“Great Stay at the Marriott”

Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This was our first time in Aruba and our family of four stayed at the Marriott for a week in July. This review is a little lengthy but hopefully can provide some helpful tips. During this trip we were celebrating some major events. The prior month was our 25th anniversary, I turned 50 and my son graduated high school.
Prior to our trip we received a call and email from Reshma from the guest relations office welcoming us on our upcoming trip and asked if we needed anything or if we were celebrating anything special. I did mention our special events. Not sure if they do this all the time or because of my Marriott status but this was a nice start to the upcoming week. Check in was quick and easy and the receptionist was very nice. We got into our room and had message from Reshma just welcoming us to Aruba and Marriot. As we were settling in our room, someone knocked at the door... room service showed up with a bottle of champagne and two delicious pieces of chocolate cake to honor our special events. This was a great start to our vacation. Later we do go down a meet Reshma to thank her for the surprise. She was very nice and made sure everything was okay.
Our room was a pretty good size and I was pleased to find a nice size bathroom with two sinks and plenty of room. The closet was also a nice size where you can hang a good amount of clothes and we used it to hang up our bathing suits to dry. The only nit may be the mini fridge is pretty small enough for a half gallon of milk and few bottles of water.
The resort itself was very nice and clean and we did enjoy seeing some of the Iguanas hanging around. The resort has two pools one for everyone and one for adults only. The beach area was great and the whole reason we came here. I will say we did walk up and down the beach and the stretch in front of the Marriott Resort is one of the best. The water is calm and only up to your chest pretty far out. One thing we did notice is that this area also had almost no seaweed where some other beach fronts had seaweed. Beach towels and chairs are free but there is a process to secure a Palapa for free. You can rent one for $30 a day or get one for free if you wait in line for 7 am for the day of or at 4 pm to get on for the next day. The line starts forming up to an hour before and you reserve it at the towel hut. So I went down about 6:15 AM with a few people ahead of me. They only sign up about 15 Palapas in the afternoon and 15 in the morning so getting there before 6:30 worked out. If you are okay to pay $30 for the day...no need to wait in line. In reading reviews people made comments about getting up early to get a palapa but I did not mind. I get up early anyway and found it to be a nice way to talk to some of the other guests. Some of them come year over year and they provided some nice information on Aruba where to go eat, etc. After reserving my palapa I got towels and went over where the staff person would grab the number of lounge chairs you wanted and put the towels on it for you. The staff was very nice and helpful. One policy they have it that you have to occupy the palapa by 10 am or you will lose it. This is a resort so the restaurant food and drinks are going to be pricey but the cafe was reasonable in comparison we had lunch there one day. However most of the time we opted to go down the road to the Superfood market. There we bought some bagels for breakfast in the morning and some snack foods, fruit, bread and cold cuts for beach. One recommendation I would make is to buy a collapsible cooler back home and bring it with you. We bought one from Wal-Mart for about $9 dollars and easy to pack and bring, it fits about 12 soda cans so it was big enough and I used zip lock bags to hold ice.
As is said earlier the Marriot is on a great stretch of Palm Beach but it is one of the last hotels on the strip. It is not close to the market area and if you do not have rental car you can get a taxi or walk along the beach side of the hotels and cut through the Holiday inn parking lot. However some of the area passed the 3 Marriott resorts is not paved and you have to walk on the sand. We walked one night and it was nice but we had a rental car and used that most times. There have been a lot of forums on whether to rent a car or not but when you take into account the cost of the airport transfers for 4 and taxi cost and a one day rental it isn't really any less expensive, anyway I digress. The beach also has a lot of water sport activities you can rent or do right on beach. One thing we found out that if you want to rent Jet Skis you don't have to drive down to Eagle Beach they take you on a boat from Palm Beach down to the Jet Ski area.
Overall we had a great time at the Marriott Resort the beach was great and the staff was friendly and we would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Red-Barchetta2011
ArubaMarriottResort, Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Red-Barchetta2011

You have listed some great tips on our resort and our island, thank you very much. It sounds like you all had a great time with your dual celebrations. You mentioned some of our wonderful associates and I will be sure that I personally thank them for you. I also loved your picture of the beach early in the morning. We are the only hotel that clears the beach of chairs completely each night, and I think it is lovely to walk it early in the morning. Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Matt Knights, Hotel Manager, Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Write a ReviewReviews (6,104)

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We have visited the Marriott Aruba Resort & Stellaris Casino 4 times and we just keep coming back. Everyone on staff is super friendly and it is impossible not to get caught up in "one happy island!" We had a problem with our room safe and the security staff was so nice. That night they left a plush animal for our 4 year old daughter, who was in the room when they came to fix the safe. Happy hour was twice a day and we took full advantage of it! I cannot say enough goog things about this hotel, as it is at the end of the beach so it is quieter than some other locations. I won't even go into the palapa situation, as it has been covered here abundantly, but yes, it is rather annoying. Get up at 5:30 or risk not getting one. I happen to be an early riser, so it didn't bother me, but it can be a pain for sure. There are pay options, but it is guaranteed that on the day you arrive none of the pay options will be available for 3 days. So...maybe schedule some excursions the first couple of days and then take over your pre-paid palapa. Haven't stayed on the Tradewinds floor, as we had our young daugher with us, but I was told by another guest it wasn't worth the extra price.

Room Tip: I happen to love the garden/pool view rooms. Beyond the pool you can see the ocean, and the trees n...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Babola123

Dear Babola123

I am so happy that you love our resort; I know that I am a little biased but I also love it. You will be pleased to know that we are extending our beach area later this year with the addition of more shade options, so this should help out, especially in your first few days. Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review, and I hope we get to see you again soon for a 5th visit.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The Aruba Marriott is the largest, or one of the largest hotels on the island. Located on one end of the high rise district, the hotel is part of a huge Marriott Company complex, as there is a new Ritz on one side and the giant Marriott time-share property on the other side. Taxi to/from the airport is a pre-tip $25 flat fee.

Aruba is a Boston/NY vacation stronghold, as approximately 50% of U.S. visitors to the island are from these two metros. New Yorkers will appreciate the in-room TV system, as NYC local channels are available as part of 30-35 channel offering.

Perks of the hotel were an amazing lobby café, that Bibi and her crew run with military like efficiency. Yummy treats and coffee are available in quick serve style, but there are some tables there as well. If there is a big game back home, there is a Champion’s Sports Bar on-site. Each floor had 2 ice machines, so there is always one close to your room, and the Daily Aruba newspaper (no American papers were available anywhere on the island) was left near each floor’s elevators, so you couldn’t miss them. Finally, Ruth’s Chris Steak is right by the guest elevators!

Negatives included no CNBC in the room, the Concierge desk was only staffed until 8PM, and the computers (all 2 of them) charged $7 for like 15 minutes. In addition, for a resort property the fitness center was below par, as some of the equipment was literally taped together. Also, at least on our floor there was an awful smell for our entire visit.

The casino was small, but after seeing other hotels, this is standard for Aruba. Gaming is an afterthought here, not a priority like Vegas/Atlantic City.

Featuring a large/ noisy pool, an adult only (quiet, not topless) pool and a gorgeous beach, the Marriott has something for everyone in-terms of daytime activities. To mitigate the blasting heat, I strongly recommend using a “tiki hut” on the beach. There are several ways to acquire use of one, but the best recommendation is to reserve one the day before (all transactions happen at the towel hut in-between the pool/beach). For $50 you do not have to wait in-line (as that is another method to score a hut) and they credit you $40 for drinks/lunch, so the actual cost is an amazingly low $10! Gabriel serves as your personal Tiki valet for the day, and is over often to see if you need anything.

The pool bar and the beach bar feature the same menu, which was a bit of a downer, but the delicious Cuban sandwich made-up for that. Server Tamara and the bartenders will get you fed and back to the pool/beach in no time.

The hotel features an amazing dining experience at Simply Fish. At around 4PM each day, workers start setting tables on the beach, so customers can soon enjoy a romantic sunset dinner just steps away from the ocean. We couldn’t believe that you didn’t pay a huge premium for this experience (as is/was the case in Maui at some resorts), as the prices were the same as other restaurants of similar high-end quality. As the average stay in Aruba is seven (7) nights, you must dine here at least once.

I’m sure you will venture off-campus for some dinners. Note that some of the restaurants at the nearby Ritz do not operate on some days (at least when we were there). One recommendation in the Mall District (across from the Hyatt, well within walking distance) for dinner is Daniel’s Steak and Chops.

Lastly, as a Marriott Silver Elite member, we were once again treated like Royalty:
1) Upgraded room from garden view, to partial ocean view
2) $10 a day slot machine credit
3) Free Wi-Fi access in our room
4) $50 phone credit for U.S. calls from our room
5) 10% off all restaurants on property

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Andrew H

Dear Andrew

You have given us some great feedback here, and I will be sure to share with our team. You make some great points and some wonderful compliments. Thank you for your comment on Simply Fish, as it is one of my favorite spots on the island. You really can’t beat dining with your toes in the sand. Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review, and I hope we get to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

There are so many good things to say about this hotel. As a loyal Marriott customer, I must say that I was thoroughly impressed with this property and the staff. I visited with my wife and 2 daughters for 8 nights. We were celebrating my daughter's 16th birthday while we were there. Our room was decorated with balloons and happy birthday signs! They also had fresh flowers, cheesecake & a bottle of champagne in the room with a birthday card signed by the housekeeping staff. My daughter was thrilled!!
The room was very spacious and decorated nicely. All of the restaurants and bars were great with very friendly service. We spent most of our days at the beach and the pool. We loved the swim-up bar for adult drinks and virgin pina colada's for the girls. Also thoroughly enjoyed the live band at the pool on Friday nights!
Thank you so much for a perfect 1st trip to Aruba. We will be back soon!!!!
Gary M.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gary M

Dear Gary

Our Housekeeping Manager Rhona loves decorating rooms for celebrations, so she will be thrilled to read your review. You commented on the Friday band, and I have to say that I love their music. A great way to end the week. Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review, and I hope we get to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We recently spent a week at the Marriott for our honeymoon. On arrival we were greeting by Erna at the front desk. She was one of the nicest people we have met in the industry! Not only the nicest, one of the most attentive to our needs. She welcomed us with a bottle of champagne and chocolates on our second day. Later in the week room service was there again with another bottle of champagne and cheese cake (was totally awesome too). We also got our wifi fees waved for our phones and ipad which was awesome.

Erna is the type of person that remembers your face and last name. We went down to the desk shortly after check in and she goes, "wait I know it..." Sure enough she was spot on.

The grounds at the resort are very well kept after, the adult pool is amazing!!! The beach is great as well. The cocktail wait staff on the beach is very attentive as well.

At the beach bar you will find daily drink and food specials so be sure to ask what they are daily. Happy hour is from 12-1 and then 3-5. The food is pretty good at the beach bar as well. (Quick Tip) If you have resort credit vouchers to use from a time share and they are 25.00 vouchers make sure you close your tab by 5PM or the bartender is charging it to you room. This happened to us at a few minutes after 5. They close all tabs out by 5PM so don't be late!

The rooms were very comfortable, beds were good and pillows were perfect for me. Housekeeping services were very good as well. Rooms have a mini fridge in them which is nice.

The concierge at the resort is very helpful. We used them to make all dinner reservations and also find restaurants that would be of interest to us even though we had a list from friends and family.

THE BAD
The casino at the resort is pretty terrible in my opinion. No dice table, cheap (liquor) drinks and SMOKEY as a 4 alarm fire! The casino is so smokey you will smell the smoke in the hall before you even get into the casino. I spent the first 2 nights in the casino until I went to the Ritz (next door) and gambled in their casino, which is pretty awesome!!! Marriott, you are slacking with that casino!

Timeshare presentation
We sat thru a timeshare presentation. If you decide to do the same make sure you ask what days they give 175.00 in vouchers rather than 150.00. They say it only takes about 90 minutes but long and short is you are there for about 2+ hours. It's not too bad really and you get free resort money. #Winning!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Josh T
ArubaMarriottResort, Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Josh

Thank you for your review of our resort, we do appreciate the feedback. Matt, the Hotel Manager is away from the hotel today so he is not able to personally respond to your review as he usually does. You also mentioned some points where we need to work on, and this feedback will certainly help us. Once he is back he will go through your kind comments with the team.

The Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino Team

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My family just returned from a lovely trip to Aruba. The hotel was nice as was all of the staff. I would recommend staying at this hotel as the pool area and the beach were well maintained. On friday evening they had a band play at the pool from around 4 to 6. We, and the other guests, loved this and wished they had a band every night!
When we made our reservation we were trying to decide between staying at the Marriott or the Ritz. One afternoon we walked over to the other hotel and were so happy we decided to stay at the Marriott. The Marriotts pool area is so nice and tropical feeling. Also we never had any problem finding shade around the pool if we needed it.
Really I have no complaints other than two comments. I wish there was more staff around the pool area to take drink and lunch orders. Also I wish the hotel provided a self serve water (with or with out fruit) cooler at pool.
If you stay at this hotel I recommend making a reservation at Simply Fish. We had a lovely dinner on the beach our last evening and it could not have been more amazing at sunset.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TakeMeAway09

Dear Takemeaway09

I am happy to hear that you had fun at our resort, the Friday band is certainly popular so it is nice to read your comments on this. You made a couple of good points on pool service and I will certainly review this with the team, thanks for the feedback. You also mentioned Simply Fish on the beach, which is one of my favorite spots on the island. You really can’t beat dining with your toes in the sand, priceless. Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review, and I hope we get to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

First time in Aruba and the stay was wonderful. Very clean accommodating. Extra towels at the drop of a dime and very courteous employees. Much to offer. Appreciated seeing the pool being skimmed throughout the day and vacuumed and treated at night.

Room Tip: Room with a view of the ocean=Amazing
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ani8175
ArubaMarriottResort, Manager at Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Ani8175

Thanks for taking the time to write your lovely review of our resort, it is very much appreciated. Thank you also for recognizing the team that takes care of our pools, they work hard at it and will thrilled that they got a mention on Tripadvisor. Again thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4 mi away
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!