“Great Time”

Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Probably the best reviews I have read are pros and cons for staying at a particular property. This will be my format for this review. My wife and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary at the Riu Palace. I had always wanted to go to Aruba, she had been once, so with the parameters of sun, gambling, golf, a fabulous beach and real value for our money, we picked the Riu Palace.

Pros: Location, Location, Location. Riu Palace is in the middle of the high rise section, with great properties all around. You can walk to many other hotels and casinos. No cab fees. The beach is a mile long at this point, so your exercise is right here. The pool is hugh, clean and has more than enough chairs. The buffet has great food, wide variety and friendly staff. The booze at the pool bar is watered down but in every room is a bottle of rum, scotch, vodka and brandy. Just mix your own or bring a small plastic cup with extra in it to liven up the pool bar drinks. The staff except the female bar tenders at the pool bar were outstanding. Everyone spoke to us and treated us like old friends. No request was too small or forgotten. We had a junior suite on the tenth floor and the view was to die for. The entire pool was right before us, the whole beach to the northeast and the street was blocked by the other wing. Room was very nice and the housekeeping came everyday, fresh towels and restocked the coffee and set ups. Finally the price in comparison to the other hotels and being all inclusive was substantially better.

Cons: Not many. The bed is as hard as everyone says. The female bar tenders at the pool bar are not friendly. I solved that by asking the male bar tenders who are. The speciality resturants are not hard to get into but the food was not any better than the buffett and took a whole lot longer.

Overall: Riu met and exceeded our expectations and we felt we would stay there again, especially once we visited the rest of the hotels and saw what their guests paid versus what we paid. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher up is better. The elevators are very fast so no wait to get to the rooms, and almost every ro...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank ButlerFan
Write a ReviewReviews (6,425)

Reviewed 14 January 2012

We just got back from the Riu Palace Aruba. We spent one week at this all-inclusive resort; we are a family of three, our son is almost three years old. This is a great island, wonderful weather and people, lots of shopping and great beaches. However, the hotel is not a 5 star, although it is so rated on the website. It is perhaps a great all-inclusive option, especially if you have children or if you travel with a big group. The food was not bad, but lacked variety at times. The hotel itself is far from luxury especially the awfully decorated lobby, the old carpeted elevators, the rusty garbage cans and the chipped pool deck, the dirty rugs (do they use vacuums??), the dirty glass tops on all the side tables and consoles and the stained cushions on all chairs throughout the property. Some of the staff members are great and some need to learn how to smile. The rooms are not five star - the best rooms are in the middle tower, ocean-view, and I hear the other rooms in the "old" towers are terrible. Our room had a musty smell and we woke up stuffed up every morning. They don't clean it thouroughly, the pillows had a funny smell and we did not feel comfortable. We don't particularly like shower curtains - the showers have no light, no water pressure - they should really consider a glass shower enclosure. If you walk over to the Westin or the Hyatt, you will see what I mean. We are definitely going back, but we will not stay at this property again. We prefer to spend a little bit more and enjoy our stay fully.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
13  Thank cocaToronto
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I am not writing this review because we wanted to put down the resort or deter others from going....what we wanted to say is that we feel like RIU Resorts has lost their WHY. The reasons that helped RIU grow from a small family business to a large corporation are no longer the same. With over 100 resorts in 19 countries they are now like most other businesses around the globe, interested in only one thing - PROFIT.

Don't misunderstand I am a business person, so I get the bottom line. But I have always believed that treating customers like family (guests in your place of business) is the way you create Promoters of your services or products.

RIU resorts chooses not to treat its customers like family or friends based on the fact that they are interested in PROFIT and not the customer.

Example #1 - $1 for an old video game? I have a 9 & 8 year old who attended the Sports Bar at the resort with me for some snacks and they asked why an all inclusive resort would charge for an outdated video game. Why would RIU choose to charge for this?

Example #2 - Beer from Aruba is not imported. Do not advertise that you have imported alcohol without a disclaimer that beer is not included. Aruba beer is not good. Why would RIU choose not to have a larger selection?

Example #3 - $120 for use of a room for the shower. Our flight was delayed so we asked for the use of a room after checkout. The cost to use the room was $120. Why would RIU choose to do this?

Example #4 - We don't clean the beach on Sundays. The seaweed built up on the shore line was disgusting for the entire day. They do not clean on Sundays. Why would RIU not make this a priority?

Example #5 - We don't clean the beach at night. We arrived at night and walked to the beach to see what our stay would be like. Disgusting...cups, bottles and garbage everywhere. Why does RIU not consider how new guests will feel in their home?

Example #6 - Staff do not bring that Caribbean friendliness. I cannot imagine RIU being an organization that takes great care of its people. Why does RIU not understand that people are your business?

In each of the examples cited we believe that PROFIT is the reason RIU Resorts has chosen to bypass the customer experience.

Here is a tweet I sent as we were departing the RIU Resort with no intention of returning ever again...

"Treat your customers as guests and they will feel like they are at home. Treat your customers like $$$ signs and they will wish they were at home."

Our next trip will be to return to Beaches Resort.....

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
11  Thank OliverJanEthanElla
Reviewed 12 January 2012

The food, the beach, the hotel ... what can I say -- one of the best vacations I have had -- we had a room with a hot tub on the deck -- it was great. And the staff is beyond compare.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank SMS-IBM
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Pros: Huge pool, great weather, good food, beautiful room, fantastic island, felt safe at the resort. Great location, can walk to shops and restaurants safely and quickly.
Cons: Some uptight staff, horrible house wine, room doors hard to close

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BSilvestri
Reviewed 12 January 2012

The hotel was good I only had a few bones to pick with them. 1) the beds were rock hard, unless you like sleeping on the floor the beds were no good. 2) they do have a lot of guests there so it's understandable it's hard to cook for so many people but the food not to par. 3) the room service took about an hour to get. Those were my biggest downfalls, so other than that the hotel and location was amazing.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I'll write this review briefly but I hope I cover the main points:

1. Really good location. It's practically on the beach, and near enough restaurants and some stores (there's a mall 2 blocks away). You'll have to take the bus or walk 30 minutes to get to downtown though.

2. The food is ok, specially the restaurants they have inside the hotel. You should book early every day though, because they ran out of tables very fast. The buffet is okay too (not the one near the beach though)

3. The room is ok, but not luxurious. A little dark for my taste. There's alcohol in the room, in the pool and at every restaurant/bar. The low point I'll say it's the people that go: in one week I saw three drunk brides with there bridesmaids getting really waisted and being annoyingly loud. As loud as a woman can get.

Hope this helps you out! I'll try to upload pictures later.

Room Tip: I liked the top rooms in the main building better: they had a great view at night. It you end up in...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family