“Excellent!”

Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed at the resort Sunday, May 4th through Friday, May 9th and loved every second of it. The staff was incredible, the resort was very well taken care of, and the atmosphere was very relaxing. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We had a garden room, overlooking the waterfall. We were on the 3rd floor, so we had a slight ocean...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
ArubaMarriottResort, Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Auflag

Thank you for your review of our resort, we do appreciate the feedback. Matt, the Hotel Manager is away from the hotel today so he is not able to personally respond to your review as he usually does. Once he is back he will go through your kind comments with the team.

The Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino Team.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,108)

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I found it difficult to relax at this resort. Marriott takes every opportunity to make money at your expense. I thought that paying over $300 a night for a premium ocean view room (which by the way was partial ocean view) would allow me to use amenities like the umbrellas or palapas at the beach. However, Marriott wants to charge $30 a day to reserve them in advance, even though more than half are unoccupied at any given time. (Someone told me they wanted $75 for the ones closest to the sea.) The beach towel staff will tell you that they are all full or none are available, even though some remain unused the entire day. They'll try to rip you off by getting you to pay to reserve them in advance. This stupid policy made it irritating when we were occasionally told we had to move to make way for guests who paid extra. Sometimes we were able to use an umbrella all day (even though they claimed there were none available). The staff said there are some umbrellas that are available for free, but you usually have to wake up and stand in a line at 7am to request them. I don't feel like setting my alarm to wake up early when I'm on vacation. Why can't all the umbrellas be free and first come, first served all the time? That seems fair to me. Inconveniences and BS like this made it difficult to relax.

Everywhere you look, it seems like Marriott is out to rob you or make money at your expense. Other examples include closing the pool area if there's a wedding reception or private party (even if it's just 10 people using a small area of the patio and not the pool). This happened twice.

We were also told we'd be on the quiet side of the resort (south tower facing the adult pool), but we had to deal with DJ noise from 2 parties.

Other annoyances were the phone calls we were getting. I called the front desk to request housekeeping make up our room between 5-7 pm because they hadn't done it by 2pm when our baby was going down for a nap. Twice during his nap time, they called back to schedule the room cleaning, when I already specified a timeframe. We had to unplug the phones because they couldn't convey a message.

Another day we found a note under the door that engineers were going to come into the room to do "preventative maintenance." The note asked us to accept this note as a token of their appreciation for our patience and understanding. No casino credits, no free drink, no coupon for their overpriced restaurants, no free umbrella. Just a note, as a token of their appreciation. That's the worst token of appreciation I've ever received.

Some amenities that didn't cost extra include: free use of towels, free use of the pool (when it wasn't closed for a private event), free use of the ocean, free use of the bathrooms, free use of a baby crib.

This was the last time I will stay at a money grubbing Marriott for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Try a different resort like the Radisson, so you're closer to more restaurants and not stuck wit...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank TooBuKoo
ArubaMarriottResort, Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear TooBuKoo

Thank you for talking the time to give us your feedback. I am obviously disappointed that we did not hit the mark for you. You mentioned the beach palapa’s, and I have to say that it certainly is difficult for all of the major beach hotels to manage this area, all of Aruba’s beautiful beaches are public, and as such the number of palapa’s we have is not regulated by the hotel. We do feel that we offer a very fair approach to getting a palapa, which allows some to be given out in the morning for the next day, some in the afternoon and some at a small price. Of course the system is not perfect, and not everyone may get a palapa every day during peak season. Recognizing this we did add an additional pool last year, which has become very popular with our adult guests. We also started adding a $50 F&B credit to the palapa’s in front of our Waves Restaurant which has also become a popular option. Again I am sorry that you did not enjoy our resort and do hope that you may reconsider us for your next trip to Aruba.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Overall, nice property, anmenties, and staff for the most part, which is expected for the price paid and hotel type. However, there are some good and bad things.

Enjoyed the beach and adult pool areas. Staff throughout, including maintenance/cleaning staff, with a couple of exceptions (e.g., towel/beach hut and beach bar staff were just ok) were very accommodating and helpful. Staff at the tour desk, bar, and coffee/snack bar were particularly friendly and nice.

While the rooms were clean and spacious (love the balcony and bed), the first two rooms I checked into were very moldly and should not have been offered for rent. Also, carpets in all three rooms I saw, including my final room, were wore and in desperate need of replacement. This was particularly evident in the first room I initially checked into, and the bed linens and furniture looked dated in all three rooms. The bathroom was great. Regarding the two mold-ridden rooms, I was ready to find another hotel until I was given room 832, which was acceptable. Lastly, for the rooms, the sitting chair in the room is strange and not comfortable.

Several times, I called to resolve a few issues during my stay (e.g., mold, noise, general information, etc.) and got the run around...transfered to people who never picked up their phones...literally, I had to walk downstairs to get service. And then downstairs, staff was overwhelmed with other guests and checkins ...I was told this was a "busy" time of day....if it's a busy time of day (I assume it happens everyday based on flight schedules and doesn't management know how many checkins they are going to get each day?), then more staff should be present. Other times, there was only one staff member behind the counter...not sure this is adequate for a large resort hotel. Lastly, there was a separate elite member line, which was never enforced.

Room Tip: The hotel is u-shaped with the open part of the u facing the ocean. The hotel 8 stories high. All...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear ConstantTrekker

Thank for your sharing your experience with us, feedback is always appreciated. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our pool & beach areas, and that you found our associates friendly. We have a great team and their friendliness is a common comment we hear. You also mentioned that a couple of rooms were not up to the standard that they should have been, and I am genuinely sorry about that. I will make a point of reviewing these pieces with our Housekeeping team at this week’s operations review. Again thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort again soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

So this April break we decided to try the St Kitts Marriott instead of Stellaris at Aruba. We love the Stellaris and we missed it a lot this year. St Kitts was great and a lot quieter for those on the blogs saying they want that, but there's no Caribbean Island like Aruba for weather, food, direct flights, and friendly people and the Marriott is awesome.

Our only issue wit Stellaris is the number of umbrellas, lack of shade at the pool and the mad rush to get pool chairs between 6:30-7:30. Matt- why can't the Marriott install more umbrellas or do what St Kitts has done and have most seats with the canopies? Please do something to help with this as it's the one consistent complaint heard about the Marriott Stellaris.

With that said we will be back again next year as we love it!! We've made good friends by going each year and we'll be back for sure.

I will up my review to the highest next year if there's more shade at the pool.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Bruce G

Dear Bruce

Well I have to say that this is the first time I have been mentioned in a review title, I am not sure if I like the fame, but will try and get used to it and not let it go to my head. I do understand your comment and the need for shade, however all of Aruba’s beautiful beaches are public, and as such the number of palapa’s we have is not regulated by the hotel. Recognizing this we did add an additional pool last year, which has become very popular with our adult guests. We are also looking at ways to extend our beach & pool area this year to add even more shaded areas, so hopefully when you return we will have some extra spots for you to enjoy our resort in. Again thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort again soon.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

This place is amazing! The rooms were very clean and well appointed. The grounds are beautiful and the pool area is outstanding. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. There is a restaurant on site that sits on the beach "Simply Fish"! Best dinner I have ever had!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Dear Tripadvisor Member

Thank you for your kind review of our resort, it is very much appreciated. You are right about your Paradise review title, some days I have to pinch myself to make sure I am not dreaming, it really is Paradise here. It sounds like you had a fantastic time with us. Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here in 2013, decided to write a review now since I just recommended to a friend who is going.

Hotel has everything to keep you entertained... lobby bar, entertainment, casino...
Great for all ages, we are in out early 30s and enjoyed ourselves.

I know sometimes all-inclusive is typically a better option for kids, but we saw the all-inclusive hotels there and they seemed rundown... there is so much to explore in Aruba in terms of restaurants that I wouldn't want to limit myself.

Ps - Service is great! As well as clean and nicely kept grounds

Go, you will love this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravlerTwins

Dear TravlerTwins

Thank you for your lovely review of our resort, it is very much appreciated. It sounds like you really enjoyed our hotel and our island. You are right in saying that there are lots of places to explore on Aruba, it really is a diverse island. . Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

So this was my first time visiting this resort as I've stayed at the Riu and Radisson prior. I heard great reviews and have been in the market to buy a time share here for the last few months so I booked my stay at the stellaris.
Upon arrival my room was not ready,I asked ifI could have a 7th floor room but was told they were all sold out. We originally booked a premium ocean view. ( beware this is really a "partial" ocean view room) which was not what I was expecting at all. We were given a roomon the 6th floor overlooking the family pool and limited ocean view. I spoke with the front desk but they told me that this is what premium ocean was. I was floored as I spent over $300 a night for the view. Not to make a fuss I let it go. When we decided to head to the pool we found the room door would not lock . And there was a horrible musty smell in the room. I personally went down stairs to speak with the manager. I got the run around for a bout 20 minutes until I finally told them I was going to leave and stay somewhere else and wanted a refund. It was a joke my first day basically wasted as we arrived close to 3. After another 20 minutes talking to multiple managers they agreed to change my room to one on the 7th floor the next day. I accepted and had to wait another twenty minutes for maintenance to come fix the door. The following day we had to be out before 10am. I assumed that meant I'd have a room early. Nope. We spent nearly six hours at the beach because all our luggage was stored we were room less and the"new" room wasn't ready until 4pm. Another day basically lost. Now I never ever write reviews but my experience here warranted one.
The final result...we did get a pretty nice room with a view but the service was less than par and a hassle . Not to mention nothing really around the hotel that's it's waking distance and not the best stretch of beach allot of seaweed . I don't think il be returning to this resort .

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Nicole B
ArubaMarriottResort, Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Nicole

Thank you for your review of our resort, we do appreciate the feedback. Matt, the Hotel Manager is away from the hotel today, so he is not able to personally respond to your review as he usually does. We are sorry that we missed the mark during your stay, this is certainly not the vacation experience that we pride ourselves on. You mentioned a few points that we need to work on, and this feedback will help us. Once he is back he will go through your comments and feedback with the team.

Thanks

The Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino Team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4 mi away
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!