“Great Food but almost a disaster”

Barefoot Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 225 Restaurants in Oranjestad
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Aruba is all about the fabulous beaches during the day, and the many great restaurants at night. It is only logical that these two unique things of Aruba are combined into one! Luc & Gerco found the perfect spot to synergize great food, and a beautiful setting to create an experience almost unique on our island. When listening to the ocean caressing the shore, while wiggling your toes through the pearly white sand, why not let yourself be pampered by a gourmet dinner? Chef Gerco & Maitre d' Luc had a shared dream of opening up a restaurant here, but wanted something in line with what they enjoy on Aruba: the nearly perfect climate, the possibility to always be outside, the tropical feel... When opening their restaurant, they had these ideas in their heads, and it worked like a charm! Tables under a large palapa on a wooden deck with a view of the ocean, or outside under the Aruban nights sky, on the pristine beach... An original menu was created by Gerco and team, with some of the old school favorites as well as locally influenced dishes. With the help of the local wine suppliers, Luc made an extensive wine list, with wines from all over the world, and is always ready to pair a wine with your dinner. The experienced service team is friendly yet professional, ready to wow you from the moment you walk in, to make a fabulous evening into a great memory on Aruba!
Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food but almost a disaster”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

My wife and I visited in early Nov and had a 6pm reservation to enjoy the sunset. We were ushered to a table on the beach and took our shoes off to enjoy the sand. What a beautiful spot and the staff was very accommodating in taking pictures and were very attentive. Long story short, when our entrees came, my wife could not identify what was on top of her fish. Being very very allergic to shellfish, she asked me to try it as she was concerned it might be shrimp. What I tasted was unbelievably good but I thought it was shrimp on top of the fish. We called our server over (I think it was the Dutch intern that people have written about who was very nice) and she immediately knew she had ordered or brought the wrong the dish--grouper special with shrimp instead of another grouper dish my wife ordered-and took it away. My wife was a bit shaken as she knew had she eaten it, disaster was coming. The manager (maybe owner) came over to apologize and asked me if they should keep my food warm. Well, I didn't want to sit there and eat along so I had them take it back. While it was probably only 15 minutes or so before the correct entrees came, it was very disruptive to the flow of the night and my wife was really a bit upset. Having said all of this, what we ate was really really good . We ordered one dessert to share (crème brulee which was outstanding). I really expected the restaurant to do something to acknowledge their mistake--take her entrée off the bill, offer us another drink or pick up the dessert--but they did nothing. Perhaps my expectation was unrealistic but really, their mistake was not a good one. Having said this, we will go back next time we are in Aruba because the food, service (mistake notwithstanding) and ambience are top shelf.

1 Thank bob3558

connecticut
“Great food and view”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Staff here was great. Food very good. Sat on beach in sand and sunset was great. A little noisy from bar/nightclub next door at sunset, but then quieted down doubting our dinner, later at night might get loud next door. But I would recommend this restaurant.

1 Thank dkfCT
Baltimore, Maryland
“Sunset Dining”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Had a wonderful dinner at Barefoot. Tables on the beach, perfect to watch the sunset. Started off with the Vanilla Skewered scallops(wow!) Both had fish dishes, Red snapper and the combination fish dish, both great. Ended with the Bananamisu( one of the best desserts I had on our trip).Friendly and attentive service. My only complaint, and this is not specific to this restaurant, is that smoking is allowed. We had a group of smokers seated next to us. The waitress found us a different table away from them without a fuss. That being said we would recommend Barefoot Restaurant without hesitation.

Visited November 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
“Great Service- Beautiful sunset”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I came here for our anniversary dinner. Really pretty setting with the sunset. The service was excellent- our waitress gave us some really great recommendations! Plus, she called us a cab, who was there when we were finished. We sat on the sand and took in the beautiful scenery. My only complaint was that bar next door did have their music up a little loud at times and then there is a parking lot on the other side where people go into the water and swim. It was very minimum that we noticed it. Otherwise delicious!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jenna C
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“A must eat!”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We were lucky enough to have Barefoot suggested one of out last nights on the island. This meal was exceptional: scallops, grouper, tuna, cheesecake. The atmosphere and view were pretty good as we watched the cruise ships leave and the sunset. Close to downtown, easy to find and a great staff. NO SERVICE CHARGE at Barefoot (a big plus) as they want you to tip based on your experience. A must eat!