed at the Divi, then, yes, Parrot would be nice. I do not recommend ANY of the Tam restaurants...slow, and same food as the buffet. They have a cook-it-yourself on the central hot grill restaurant (reservations) in the buffet restaurant...but....90 degrees in the restaurant, then you want to ADD a hot grill and sit by it? Not my thing, not my ability, but some have liked it.
I LOVED the Buffet restaurant at the Tam, LOVED it. I would ONLY get the daily cooked-to-order specials. The Lobster Pasta was spectacular as was the Bar-B-Que and the ribs, and the morning omelets. The only thing I chose that was not made-to-order was the morning bacon (spectacular) and the fresh cut tropical fruit.
The best/worst part of the Tam are the marvelous/sparce little individual Tiki-huts where you put your lounge chairs under for shade and a place for your gear. There about one such hut per 5 rooms, and without a hut, you won't be comfortable in a first floor room, because if you try to stay on your small porch, there is no breeze. The bottom line, you have to set your alarm to 5:45AM and go put a towel around your preferred hut. They are gone by 6:30AM. Surprisingly nobody steals the towels and everyone respects the reserved huts, unlike on cruise ships, but on the other hand, it is disheartening to see 1/20 huts actually USED at any given time, just seas of green towels on empty chairs and huts. A change from last time, now they CHAIN the lounge chairs until 7AM, so you can't take the lounge chair out to reserve the hut, so I recommend you take your patio chair and put a towel around it until a lounge chair comes available. IF you are on the ground floor, people have learned to drag lounge chairs onto their little patios and put personal gear. They don't take those lounge chairs away.
We had a very unusual occurrence this particular time. The room next door STOLE our patio furniture! They had friends from another room and instead of bringing their own furniture, they stole ours! I walked out and looked at them and they acted like tough. I chose not to verbally confront them, but was astounded anyone could be so incredibly rude. I doubt this has happened before, and have not seen it written in a review before, so think it was a one-time rude-crude family. Giggle, after that we brought in our little chairs at night and actually watched them standing on our patio trying to figure out where our chairs went!
Our last visit I guess 90% of the guests were Dutch, and everyone was very very polite. This time maybe 50% were American (Spring break), and there were some lapses in politeness, especially with loud talking and noise after-hours.
I agree with many reviews on this place that those VERY few people who give it bad reviews must not be able to be satisfied anywhere as this place is paradise. Yes, sometimes it takes a bit of time to get a drink at the bar during the busy time, but Watch these poor bartenders, they are literally working their bums off, and walking 20 miles/shift.
Being Dutch, there is very little tipping going on, and sometimes the staff almost seems surprised to get a tip. I did NOT see that tipping increased or decreased service, so I tipped more on the basis of special service, rather than automatically. Eddie the Bartender absolutely got tipped (but all tips go into a common jar, and who knows what per-cent they actually get themselves?)
9-year-olds tend to prefer to tame pool by the bar rather than the ocean. Sigh, it seems such a waste to be at a beautiful beach and go in the pool instead. Our daughter tried the kid's club and loved it, somewhat to my surprise. It sort of looked grim to me, but not to the kid's.
She DID love the vast selection of foods in the buffet restaurant, the ability to get cokes from a dispenser, soft ice-cream herself (make sure they get the days that they have the red and white combination ice-cream, whatever flavor it was.) Her own reviews of the place are absolutely glowing.
It's vital to use a HIGH-number SPF sun-block. You WILL get burned if you don't. Our first trip we used it religiously and barely got any sun, so got careless this time, didn't use it the first day and became to aloe lotion for the rest of the week, tending to our burns.
One very fun thing in the early morning is to watch the cruise ships arrive. They come closer and closer then seemingly turn RIGHT to the central bar. Turns out there is a little lane next to the resort they have to slip into, so they really are at 90 degrees to the island. It's fun if you bring binoculars to see all of them excitedly watching the waves and the island. Binoculars are also fun to watch the absolutely constant line of ships on the horizon. Aruba is only 17 miles off the coast of Venezuela (directly above it, not as part of the arc of islands in the Caribbean), so ALL of South America goes by.
One un-fun thing, the Divi does NOT accept room charges from the Tam. Why not? Who would know. It was frustrating to see the very different shops at the Divi and not be allowed to buy anything as you couldn't charge it. I think the Divi/Tam are losing money with this concept....we spent a LOT at the Tam shops....and I mean a lot....Divi lost out.
My favorite time of day at the Tam was 7AM.....go over and get a fresh-made omelet to order, fresh tropical fruit slices, coffee, bring it back to your Tiki-lounge, sit on your lounge chair, feel the slightly chilly tropical morning breeze, listen to the surf, and sit ABSOLUTELY alone on the beach. It's not unusual to be the only one on the beach until 9AM. 7AM is also the best time to actually SEE the few fish in the water at the Tam. Get a bagel, walk out about ten feet and throw little pieces, look carefully, and you'll attract swarms of minnow-size silver fish. Look closely 20 more feet out and you'll (rarely) see 6-foot long Gar and other larger fish helping themselves to the minnows you've attracted. Walk very very slowly, so your leg movements don't scare away the bigger fish.
I must say I experienced a second favorite time of day for the first time here this trip. Since we like to be on the beach at 7AM, we were usually asleep by 7:30PM. On my last night around 9 I thought a coke would be nice so walked to the bar and saw an awesome site from a 40's movie.....Tiki lights lit everywhere, soft low-lights elsewhere, lighted calm pool, happy tanned people around the bar, the glow of the open wood oven, the palm trees gently swaying and a James Taylor-sounding guy playing soft melodies on his guitar. Wow.
This was the first time we got the blue pool floats from the towel hut. I didn't see a purpose to it, but it can be a LOT of fun, sitting with your kid or wife, straddling the float and riding broncho-style over the waves. I'd never seen this done before, but as soon as we did it, LOTS of people started doing it, so maybe we started something!
Again the ONLY negative is the horrid trek through DOUBLE customs on the trip back at the airport (first through Aruba with full TSA, then get your checked-in bags....haul them in a HOARD of sweating people to another check-in, then ANOTHER TSA screen, then US customs. Our first time it took 4 hours. This time it took 1.5 hours. Hot hours. Airless hours.
Our taxi driver advised us NEVER to arrive at the airport on a week-end afternoon...always go in the morning hours as all the planes depart around 2 so EVERYONE arrives around noon with HUGE lines---eight people wide (which means lots of opportunity for unfriendly families to sneak their way snakelike ahead of people.) IF you have the SLIGHTEST need for a wheelchair, get one before you EVEN go to the counter. The Aruba airport has to be the MOST disability-friendly place I've ever seen, once you've announced you need a wheelchair. I normally dress nicely for airports....for the Aruba airport, I strongly advise you wear shorts, short sleeves, whatever you have to keep cool.
It's a bit disheartening after BEAUTIFUL tropical paradise Aruba to get to the US side of customs and find yourself in a very grungy, dirty, crowded, American-ish airport...but even then you can have fun. There is a WONDERFUL TINY little bar by gate 6...with FUNNY bartenders, great drinks, great hot dogs. There is a great Aloe body lotion station, and (to my incredible surprise), a duty-free liquor store. Apparently the rule about fluids onto planes only pertains to getting through TSA and customs. You can literally buy a full bottle of alcohol and take it only the plane. Wow. I'm sure the rule about DRINKING it on the plane pertains, but ....
There also have a perfume shop, Cinnabon shop, Pizza shop (very popular), candy shop.
I find it a good idea to include as part of your scheduled trip the concept that you have to clear two TSA's and customs and then have 2-3 hours waiting on the plane, so make it part of your trip...bring a book, visit the bar, shop, enjoy. AVOID the noon and later airport rush!

Room Tip: Choose lower level if you want immediate access to beach and don't mind a parade by your window...
10  Thank LTownsendMD
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My Husband and I went to the Tam in June 2011 for our Honeymoon and had an amazing experience as we have never been to the Carribean before. The staff were pleasant enough and the food and drinks were really nice.We got told that the resort was for couples only but when we arrived we found kids and huge families everywhere to which we thought hmm.. ok... We were not happy about all the birds flying in where all the food buffet was and on our plates and pooing on the table next to us, that put us right off our food and the entertainment was not all that. The room was basic but we really could not complain as it was our Honeymoon they situated us on the ground floor with our room basically on the beach. all in all the views were out of this world. We would deffinatley go back

Room Tip: When booking ask for a ground floor facing the beach room to avoid disapointment
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Niki T
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We just returned from the most relaxing vacation we ever had. Nothing beats falling asleep and waking up to the sounds and sights of a beautiful Caribbean beach. We had a second floor unit in the 12 block – the views were amazing. It felt like we overlooked our own private beach. The pool – 20 feet from the water. Restaurant – ditto. Our 6 year old son had so much fun in the pool and ocean. The kid’s club offered the occasional short trip to nearby attractions. Iguanas, crabs, fishing pelicans and other wildlife made for exiting discoveries. As for us parents – the food was fine and the choice of 4 restaurants offered a nice variety. It was great enjoying the morning or evening sun during a walk on the beach to the Divi, for a change of scenery. And if we felt lazy we used the shuttle between the properties and Casino! Poolside animation was limited to the early afternoons – again making the vibe more relaxing than animating. The evening entertainment was catered to families with live music, a Cirque de Soleil’esque performance, colorful dancing show and a fun limbo dancing etc.! As far as local attractions goes – we did not plan to spend much time outside the report but went one afternoon to the high rise hotel section (Palm Beach) & shopping area. The beach was packed, powerboats & jet skis everywhere. Not for us. We did however go on a half day snorkeling tour on the Palm Pleasure Catamaran which was really nice and well worth the expense. Also - skip Oranjestaad downtown. Back at the Tamarijn’s it never felt crowded despite being sold out on several nights. A word on the beach – the sand is super fine, some rock formations make for a beautiful sights (including crab hunting). On the windiest days there might be a little bit of waves – but they break right at the beach so 10feet into the shallow water it is perfectly fine. My son enjoyed the little bit of swell and the floaters provided by the hotel were fun to use in the ocean as well. Now – there are a few not so cheerful reviews about the resorts. Yes – it was certainly not all perfect, but at the end of the day this is a 3-star property that charges accordingly. So if luxury and pampering service is on top of your list – this is not it. You are not at the Four Seasons (neither did you pay for it). If you need animated, over-the-top friendly staff – this is not it either. You are in a foreign country with warm and authentic local staff. Not at Disney World. As for us - long story short- we’ll be back!

5  Thank axxfischer
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We just got back from Aruba and are missing it already. This was our fourth trip to the Tam and we are already planning our fifth. THE BEACH WAS BEAUTIFUL AS ALWAYS. We have usually got a room on the first floor but we didnt this time and we really preferred the second floor, you dont get the traffic and also the views are great, the exercise up and down the stairs was good after all the food and drinks you have.The only complaint I have is the same as everyone else, the hogging of the palapas. We would witness people putting their towels on the chairs as soon as they unchained them and they would keep their towels on the chairs ALL DAY whether they were using them or not. We actually went to the management and complained and he sent security over. Security says there is soposed to be a 2 hour limit on reserving chairs, but they dont enforce this . This to us was just rude of people to think they have the right to beach chairs all day, even if they werent there. Other than that, everything else was GREAT cant wait to next year!!! Also , go out and explore the island, there are so many great things to see.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband and I have been here 4 times. We tried a different island but we were so dissapointed and we are ready to go back. The rooms are nice. Not real fancy. Just sooo relaxing and friendly, The food is very good and always available. My husband is very into beer from different countries. We just ride bikes down to the supermarket so he can buy a few bottles to bring it back to the room.The local beer is also good. Hopefully we can return again this year.

Room Tip: Bottom floor is the best.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 111valPA
Reviewed 5 April 2012

It was a girl's 50th (& one 60th) birthday celebration. The staff was wonderful! The restaurants were all very good, with reservations accepted up to 2 nights in advance. The beach and water were absolutely beautiful. The building our rooms were in was right on the beach (as most are) and all waterfront rooms). However, the rooms we had, although clean, were very dated and in desperate need of updating. We did notice many of the buildings had been renovated and was clear another building was currently under renovations. We booked our vacation through a travel agency (which is a friend), and they had mentioned they would request rooms together, 2nd floor, etc., but when we arrived, the trainee front desk clerk told us there was no such requests and there were no rooms not only together, not on the 2nd floor, but not even in the same building. So.... upon arrival was not a great 1st impression; but once we straightened it all out with a supervisor, we did get rooms in the same building, not next door to each other (but that was ok), and although promised they were in recently renovated rooms, they were not. Second impression, thank goodness, was much better! We settled in, and put our flip flops on! Watch out for the beach shack.... they are very "protective" of their towels; only 1 per person per day, and you must leave your "towel key" (they aren't even nice towels). One other drawback; you have to be sure to be up and out at 7:00 a.m. to "claim" your lounge chairs and spot under the shaded grass umbrella's/tables. The lounge chairs are locked up until that time. Note: there always were enough lounge chairs and shaded grass umbrellas to accommodate everyone it seemed, but you know how territorial some can get! Overall experience was very good. Most people we talked with had been there year after year, but I think my friends and I would like to experience another resort in the future. All inclusive is the way to go!

Room Tip: Definitely request a recently renovated room!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank DJ1210
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
#3 of 6 in Oranjestad
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
3 mi away
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive? Share your experiences!