“Big sprawling resort. Beware of cross resort rules”

Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Manhattan
“Big sprawling resort. Beware of cross resort rules”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

This is the third in a line of marriott properties on this stretch of beach. The other two also show up on travel booking sites but they are time share properties so seem to sell out quicker. In the last week of February every comparable hotel seemed to be in the $450+ range. We booked four nights on points and paid 100+ for an upgrade to an ocean view room. In hindsight, we wouldn't have paid for it. Yes, we did have ocean views. But we were in the inner part of the u-shaped hotel and the rooms on either arm of the U would have really nice views too.
Nice balcony on a decent floor. Well equipped hotel. They put in a cot for our toddler.
The first evening we got lucky when we walked up to the hut assignment desk and they happened to have a cancellation for the next day and gave it to us. The other days we went just before 7 to get one. They also give a few out in the afternoon. Hard to get one in front though. We didn't even try to pay for one so no idea how the paid ones work.
Service on the beach is pretty slow. They brink over drinks and food in flimsy disposable containers and it takes forever. They offer flatbed flats for five bucks. They were free at the Hyatt.
The beach is wonderful. Weedy on one side but really great otherwise. We did a family tube ride and that was fun. My toddler really enjoyed it and remembers it to this day.
We were able to enjoy the lazy river in the adjoining resort a few times. On the last day they pulled us out because err didn't have a waistband. It is supposed to be used by surf club guests only. A pity.The cafes and lobby shops in the other two resorts have more options for breakfast, snacks and other necessities like milk and soda.
The lively part of town is opposite the Hyatt and is not walking distance from this Marriott. Be sure to head there in a cab in the evening.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank AksNYC
ArubaMarriottResort, Guest Relations Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear AksNYC,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our resort, it is appreciated. You comment on the beautiful beaches, and we have to agree they really are beautiful and there are many to choose from.
The lazy river at the Surf Club is for Surf Club guests only. Each resort has its the facilities for their guests, just as we have the H2Oasis adults only pool available for our guests. Again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

the Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,667)
Syosset, New York
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This Hotel was awesome. This was my 2nd trip to Aruba. Previously I stayed at the Radisson. 4 things distinguish the Marriott from the Radisson. 1) Adult Pool!!!!! 2) Enclosed A/C Lobby 3) Casino 4) Overall Resort Experience. Only drawback is that is a cab ride away from the main strip, whereas at the Radisson, you can walk right out of the Hotel. The Breakfast is a bit pricey, but make sure you do the all-you-can-eat Seafood Buffet on Friday nights (All you can eat lobster for $55). At the AM/PM Buffett, Make sure you ask for Hostess "Phine" and Robert or Augustine for a waiter.

Room Tip: You want to make sure you have a room facing the pool/ocean. Horrible views in front of Hotel.
4 Thank Orangeshaq
Dear Orangeshaq,

Thank you for your kind review of our resort, it is very much appreciated. It sounds like you had a great time with us, and experienced many of our resorts features. You commented on our H2Oasis adult pool, which has become a signature feature for us and really is a great place to chill out and relax. Thank you for mentioning Phine, Robert or Augustine at La Vista, they are great associates. Again thank you for your review and we ook forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

North Stonington, Connecticut
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I came here for our honeymoon June 15-June 21. After exploring the two time share properties next door as well as the Ritz on the other side while we were there, we felt that this hotel was the perfect fit for us. Just the right size with not too many kids. There were two main pool areas - one adults only (there are iguanas everywhere though!) and one with families. The place is not overrun with kids, but not dead either.
We loved hanging out on the beach area the most. Instead of basing our trip around the 4pm and 7am free palapa give-aways, we just paid for them on two different days. The first day we took the $75 option ($25 goes toward the palapa - on the front row, and the rest needs to be spent on food and drinks for the day - which we easily spent). The next time we had bought beer at the grocery store so we paid for a $25 palapa (still need to do this the day before or that morning because all that's left when you want one right then is the $75 option) that was in the middle of the palapa section, but still only a few steps from the water. Beer is expensive everywhere on the island, but the hotel especially. $7-8 a bottle (10 oz bottle). At the grocery store you can get Amstel Bright (the local Caribbean Amstel that tastes similar to Corona) for $2 a bottle. Mixed drinks will run around $8-12 depending on the special.
Cab ride from airport to the hotel on Sunday was $28. To the airport on Sat was $25. Cab to and from Oranjestad on Friday was $11 each way. Cab to and from flying fishbone was $30.
Most nights we walked to the shops/restaurants across from the Holiday Inn - Radisson area. Plenty to see and eat within walking distance. We also ate at Ruth's Chris and Simply Fish and did the breakfast buffet at La Vista one morning. Ruth's Chris and Simply Fish were incredible! La Vista looks exciting but the food is just ok. You can walk down to Moomba Beach Bar for the $11.99 breakfast buffet that is just as good if not better tasting (they also make omelets).
For our honeymoon, we were surprised when we came back to our room on the second night and there was a bottle of champagne and two pieces of chocolate cake for us, along with a nice note from the lady at the front desk - Yvon. Nice touch!
The maid service was awesome, even folding my husbands clothes he left strewn all over! They also left us a nice handwritten note.
We did the time share talk next door (2 hours) and got a $175 voucher to use at the restaurants on property (can also be used at some restaurants and stores elsewhere). We thought it was worth it. Low pressure.
Platinum rewards members get free in room Wi-Fi, $50 to make calls home, and 10% off in the restaurants.
I'm glad we didn't upgrade to the Tradewinds all-inclusive because there are so many great restaurants around the island and we would have missed out if we felt like we needed to get our money's worth at the all inclusive. Gianni's and Casa Tuo (both near Senior Frogs) and Flying Fishbone were some of our favorites.
We will definitely be back!

3 Thank Christa P
ArubaMarriottResort, Guest Relations Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Christa,

Thank you for your kind review of our resort, it is very much appreciated. It sounds like your and your husband enjoyed your Aruba vacation! Thanks for sharing your insights and tips with other viewers, we believe it is very helpful. Again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

The Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino Team
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I recently returned from 9 days and 8 nights at the Aruba Marriott Resort Stellaris. We celebrated our honeymoon. We stayed on the Tradewinds Club level. The tastings offered at the lounge were delicious. All the staff were great but one went above and beyond for us. Kimesha at the Tradewinds Club made sure we were happy throughout our whole trip. Throughout our stay we enjoyed 3 different rooms. The first 4 days we had a room on the 8th floor with a great center view of the property, the pool and beach. On the 5th day Kimesha assisted us in upgrading to a corner suite on the 8th floor with an amazing view overlooking the whole beach. At the end of the trip we decided to stay one more day and Kimesha took care of all the details for us. Our 3rd room was located on the 4th floor corner suite over looking the beach and the pool. Kimesha took care of us by sending complimentary goodies throughout our trip with wonderful hand written notes. It was a very nice touch that made us feel welcomed and appreciated.

— Kristi & Frank

3 Thank Kristi M
Dear Kristi,

Thank you for your kind review of our resort, it is very much appreciated. It sounds like you really enjoyed your honeymoon at the Tradewinds Club; it is surely a great place to relax and unwind for some adult luxury. Kimesha is one of our superstars and we will be sure to pass along your great comments. Again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.
Washington DC
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We really had a wonderful experience. We traveled with 2 one year olds, so my review will be more about traveling with children. The hotel is super clean, and the staff was top notch and super helpful. From the moment we arrived it went smoothly. Check out also was a breeze. This never happens to us. We were traveling on vouchers due to winning a reward trip from our company. I explained to the hotel early on that we would need adjoining rooms with 2 double beds in each room. Each couple had a one year old so if we were to see each other at all we would need adjoining rooms as both of our children go to bed around 7pm nightly. This was a mess in the beginning because they don't have many rooms with this option. They only apparently have 2 rooms in the entire hotel with this setup. I would think this would need to be fixed since so many families take trips together and since this is a family hotel this is a need lots of families might need. I called the front desk and Melinda was nice enough to secure this room for me. I then called multiple times leading up to my visit to make sure. Upon ck in the ft desk told me I'm sorry we only have king rooms adjoining. I politely explained. She then read the notes and we were off to our adjoining double rooms. I'll go through each area below. When I read reviews I like skim and get the most useful information in a nutshell.. so here goes.

Rooms-
Nice, large and clean. The views were gorgeous!! The tv service is terrible, but who needs a TV in Aruba (unless the world cup is on :( The fridge is super small so don't plan on buying food and storing in the room fridge. This was a disaster with bottles and trying to store milk/fruit in the fridge for baby. Bed was fine. Pillows were terrible. I mean terrible.. like couch pillows. Room was cleaned daily and maid service was wonderful.

Restaurants-
Ruth's Chris-- Yummy of course... normal chain we have here in the US. We just craved steak one night.
Waves-this is the area near the beach that serves lunch. It was really good and the service was great. I was tired of it by the end of the week, but we never had a bad meal. The toddlers loved the quesadillas. The burgers were yummy, ck fingers were good, fish tacos were amazing.
La Vista- We had breakfast here every morning. This was my least favorite. We had vouchers that were included in our stay or we would never of kept going back. I'm not a foodie, but this breakfast was one of worst buffets I have been to at a resort. Food was the same every single day. No variations No changes. The potatoes were cold and tough ever single day. The pancakes were soggy. The bacon was super greasy. The omelets were standard. The fresh juice was a nice touch. The only day that was yummy was on Sunday. They had lox, prime rib and lots of other options. I feel like if u are paying that high amount then the buffet should be legit. Save your money and eat some crackers.

Beach-
It was gorgeous, and fine for us. It was off season and it was still packed so I can imagine in high season it being not so fine. The view was gorgeous. The hut situation was/is a disaster. I think it's a crock that you have to pay extra for the huts and that so many are free. My best advice is to go the day before at 330p or at 630a (that's when folks start lining up) and get one for free. Only downfall is that the free ones are on the very last rows. At that point u can't see the beach and you might as well just stay at the pool which is what we did after getting a hut one day. I think it's terrible that you have to pay $75 for the front ones. Marriott should be ashamed of themselves really. If you have young children you have to have a hut if you want to do the beach because the sun is super strong.

Pool-nice and clean. Not hard to get seats. We were out by 7a everyday to reserve our chairs. You can start reserving at 7a. However, there seemed to be lots of chairs open throughout the day. The swimup bar is a nice addition. The drinks were yummy as well. Save your money and buy during happy hour so u can get 2 for 1. Loved the must by the pool on Friday night. That was tons of fun.

Adult Pool-nice and relaxing and quiet. Drinks are more expensive here during happy hour. It's 2 for $15 here for the exact same drinks that are are 2 for 1 at the other pool so grab your drink before u arrive.

Casino-full of smoke. Walked in and walked right back out.

Service-GREAT!! Everyone was super nice and helpful. I asked where Moomba Beach was and they walked us to it. (I'll review that later but stay away from that place unless you've just turned 21) All waitstaff was wonderful. The front desk was wonderful. We had 2 coolers that carry our babies milks in that needed to be frozen overnight (random I know) so we could take on the plane and they did it with no problem and no fuss. If I called and needed extra towels, or a spoon or whatever they came up super quick. Everything was no problem. We were asked multiple times while out and about if we needed anything.

Taxis- not too expensive. If you need organic milk for toddlers go to Ling and Sons grocery. Superfoods does not have it.

We will def go back. All in all a wonderful, clean and nice hotel with wonderful service. They just should address the stuff above to make it an even more wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: The higher up the better the view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank applegirl78
Dear applegirl78,

Thank you for your review of our resort, it is much appreciated. You took the time to elaborate on your stay and there are some points that we can improve. Your feedback certainly helps to hear the voice from a family vacationer perspective. We look forward to welcome you back in the future.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 June 2014

From the moment we arrived at the hotel and taken upstairs to the Tradewinds Club, my stay could have not been any better. I came to Aruba to celebrate my birthday and was soooooo very pleased with your staff. I just want to say that Margaret is the most loving and personable member of your staff there who made the BIGGEST impact on our visit. I don't have any negative comments about my stay at all! Aside from her smiles and mini convo's in the Tradewind club, Margaret went out of her way to make my birthday even more special. Thanks Kimesha for the slice of cake sent to our room and thanks to Glendy, Marlon, Isaika and Cici for making the last night at happy hour fun. And I can not leave out Hermania (don't let her know if I spelled it wrong) at the Tradewind Club section of the beach was the best. She kept us laughing and refreshed with those lavendar scented COLD cloths. We had debated trying the Ritz Carlton for the first, only because it was brand new, but I can assure you each stay in Aruba will ALWAYS be at the Marriott and in the Tradewinds Club. Don't change a thing! And aside from the staff mentioned, please single out Margaret and Hermania and make sure they know how great of a job they are doing, to keep up the good work and that they made the BIGGEST difference in my birthday stay and how I will view Marriott from here on out.

Room Tip: Tradewinds Club!!!!!!!
3 Thank Shawn T
ArubaMarriottResort, Guest Relations Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Shawn,

Thank you for your kind review of our resort, it is very much appreciated. It sounds like your Birthday was a great one! Thank you for mentioning our Tradewinds team, in particulat Margaret and Herminia. We will be sure to share your review and they will be thrilled with your lovely comments. Again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

the Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino team
bordentown, nj
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband and I recently stayed two nights at the Aruba Marriott Resort on the Tradewinds Club level. We are always pleasantly surprised by the great staff and delicious quality food offered in the lounge. Margaret and Marie are always so friendly and helpful at the front desk at the Tradewinds and make us feel like family when we return. We were contacted prior to our stay by Reshma, who is a supervisor at the Marriott specializing in Gold and Platinum Elite members. When we mentioned that we were celebrating our 36th anniversary and a milestone birthday while on vacation, she made sure that we had a room with the most perfect view directly overlooking the pool and beach. It was magnificent! She also sent to our room a complimentary bottle of wine, and a two delicious pieces of chocolate cake with Happy Birthday written on the plate. It was a very nice touch that made us feel welcomed and appreciated. The Tradewinds beach area is a little secluded and provides you with plenty of space and your choice of a palapa or shaded lounge chairs. The food at the lounge is always top shelf with crabcakes and petite filets at dinner, and eggs benedict and danishes, etc. for breakfast. Lunch buffet always includes a small salad bar with a variety of toppings and fresh fruit and small desserts. There are wraps, mini-sandwiches, along with beer, water, and soft drinks at your disposal throughout the day. The open bar at night with wine and all sorts of liquers and "hard" liquors were always enjoyed, along with homemade sangria, which gave it that extra touch. The guests on that floor are always friendly and it's great to have that personal interaction sharing vacation stories and tips on where to eat and what to do on the island. The rooms are very spacious, and the entire hotel is extremely well-maintained by their housekeeping staff. From the bellhops to the maids to the front desk receptionists to the restaurant workers, like Francis and Alexis at LaVista, they make your stay a very pleasant one, when you can truly say Aruba is your home away from home.

4 Thank Cindy B
Dear cinrick,

Thank you for your kind review of our resort, it is very much appreciated. It sounds like you really enjoyed our Tradewinds Club; sometimes it is nice to treat yourself to a bit of adult luxury.. You mentioned Margaret, Maria and Reshma who really are true professionals, and I know they will be thrilled with your lovely comments. Again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

the Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,795 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,933 reviews
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,236 reviews
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,395 reviews
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!