“Awesome”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Oranjestad
Sterling, Virginia
“Awesome”
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

Great to feel just like home in this condo style resort... Washer and dryer in the room so pack light and you really don't need much on this island, beach wear and night life change... Great breakfast buffet, nice pools and best of all prime beach access... Golf course looks great, but not a golfer, so can't say with experience.... Infinity pool with bar is a good way to spend the afternoon, but be careful, the bartenders know how to treat you, heavy handed to say the least...

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kevin H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Finnish first
Johnston, Iowa
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This was our second trip to Aruba and second stay at Divi Dutch Village. When we arrived in our 2 bedroom unit we discovered that the refrigerator wasn't working (only after buying and putting groceries in it). The frig was fixed pretty quickly by a maintenance worker. The rest of the unit fit our needs, but was showing signs of age and needed upgrading. If you want to use the stove be sure to bring your own matches or lighter. They are gas but don't seem to have any kind of pilot light. Toilet handle in one bathroom threatened to fall off all week. We were unable to get Internet service any time during our stay so had to lug laptops to a different part of the resort to get (and pay for service). Even then the service was not consistant. The most frustrating part of our trip was when we agreed to sit in on a time share presentation. I know, I should have known better than to expect the promised 7 night free stay at Divi Dutch just for listening to a 60 minute presentation. The 60 minutes turned into over 90 minutes. The free stay any time in the next 5 years (that's what was promised over the phone) turned into a promotion that required a $100 dollar activation fee, plus $199 per person charge, which had to be activated within 60 days and used within a year. This wasn't even being coordinated by Divi Dutch but through a promotional company. I'm not even sure if we could have chosen to stay at Divi Dutch. It appeared you had to pay the money up front to find out what your options were. Free turned into $498 plus who knows what other charges once that money was paid. All of the people involved in the time share presentation seemed astounded when we complained, claiming the program had just changed and they weren't aware of the charges. If you stay at any of the Divi properties I suggest declining this type of offer from Glen Rogers, Vincent Williams, or Craig Bossio. They apparently feel it's more important to make a sale than to know anything about the promotions they are offereing.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank BA4ISU
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Great place to stay, nice timeshare that was very spacious. Had a good sized living room area, dining room table and kitchen with dish washer and washer and dryer for clothing. We had two bathrooms and a decent sized bedroom as well. Great location that was a quick walk across the street to the beach! A few restaurants on site, not all inclusive. Felt like a safe area, it was myself and another female and we were fine taking a cab to the grocery store...got food to cook in our room. Stove top only, no oven! A couple of beautiful pools on site too, with a swim up bar as well. It can get very windy on the beach, one day we had to stay at the pool..too windy, sand in our eyes, beach chairs whipping back and banging into you legs..but that only happened one day.

Room Tip: They all seemed in a good spot, and there was always a shuttle going around to take you from point A...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rissadeco
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Have been to Aruba many times and love it. This is the worst place I have ever stayed on the island. Stayed in two rooms (first time I have ever had to ask to move on any trip noisy neighbors) both were in very poor repair. The second room had mold on the ceiling and was missing a closet door. Was waiting for a gift card from the Aruba tourism authority. When it did not arrive the front desk gave me the impression that they could care less and never returned calls. After the third day I had to ask if it arrived I asked to talk to a member of management but no one was available said they would call and no one ever called. The positives were great location and the maids and grounds workers were very friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eatingallover
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We enjoyed our 9 nights at Divi Golf & Beach. The room was spacious, with a nice kitchen, washer and dryer, and balcony overlooking a lake on the golf course. We prefer a hotel on the beach, but crossing the road didn't detract from experience. The main pool was close to our room and on some days, that's as far as we got.

The resort is big, and if you include the area from the Alhambra Casino to the Dutch Village, it's really big. There's a shuttle that can get you close to just about any point on the resort, but unless you catch it right away, it's faster to walk.

We ate at Mulligan's twice, and once at the Red Parrot at the Tamarijn. Both were good.

Room service was great. Concierge was great. Front desk was OK.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JHD2
Howell, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This was my first and only time (so far) to Aruba. We stayed here with another couple who owned the time share. The room was standard setup (1 bedroom, 1 bath, full kitchen, living room, and big balcony/porch.) I would recommend second floor over first floor just for the added privacy while on the balcony. We ended up sleeping on the pullout sofa bed which was horrible. So uncomfortable due to the bad framing. After the first night we just put the mattress on the floor. I believe all rooms either overlook the pool or the beach so you can't really go wrong there. From what I've been told there is always a constant breeze in Aruba and I know the week we were there it was more then a breeze. It was difficult to be on the beach sometimes because of the blowing sand, so I was happy to have a pool view. The pool was nice, not heated but it didn't matter. The hot tub was just a simple stand alone hot tub like you would have in your backyard and it was set at a nice temperature. We didn't eat anywhere at the resort except for cooking ourselves in the kitchen, which was fully stocked with plates, silverware, etc. There is also propane grills near the pool if you want to grill anything. The resort is within walking distance to a grocery store and a liquor store. You need a cab or a rental car if you want to go to the high touristy area. You can also walk to the nearest casino in about 20 minutes along the beach on a nice walkway. There is a show area at the resort also where they put on acrobatic type shows which was a nice added treat if you just want to hang around the resort at night.

All in all we would stay here again, but I would probably search around for other places to tryout.

Room Tip: If you like privacy on your balcony don't stay on the first floor as the balconies are open to t...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathan R
Michigan
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Construction occurred early in the morning on other side of my bedroom headboard.  Jackaranda1 even mentions the construction but it was not near him.  He was lucky it was not behind his bedboard like me!

The room I stayed in at the Dutch Divi had mold in the bathroom and hallway, the stucco was falling off walls, the plate shelves were bowing so I feared it would break, cracks were in the walls, moldings & door and much much more.  I could go on but I won't. I wish I could post photos.  I will never return there.

I see the other reviews; perhaps, they were in another building or have lower expectations.

I too have been to Maui and go yearly.  I stay at Diamond Resort's Kaanapali Beach Club (KBC).  It is a class act!
Aruba' s wind blows sand constantly and it gets everywhere on your body; not so in Maui.  But I agree that the beaches in Aruba are better because they have sand just inside the ocean where Maui's beaches have rocks just inside the ocean.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank KathleenFras
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjestad
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Divi Aruba
Divi Aruba
#2 of 6 in Oranjestad
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
No photo provided
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!