“Great place!”

Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Philadelphia
“Great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2008

We were staying at this resort for a friend's wedding and were extremely pleased with the experience. I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone.... Here's the breakdown:
Check in - very nice staff at the front desk. One tip - as with any hotel, take the cab and not the shuttle to avoid the lines. It cost us about $25 for the cab ride and was well worth it to arrive a few minutes ahead of the rush. Our room was not ready right away but we arrived prior to the check in time. It was only about a half hour though and we were able to get into our room.
Room - It was very nice. We were in building A. Both A and B are the new ones. Building A is the one with the lobby and has ocean front rooms - fabulous views! You don't want building C as it is the old building that has had little refurbishing. We simply emailed the staff the day before our arrival requesting building A or B and were accomodated! The room was extremely clean and had a lovely decor.
Housekeeping - Boy are these people enthusiastic! Housekeeping is right there first thing in the AM! If you are a late sleeper - put the do not disturb sign on your door! Otherwise - you will be awake much sooner than you would probably like! But everywhere you look - someone is cleaning something all over the hotel! Also, they leave you two large bottles of water each day as well as stocking the mini bar. Anything you asked for was accomodated!
Pool/Beach - It was a little difficult to get seating at both the pool and the beach if you are arriving in these areas at 10am or later. However, if you are patient and have a good attitude - you will be fine. Put your stuff down and get in the pool until something opens up. The beach has plenty of seats - just not a ton of umbrellas, palm awnings and such. However, these also turn over a great deal throughout the day. The pool was lovely - although a little cool but it felt nice against the warm weather. The ocean was fantastic. Very calm waters that were the prettiest shade of blue. We spent most of our day in either the pool or ocean. Bring lots of sun screen. Also - one tip is to bring a beach bag with books or something heavy to put down on your towell as it is very windy at points - but this also leaves you feeling cool all day!
Dining - the restaurants seemed a little limited menu-wise. We did not eat at these as we really didn't see the need to get up early each day for a limited menu (it's posted outside each one). The buffet was great and had a huge selection of food for all three meals of the day. However the dinner buffet was the best! The various bars were also wonderful with the best service.
Nightlife - we didn't see much to speak of - we tend to be early people at night since we are in the water most of the day. They could probably add more in this area but it really didn't matter to us.
Casino - if you are a Vegas or AC fan - then this is not a strong point. It's very small and limited but again - not a big deal. The rest of the resort truly makes up for this!
Overall - it was fantastic! The staff was great as well as the facilities! We would definitely come back here!

• Liked — Relaxing atmosphere with sun and water
  • Disliked — none
16 Thank travelgirlKW

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,251)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2008

We were at the Riu Palace Jan 19 to Jan 25. I would be hard pressed to find anything to complain about other then the lack of entertainment at night.
We took the bus from the airport which didn't take much time at all to get us to the hotel. Once there our check in was quick and painless.
We stayed in a beautifully appointed oceanview suite. The room was huge with a large walk in closet, a true king size bed, a lovely double jacuzzi which seperated the bedroom from the bathroom. The oversize seperate shower was a wonderful touch. The balcony was a double juliette type with lots of room to sit or lay on lounge chairs if so desired. Aproximately 1 hour after arriving and unpacking we had a call from the front desk just to insure we were satisfied with our accommodations. NIce touch.
The pool area was great lots of lounge chairs and always someone coming around to serve drinks. We found it clean and the staff were fabulous. The swim up bar was always busy which makes for lots of fun talking to different people etc. The towel exchange programe down by the pool worked well no problem at any time getting fresh towels duriing the day.
The huts on the beach were always inuse by the time we made it down but with the wind neither of us cared to sit on the beach anyway. Being sand blasted is not our idea of fun. It is Aruba and the wind is stronge no matter where you are on the island. Without the winds I am sure it would be miserably hot. We just walked to the beach from the pool for a swim in the ocean when we so desired . Again a nice touch not far away and a shower to rinse the sand off once you entered the pool area.
The food was always fresh and plenty of varity to keep even the pickiest of eaters happy I would think. Neither of us were into standing in line to book for the dinner but we did luck out 1 day and got a reservation for the Natilus steak house. The dinner was delicious although the service left a lot to be desired. That said it had nothing to do with the staff working but with management not providing enough staff to handle the amount of the tables to be served. The buffets were wonderful plenty of staff working . We were offered wine with our dinners or we could order a mixed drink if we chose too. All in all we had no complaints about the food.
The entertainment was pretty much non exsistent. They have 3 different shows in the evenings through the week we saw 1 and it was well pretty sad to say the least. They do although have a 3 piece band in the bar every night which was nice for dancing.
During the day they had bingo and water arobics in the pool but that was it. The lack of entertainment was not a big deal for us anyway.
We did the ATV tour. I would highly recommend this. I had never been on one so i ride shot gun with my husband and loved the ride. To see the vast difference between the 2 sides of the island is a must do. We had plenty of stops for drinks ( water and pop).
The scenery is breathtaking and plenty of time for picture taking.
When we arrived at the natural bridge there was a small place where you could have a beer etc and about a half hour stop over enough time to walk around and enjoy the sights. The ride up the mountain was a bit rough but again well worth it what a fabulous view to behold.
We went to the Havana dinner and show at the Westin one night.
The food was good the show wonderful the service and prices were unbelievable. My husband stood at the bar for aproximately 20 mins before the bar tender who was doing nothing finally served him. For and half can of beer and a glass of wine it cost $19. There is gouging and then there is robbery! Needless to say we did not order anything else to drink. The show was very well done throughly enjoyed it. The hotel well lets just say we were happy to walk back at the end of the evening to the friendly staff at the Riu!
We also did the De Palma Island boat and snorkle tour. It was about 5 hrs long and hour each way on the boat. An open bar on the boat and once on the island an open bar and 2 different resturants to chose from all included with the price. The snorkling was awesome lost of fish and coral to view. I had never been snorkling so I found it very very cool to see. I think if we were to do a snorkle tour again down there we would instead take a boat tour and skip the island. It is nice but busy and tons of children around. Since it was my first time it was the perfect chose for us. Again the staff friendly and helpful.
We went out for dinner only once to Le Dome. The food was terrible. The prices high for the calibur of food . The lobster was like rubber extremely disappointing. Oh well win some lose some.
Last but not least the casino! I had read in a review someone noticed no one was winning at the slots. I beg to differ as my husband won $3000.00 on a dollar slot! I myself won everyday on the nickel machine. We ended up coming home with a big roll of American money . I guess once you have a big win you can drink for free as from that point on everytime we entered someone was over asking us what we would like to drink. I suppose they wanted all that money back lol... We really aren't gamblers so to speak so that money came right back home with us! Yippe !!!!!!!!!!
The shopping downtown wow wow wow amazing!!! Lots to do lots to see and plenty of resturants :):):):):):) The jewerly stores wow!!!!!
All in all we loved our vacation and would highly recommend the Riu Palace Aruba!
If you are Canadian and flying down Skyservice well try to block that part of your trip out :( They should rename it Hell Airlines with a motto something like this... anything we can do to make your flight down uncomfortable fly with us! Oh well it can't perfect at least the plane didn't loose power until we had landed in Toronto!
30 mins of darkness waiting to de board while they worked on getting power back made us realize our vacation had come to and end.....

• Liked — pretty much everything
  • Disliked — the entertainment
17 Thank tripsrus2
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2008

I must say that reading the reviews on tripadivisor prior to my stay here had me a bit concerned. But all of those concerns went away when my family and I arrived at the hotel. My wife, me, and our 2 year old stayed here from Jan. 21st-26thThe place is amazing and beautiful. Let me start my saying my wife and have stayed at 4 and 5 stars in Jamaica Grand Lido Negril), Mexico (Riu Palace Playa Del Carmen), and Dominican Republic (Iberostar Bavaro), so we have a pretty good selection to compare this place to. And the Riu aruba was the nicest of all of the resorts I mentioned. The Junior suites are large and brand new. The baths are large and very nice as well.

Let me start with all of the good things about the resort:

The food was very good at the buffet for each meal. There was plenty of selection to choose from, but just like any other buffet you get a little tired of it after a few days. But that happens everywhere. We ate at two of th specialty restaurants; Krystal and the Japanese restaurant. We found the food to be quite good at both of them and we can be pretty picky eaters. Alhough we did not eat at the Italian restaurant, we heard people raving about how good it was all week long. The wait staff were also very accomodating.

As I mentioned previously, the room are very spacious and new. Even though, I did not go into building C (the old building), I heasrd more than one person say that the rooms have not been updated and are not asnice as the new towers (buildings A & B).

The beach is great and the Riu probablhy has the largest beach area of any of the resorts on Palm Beach. Sometimes it was difficult to find a Palapa (hut) after 8am, but by Noon there were usually plenty of them open as people left for lunch.

Now for the negatives, which there aren't many of:

- It was a little annoying waiting on line in the morning to make a reservation for one of the specialty restaurants for that night's dinner. But it never took longer than 15 minutes of waiting and if you got in line at 9 am you had to problem getting a table in the place you wanted.

- As other reviews have mentioned, the beds are rock hard and the king is really two twins pushed together but made up separately. Howver, this did not stop my wife and I from getting a decent nights sleep any night were were there. Besides we had our two year old with us so we weren't too concerned about whether we had a king size bed or not, if you know what I mean.

Overall, I would recommend this place to anyone. If you are expecting the Four Season or Ritz Carlton, then you will be disappointed. But if you expect a very nice 4 star resort with plenty to offer, then this place will not dissappoint.

I got very frustrated at times during the week with some of the complaints I was hearing from some guests (and you guessed it, they were all Americans) Here are some of the complaints I heard while I was there:

- The buffet was not luxurious enough. What does that even mean? Are you serious? How do you make a buffet luxurious? Buffets are not luxurious, that's part of it being a buffet!

- The rooms were nice but someone would have chosen a color scheme. The rooms are white, so what's the problem with the scheme? There isn't one

- The bars were not open at 7 in the morning. The person who had this complaint may need an intervention of some sort. If you need a drink that badly that early in the morning, you might want to talk with someone.

I say all of this because these are some of the folks who are writitng reviews on trip advisor. So any negatives you read, please take them with a grain of salt. Have no worries, and come on to the Riu and expect to have a blast.

• Liked — Newness of rooms
  • Disliked — Waiting in line for reservations to specialty restaurants
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
18 Thank WebBrown
Dania Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2008

My husband and I were at the Riu Palace from January 16-23rd. We had been to the Riu Tropical Bay in Negril last year-and he was crazy about Riu Hotels! We took the DePalm tour bus from the airport, our hotel was the second stop. Downtown traffic would also have held up a cab, so it really didn’t take very long. We got in at about 1:30 pm, and of course, our room wasn’t ready. I said to the guy at the desk, who along with all the desk people-couldn’t have been nicer-“I want a room with a sit out on balcony”. He told me not to worry-I would have one. We went downstairs to grab lunch from the lavish lunch buffet. Then I went down to the beach, ‘cause I couldn’t wait to get my feet in the water, while hubby checked the place out. We went back up to the desk in about an hour, and were given Room 411 in the main building. I did not pay the extra price on booking the trip for an Oceanview room, but we looked directly into it-over the pool. The room was huge! Two HARD (which I knew was gonna be) double beds pushed together, but made up separately, a giant bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub and a fabulous pressure shower, and double sinks, and down two steps , a lovely sitting area with a sofa and chairs, out to a balcony which held two chairs and a table, walled off from the neighboring room. Needless to say-we were quite impressed! From what I understand, the building with the French balconies on the right side facing the beach, are the time share people. That building also houses the gym, spa and towel place.
We are beach people. We never had a problem getting chairs at the beach daily. Yes, somehow all the palapas were taken first thing in the morning. Well, there were towels on the chairs under them. About 70% of them never had people in them all day.
Last year, I felt I had found my perfect beach in Negril. This is nothing against the resort- but by the second day I was so disgusted with the wind and the sand blowing on me 24/7, I couldn’t take laying on the beach any more. I imagine a lot of people felt the same, because by 2 pm, the beach was usually empty. I’d try to lay on the chair reading, and the sand would be pelting me. It hurt! I’d look like Mr. sandman going into the water. The sand even blew at you in the water. It was unreal. I didn’t remember it being like that 10 years ago-I think I appreciated the breeze then! Again-this was Aruba-nothing the Riu could have done. But the sunsets…Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Water sports were not free. Usually, hotels have windsurfing, sunfish and kayaks free. There was a pier next to the hotel with whatever you wanted to do-boat trips, water skiing, parasailing, jet ski ,scuba, etc. We didn’t use any of this.
The pool was fabulous. Huge-never run into people or kids swimming around. The swim up bar was great-bartenders very attentive. We drank a lot of Blue Corals and Miami Vices. Yummmm! Large and small groups of people were always gathered by the pool bar in the water. There were cement lounge chairs right in the water to lay on for reading or relaxing, and little tables with stools to sit it while having a drink. And a separate up top pool for whatever reason! The Jacuzzi felt good, but was the same water temperature. There was a very small child’s pool close to the time share building.
My husband went to book dinner three times. Twice he was there late, but had no trouble, and once he was second in line. We rented a car from Thrifty car Rentals in the lobby, and booked the Atlantis Submarine Adventure from Marina in the lobby. We rented a Jeep, rather than follow the Jeep tour, and had the car for 24 hrs. for about $120 including insurance. We had a great time driving the rocky beaches, to the lighthouse, the Church, the natural Bridge, and to Baby Beach. We also had the car the next morning to get us in town for the Submarine trip. Usually we go snorkeling to see all the underwater life, but hubby was feeling lazy. The view was wonderful-trip lasted about 2 hrs.
I like all – inclusives because I like “stuff” going on all the time. Every other resort we have gone to has hourly Bingo, volleyball, beach soccer, beach aerobics, dance contests, cooking demonstrations, and entertainment all evening. The Riu in Jamaica had activities going on all the time. This hotel had Bingo at 3 pm. Three nights they had a show. The first one The Salsa show-I had to leave after about 4 numbers that were all alike. One night they had the International Show, which we came in at the end-looked like the Mummers Parade! Don’t think we made it to the third one. Several nights in the lounge, there was a three piece band from 8-11. They were very personable and entertaining. Two nights we walked about 5 minutes down the street and went to The Sopranos Piano Bar. Nice fun place with a nice crowd having a good time! We felt safe walking the streets late at night to get there.
Sunday was the big football games. It was a lot of fun watching people from all over, wearing their team shirts rooting for their favorite teams in the Sports Bar. The sports bar is right off the main bar off the lobby-so don’t miss it. You could get munchies there all day.
The Restaurants: We did not go to the Japanese one because nothing appealed to us from their menu. and they did not hibachi cook at tableside. We also didn’t go to the Gourmet one, as nothing on their menu we liked. We are not into gourmet food with fancy sauces, but I am sure it was lovely. We went to the Nautilus one night and had twin lobster tails and a filet, which we didn’t get charged any extra for- I was shocked, but pleased! Our appetizers automatically were a chicken Caesar salad and a plate of cold seafood appetizers-crab legs, shrimp, mussels, etc. We did go to the Italian place twice. One night I had the seafood in a white alfredo type sauce, and one night the shrimp and risotto-both excellent! They had a cold and hot antipasto bar first-and there was seafood over red sauced linguini to die for! Also a great lasagna, and pretty much everything to fill up on was yummy! The Don Nicholas buffet had an assortment of foods every night. Hubby usually hit the pasta bar, and one night I grabbed shrimp from the seafood side, and the girl at the pasta bar added some mussels, a lot of garlic and sautéed it all up for me with rigatoni-like I had died and gone to heaven! Huge salad bars, fresh fruits, meats, fishes, anything and everything-didn’t have one thing we didn’t enjoy. Lunches, the same thing -plenty to choose from. The breakfast buffet-whatever you needed-omelet station, fresh fruits, veggies, anything…it was there! Nobody could possibly complain!! Well, maybe about the coffee LOL. But we discovered you could ask for cappuccino-much better for after dinner with dessert!
My husband treated me to a massage at the spa. Ruth gave an incredible deep tissue massage! Prices a bit steep-$120 for 50 minutes-but -hey-you;re on vacation!
The employees, despite the fact none could understand or speak English, were all very nice. My major complaint was that at meals, in the buffet or the special restaurants, you could not get a cocktail. They had all kinds of wine, Aruban beer and pepsi products. We always had to stop at the lobby bar and pick up a drink to take with us to dinner. We had never encountered this at any other resorts. That, along with the lack of entertainment, and the nasty sand blowing winds will pretty much guarantee my not coming back to Aruba for a while.

• Liked — Huge rooms
  • Disliked — Hard as a rock beds
13 Thank eshanks
newmarket
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2008

I stayed at the Riu Palace from October 14th to October 21, 2007. It looks like you can see the ocean from all the rooms. I found the food was excellent but the drinks could be better. The room we had was clean and large. The maid service was great. I tried all the restaurants (Japanese, Italian, Steak house and Buffet and have no complaints.

Our only problem was either the door would not lock or we couldn't open the door to our room. We had to wait about 1 hour for them to fix it. This happened twice. Finally on the third day they got it fixed properly.

Also, most of the time the beach was really good but there are times when the sand blows constantly all over you all day. You have sand in your hair, mouth, bathing suit etc.

Aside from a few minor things that went wrong, I would definitely go back to this resort and recommend it to my clients and friends.

• Liked — room was large and clean. Great big balcony
  • Disliked — The rooms door kept messing up. Couldn't lock it or open it.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank fernsweets
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2008

Riu Palace Aruba was amazing! We stayed from December 21-December 28. We have also been to Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and Riu Cancun in Cancun, Mexico. This was our favourite. The staff couldn't be more friendly. It wasn't like Mexico where you had to worry about the food and water. In Aruba, you could drink the water from the tap and eat the food! This was our first time in Aruba. We loved it! It always had a little breeze which was so nice. At the hotel there are 3 buildings. Building A and B had 10 floors and Building C had 8 floors. I was in building B on the ninth floor. Building A is the main building. In Building A and B all the rooms have partial views if you are not on floor 9 or 10. However, Building C was terrible. All the rooms had partial views. When they were building the hotel building C was already there. It was the Grand Aruba hotel. Then, it closed. The inside of it is hideos! There are stains on the carpets, it smells and it looks gross. They only did somthing to the outside. If you looked at a picture of the hotel you would think all of the buildings were the same. Remember, there not. At Riu Palace Aruba there were lots of children. The hotel was nice and clean. Like I said before, the staff could not be more friendly. The only thing I did not like about this hotel was the Japenese Restaurant. The food was terrible and there was nothing for the kids to eat. I would recomend this hotel for couples, honeymoons, vacations and just about any vacation. If you are looking for a beautifal vacation in Aruba, Riu Palace Aruba is for you. For more information go to: http://www.riu.com/en/hotel-riu-palace-aruba-palm-beach.html

• Liked — I can't decide!
  • Disliked — The Japenease Restaurant
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
10 Thank 1234j
Rye, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2008

Our family of 4, including 2 teenagers, spent 7 days at the Riu Palace Aruba. We loved the island of Aruba, but we would not choose the Riu for our next trip. There are better, more centrally located hotels to choose from in Aruba. Vacations are designed for relaxing. Unfortunately, staying at the Riu is not.

Negative #1 There are no beach attendants.
If you want to sit under a cabana, you have to get to the beach by 7:30am, even during a non-holiday week, which was surprising . Then you must scale a 7-8 feet tall stack of beach chairs to get your own chairs down and drag them across the sand to a cabana. And this is all before your first cup of coffee.

Negative # 2 Dinner reservations.
We always book all-inclusive hotels and were very disappointed in the Riu's policies. Each day, you must get down to the lobby by 8:45am or so to get on the line for dinner sign up. At the Riu, you must sign up in person, each and every day. You cannot phone the concierge for a reservation (there is no concierge) or book dinner reservations for your entire stay at once. You only have a 3 hour window to do this each day, from 9am to 12pm. If you forget or arrive after 12pm, you must go to the buffet. In truth, the food at the Riu isn't all that good. We went to local restaurants a few times just so we could order from a menu that offered more than 3 choices.

On the positive side, the staff was very nice and helpful. They did put egg crate pads on our mattresses so they were more comfortable to sleep on. The pool area is beautiful and clean and not too crowded.

Stayed January 2008
5 Thank travelgirlRye_NY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,309 reviews
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,600 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,372 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!