“Fantastic!”

Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Newmarket, Canada
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

My husband and I stayed for one week from October 1st to October 8th.

Accommodations:
We stayed in a “super-saver” room which originally concerned me; however, our room was bright, clean and spacious. The only down side was that it backed onto the loading dock at the Westin next door. This was not an issue since we were only in our room to sleep. I would say that it was worth the savings we received.

Beach:
Fantastic, clear, warm water! The beach area was clean and there were always loungers to sit in. There is a limited amount of shade compliments to the guests that get up early, tie their towel to a chair and never return for the day. It was very tempting to just toss the towels to the side and take over the shaded areas.

Pool:
The pool could have used some cleaning. There was some “mystery foam” in a few places and some of the tiles on the stairs had fallen off and never been replaced, but we still enjoyed it. Again, loungers were never an issue and the one day that there were no seats in the shade the staff were more then willing to drag chairs over to the shade for us. The pool-side service was non-existent. I did not mind getting up to get my own beverages but not once in the week that we were there was I asked if I wanted a beverage.

Buffet:
Repetitive – as with most resorts but never a lack of items to choose from. There were different items added each day but normally just a variation of something you had the day before - with the exception of a different meat at the carving station each evening. The staff in the buffet were friendly and quick to get you anything that you would like. It was clean and obvious that the cooks took pride in what they served.

Reservations:
Reservations had to be made the day that you planned to dine, which was a hassle if you had any excursions planned since you normally left the resort at 8:30 for your day trip and reservations could not be made until 9:00. There was always a massive line full of frustrated vacationers that obviously had better things to do. This was very annoying and I would say one of my only complaints about this resort.

Dining:
We ate at the Krystal twice because it was so good!! Once we went without a reservation, we were asked us to wait 15 minutes to make sure someone with a reservation was not coming. Dinner was served quickly and adjustments to the menu were made when requested. The Japanese restaurant was not really my taste (not just here but any where) but my husband loved it! The resort really try’s hard to make things as authentic as possible and it is noticeable. The only other restaurant we dined at was the steak house – big disappointment!! The steak in Krystal was much better. The seafood was very watery and the corn on the cob was so over cooked that you didn’t even have to chew it before swallowing. I tried my best to eat everything to not offend the cooks but I couldn’t do it. Also, the desserts at each restaurant were….unappetizing.

Entertainment:
The bar area where the evening entertainment took place was way too small for the number of guests. We tried to get into the evening shows but they just didn’t capture us at all. The day-time pool-side entertainment was dull as well and more annoying then anything. The staff in charge lacked energy and looked painfully obligated to interact with everyone. The same compilation of music played over and over again all week. If you like Usher you are in luck!
I am not being negative, this is still a great place but as with every resort there are a few things that could use improvement BUT it is so beautiful there that you don’t really need the staff to entertain you anyway!

Excursions:
We went on the “Jolly Pirates” morning snorkeling trip. It was fantastic!! There were three stops, one was to the German Ship wreck “Antilla” – very neat!! This scooner also had a rope swing that you could jump off of the ship from – very fun! I do think if we could go back we would go on the De-Palm tours catamaran instead (I believe this to be the correct name). It looked larger and more spacious.
We also went out on the “ATV Extravaganza”…by far the best part of our trip!!!! You drive your own ATV to the natural pool and the now collapsed-natural bridge. This was just an amazing way of viewing the island and areas that you normally would not see. The cost was very reasonable ($120 for two people) but I will caution any of you considering this adventure to use a different company then “ATV Extravaganza”. Our guide was fantastic but even he complained about the quality of the equipment. Our ATV was held together by plastic ties. It stalled several times and when the guide tried to start it again a piece actually fell off. We ended up driving this thing with a wrench holding a piece of the machine on. The others in our group had similar issue to the point where we actually left one machine on the side of the road. By the end of our trip our poor guide was drenched in sweat, burnt from oil spewing out of one of the machines and frustrated at having to stop every ten minutes to tend to a broken ATV. If we go back..or when we go back, I would do this adventure again in a heart beat..with another company!

Overall:
Fantastic place! Clean, friendly, great weather, good drink and food. This was the best trip my husband and I have been on so far. My husband actually suggested that we no longer travel to different places in the Caribbean as he would prefer to just revisit the Riu Palace Aruba each year. We will be back!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Pam D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,260)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
East Meadow, New York
Reviewed 9 October 2012

This was just the most amazing spot for our honeymoon. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this hotel and my experience.

We were greeted with cocktails, and there is a complimentary drink station in the room.

Food was good, not great, but we did go off-resort for a few nice meals. The people here are so friendly and really go out of their way to make it an amazing experience.

The swim-up bar was our favorite place to stay.

Security at the resort is excellent, anyone not wearing a bracelet is stopped and not allowed entrance.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheLadyJ
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Now home, after our recent stay at The Riu Palace on Palm Beach, Aruba, I have to say every morning when I pull up my blind, I wish I was back there soaking up the sun in the amazing climate. The hotel was of a very high standard, the staff were very friendly and the food absolutely delicious. I fail to see how anyone could not fnd something they like to eat and enjoy. Their buffet was incredible, offering so many choices. All served with wine or dinks of your choice.The hotel also offers other dining options in their restaurants, equally great food but with a more exquisit style. The pool was brilliant with a swim up pool bar frequented by us regularly (to quench our thirst in the heat, you understand!!) Pina colada and Dirty Monkey to name but two. The beach was talcom powder white sand, with large palm trees offering shade, the sea was warm and pleasant to bathe in. There is a constant breeze, but to be honest although annoying on occasions, it was very welcomed, otherwise it would be just to hot to lounge in for me. We stayed in a Junior suite on the 9th floor with magnificent views of the pool, beach and miles beyond. The room was of a considerable size, with a 9' bed (two 4'6") locked together. A lounge area with table/chairs coffee table and a settee. A spacious bathroom with twin basins and powerful bath/shower. There was a fridge filled to brim with sodas, water and canned beers to complement the optics of Brandy, Whiskey, Rum and Vodka along with a coffee perculator for a fresh brew. Room service could be called for a tray of tea if required. There was a reasonable size balcony with table and chairs and small washing rack. Barry's bar was a pleasant el fresco bar, where we enjoyed a pre-dinner drink, with peanuts aperitif. There was entertainment in the main bar most evenings which is left to ones own choice. We saw several weddings take place on the beach and the hotel was frequented by several honeymoon couples. Pool towels were supplied from the little hut by the pool, which could also be taken onto the beach. There were adequate sun-beds around the pool and on the beach, however, many were reserved at dawn, by the avid sun worshipers. But we never encountered any problems getting a sun bed at a more respectable time. We have stayed at a Riu Palace in Cape Verde but this is our favourite. We thoroughly recommend!!!!

Room Tip: Go Junior suite, higher levels for amazing views.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Denise321935
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We have just got back from riu palace our room was a disgrace all we can say is avoid c block!!! whilst the hotel was beautiful our room was not. we couldnt use the draws they were falling out the bath had a very shoddy repair job done on it & no plug! We complained also that the hairdryer had broke & after 3 days of phoning reception it was along with the bath plug replaced.There was sockets hanging off the walls & very dodgy light fitting. Whilst the bed & towels were spotless the rest of the room was not very clean.We were led 2 believe it was suitable for people with walking problems but with a steep ramp & only one lift working for 8 floors it was a nightmare. we were offered a room on a lower floor but we still had 2 cope with the ramp & lift.however aruba is a stunning island we would certainly go back but not in c block. we found the food was amazing[ except for the fish overcooked]

Room Tip: upgrade to a junior suite
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
bedfordshire
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Just back from a week at this lovely hotel, shame didnt have anymore holiday else would have liked 2 weeks. Fly from Gatwick on a First Choice plane, this had plenty of room and was a good flight. Had an easy 20 minute journey by coach from airport and greated with a cocktail on arrival and given our key to our room straight away. We were in C block and our room had been updated, lovely big room, nice bed, nice bathroom with walk in wardrobe, the only thing on block C is they have french balconies and you are only able to stand on these, no rooms for chairs but its dark by 6.30 so probably wouldnt have sat outside anyway.

The hotel is beautiful, very clean, all staff friendly. Restaurant buffet was fantastic, so much choice at every meal, can not fault it at all, only ate in one of the others restaurants, this was also good but preferred to chose from buffet nightly, lovely cuts of meat, fish, all veg, salads etc., cooking station too.

Hotel had a lovely pool which wasnt cold with a lovely swim up bar, this was lovely area. Hotel right on the beach and the beach is lovely and white. The only problem is if you want to go on beach and want an umbrella you need to be there by 6am as they go quickly and we did notice some people putting their towels around them at 5.30 the night before, I do think this should be stopped as its not their place for the whole holiday, give everybody a chance, we didnt have a problem as we were awake and done ours at 6am on the days we wanted the beach.

There is a 24 hour bar and eating place so never go hungry or thirstly, also have optics in the bedrooms.

I would definately recommend this hotel and Im sure I will be back, I do love the Riu chain and never had a problem.

It is safe to walk about outside the hotel day and evenings and some nice places close by to visit too.

Go and enjoy it, ignore the negative reviews, this is a great hotel and a fab Country.

Room Tip: Obviously the higher the room the better the view, but im sure they are all lovely. We only had the...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chelseabeds
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I don't get all the bad reviews!!! I don't think I will go anywhere else after coming here! Worth every penny. I can't wait to come back next year. Great food and a wonderful staff. Perfect pool and Beach. I can only guess on the bad reviews is those people are stuck up lame people that probley think the world should handed to them on a silver platter. See you next year. Aruba!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Brentmar0
Borgloon, BELGIUM
Reviewed 8 October 2012 via mobile

Review based on 3 visits of 16 days since 2008, last stay October 2012.

Hotel: classified 5 star, all inclusive resort, 2007.

Location: Palm Beach, beautiful white beaches with blue water. Riu Palace is located 20 minutes from Oranjestad (capital) by bus, busstop near hotel, price approx 1,60$ one way. Taxi's also available. Airport an additional 5 minutes.

Facilities: large fresh water pool with pool bar and sunbeds/parasols. Riu club for the kids. Health club (massages and spa treatments). 5 restaurants, 1 main buffet style, 4 a la carte. Large stretch of beach, one of largest compared to nearby hotels, with cabanas and sunbeds. All complimentary. Casino. Beach/pool, lobby, outside and sport bar. Theatre. Parking free of charge for guests. Beach towels, one per person. Wifi for free in lobby. Small shop also in lobby.

Restaurants: main Don Nicolas, buffet style for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A la carte: Italian (Milano), Japanese (Sayuri), International (Krystal) and steak restaurant. The steak restaurant Nautilus, located close to beach and pool, serves also lunch, plus snacks after lunch time. Quality good for all of them, buffet restaurant has themes every night. A la carte restaurants have 2 seatings, 6.30 and 9 pm. Reservations to be done in morning (from 9 to 12) in lobby at the Customer Service desk for the evening on that day only. Sometimes one needs to queue, especially at 9 am when everybody wants a specific seating for a specific restaurant. But it goes rather fast, otherwise go later and be flexible in your choice.
Clothing for dinner for the main restaurant, shorts and also slippers allowed. Polo or tshirts with sleeves. No sleeves, no entry. For the a la carte, long trousers required, no shorts.
During daytime, no dress code, except women are requested not to appear only in bikini, also men are requested to wear a tshirt. Or something to cover the top part of the body.
This also applies when going for an aperitif at one of the bars in the evening, decent dress code required.

Bars: pool and beach bar open until 6 pm, serves all cocktails, beer and alcoholic drinks. Local and international brands. Use of soft plastic cups, which is better than the hard plastic ones they used before which weren't always either hygienic or appeared to be because of intensive use/washing or sometimes not washed thoroughly.
Lobby bar near stage of theatre, sport bar (inside) whith snacks throughout the whole day, Barry's outside bar which opens only from 7 pm.
Drinks are served here in glasses, obviously not to be taken to the pool or beach side.

Beach: very wide and long beach which is comfortable to keep some space from other people. (Better in comparison with other hotels nearby). No reservation system for cabanas, "first come, first get" principle. One needs to be the latest at 7-7.15 am to reserve one by putting sunbeds and towels under the cabana. Sunbeds more than enough. Also palm trees provide some shade if not lucky to have your own cabana.
Sea is beautiful, calm, no pebbles, rocks or shells in the water. 30C/86F. Nice and easy slope, ideal water for the kids.
Sand is beautifully white. Some cleaning advisable since one will find quite a lot of cigarettes and other trash in it. Not disturbing yet though.
Watersports are close by, not organised by hotel, so not ín all inclusive package. For divers, Unique Sports Aruba, near the hotel is recommended, with daily program and their boat departing from the Palm pier next to the hotel.

Pool: also here people are reserving sunbeds for their favourite spot by the pool at that same time. Nice, large fresh water pool with activities throughout the day. Same water temperature.

Rooms: typical Riu style, midsized for all types (standard, junior suites or suites). Balconies/ terraces. Frontal/ lateral seaview. Airconditioning. Safe. Iron. Hairdryer. Room service 24 hrs. Fridge with beer, soft drinks, water. In the room also liquor dispensers for Wodka, Whisky, Rum and Brandy, international brands. This is part of the all inclusive package and refilled every day. Ice machines are also available. Matrasses are rather hard, personal feeling obviously, possibility to get a soft top to overcome partly this feeling.

Theatre: shows every night or theme nights like typical 'karaoke', 'ideal couple', ...

Casino: slot machines and all table games as you find in every casino. Bar, drinks to be paid, not part of the all inclusive package.

Generally: very good all inclusive hotel at a very nice location with good food and very good service. Hotel definitely to be recommended, which is generally a comment one hears from other guests. As mentioned in other reviews, the attack to the sunbeds and cabana's is an issue, but the solution? The beach could use some cleaning and definitely personnel of the pool bar need to control their guests a bit more to keep the pool water clean. Cups, cigars sometimes floating in the water, not to mention that sometimes cocktails completely end up in the pool.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank PapaBravoo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,384 reviews
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,642 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
#1 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,395 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!