“Tradewinds Club!!”

Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Tradewinds club MADE this vacation. I am not sure that the rooms are very different from the other floors, however, the concierge service is excellent.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner (although the restaurants on the island are too good to resist)
are delicious and make leaving the beach or pool very convenient to grab a bite, and be back outside in no time.....not to mention that it is an 18+ floor...sorry, kids!
Hermania at the private beach cabana is very good at making you feel at home.
Will return to the Tradewinds club.
Beware, though if you book through a 3rd party (Jetblue,orbitz, etc) you are not eligible for Marriott points. My only complaint!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Deneen123
ArubaMarriottResort, Hotel Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear Deneen

Thank you for your kind review of our Tradewinds Club, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed all the Tradewinds benefits, and yes I agree the food is delicious. You mentioned Herminia, who is an absolute superstar, I will pop by the beach this morning to pass along your review, I know she will love it. You also mentioned that the floor is 18+ only, that is correct, sometimes it is nice to treat yourself to some adult only luxury. You also mentioned that you did not receive points as your booked was via a 3rd party, sorry about that, we do have a best price guarantee on bookings made through our website so if you want to book with us directly in the future you can be sure that you will get the best rate and points. Thanks again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Aruba soon.

There are newer reviews for Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Reviewed 6 August 2013

This was my first trip to Aruba, and our group was quite pleased with our stay here. Here are some of my observations about the Marriott.
-I had visions of the smoke pouring out of the casino and looking like the smog over LA. The people who wrote that have obviously never been to a casino in Atlantic City.
-There's a palapas sortage even in the "off season." In my opinion this is overblown. Our group never got one the entire stay and I don't think we suffered one bit by it.
-The maid service was fantastic. My concierge, Meilee(?) was professional and efficient, banging out our dinner reservations one after another. (We opted not to eat at the property)
-The doors at this resort are automatic. This is sometimes problematic when you are walking at a quick pace and they suddenly open towards you. I know this from firsthand experience.
-The hotel is about a mile walk from shops and restaurants. Sometimes after a day in the sun our group, all over 50, didn't feel like walking it.
-The whirlpool is a bit of a joke, small and lukewarm.
-It seemed to me during my recon walks in the afternoon that there were a lot of events happening at the other Marriotts next door. Our group went for relaxation so that didn't bother us, but I was a little surprised at this.

Overall, this is a great hotel and I'd be happy to go back. We got a good rate since we were on the "construction side" and we still had a good view of the water and weren't bothered at all by any noise next door.

Room Tip: Don't sweat the palapas
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank dlivesay

Dear Divesay

Thank you for your kind review of our resort, you mentioned some great points and gave us some good feedback (sorry about the automatic door). You also commented on our neighboring Marriott Vacation Club properties which do have more activities during the day, and yes we are a bit more slanted towards a relax and do nothing experience. Again thank you for your great comments, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Aruba for your next trip.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

LOVE it here!! Staff is amazing! Love the pool, bars, beach! Close walk to the square where you can eat, get ice cream, STARBUCKS & shopping! Everyone was very friendly & helpful! Will definitely return for another visit!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Morgan F

Dear Morgan

Thank you for writing such a nice review, it is very much appreciated. I totally agree with you in every aspect (of course I am biased) I also LOVE it here!! Thanks again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had a wonderfully relaxing stay at Marriott hotel and stellaris. We really enjoyed the beautiful beach, peaceful adult pool and the great service! When ever we had a need all the hotel staff was so friendly and willing to help . It was hard to leave paradise and return home.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Margie C
ArubaMarriottResort, Hotel Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear Margie

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, you are right in calling Aruba Paradise, it really is. I have to pinch myself some days as it is hard to believe I really do live in Paradise. You mentioned our peaceful adult pool, which really has been a great addition to our resort and I am happy to hear you enjoyed its tranquility. You also mentioned our wonderful team, who I have to say are outstanding and make my job very easy. Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Paradise soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Just returned from a week long stay at the Marriott Aruba Resort & Stellaris Casino with my immediate family and mother-in-law. My family consistently stays at a Marriott resort each year during our vacation, so we consider ourselves pretty good at judging which resorts are better than others. Our trip here did not start off on the right foot; we went up to our room and found another couple already occupying it. This took about an hour to straighten out with the hotel staff, something my family and I could have easily done without after a tiring day of travel. I must say though, the hotel staff was sympathetic and understanding, even offering some compensation and a complementary upgrade to a suite room (which we did not end up taking for another reason). Later in the week they sent a fruit basket and some waters to my room as an apology. So, although they screwed up, they did a hell of a good job making up for it.

Besides that, everything at this place was great. The resort itself is nice, especially the back side near the beach. There is both an adult and kids pool, along with a small whirlpool. Beware: the whirlpool is frequently occupied by little kids. I found this rather annoying. The staff is friendly, helpful, and courteous. The concerieges are great, some better than others. But I personally recommend talking to the vacation club concierges (at the table outside the elevator doors) because usually the regular concierge near the check-in desk has a line but the vacation club ones typically do not (plus I found the vacation club concerieges nicer). Also, if you're looking to explore the island on your own, like we did, definitely ask the vacation club concierges where to go because the ones in the main lobby are only interested in selling you a guided tour.

A big disappointment about this hotel for me was the fact that essentially there are no real "ocean front" rooms. The only rooms that directly face the ocean are the suites. Besides that, the "ocean view" rooms can be good or bad depending where in hotel you are situated. The higher the number the closer to the ocean. Originally, we were supposed to be Room 608. In there you could BARELY see the ocean. You had to crane your neck around the balcony; mostly you had a view of the kids pool and a neighboring rooftop...not what I paid for. But when we finally got our issue resolved, we ended up in Room 625 and that had a much better view of the ocean; still not a perfect ocean view like I have gotten at other Marriott resorts, but better than where they originally had us. The higher the room # the better the view. Try to be as far down the hallway as possible.

The beach is truly breathtaking. Shaggy palms dot the sparkling white sand periodically lined with thatch huts, not just beach chairs and umbrellas. It certainly adds that "wow" factor to the asthetic part of the resort. Beware friends, that the huts sell out VERY fast and I personally recommend reserving one THE MINUTE YOU CHECK IN for the days you know you'll be at the beach (they cost $20 dollars a day, or $25 for an ocean front one). As they say, the early bird gets the worm. Don't waste the extra $5 dollars, the ocean front ones are literally 5 feet closer to the ocean than the regular ones. If you are feeling gutsy and decide to wait at some ungodly hour in the early morning or late afternoon to reserve a hut free of charge, be prepared to wait in a super long line. In my opinion, it was much easier to have a hut reserved for the $20/day. On another note, twice we arrived at the beach and found a foreign family underneath our hut. I had to call the towel boy over and he removed them. I suppose other peoples rudeness has nothing directly to do with hotel but the Marriott should have a better way of controlling the huts to make sure somebody isn't sitting in the shade on my expense, even when I'm not there. Another thing to note is that the beach is public so anyone can use it whether they are staying at the hotel or not.

As for the on-resort restaurants, I'd like to talk about two. La Vista had an expansive breakfast buffett for $25/person. All the breakfast staples plus so much more including create your own smoothie. My family liked it so much we went twice. La Vista offers nightly themed buffets (Taste of Rome, Sicilian, Fish, etc.) which we did not get to try, but would've liked to. Ask to sit outside there is a nice, shady view of the beach, but the birds are terribly pesky. The minute you put your fork down they are at your food. So then again, maybe you want to sit inside. In the main lobby of the hotel there are two casual cafes that are open 24 hours a day. They are the Lobby Cafe and a sushi restaurant of which I forget the name. The lobby cafe is great for a late night dessert like gelato, pastry, or the like. However I DO NOT recommend eating here for breakfast. We thought it would be great one morning to get an early start and just eat here in the lobby. They had bagels, cereal, croissants, and a few other things to choose from. Most of my family got bagels and we all agreed that they were TERRIBLE. Probably the worst I've every had...hard as a rock, no taste, chewy, down right disgusting. We all got different types but clearly that did not matter as they were all equally bad. We didn't know if we were the only ones who thought this, but our realizations were later confirmed on the beach when a woman told us she thought the same thing! Don't go there for breakfast. They served good gelato and I must say the 24 hours was convenient especially if you got in late after dinner and felt like something sweet. My family does not like sushi so we didn't try that place out.

Most staff in the hotel are generally very nice and will always extend a warm greeting no matter the time of day. Our maid was ok, but I know for a fact that my mother-in-law, who was in a room down the hall, had Dora as her maid and she was supposedly "excellent". So its really just luck of the draw.

Overall this hotel was scored pretty well in my book. I had a few complaints, but in the end the positives canceled out the negatives. No doubt I have stayed at better Marriott resorts. Aruba is such an appealing island though, I could simply not give this resort anything below a 4.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AustintoBoston

Dear Austinto

Thank you for your review, it is great to get such detailed feedback. Although I am sorry to hear that you arrival experience went a bit wrong, it is nice to know that the team made it up to you throughout your stay. You commented on our vacation club concierge, who I will be happy to pass along your positive notes, I will however also work with our lobby concierge on the points you noted. You also mentioned about our Ocean View rooms, as with every building there are varying views, we do try and be very transparent in our approach to views, and as such label different rooms, Garden View, Partial Ocean View and Ocean View etc. but I am sorry that your view was not as you had hoped. You review talked about a number of positive and not so positive aspects, and I will of course address these, so thank you again for your feedback and I do hope that I get the chance to welcome you back to Aruba soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

This was my third stay at this property and my first stay upgrading to the Tradewinds Club. The Tradewinds Club offers a number of features that I haven't seen detailed in other posts, so I offer this review to fill in the blanks. Although there is some grey area because of room types, the upgrade to Tradewinds costs ~$75 extra per day. I don't know of anyone successfully getting that comped because of their status. My final verdict, although I was skeptical going into it - the upgrade was well worth the money.

What you get: 1) a top floor room, 2) a lounge with three pretty good meals a day, 3) anytime (7am-9pm) soft drinks / beer / snacks in the lounge, 4) a private beach area, 5) full bar in the lounge from 6pm-9pm, 6) private check-in & check out, 7) a few close-in parking spots.

The lounge: It's best described as a super concierge lounge at a good Marriott property. There's no atmosphere to speak of, but the views are nice. The food was above my expectations, especially at dinner. Every night at dinner (6pm-7pm) there were plenty of sushi rolls and sashimi along with four or five varied small plate style restaurant quality entrees. Lunch (12pm-2pm) was basic sandwiches and wraps. Breakfast (7am-10am / 11am on weekends) was a full american mixture including eggs bendict of different types each morning. Although you're not supposed to take food or drinks out of the lounge, they weren't picky about that and smuggling a couple of beers out to drink on my balcony was no problem. From 6pm-9pm each night there's a self-serve full bar which was good, although the wine selections were terrible.

Private beach: The Tradewinds beach and towel hut is at the north end of the main beach. Unlike the main beach, I was able to stroll over at 11am and get a Palapa and lounge chair with no problem. They also have free floaties and the attendant comes around every so often to offer water bottles. It's more peaceful than the regular beach in that the Tradewinds club doesn't allow kids in the rooms, so there are few kids on that beach as well.

Room Tip: The property is shaped like a "U". The ends of the "U" are the best rooms becaus...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank consul10t

Dear Consul

Thank you for your lovely review of our Tradewinds Club, this is our exclusive adult only floor, and it sounds like you enjoyed it. As with most resorts we do not have a concierge lounge, as they are usually more of a business amenity, so the Tradewinds lounge is not an option for our Elite Marriott Rewards Members. However, like you many of our regular guests do chose to purchase an upgrade as it really is a different vacation experience. You also mentioned our wine selection, and this is an area that I will certainly take a look at, thank you for that great piece of feedback. Again thank you for you review (and great picture) and I look forward to welcoming you back for your 4th visit.

Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

I was here for my birthday with my wife. Service was excellent from time we arrived. Staff is friendly. Food is good! View from room was outstanding. If you have the option ask for Reshma at the front desk. She is a sweetheart and arranged for something special for my birthday.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank DrDMadrid_Spain

Dear Dr D

Thank you for your review, it is very much appreciated. I am very happy to hear that you had a great stay, and that your wife’s birthday went well. You mentioned Reshma, who is certainly outstanding, I will be sure to pass along your comments when I see her today. Again thank you for your review and maybe we will see you back here for your own birthday next time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#14 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!