“Boolchand's, St. Maarten”
Review of Boolchand's

Boolchand's
Ranked #35 of 66 Shopping in Oranjestad
More attraction details
Owner description: Product Categories: Cameras, Electronics, Computers, Watches, Pandora
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We have purchased cameras at Boolchand's, St. Maarten, on our last two cruises this past year. We have been very happy with the service and knowing that this company was a certified Canon dealer. The prices were fantastic, mostly being at least $100 less than in our shops in Nova Scotia, Canada. My friend was with us on this past trip a few weeks ago, and she purchased a Canon Rebel, which was an update for her, along with the lens she was looking for, a few filters, and case for just about the cost of the lens here in Nova Scotia. She was very pleased. We found the staff here very easy to deal with. We shopped around in St. Maarten at the other camera stores listed on the shopping map given out by the cruise ship. One of these stores tried to tell us that Boolchand's was selling remanufactured goods. We questioned Boolchands and they showed us their authorized Canon dealer certificate. The store that told us this bogus information was actually recomended by the cruise line so we were very surprised. This Boolchand's is located right at the cruise ship docs as soon as you pass through the gates at the cruise ship dock. Highly recommend it. Haven't bought jewelery there so cannot post on that experience.

1  Thank beachbumsNovaScotia

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Beware of this sale scam. Having been sold a Seiko Kinetic watch for $240 it was only after four years when it stopped that I found out it was not a Kinetic but a much cheaper Quartz movement. I am not sure whether the salesperson swapped the watch at the last moment or whether he deliberately misled me into thinking this unmarked Seiko watch was a Kinetic movement. When I contacted this so called respectable outlet recently they did not want to know stating they were a reputable company. BUYER BEWARE

3  Thank lorneric
Boolchands, Manager at Boolchand's, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Dear Iorneric,

Thank you for purchasing your Seiko Watch with us, we really appreciate it. We are very sorry to hear of the situation at hand, and would like to solve it. It is not our intention to deliberately replace your purchased watch with another Seiko watch or sell you something else, this is an honest mistake on our side.

We would very much appreciate you send us an email to watches.sxm@boolchand.com with a copy of your receipt, and last communication you had with us regarding your Seiko Watch, and we will give you a call and solve this.

Our relationships with our customers are very important to us, and we would like to ensure all customers are happy with their purchase, we look forward to your response.

Regards,

Boolchand’s

Reviewed 15 July 2012

I purchased a Pandora charm for my bracelet in March 2012 which cost $160.00. When it came through on my credit card it was £104.49 but on the Pandora website it would only have cost me £99.00. When I confronted Boolchand's despite several emails I got nowhere. They blamed the exchange rate of currency through credit card. Don't know if this is correct or they were simply trying it on.

3  Thank Bentleybabe

Dear Madam,

Thank you for purchasing Pandora at our St.Maarten location, we really appreciate it. We sincerely apologize for not responding to your emails in a timely manner.

While using a UK based credit card in St.Maarten, we charge every transaction in US Dollars, hence, the conversion rate. It is the UK credit card companies policy to charge every consumer the exchange rate which they have officially, differentiating from the official exchange rate. Kindly visit www.xe.com for up to date information regarding exchange rates.

We suggest contacting your credit card company prior to your next international travel date in order to understand their policies regarding exchange rates.

We hope this has been helpful, if you would like further clarification, please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we would love to assist!

Regards,

Boolchand’s

Reviewed 9 March 2010

on a New years cruise ...saw they had the Canon image stabilized binocs model 10x30is on sale for 265 at the Boolchands in St Maarten on the cruise dock.. USA warranty.. so I got them..knew prices beforehand at B&H and Amazon--around 350 bucks.. just got back from another cruise--28 days thru the Canal and back.. those binocs are great.. the image stabilization is the best... will never 'go back'

never had a problem with buying anything at their stores in St Thomas or St Maarten... gotta know your prices ... purchased a couple of ESQ watches from their store in St Thomas.. again USA warranty that I had to use three weeks before it ended last year.. ESQ was great about it.. no charge...

sure they can be pushy until you tell them to 'slow it down'.. we do a lot of cruises so we're in the islands a lot..

3  Thank Stakeout
See more reviews
Reviewed 16 June 2006

I went into Boolchands to look at their watch and camera selections. Some nice things but generally nothing I could not get back home and none of the prices were making me want to buy. They were extremely pushy regarding watches, trying to find a way to get me to buy things I was looking at, telling me how good it would look on me, telling me how great the price was etc.

When I asked for a bracelet for my Citizen watch, they actually had it, unlike several other dealers. But after getting it they told me they could not put it on for me. I took the bracelet but after leaving I decided to go back because they clearly were a watch dealer, they sized and removed bracelets for watches they sold and they were a Citizen dealer.

I asked if they could find someone who could replace the bracelet for me and they said that their watchmaker could do it (suprise) but it would take several hours. I needed to leave the watch and return.

I told them I wanted to return the bracelet then. They then said if I would wait for 5 minutes they would have it done. After about 15 minutes they returned with the bracelet on. After getting back to my hotel I noticed that one of the pins was bent and not seated properly. I managed to fix this myself with a pair of nail clippers and a paper clip since I did not want to go back again.

I would likely not buy anything from this store again unless I needed to have something I could not get anywhere else.

8  Thank watchlover

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review and shopping with us. We sincerely apologize for not being able to size your watch initially, however, were glad we were able to assist and replace your bracelet upon your return. We do hope to see you again in St.Maarten, and would very much appreciate you stop by our store.

Best Regards,