“Fantastic”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Nashville, Tn
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Ah Manchebo, what can I say? Your resort was as close to perfect for us as we have experienced in the Caribbean. I'm not sure why most sites have you at 3 1/2 stars as we have stayed at 4 and 4 1/2 starred places that pale in comparison! We just returned from a wonderful 8 days there and wish we were still there! If you want crowds, nonstop action, noise, parties, and getting up at 4 am to get a Palapa, this is not the place for you. If you want peaceful, relaxation, great food, friendly personable staff and a beach chair and Palapa anytime you choose to walk out the door, then this is your place. Even at full capacity its not crowded! Only what 72 rooms which was great. The staff is able to get to know everyone unlike the huge highrises. There is a casino across the street and a short cab right to any club or bar if you want to go out.

The common complaints about other resorts we heard on the plane home does NOT apply here. We heard lack of hot water, no water pressure in shower, musty smells and air conditioners not really cooling as common complaints. Not at Manchebo! The rooms are not large but comfortable and clean. Modern in appearance. Most comfortable bed I've encountered at a Caribbean resort. Super cold air conditioner. It didn't smell musty which is amazing in a beach room. The shower was fabulous with a rain shower head and another regular head. The only thing I wondered was why there wasn't a lip to keep the water from getting all over. Plenty of hot water.

The beach is stunning. Large, white sand beach with plenty of chairs and shade. Even space between so you are not all crammed together on the beach. We visited Palm beach and were so glad we went with the larger, less crowded Eagle Beach even though the water is a little rougher on Eagle Beach or at least while we were there.

The restaurants are really good.

Pega Pega: I do wish PegaPega had a few more snacky options at lunch as I'm not one to want a lot of food at lunch. Nachos, pizza or just pico and guacamole with chips would've been great. The samples with the quesadilla was really good. Thanks to the beach server for keeping us hydrated and being so nice! Thanks to Nacho and Phebus(sorry if I misspelled that) for the laughs and entertainment! The burgers are huge and enough to split with someone. :) All the ladies were wonderful as well. Sorry to those I didn't get your names.

Ike's Bistro: Our favorite for dinner. Best tomato soup ever. Wish I had the recipe to get me through the cold winter. Everything else fabulous as well. Wish I had a big plate of red snapper or filet mignon right now! Jean, Jason and the gang, thanks for the great service! As soon as the renovation is complete it will be 5 stars all the way. The food already is!

French Steakhouse is good as well! Great lobster tail and filet combo. Thanks Harold for the great service there.

We look forward to returning to Manchebo and we have never stayed at the same resort twice in the past!

Cher and Jason

1 Thank chers2031
Edgar-Manchebo, General Manager at Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for your nice review and wonderful to read you has such a fantastic time. Looks like you enjoyed all of the great amenities and services this intimate resort has to offer. See you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (737)
Alameda, California, United States
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My husband and I just got back from our stay at Manchebo. We stayed to celebrate our honeymoon. The front desk staff were so nice upon us arriving, to offer us t-shirts, a bottle of champagne and roses in our room. We had the all-inclusive plan, which in hindsight was probably not necessary because we did not use it to its capacity. I must say that the restaurants had exceptional food, although at times we felt an "icy distance" from the wait staff, probably because we had the blue wristbands and were all-inclusive. Our favorite staff was Alejandra at Pega Pega Bar-she was the only one who went out of her way to greet us with a genuine smile everyday and consistently check in with us to see if we were doing okay, for that, we tipped her well. Overall, we were so satisfied to stay on the beautiful Eagle Beach all day, every day. The rooms were okay, nothing exceptional but were kept cozy and clean. I would recommend Manchebo for others to stay at but I would not recommend the all-inclusive plan.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for sharing your comments and glad to read you had a relaxing vacation. Your comments are very much appreciated. We look forward to welcome you back in the future for some more relaxation.
Plattsburgh, New York
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Had a great time , hotel and it's employee's aim to please. Pleasant atmosphere , clean , spacious rooms, best of all located right on the beach, close to restaurants and casino? Fun fun fun, great people, can't wait to go back . Best of all I had a wonderful companion!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dfranky913
Great to read you had a wonderful time at the resort. See you back next year for some fun and relaxation.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I spent a lot of time researching places to stay in Aruba for our first trip there to celebrate our anniversary. While to property is a solid 3 stars, the people, beach and atmosphere makes this a four star property by my book. We booked a vacation package through JetBlue and included the roundtrip airport transfers via DePalm Tours and opted out of renting a car altogether as we were not familiar with the island and came to find that road signs are few and far between.

We arrived an hour early after a speedy flight from NYC and arrived at the resort by 1:30pm. Our room was not yet ready but we were greeted with cold towels and their signature mojitos to enjoy. They took our luggage and we went to their grill for some lunch.

My husband ordered the Fish Tacos, not knowing that that was what they were known for, and I ordered a Salmon sandwich. They used fresh grouper for the fish tacos and they were paired with guacamole, tomatoes, onions and a dab of tartar sauce. My salmon was a over done, but very well marinated so it was still tasteful. Most refreshing was in lieu of fries that you would expect to come with it, they served slices of fresh fruit, including, watermelon, honeydew, cantelope, and pineapple.

After finishing our lunch, our room was ready. We stayed in a Deluxe Oceanview Room and had previously requested to be on a high floor (although there are only two floors) and as far away from the restaurant/lobby as possible since we liked peace and tranquility at night. We were assigned Room #47 and the location was most ideal for us. I estimate there are no more than 100 rooms on the property and from our room at night, we could hear the waves crashing against the beach even with the air conditioner on. There was a chilled bottle of champagne to greet us, which was nice. Although there are only two floors to the resort, there are no elevators, so it is a walkup, albeit two flights and probably about 25 steps altogether. If you're not prepared to carry your luggage down when you check out, then I suggest you try to make other arrangements to stay on the ground floor or have the concierge assist you. Our room overlooked the beach and grill from our balcony. The entrance door looked onto the adjacent property of Bucati & Tara.

The room itself is no bigger than a NYC studio apt, minus a kitchen area, I'd guess it's around 250 square feet. The AC was on full blast and it worked very well against the heat of the afternoon sun. The balcony windows are very nicely tinted so you could walk around naked if you so choose and not have to worry about people being able to see in during the day. The room is equipped with a small fridge, microwave, tv, ceiling fan, safe, and robes. They provide you with two bottles of water on the first day, but thereafter you either buy water or you can refill using the tap. The tap water is just as safe to drink as NYC water, so it didn't bother us at all. We did notice that the cold water was never really cold, more of a warm, so we would make sure there was a bottle of water in the fridge at all times after we refilled it with tap so that it has time to get cold. There is a marketplace not too far from the resort at Alhambra Casino where you can get beer, wine, snacks, and water. So it's pretty convenient to stock your own fridge if you chose not to do the all inclusive (which we did not).

The bathroom was a bit odd. There is no tub but the "shower" did not have an encasement. There is a shower curtain that runs the length of the shower space, but without a ledge at the bottom, nothing stops the water from running all over the floor when you use it. There was a note that hung in there that said "project planet" where it encourages you to reuse your towels, but we found that to be near impossible as the vent to reduce the humidity when we showered was virtually useless and the floor would ultimately get wet no matter what we did, so we had to use our towels to soak it up afterwards. A note on the toiletries....they provide you with two complete sets of bar soap, shower cap, nail files/cotton swaps, shower gel, shampoo and conditioner on that first day....then there is no bar soap to be found anywhere. My husband prefers bar soap to shower gel, so it was lucky that I had brought our own. I found that to be kind of odd, but I'm sure if I'd asked, they would have provided it to us, but it's something to know if you are a bar soap user. The water pressure leaves little to be desired though. Regardless if you're using the rain shower or handheld, so be prepared ladies, if you have long hair, it's going to take a long time to get all the soap out.

The room itself looks recently updated, but I would recommend bringing slippers from home as I found the floor gritty and sandy, which the latter is understandable as we are on a beach. We didn't spend too much time in the room itself, so it wasn't a huge deal to us. The mattress and pillow were not comfortable, but to each their own. I don't think either of us got much sleep, but when you're on vacation and have a piece of heaven outside your door, you probably tend to be a bit more forgiving.

The resort itself was very quiet, and while Ike's Bistro was under construction (it was worst in the lobby area where you could hear the constant banging and drilling during the day), we could not hear any of it from our room. The pool is adjacent to the bistro so when we used the pool we could see the workers, but they didn't bother us. The pool isn't huge, but it's not very crowded either. I think over the course of the 5 days there, we saw at most 4 people at the pool at any given point and usually when we went, we were the only ones in there. The pool runs from 4 ft to 7ft deep, so for a non swimmer like me, there was a perfect "soaking" spot while my husband did laps.

When we made our way out to the beach, we were quickly greeted by someone who helped us with chairs and set them up for us in the shade under an umbrella hut. We didn't have to lift a finger. He provided us with a flag pole that indicates whether or not we needed beach service. When we chose to use it, we normally got someone's attention within 10 minutes and our food/drinks came about 20 mins thereafter. Granted, they were not very busy when we went, but the level of service was still very nice. They normally include a 15% service charge to your bill, but you can choose to tip more if you'd like.

The beach was wide, clean, and quiet. This made the resort our first choice and we are likely to return. Overall, this is a solid 3 star property, BUT the people and ambiance make it so much more. We never felt like we could not walk somewhere in our bathing suits and flip flops, which was refreshing. We had the concierge call us a cab whenever we chose to head to town or to dinner and it was really quick and simple. We even booked an excursion from the hotel through DePalm Tours that was simple and painless and so much fun! We did not use the spa or yoga classes so I cannot comment on those. This resort has no room service, so if that's something you look for, then this is not for you. If however, you're looking for a laid back, intimate experience at an affordable price, then this is it. Look no further!

They suggest leaving 3 hours for the airport since you do in fact have to clear Aruba customs as well as US Customs before boarding. However, when I tried to make arrangements for the shuttle pickup at 10am for a 1:30pm flight, they insisted we leave 4.5 hours earlier as the king and queen of Netherlands was in town and believed traffic could be problematic. I found this to be a bit absurd as the airport was literally 20 mins away from the resort and probably should have mentioned I lived in NYC where traffic was a way of life. We ended up getting to the airport 4 hours before our flight and it was so early that nobody was there to even check us in, it was empty except for us. Luckily there is a restaurant at the airport that opened early so we grabbed a bite to eat there. Next time I will insist leaving the resort later as I'm not totally convinced that they weren't trying just get us out of the room so they could clean and get in new visitors.

1 Thank tyeung612
Thank you for taking the time to write your in-depth review on your recent vacation experience. Always very helpful for potential customers and of course the resort management striving to exceed customer expectations.
Pottersville, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Spent five days at the Manchebo last week (Mid-Nov) and absolutely loved it! The best feature here is the beautiful wide beach. I kept saying, "it feels like we are in a Corona commercial." So peaceful and relaxing. Plenty of space on the beach, and beautiful aqua water that gently laps at the shoreline. I don't often swim on vacation, but went into the ocean multiple times here because it was so warm and inviting.

The big decision for Aruba travel is whether to stay in the high rise or low rise area. We were really happy with our choice of low rise, as we are a couple who was looking for peace and relaxation. To me, the high rise beaches seemed cramped and narrow, and with more emphasis on pools, bars, and hotel amenities than the beach itself. Choose the high rise area if you are looking for lots of activity, or if you have kids looking to be entertained. But choose low rise if you want more of a peaceful beach experience. We loved the laid-back beach vibe of Manchebo, and being able to roll right out of bed onto the beach.

There is a small casino across the street we visited one night (and even won a few bucks!), and there are a few shops there including a small market and a Dunkin Donuts, which we used for breakfasts. The hotel has a buffet breakfast which I ate at once, but seemed pricey at $17 per person. We enjoyed Pega Pega for lunch and beach service, but did not eat at the other two hotel restaurants. Twice we walked down the beach to Matthew's for lunch which we really enjoyed. Also walked to Pizza Bob's for a good casual meal. There are several other restaurants in walking distance, but most of the better restaurants are a cab or bus ride away. We really enjoyed Madame Janette's and Barefoot (go at sunset) for special meals.

The room itself was very nice. I would equate it to what you'd find at your standard Hilton, but with a nice little patio that looks right out on the beach (ocean view room). Everything we needed. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Spring for the ocean view. It's the reason you are there!
2 Thank msteacher1
Thank you for sharing your review. Of course I could not resist looking on YouTube for the Corona commercial hahaha. Glad you had a wonderful time and that you enjoyed the laid-back beach-vibe of our resort. We look forward to welcome you back for years to come ... with the Corona awaiting ice-cold.
Newtonville, NY
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The overall quality of this place cannot be equaled !! Best beach on the island coupled with nice, friendly hotel and very helpful, friendly staff. We checked into the Westin first and couldn't stand it. Big, giant,crowded, noisy tower with lousy views and blaring music. I asked a couple of locals to make a reccomendation and one very nice person told us about the Manchebo. I called and spoke to Vivian Frank, and she worked things out for us and we moved to the Manchebo for six great nights. Very nice rooms and, by far, the nicest beach in Aruba. In the beach restaurant, Aracelys, Ada, Diana, Fany and Alex treated us like family. The bartenders at night were also very friendly.

If you are looking to relax at a first class, beach type resort, I would strongly reccomend the Manchebo.

1 Thank Bruce H
Thank you for your great review and for recommending our resort on TripAdvisor to those looking for a great beach experience. Thank you for mentioning the many great team members that made your vacation experience a special one.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at Manchebo Beach Resort in September 2013 for 9 days. Upon arrival, we were greeted with a warm towel and drinks. Check-in was easy and we were helped to our room. They had a bottle of champagne waiting for us as well as 2 honeymooner t-shirts. (It was actually our 1-year anniversary vacation, but I think since we booked the deluxe ocean view room they assumed we were honeymooners. We thanked them and kept the champagne!). The room was clean and simple, small balcony but all we needed. The bathroom looked to be recently updated. The ocean view was nice. We didn't spend much time in the room, so it didn't need to be luxurious. There is a safe in each room. The bed was very comfortable. Only issue was the power button light on the A/C unit was very bright and sometimes kept me up at night.

Resort: It doesn't have the amentities and luxury decor of a 5 star resort. It is, however, very laidback and relaxed. I've been to 5 star resorts before that feel stuffy or like I have to be on my best behavior. We felt instantly comfortable here. You can walk around in your flip-flops, bathing suit and a cover-up almost anywhere. We did dress for dinner. We had the all-inclusive package, so we had food and drink service included. Room service is not included in the all-inclusive package, but one of the restaurants on site (Ike's Bistro, French's Steakhouse, Pega Pega Beach Lounge) is always serving food and/or drinks (at least between 7am-11pm). The all-inclusive package was worth it for us, since we planned to relax and stay at the resort for most of the trip. By eating all of our meals there and having alcoholic beverages throughout the day, it ended up being a good value. The restaurants are a little pricey, so the peace-of-mind of paying up front was worth it alone! Had we not had the all-inclusive package, we probably would have saved money by not drinking as much. Still have to eat! There are also a few food shops walking distance (and a grocery store a short cab or bus ride away) to buy food. My only issue with the restaurants was they tracked every transaction with a bill. This doesn't make sense with the all-inclusive deal and that meant we had to wait around for the bill after each drink. It also made tipping awkward. We would leave a nice tip at the end, but with that bill are we supposed to tip everytime? Confusing...

Yoga: I did morning yoga a couple times. Very relaxing way to begin the day. You can feel the breeze and hear the ocean.

Beach: It was wonderful! The sand and water was clean. The beach is quiet. We could always find an empty beach cabana. The ones closest to the water filled up first, but none were very far away. All good locations. It is a topless beach, so be respectful with pictures! Around 11am, a staff member from the Pega Pega Beach Lounge brings out flags to use for ordering drinks/food. You stick the flag up in the sand and they take your order and deliver right to the beach cabana. It's an island, so service isn't super fast. The waitress knew us well. The frozen drinks are delicious! I spoke to a few locals and they also commented that Eagle Beach/the low-rise hotels had much better beaches than the high-rise hotels. Cleaner, quieter, clearer water. We had a great view of the sunset every night. So romantic.

Pega Pega Beach Lounge: Very chill place to eat lunch outside. It's a bar-style restaurant. The bar is open all day long. We hung out there and chatted with the bartender a few nights after dinner. The fish tacos were my favorite with hot payaya sauce!

Gluten Intolerance: I have celiac disease and cannot have any gluten in my diet. I emailed the resort about 3 weeks before our trip to let them know I was coming, provided detail about what gluten is, what I can eat and what I can't eat. I received a thank you email back and that they were making preparations for my stay. I brought a gluten restaurant card in english and in spanish to share with the restaurant staff. I spoke with the restaurant managers. They were very helpful with all my meals and all of the staff knew me well! I provided dietary reminders every time I ordered and all staff did very well! They were very careful with what they served me and very patient. I didn't get sick at all! Many of the staff did have confusion between gluten and dairy. Through conversation I was able to easily clear this up.

Pool: The pool is a nice relief from the salt water and the waves in the ocean. It is small, but never crowded. Most people are on the beach and in the ocean, so I only ever shared the pool with maybe 4 other people. I usually had it all to myself. Big enough considering that the beach is the main attraction. There are also bathrooms available for use by the pool.

Spa del Sol: I got a 60 minute massage at the spa. It atmosphere was quiet and nice. The massage was good, but I've had better. If we go back, I don't think I'd get a massage again.

Car Rental: We rented a jeep and toured the island one day. The rental was quick and easy. I'd recommend it!

We had a check-out time of noon, but our flight did not leave until 4pm. Our backs were held for us behind the front desk and we were allowed to hang out at the resort and continue to use our all-inclusive perks on a few more drinks before the flight. Most relaxing vacation I've ever had. We would love to return someday!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laurel7682
Thank you very much for your in-depth trip review which is always very much appreciated. We are very happy you enjoyed our 4-star resort experience with it's laid-back and relaxing atmosphere. Great you took advantage of our beach-side yoga classes and the wonderful food of our team of chefs. See you back next year for your 2nd anniversary.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!