“The beach, water, and views make this resort!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive

Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Massachusetts
“The beach, water, and views make this resort!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

March 2013

This was our third stay here at the Tam, so we were well aware it is an older resort with nothing fancy about their rooms or amenities. However, after reading that most, if not all of their rooms, have been recently renovated, I was a little disappointed with what was done.

First, I have to agree with most other reviews that this is one of the best located all inclusive resorts with all of their rooms oceanfront, a beautiful beach and beautiful views from the moment you step outdoors until the fantastic sunsets appear. Rooms are small but adequate since you are most likely to be spending all your time outdoors. We spent every day on the beach in front of our room in building 11. We had no problem securing the palapa just in front because although my husband is an early riser and would be outside before sunrise, no one at this end was trying to save chairs or palapas overnight as I’ve noted in past visits. We were right beside the activity center and the non inclusive bar above, but the afternoon music and some heavy foot traffic at times did not bother us. I really wish that bar were part of the all inclusive because it seems they were having fun up there with the afternoon music.

Now for the not so nice things we encountered this visit. We are not picky people, not at all fussy eaters, and do not expect to be catered to in a resort such as this. But, I do have to point out that since our last visit, even with their renovations, things seem to have deteriorated as far as service and comfort. I was wondering if all the managers were on vacation, or maybe just eliminated and therefore service deteriorated.

First, the “remodeled” room still had the same furniture from 4 years ago. Two of the dresser drawers were broken so every time you opened them you had to be careful they didn’t fall out on your feet. We reported this and were assured it would be taken care, but it never was repaired. The curtains looked a little soiled and one end kept coming off the track no matter how careful we were in opening them. This was repaired after about the third day of the housekeeper fighting with it. The fan above our bed was either very dirty, or very worn, in which case, it should have been repainted or replaced. The bathroom light fixtures were coming loose from the ceiling and after a short rain one morning, my husband noticed a leak. He alerted the front desk, they sent someone down, he agreed it was a leak, took one of the fixtures out , cleaned it up and replaced it. No attempts at finding or fixing the leak. It had to be an ongoing problem because the ceiling around the fixtures was crumbling. Another leak appeared later in our stay, over the bathroom doorway, next to the air conditioner. I was also amazed that after the complete remodel of the bathroom, they replaced the old, outdated safe, and right back in the most awkward spot underneath the sink. As others have already stated, there was something very wrong with the installation of the half glass enclosed showers. Unless you positioned the shower head into the opposite wall, your bathroom floor would get flooded. That made for an awkward shower experience, doing half your body at a time.

It is a shame that they seem to just be putting “band aid” fixes on things in this resort. As you walk around the resort you can see a lot of neglect in keeping up appearances. A lot of the entrance doors really need replacing, and some of the housekeeping room doors had large sections of rotting near the bottoms. You can’t help noticing these things as your walk to and from your room.

The biggest surprise for us was the attitude and/or lack of caring of most of the staff. We always tip even at the all inclusive resorts we stay at, but I have to admit, this is one resort that I didn’t feel some of the workers deserved a tip. You are supposed to tip for good service, not tip to get good service. It didn’t seem to make a difference here. When we stayed here before, there was always someone greeting you as soon as you walked in to the buffet and they’d be there very quickly to take your drink order. It’s not that they were busy either. Most spent more time talking to each other than taking care of the guests. The same prevailed at the a la carte restaurants, but I do have to say they were a little more professional. They were polite enough but just not very into their jobs. Bartenders were hit or miss. Some very pleasant and talkative, others barely acknowledged you and again would talk amongst themselves or on the cell phones instead of waiting on the guests.

The housekeepers we encountered were very friendly and did a very good job in the rooms. There was one housekeeper I should have reported though. She would clean the ash trays off the second floor balcony and throw the butts into the sand below. I did not see her do this, but my husband did because she nearly hit him with the mess one day before she noticed he was lounging below. She just giggled and moved on. I wondered why there were so many cigarette butts right around our area when most people who were smoking disposed of their cigarettes properly.

I’m sorry if this review sounds so negative, but for what they charge here, I shouldn‘t have had anything negative to say. If it weren’t for their oceanfront setting, I don’t think they’d get many repeat guests. I guess I just thought the room renovations would make it a real first class resort on the beach. Perhaps if the staff were more friendly and accommodating, it would have made a big difference too. We probably will return again though, if I hit another sale just right. I’m already missing the sand and sea outside my patio door.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mo32

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (973)
Milton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

Just returned, stayed Feb 26-Mar 5, great weather....rained for 2 minutes early one morning, Very windy most of the week, but you need the wind to keep you cool. Stayed in the 2200 block, nice enough distance from the action...short walk to get food...We enjoy walking after a meal so there is a lot of areas to walk...Walked over to the Divi a few times to enjoy dinner at the Red Parrot..excellent staff. All restaurants at the Tam were great too.
What a view, the beach is fantastic, never had a problem getting a beach hut, beach bar was busy but never took too long to get a drink, enjoyed the Mudslides ( a great 11 am drink).
Enjoyed a half day tour...The Jeep Adventure to the Natural Pool...Our guides James and George were FANTASTIC...funny, informative and helpful. Snorkeling in the natural pool was the highlight of the trip...they give you snorkels and life jackets, very safe.
OVERALL-great holiday.....

Room Tip: Suites in the 1900 and up are quieter, beach is less busy if you want that...we were in 2204, great...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank W W
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

We stayed from February 26 - March 5th. The room we had was ground level 2107. This was the best! Open slider and walk out to the beach! It was so convenient. The beach was amazing and the water was beautiful! Never had trouble finding a palapa to shade us and everyone was so nice, staff and guests!

Breakfast and lunch was fine. Dinner at the buffet was not so hot. Much better at the Divi. The restaurants were very good and we also went across the street one night to "Windows on Aruba ". It was fantastic! This is not part of your all inclusive but you do get a good discount.

We did the jeep tour which was a great day touring the island with lunch at a local restaurant and snorkeling at "Baby Beach". Lots of beautiful fish to see there!

I would recommend the Tam to those who want a clean room and bed to sleep, a room on the beach, decent food, and good drinks, a more laid back atmosphere and a vacation to relax to stay here. You can't beat the location!!! ONE HAPPY ISLAND!! We will be back!

Room Tip: If you stay in the 2100 area and higher, the beach has more of a breeze and it seems more private...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Susan B
Manchester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

This resort is a smaller more quaint resort. The best part of the resort is the location of the rooms to the beach. All the rooms are mere steps to the beach. The rooms also all are on the sunset side of the island.

My husband and I, and my in-laws (mother, father and brother) stayed for 7 nights. We really enjoyed ourselves. All the breakfast and lunch buffets are standard. And you need to make dinner reservations on a daily (or sometimes up to two days in advance) for one of the four all inclusive restaurants for dinner. We really enjoyed all of the restaurants- food was well prepared and the service was great.

We did book excursions through De Palm tours and loved both excursions! We did the Jeep Safari, which is not for the weak of heart, and a Catamaran sail and snorkel with a snuba option at one sight. We would recommend all tours!

Aruba is very windy so come prepared with hairties ladies! The drinks at the resort were fun and plentiful. The drinks in the restaurants were prepared with more care and were noticeably stronger.

Our room was kept very clean. The rooms are on the smallish side up adequate and given the proximity and the beauty of the beach, we spent very little time in our room.

If you someone that really enjoys evening entertainment there is only one show/performance per night.... so perhaps exploring downtown might offer more evening entertainment.

Overall, we would definitely go back. We love the quaint resort with an excellent location! We loved it!

Room Tip: We were in room 1320, it was right next to the pool and bar. It was excellent and awful to be so clo...
8 Thank rchriste170
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

When you read a brochure review that says your hotel will be in the beach, you often find your a little walk away however with the Tamarijn Aruba you are literally on the white sandy beach with crystal clear blue waters. In addition to our room being on the beach we were right at the side of the Bunker bar which was a lovely added bonus. The Hotel staff were extremely welcoming and did everything possible to ensure our stay was perfect, on arrival we were greeted by a steel drum band with cooling towels and a nice cold refreshing drink.

The hotel resturants were fantastic, the bar staff happy for you to help yourself, the food was beautiful, the weather was scorching. In all it was perfection.

On a side note make sure you visit Oranjastad and pop in to iguana Joe,s for a Jerk Chicken wrap, you wont be dissapointed.

6 Thank Dan O
Pine Hill NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

For the short short version, mold, bugs, septic issues, no trash pick up and that is just in rooms. Bar had smell of garbage, poor customer service, on site managers were non responsive. Accommodations all under repair or suffering from lack of repair. Beach covered in thick seaweed and trash (including a tire) found in water right off their beach. Ocean in front of property is through-way for cruise ships. They say a picture is worth a thousand words so check them out.

For the long version, my wife and I arrived at the resort on Saturday Dec 8 2012. We were taken to our room (2206) by the bell hop in a golf cart due to distance and then had to carry our bags top the second floor to our room. The room had a slight musty smell. The bellhop opened the rear sliding door and 2' x 3' bathroom window which neither had screens. He then approached my wife then me looking for a tip after we carried our bags. The bell hop left when we found the middle drawer of the bureau to be broken. We immediately called the operator at the facility and were told that it was documented and it would not be fixed until Monday and the smell was because the room was recently renovated. We unpacked our belongings, secured the room, and walked back to the first bar toward the front desk area. The boardwalk that runs along the beach side of the property was wide enough for only one person and we constantly had to walk through grass areas when other people were walking by. The other side of the walk way was a 2' drop off to the beach. We observed swarms of sand fleas on the beach in different areas. We arrived at the first bar (Bunker bar) and waited 10 minutes to be served while the staff member was watching a football (soccer) game. We received our drinks and made our way to the desk area, again walking the boardwalk. We arrived at the second bar, (Pizza Per Tutti) which smelled like garbage. We waited 20 minutes swatting flies to be served while the staff were talking and texting among themselves. Ate there since arriving late in the afternoon and not in time for lunch. We left and arrived back at the room the the same smell. We opened the door and window and walked back to the front desk and report the smell which they said was from the remodeling. We were then approached about taking a tour to purchase a time share at the resort (this was constant). We declined, and then waited 40 minutes for a shuttle that is supposed to run every 20 mins between the Tamarijin and Divi (same resort). After waiting we finally walked and saw no shuttle. The Tamarijin and Divi complex is 1K long, (I measured in a car., later in the week). We found the conditions at the DIvI 100% better, although we did not see a room. We returned to our room by walking. The next day we had the same problems and when we spoke to someone at the front desk we were told that it was Sunday and the staff was limited. We were again informed the smell was from remodeling and shuttles ran every 20 minutes. The service at the bars were worse when my wife attempted to get the attention of the bartender and he put his finger up to her telling her to wait while he was talking with another bartender, then took a cell phone call and then texted someone. On Monday we awoke and my wife was now sick. The smell of must was still in the room and now finding little bugs in the bathroom. I went on the deck and found the dead bugs on the patio table and chairs. We went to get a shuttle and waited for another 40 minutes before walking to the Divi and booked a beach message for my wife. We returned to Tamarijin front desk and asked to speak with a manager. After three requests we finally spoke with a female manager who kept rolling her eyes and not listen to us as we explained the problems. We then spoke with a second manager who took us back to his office and we explained the problems. He stated that he would speak to the staff. We went to lunch and watched this manager speak with the staff and point over toward us. We left the area and returned later the the bartenders were on a "fishing expedition" trying to figure out who had complained making us completely uncomfortable. We then booked excursions and a car to leave the property due to the felling were were getting from staff. As the week continued the problems only became worse as now septic tanks were backing up and spilling over and trucks were called into remove the waste. Another building was being remodeled next to ours and we had to constantly move out of the way for golf carts of staff that kept pushing us off the paths, and not even offer a ride since shuttle service was still poor. We began taking pictures of the problems when staff would pose for the pictures treating it like a joke. When we returned home we found the smell from the room had permeated throughout all of our clothes and luggage and my wife was diagnosed with a respiratory infection.

We have reported all problems to Tamarijin and Cheapcaribbean who we purchased trip through and were brushed off by both. At the time I am writing this, we have not received any responses in three months. Any response from them at this point is just worthless. I would also appreciate no response from them about this post, you had your chance and were fully advised I would be posting!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
18 Thank Farrell3t
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

Hotel on the Beach is what you pay for $$ and it was fabulous.
Everything else is sub par - and the 4 restaurants are decent.
They also had plenty of performances to keep you interested - I'm satisified.

MAY GO BACK FOR THAT VIEW OF THE BEACH

I wouldnt do the Tamarjin with more than 1 kid - the rooms are built for couples ( small but ok for 2 people)

My only real complaint was some of the LUNCH AND BREAKFAST was lacking - At least Please stop serving Hi - C drink mix. The OJ pinaeapple and cranberry were a drink mix - gross. We are in aruba Serve REAL FRUIT DRINKS - Orange juice or buy from concentrate - it's disgusting . some real fruit juice at least .

Beakfast and lunch was so so but it did the job . But I still enjoyed it for 1st timers.

Room Tip: if you want acess to some food and small shops choose divi near there end. If you want peace and...
3 Thank charlie1206
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
Divi Aruba All Inclusive
#2 of 6 in Oranjestad
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,604 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,798 reviews
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,756 reviews

Been to Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive? Share your experiences!