“Decadent Asian Cuisine with Tasteful Island Influences”
Review of Hopi Bon Grill

Hopi Bon Grill
Ranked #35 of 239 Restaurants in Oranjestad
Price range: US$10 - US$29
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood, Grill
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I flew to Aruba for our honeymoon, and lodged at the Renaisance Hotel (marina location). Adjacent to the Renaissance Hotel is a plaza with many delightful restaurant choices, including Bon Hopi. After staying in Oranjestad for a few nights and eating out, you develop a taste for Arubian cuisine. As such, Bon Hopi really integrates Asian cuisine with Arubian highlights. An example would be their egg rolls filled with Gouda! Just fantastic. My wife ordered the shrimp, and I ordered the chicken and salmon. With each order you receive two sides; we both decided to get garlic rice and fried plantains. Everything was just wonderful. The salmon, chicken and shrimp were all masterfully cooked. My chicken was extremely tender, and the salmon just fell apart when proded with my fork. Honestly, our only complaint was the plantains. We both felt that they most likely used plantains that weren't quite ripe. Whilst dining, you get to enjoy the lovely atmosphere outside, which usually consists of partly cloudy, 81 degree weather, and a sunset that is just to die for! As an aside, the establishment is owned and operated by a Filipino man and his wife. The owner is a great conversationalist (he speaks 6-8 languages), and is extremely nice and funny. We would definitely recommend Bon Hopi to anyone in Oranjestad!

1  Thank Jordan S

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We've been visiting Aruba every year for fifteen years. We discovered this restaurant several years ago and dine there several times in our three week vacation! Great food, prices, and service...super nice owners!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was my 1st visit to Aruba & did not know what to expect or what their cuisine was like. I'd figured the food would be like all Caribbean food, spicy with lots of herbs & accompanied with plaintains/ rice & beans.

Boy was I WRONG. In steps in Hopi Bon. From the looks of the storefront restaurant, it gave no indication I was about to experience the culinary voyage I did. The menu was simple & to the point. There was chicken, beef & seafood (the holy trinity of dining). As for sides, you had rice, plaintains, roasted potatoes, corn, etc. All of these items were cooked on a Teppan grill. Still not too sure what kind of grill that is, but after eating at Hopi Bon, Teppan must "OMG....Hotdamm"...lol!!!!

That was honestly some of the BEST food I've ever tasted. As a 6'1" 260lbs dude, I've done my fair share of dining. The food was perfectly seasoned, with nice grill marks & the right hint of spice. Their calamari appetizer was the softest morsels of seafood I've ever eaten. It was that good. If you're ever in Orjestad, Aruba stop by the Renaissance market place mall & try Hopi Happi Chikki Bon Bon!!!!!

1  Thank nl1050
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Using tripadvisor as a guide, my wife and I stopped by Hopi Bon to try it for dinner. The owner was a very pleasant man who showed us to our seats and took our drink orders. The nearby menu board listed a chicken and beef tenderloin special - completed with two sides. We both decided to try it - and each ordered fried rice with it. My wife got plantains and potatoes, I tried corn and black beans.

The order was delivered within about 15 minutes, and we could see the owner's wife inside preparing all the food. The food seems to be prepared on a standard griddle (not a teppan grill)

As for the meal, it actually differed between my wife's plate and my own. My chicken was well seasoned with Caribbean spices and was cooked fairly well. My wife's chicken was awful - tough, dry and chewy. Her beef was a little tough and a bit overcooked, but she enjoyed it. Mine - awful - tough, chewy and inedible. Ugh.

Fried rice - take some rice, mix with bag of frozen vegetables, toss with Caribbean sauce. Not bad, nothing special.

The corn (a 1/3 cob on skewer) looked good with some nice grill marks - but was barely warm and overcooked. Black beans were quite good.

All in all we've had a lot better food in Oranjestad! Truly amazed ay how many really good reviews there were for this place.

1  Thank Richard S
LovefromAruba, Owner at Hopi Bon Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

We thank you for your review. However, just to point out some things that you might have missed as we take pride in our service and merchandise. First of all, we do not serve black beans, nowhere is it mentioned it our menus. Second, Wikipedia states "teppan" or "teppanyaki" as a style of Japanese cuisine that uses an IRON GRIDDLE, specifically, TEPPAN means iron plate and yaki means grilled, broiled or pan-fried. So in all definition, Hopi Bon Grll's grill is indeed a TEPPAN.
Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We so enjoyed this restaurant in 2012 that we sought it out this time. A husband and wife own and operate the business: he hosts and she cooks. Boy, does she cook! He is so funny and nice, and she is charming. You can actually watch her prepare your meal. Our food was excellent, seasoned perfectly. A definite recommendation! It's also a very close walk from the Rennaisance Hotel.