“Great location and good food”
Review of Carpe Diem - CLOSED

Carpe Diem
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We own a timeshare at the Renaissance and were excited to see a new restaurant go into this prime space right on the main road fronting the marina. So we were eager to give them our business for dinner one night on our recent trip. I love the decor, which is open & airy, yet elegant with white curtains and mismatched white chairs at different sized & shaped tables. The service was top notch--our server was quick to take our order, attentive in asking whether we wanted another round of drinks, and the meal was served in a reasonable amount of time & was cooked to order (I had a steak ordered medium rare and that was exactly how it was served). My boyfriend had a seafood/pasta dish that was scrumptious and my son had a chicken caesar salad which was good-sized and delicious.

The only hesitation I have in giving this place an excellent rating is the prices. They are higher than comparable restaurants in the area and I'm not sure the food, service, or ambiance warrant the higher price tag. In looking at our receipts after the trip, we spent over $50 more at Carpe Diem than we spent for dinner at other high-end restaurants. I think we might think twice before doing a full dinner there again on our next trip and instead maybe just do drinks & appetizers at the bar. But it is definitely worth a visit and I hope the restaurant does well because Oranjestad needs more places like Carpe Diem!

There are newer reviews for Carpe Diem

Reviewed 7 August 2014

During our week long vacation stay, wife and me were checking out the shops and such along the main drag by the port. We passed by Carpe Diem and met Kevin while looking over the daily specials menu board. Kevin's infectious enthusiasm about the restaurant drew us back for dinner. We had spring rolls, sushi and wine. All was very, very good. The sushi in particular was awesome. The open air restaurant atmosphere was perfect. We really enjoyed the meal and the service. This is definitely one of a hand full of restaurants on the island that is a 'must' to experience.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Located on the water on the main strip of Oranjestad and just off of the docks, we came to this restaurant after deep sea fishing on the Thaisa II where we caught Mahi-Mahi and tuna. The crew filetted our fish for free and recommended Carpe Diam as one of the places to go to, to have our fish cooked. They told us they would cook our fish free but we would have to pay for the sides that it came with. We left the crew with our fish to deliver to the restaurant while we went back to the hotel for a quick shower and change.
When we got back we were seated after telling the hostess about the reason we were coming to the restaurant. After we were seated it took a while for our server to come and take our order and a while for our drinks to come. The place looked like it was understaffed with what seemed like one server taking and serving the entire restaurant so the service was very slow. Nonetheless our waiter couldn't have been nicer with a smile on his face and friendly conversation. It took a while for our order to be placed with the staff having to find our catch. I felt a little bad for him because I didn't see anyone including the bartender/hostess attempting to help him. Once our meal came hours after we caught it, it was absolutely delicious and the salad and fries it came with were good as well.
The atmosphere of the restaurant was very modern and artsy. I have never eaten in a place quiet like that environment so it was interesting. Loved that it was right on the water.
Other than the slow service which was not our server's fault it was delightful.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

The restaurant itself is very nice and relaxing. The cherry martini was amazing! It was a little pricy for food that maybe have been frozen. Such as the crab cakes I ordered and my fiancé's potato au gratin that came as a side with his steak which wasn't cooked med rare like he asked

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We ended up here looking for an afternoon cocktail. Drinks were great, the restaurant itself was gorgeous and well-styled. However, the bartender spent more time making out with her boyfriend than she did serving her customers.