“I made the right choice!”

Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
New York, NY
“I made the right choice!”
Reviewed 3 October 2006

My girlfriend and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Marriott. after researching this trip for about a month I wasn't sure this was the right decision. After actually going there I was more than happy with my choice.

I booked through a travel agent so my package included airport transfers in the price and a $100 food and bev. creidt from the hotel as part of a special. Upon arriving in Aruba, I was prepared to face a hefty customs procedure but it was a breeze. We proceeded to the exit where we were greeted by the Airport transfer company. I was expecting to see a run down old bus picking us up but to my surprise the bus was big, clean and very nice. Arriving at the Marriott a bellman greeted us right off the bus and took our bags to the check in desk. Someone came and offered us a drink (non alcoholic) to cool off. Check in process was a breeze. We were then escorted by our bellman with our bags directly to our room. I tried upgrading to an ocean view room but none were available at the time. Still the room was perfect. Big and very comfortable. The bathroom was big as well with a decent sized walkin closet and his/ her sinks. The room was very clean. Although not immaculately brand new, I didnt find it to be old and outdated as I read in some reviews. In fact it was very nice and very clean. The balcony was great and our room (garden view) was in a nice secluded area in the interior of the U shaped bldging with a nice view of the grounds/ pool area. You could still make out the ocean in the back. The staff there are very friendly and always smiling. One thing though they didnt seem to be very aware of where things were in the place! Maybe it was the language barrier! It was frustrating at first but it got funny over time. I would ask directions on purpose just to hear the responses! The beach was beautiful and calm. Not crowded since we went off season so there was no need to reserve a palapa. There were plenty of spots available. The weather was perfect! We enjoyed the happy hours and beachside restaurants for lunch. Breakfast i found that room service was better than the buffet offered at the hotel and it was actually cheaper. We loved the room service for breakfast on our balcony! Again, service was great! The only bad thing was that after 12am there's no room service menu. There was an area opened 24hrs but all you could get were cold sandwiches or pastries. Nothing hot. Dinners we ventured downtown to the many restaurants I heard of that got great reviews. Gasparito's was my favorite! We went to Driftwood and not Simply Fish due to recommendations. Flying Fishbone was also an option. Madame Jeanette's was good also. The restaurants are more on the pricier side but it didnt matter (about $100 for two ppl). Here's a quick tip...go on the 90 min tour. Yes it may be a timeshare pitch but after completing they give you $100 Marriott dollars ($125 was a weekend special)to use at many different restaurants on the island ...the good ones too! That came in handy for a lunch and most of a dinner for two. Also, Marriott rewards members get a discount card which entitles you to discounts whether it be a 10% - 15% percent off your bill or free wine and other offers. Best off, I didnt feel pressured by the timeshare presentation. The 1st time ever! it wasnt bad at all. Oh and I would consider buying your liquor, beer and bringing it to the room. Saves you the $8 per drink tab. I saw ppl on the beach packing coolers with their drinks. Not a bad idea!

All in all, I was worried about nothing! The hotel is the last one on the high rise strip and the adjacent property was the Ocean Club and the Surf Club which are both by Marriott! You can walk next door and enjoy the amenities there as well! I loved it here and will definitely return after a few trips to some other islands. Aruba and the Marriott were both great decisions!!!

• Liked — The beaches, room cleanliness
  • Disliked — No room service items after 12AM
  • Tips/Secrets — Try signing up for timeshare tour ($100 or 15,000 reward pts)
16 Thank Cheef45

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,705)
New Jersey
Reviewed 1 October 2006

My husband and I recently celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary and decided to return to Aruba where we enjoyed our honeymoon. Since we did not know at the time what happened to the Americana (we came to find out it is now the Occidental), we made our reservations at the Marriott Resort and Stellaris Casino.

Here are the PROs:
1. Absolutely the best pool on the strip! Just beautiful and relaxing. Nice size. The beach is equally as fabulous, especially since the Marriott is the last hotel on the strip and therefore has only one neighbor, which happens to be another Marriott property..
2. The personnel, from front desk to food servers to housekeepers to maintenance, have to be the friendliest and happiest workers we have ever met. They are sincerely interested in making your stay as comfortable and memorable as possible.
3. Since it was a special anniversary, we opted for the "Executive King" room. It was a very spacious room with a wraparound porch that had a view of the ocean on one side and the pool on the other --- absolutely beautiful. The views made the room worth every cent we paid. The King size bed was very comfortable and the bed linens lovely.
4. The Simply Fish restuarant is an absolute MUST! You can sit right on the beach and enjoy a spectacular sunset and delicous food. Very romantic as well!

The CONS:
1. While our room was spacious with spectacular views, it was very tired -- refurbishment is needed. The doors were peeling, the grout in the bathroom was in need of repair, etc. The location of the television in the room was also quite odd. It was on the side of the bed, so you had to turn your head the entire time you watched TV. If you wanted to sit up and watch TV, there were two chairs directly facing the TV, but not as comfortable as lying in bed.
2. While Simply Fish was a great restuarant, the Hotel only has two others -- one Northern Italian cuisine which was okay but expensive and the other a more casual fare which reminded me a lot of diner food. There is an eatery by the pool but I wouldn't consider it a restuarant.
3. The hotel could be a little cleaner. Lots of windows, most of them dirty.
4. There are a lot of iguanas on the premises. If you decide to eat by the pool, be prepared for visitors. My husband and I did not particularly like having the iguanas run up to us when they smelled the food -- in fact, we left before we finished eating. Some waiters were helpful in shooing them away, while others kept insisting they are part of Aruba. They were only a problem by the pool eatery.
5. The casino is very limited and should be upgraded.

We did love our trip and the "happy island of Aruba." In discussing our stay we decided that the Pros outweighed the Cons and the Marriott is worth returning to,

Stayed September 2006
20 Thank lredcapricorn
Boston, MA
Reviewed 30 September 2006

We stayed at the hotel for our honeymoon from September 19-27,2006. Our room was beautiful...the view absolutely amazing....we had an ocean, front and pool view, watched gorgeous sunsets from our very spacious balcony. The hotel staff were outstanding....from the bellmen, housekeepers, beach staff to the consierge....everyone was friendly and took pride in their jobs! Our room was always made up with plenty of amentities....the Consierge staff assisted us in picking the best restaurants on the Island and secured great tables for us. Room service was great....we ate at all the hotel restaurants, Tuscany for a gormet meal, Simply Fish for a romantic evening on the beach at La Vista for great breakfast and lunch. The Spa is top notch, my husband needed a hair cut and had a scalp treatment/massage that he is still raving about. I had a and pedicure which were wonderful, as well as one of the staff assisting me with products to help with my curley frizzy hair....her recommondation was right on the money....the facilites are beautiful and relaxing, wish we had taken more time for massage and other various treatments. The beach and pool areas are wonderful...no problems getting a palapa at the beach or spots at the pool...plenty of space and the happy hours were great! We toured so me of the other hotels and talked with people who have stayed at various hotels and it seems to be a concensus that the Marriott is the best....best beach front, biggest rooms and balconies and great staff. We are definitely booking again next year for our anniversary!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing
11 Thank rpdots
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 30 September 2006

This was our second stay at the Marriot, the first in 2001. Our room was spotless, all the furniture in perfect condition, and the bed very comfortable. Having a refrigerator rather than a mini bar was excellent. We also appreciated the safe. The service once again was perfect. We ate at LaVista 2 nights having the Italian and seafood buffets, both very nice and reasonably priced for Aruba. El Gaucho still had excellent meat. We had just a wonderful romantic meal at the Flying Fishbone. Unfortunately, my wife had a case of food poisoning 2 hours later and spent the night in the bathroom with nausea, vomiting, and diaahrea. The next day she spoke to the restaurant's manager who while denying that she could have gotten sick from thier food, credited our American express for her meal.

• Liked — large rooms
  • Disliked — there was nothing wrong
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a room as far away from the lobby/casino as possibly.
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank kod
SiN CiTy
Reviewed 27 September 2006

we booked thru expedia and opted for ocean/pool view. at first our view wasn't all that great but the staff was more than willing to accommodate us and moved us to a better room at our request with no extra charge!

When staying at the Marriott, ask for the North Tower that overlooks the ocean and pool. the higher your floor level, the MORE SPECTACULAR your view. When we moved we went from the 5th floor to the 8th floor (8th being their highest floor).

The ENTIRE staff was very friendly and accommodating... from the bell boy to the maids. They were very eager to please.

Aruba is very laid back so the ppl take their time. When going to restaurants sometimes it takes a while to get your check or 2nd round of alcoholic beverage.

Ate at the hotel's Tuscany restaurant. Delicious and romantic! A live piano player plays music while u eat ur delish dinner. I ordered the linguini with scallops, mussels, and lobster. My part ordered the spaghetti with artichokes, anchovies and shrimp and also the chicken fettucini. The chicken fettucini had crab in it and it was a bit to fishy for my taste. it wasnt your usual creamy alfredo sauce. Make sure u request for NON SMOKING becuz ppl do smoke in the restaurant (which i found disgusting). By the end of our meal, a lady at the far end of the restaurant lit a cigarette. Thank God I'd already eaten!! staff was very nice and spoke a bit of italian.

The outdoor restaurants, like the WAVES POOL BAR CAFE, will have iguanas and lizards running around. So dont be surprised if an iguana decides to join you for lunch. They're pretty harmless and i've seen a couple of people handfeed them their lunch. the staff discourages this because they have specific food for the wildlife and don't appreciate tourists feeding them junk.

Make sure to ask your cab driver the cost of the fare from your location to your destination. If you don't they'll play with the fare because they don't use meters. Their prices are set but if they think you are a gullible tourist, they'll charge you. For example, from our hotel, the Marriott to the Raddison, was suppose to be $5 but one cab driver charged us $7.

They all accept U.S. money so you don't have to worry about changing your currency.

• Liked — great staff! VERY accommodating!!
  • Disliked — everything was GREAT!
  • Tips/Secrets — stay in the NORTH TOWER facing the pool and beach view
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank maestorm
Pa
Reviewed 27 September 2006

My husband and I just celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary with three days in Aruba. This was our first trip to Aruba. It won't be our last! Got there mid-afternoon on Thursday. Checked into our room a little after 4 pm. Had room 565. Very clean and spacious and comfortable. Beautiful view of pool and ocean. After unpacking, we decided to get something to eat at LaVista. It was Italian buffet night and the food we really delicious. After dinner we went to play the slots at the casino. We arent really gamblers so we just played 20.00 each and left to have a drink around the pool area and just enjoyed the atmosphere. The next morning, I was too excited to sleep, so was up early, down to the towel hut by 8:30, expecting a long line for palapa. To my surprise, no line and still plenty of palapas to choose from. After having our lounge chairs set up, I would head back to the room to get hubby up and out of bed. We had room service for breakfast the first morning. Food was very good, and was delivered in about half an hour. Then after breakfast, we headed to our palapa. My husband is soooo not a beach person as he tends to burn very easily but we both applied lots of sunscreen and were able to enjoy the beach for most of the day. I rented a float for $5 per day and we both just floated in the beautiful, calm water for hours at a time. Had lunch at Waves Beach Bar and grill. We shared wings and fries, both very good, prices not bad. Then back to palapa for more sunning and floating. It was PARADISE! We went back to our room to shower and get ready for dinner which we had reservations for a the Flying Fishbone for a sunset beach dinner. We took a taxi (which our bellman, Roy, was always there waiting to get for us. , Such an nice gentleman), it took us a little over thirty minutes to get there and the taxi was quite pricey $25 one way. Atmosphere at the Flying Fishbone was very romantic. We had a great table and the food was pricey but very good. It was nice to experience once but wouldn't go back there again. When we got back to the hotel, we tried our luck at the casino again. I hit a couple times but nothing big. The next morning, I was up early again, got a great palapa and spend another glorious day on the beach, had lunch at Waves again, good burgers and drinks, went to pool around 2pm for an hour or so. Not croweded and had no problem getting chairs which were so comfortable! Had a drink a the pool bar. Then back to our room for showers. Had dinner that night at Amazonia. Food was good, but pricey and don't know if I should complain, but it was WAY TOO MUCH FOOD. Back to the hotel after dinner to the casino, hubby hit pretty good this time. All in all it was an absolutely wonderful trip and we both can't wait to go back. I would probably stay at the Marriott again also.

• Liked — spaciousness of rooms
  • Disliked — cant complain about anything
13 Thank LiRose518
Livermore, CA
Reviewed 26 September 2006

We went to Aruba for a week during my kids' spring break. My kids, ages 6 and 7, were able to survive the 12 hour flight and seemed to be in great spirits when we arrived in Aruba.

Pretty soon, we were on our way to our hotel, the Aruba Marriott Resort and Stellaris Casino. The reviews I read after I booked this hotel were not great so I was kind of worried especially with 2 kids in tow. Situated at the very end of the hotel line, the hotel did not seem very different from the other hotels we’ve been to. A Marriott staff immediately helped us with our baggage and welcomed us with a pink fruit drink concoction which tasted very good. Once we entered the hotel, everything changed. The hotel lobby looked grandiose. The hotel casino was not so loud as mentioned in the review I read. In fact, I thought it was a bit small. There were endless arrays of staff to help the guests with activities. There was also a bar, small café, several restaurants and pastry shop.

As we entered our room, we were immediately impressed with the view. Looking far, we could see the ocean and the beach front amidst the coconut trees. Looking down, the pool looked very inviting. With no time to waste, we immediately changed into our swim suits and headed to the pool.

The pool was a heaven for all of us. The water temperature and depth were perfect. My kids, armed with their noodles, didn’t take long to explore the whole pool and discover the pool bar. Aaah, the pool bar. The pool bar was probably my most favorite part of the hotel. It was happy hour when we got there. What perfect timing! With buy one, take one deals, we ordered 4 drinks. We were starting to love Aruba.

In the mornings, we went to all the touristy places light house, the chapel, the grotto and the national park. We went snorkeling and went to a guided snorkeling trip in one of the buried ships.
In the afternoons, we’d usually be in the pool and stay until happy hour is finished. Then we’d go to the beach, play sand castles and enjoy the sunset and then back to the pool again.
We also saw an iguana by the pool. It sort of freaked me out but the staff said they were harmless. It was just freakishly big, around 2 to 3 feet in length.

The restaurants were good but very expensive. I would recommend dining in the beach front as the view is phenomenal and the music is great. The Marriott staff was very courteous and seemed to be everywhere. They were very attentive to our needs.

Overall, I would not consider this the best hotel I have been to. Considering this is a category 7 under Marriott standards, I thought the JW Marriott in Phuket, Thailand which was Category 5 was far better. It is definitely above average compared to the other hotels I saw within the vicinity and I think Stellaris is the place to stay when you're in Aruba.

Though we all had a blast in Aruba, I would probably not go back soon as I would like to visit the other Caribbean Islands, but Aruba is really a good place to see and experience.

9 Thank Cardinal_Cruiser
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!