“Depends on who you asks..”

Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Depends on who you asks..”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I know that each person experience things differently but I must say I'm very disappointed with this 5 star hotel. I just arrived home on yesterday after spending a week from 5/21-5/27. The hotel appearance will make you feel like your a king/queen in a castle but it's very misleading. I happened to stay in room 325 and there were quite a few issues such as the molded furniture (couch), stained chairs, mold on the ceiling in the bathroom. We notified the hotel about furniture and all they did was attempt to clean the couch but I guess that wasn't successful since they just cover up the couch instead of replacing the couch. They did nothing about the stained chairs. Also, the bed was hard as a brick. As for the food, it wasn't that great. I had better food outside the hotel. I will say that the service staff is at it's best. The location of hotel is great and it's right off the beach. The pool is awesome. Overall, this hotel needs to update the furniture in the rooms and make the food more tasteful. I plan on going back to Aruba but I would prefer to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank mssan9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Never stayed at an all-inclusive hotel and didn't know what to expect! First, if you want to always have good weather then head to Aruba. The RIU was great. Accommodations were great with friendly staff. Pool and beach were amazing. When they say everything is included they mean it and they provided transportation to and from the airport.( we tipped here ). There were four restaurants to choose from, you must make reservations in the morning before 11 am. Only ate in 3 due to the length of my stay but each one had outstanding food. The serve yourself restaurant's food was also top notch. I would stay there again. Try it!!!!!

Room Tip: We had a junior suite facing pool with an ocean view with balcony. Large room with step down sitting...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MaryAnne O
derby
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just arrived home after 2 fantastic weeks at the Riu Palace in Aruba, was very reluctant after reading the reviews but really am finding anything negative to say about this holiday.
We were on a Thomson package flying the first Dreamliner to Aruba which was amazing ! Transfer to the hotel takes about 15 minutes with everyone getting a beach bag full of money off vouchers and information about Aruba.The check in was quick and simple dividing people into groups depending on their surnames this took about 10 minutes while drinking a refreshing fruity cocktail and we then we were on the way to our room.
Initially we were put on the first floor in the block over looking the building site (an addition to the Riu Palace for adults only - bring it on ) because we were on the ground floor it was in full view, also the safe had no door ,we went to reception they said we could move if we wanted but they could get a safe door immediately, we decided to move to the other block where we were put in the largest room I have ever seen very nice but far to big for the two of us and we felt the air conditioning was not adequate so yes you have guessed we moved again back to the other block on the 5th floor which was great. We had a sea view from lying in bed and could only see the building site if we looked down. The work in progress gave us no problems at all and to be honest we spend very little time in the room - you heard the occasional bang or lorry but honestly nothing to bother you - you wouldn't move out your house if your neighbours were building ! Anyway the room was spotless, the air con worked well and it also had a ceiling fan which we didn't have on, I read complaints about the beds being hard but we honestly couldn't fault ours. The optics (all brand name e.g. Smirnoff and Johnie Walker) and fridge were stocked up daily as was any bubble bath etc used.
The pool was kept very clean with pool towels and sun shades which we never had any trouble getting I admit we did put our towels out on the way to breakfast just because we are creatures of habit and found a good spot! Waiter service was excellent around the pool we gave the guys a couple of dollars every other day and they looked after us. We did a couple of days on the amazing beach where it was hard to get a sunshade but there is plenty of palm trees so we just lay under them, there's plenty of activity on the beach e.g. banana boat rides, tyre rides.
The food was superb - we ate in 3 of the 4 speciality restaurants all very good but to be honest the buffet was superb for all meals. The drinks included in the AI were awesome my husband was drinking Chivas Regal whisky which I am told is about £35 a bottle - no cheap unbranded stuff at all and the cocktails were amazing !!!
My only negative comment was the evening entertainment was rubbish but we never watch it anywhere we just like to go a walk after dinner and there is a lovely area to walk with bars doing happy hour and I know we were AI but @ $18 for 4 cocktails it had to be done while watching the fountain display. We visited quite a few of the casinos in various hotels and managed to have a few little wins you can go in any of the casinos.
A visit to Oranjestad is a must for the designer shops all duty free - $4 return on the bus or in a mini bus which will stop and pick you up if you are standing at the bus stops.Ladies Pandora charms are $25 approx. £16 so a real good buy. There is Tommy Hilfiger, Gucci etc. if that's your scene and of course the little nick nack shops which really aren't that tacky!
We did one trip with Thomson the UVTs off roading round the island which was amazing and such good fun - it cost $189 but we personally thought it was worth it .We spoke to various folk who had done different trips all saying they were good.
I used the spa twice once for a pedicure and had gel nails applied when I first got there - bit more expensive than at home but excellent service when I broke one it was replaced free of charge.
We asked if we could have a late check out as our pick up time was 3:30p.m which they gave us free of charge and they staggered the pick up times to avoid queues at the airport which seemed to work well - so overall we had an excellent time in a fantastic and will definitely going back to sample the adult only extension ( although I have to say there were hardly any children there at all ) If anyone wants anymore details please feel free to contact me

Room Tip: junior suites are good in either block
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank smurfygirl
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I just got back to ny yesterday..I stayed at the riu 5/22-5/26 ...the staff for the most part were very nice...I was assigned room 0503 which had black mold on the walls and the ac vent...so I requested another room, 0412 ...went to the room but it was occupied...smh..finally settled for 0505... Headache on day 1...the beds are hard and clammy...not enough lighting in the bathroom...the one thing I can say is that the food is really good....I didn't like the fact that you had to make reservation for dinner everyday bet the hours of 8am to 9am...who does that ??? The evening manager at the nautilus is an a@@!!! The staff there were very nice and attentive....the only way I would stay at this resort again is if...they put a humidifier in every room add more air vents for circulation and change the beds...if I do come back to Aruba , I will stop by to say hello to the staff that were very kind myself and friends....

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank tanyagreen_10
Paris
Reviewed 27 May 2014

One of the ONLY all inclusive resorts in Aruba, right on the beach. Quick walk to downtown nightlife. Riu buffet was excellent as always. Pool was nice but no pool volleyball available. Not enough seating by the pool, you have to get up at the crack of dawn, (7:00 am or earlier) to secure a lounger on the pool deck OR a spot on the beach. We had a problem with our first rom, our bed was uncomfortable, staff was very accommodating and switched rooms for us. Aruba is a beautiful safe island. Would definitely come back!

Room Tip: Any room will offer a great view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stefanie M
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 27 May 2014

the best an excellent hotel with all inclusive, in front of the beach, with programmed activities always sunny ! perfectly located in Aruba, is perfect for your dream vacation :), different restaurants inside the hotel! and near by casinos, you can find good offers and deals in the internet in their website to get a better price.!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Beach - perfect 10/10
Room - 9.8/10
Views - 9.5/10
Cleanliness - 10/10

Best I've been to by a long long way - well worth it if you go.

Stayed here first to weeks of September 2013 and had a great time. Beautiful white beaches. Remember and leave a modest tip for the staff - you'll find it well worth it

Room Tip: Go for the junior suite in the main building with full sea view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stevoEdinburgh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Barcelo Aruba
Barcelo Aruba
#20 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!