“Simply all round excellence”

Ty Mawr Country Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Brechfa B&B and Inns
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Simply all round excellence”
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

What a lovely place, pleasant grounds, a nice location and a great stay.
The staff were warm and friendly as was the Hotel. Not only were we greeted by a friendly smile but also the smell of dinner cooking which did not disappoint.
The room was really nicely decorated and spotlessly clean and above all for me the quiet location ensured a good nights sleep.
Our evening meal was well cooked and presented with local produce and a good wine selection to accompany it. Again friendly staff gave attentive but not obtrusive service. Worth a visit just for the restaurant.

One to recommend and revisit.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Robness
AZT2, Owner at Ty Mawr Country Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us such a great review.
We are really pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and the food and hope to see you again sometime.
Annabel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic hotel!

Arrived here for sadly just one night whilst motorcycling around Wales. After making the booking, Annabelle contacted me by phone to give me the opportunity to reserve a table for dinner, I'm so glad I did, the food here is incredibly good, far better than I could ever have imagined, but I will come back to that...

The hotel itself is brimming full of charm and character and is impeccably presented, both inside and out. The rooms (I saw two), were spacious, light and airy and well appointed with an LCD TV, selection of tea and coffee facilities (much more than any other hotel I have stayed in). Add to this a complete selection of luxury toiletries, a full bathroom with ample hot water, fluffy towels and a robe, plus a sumptuously comfortable bed with crisp fresh linen, what's not to love? My room also had a window seat overlooking the beautifully manicured gardens.

Now, back to the food... The menu was excellent, a good amount of choice, but not too much. Every course was prepared using fresh, quality local produce with presentation to rival that of a Michelin star restaurant. The portion sizes were generous, but not over the top and the accompanying bread was beautiful.

For breakfast, I opted for the full English, again every element was locally sourced produce, you can tell that no budget cash and carry products arrive on your plate here.

The surroundings of the hotel are tranquil, you are a good few miles from the main roads, although still very accessible, so peace and quiet is in abundance.

I adored this hotel (you may have guessed that) and will undoubtedly return again, when I will stay for a little longer and will hopefully have better weather too.

You really must visit this hotel if you are looking to stay in South Wales, you will not regret it.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Justinm759
AZT2, Owner at Ty Mawr Country Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Thank you for such a wonderful review. It is really very kind of you and we are so glad that you enjoyed yourself. We work hard to keep the standards high and it is really great when people show such appreciation.
We just hope you didn't get too wet on your journey home!
Hope to see you again.
Thank you.
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Exclusive use of the hotel for murder mystery night, for a birthday celebration with 7 couples. All rooms were amazing, but room 4 was the best. Robes and lovely toiletries. Murder mystery took place over dinner, food was delicious everyone enjoyed. It was so much fun, then after the game we retired into the sitting room for drinks. Mixers were a bit pricey at £2 pounds for a small bottle, rose wine was £19 pounds a bottle and very sweet and lovely. Annabel worked very hard, and was a brilliant host. Breakfast was plentiful, with juice, fruit, cereal, yogurts and cooked breakfast to have. The only thing that I could grumble slightly about was the cost of £50 for 2 platters of sandwiches for us all, which I was paying for, a few crisps etc would have been nice for that cost. Would definitely recommend, idyllic peaceful location. Fab birthday night

Room Tip: Room no 4 was amazing.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
AZV, Owner at Ty Mawr Country Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
I am very pleased that you enjoyed the murder mystery evening - people always seem to have great fun at them, partly to do with the outfits everyone wears! They are quite hard work to organise and it is great to hear that it is appreciated.

Regarding the prices, we charge £2 for a 200ml bottle of coke and £1.50 for a 150ml bottle of tonic which, compared with a lot of hotels, I believe to be pretty reasonable.

I wish you had asked me at checkout about the cost of the sandwiches and I could have explained how I came about that price. Basically as there were 14 of you we did 2 rounds of sandwiches per person at £2.00 a sandwich. Which actually comes to £56 but I rounded it down to make it simpler. As we don't do lunches usually we don't have a sandwich menu - I should have probably told you what I was going to charge you when you asked me if you could arrive early and have some food laid on. I do apologise and hope that you thought the rest of your stay lived up to your expectations.
Melton Mowbray, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

A lovely one night stay. We were made welcome by Annabel with tea in the garden. Our room was very comfortable, a king sized comfortable double bed and a sitting area as well. Our two dogs were very happy with it.(We were too!). The room had its own exterior access so we could get the dogs in and out without disturbing any one.
The hotel is situated in a lovely quiet area with walks all around.
Evening meal was first class - Welsh cheeses were exceptional. Breakfast next day was faultless.
Thank-you Annabel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andy K
AZV, Owner at Ty Mawr Country Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
So glad you had a lovely stay and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday. I am glad you liked your room - that one is always very popular with dog owners. We hope to see you again if you find yourselves in this area.
Best Wishes,
Llanrwst
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel, sited in an extremely secluded and rural part of Wales, is pretty well perfect for the dog lover with a taste for good food. The owners are charming, the staff friendly, and nothing is too much trouble. The hotel has a lovely large lawned area where dogs can be walked, and has guidance for a series of walks in the area where you can take your canine friends.

We have gone there with two large dogs, with no problem at all - the room was very large and well-appointed. The menu features wonderful local and organic produce, and home-baked bread. It's one of my favourite places to stay - highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms 5 and 6 have direct access to the gardens...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
AZV, Owner at Ty Mawr Country Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for taking time to write such a lovely review.

Very pleased that you all (canine and human) enjoyed yourselves at Ty Mawr.

Steve works hard to produce a daily-changing menu using the lovely ingredients that we are lucky enough to have on our door step and it is great to know that it is appreciated.

Hope to see you again soon.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Ty Mawr County Hotel gives a good impression right from entering the driveway, everything is clean well appointed and well looked after. We stayed in room one, which was spacious and fitted out with all the creature comforts you would want. Breakfast was exceptional, hot, tasty and all local produce. Evening meals were not rushed, drinks first and then taken to your table where everything was laid ready. Once again all the courses were cooked well and most importantly hot.
The wine list was extensive and reasonably priced. Overall the experience was great, I would definitely recommend this to my friends.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
AZV, Owner at Ty Mawr Country Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Really pleased that you enjoyed yourselves, and Bertie too!

We do work hard maintaining the hotel which, being an old building, takes some doing. So it is great to know that it is appreciated.

Also really happy that you loved the food and ambiance.

Hope to see you again sometime.

Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Found this hotel through Welsh Rarebits and we were very pleased with it. It is a lovely, peaceful country house with plenty of character. Plenty of nice toiletries available if required. Breakfast and dinner were delicious with local ingredients used. Recommend for a nice country break and for those who appreciate the country life and want a relaxing break. Owner very friendly. I don't usually review hotels but feel I should sing it's praises and deservedly so. Have stayed in a few Welsh Rarebit hotels.

Room Tip: We had a superior room which was large and had a lovely view of the garden.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
AZT2, Owner at Ty Mawr Country Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Very pleased that you enjoyed yourselves so much and took the time to write such a lovely review. Thank you.
Annabel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brechfa
The Falcondale Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llangammarch Wells
Llansantffraed Court
Llansantffraed Court
#2 of 2 in Abergavenny

Been to Ty Mawr Country Hotel? Share your experiences!