“Made for an OK honeymoon”

Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed 15 October 2008

Through the recommendation of our travel agent, we booked the Riu for our honeymoon in Aruba. We told our agent we want a pampered, relaxed honeymoon on the beach. She recommended the Riu because it was new and had great reviews. We disagree.

We were anything but pampered. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice hotel but I wouldn't consider it a 4 star hotel by any means. It's very large and ornate. Not really my taste in decor but that's neither here nor there. We stayed in the the Jr. suite. We were in the C building, which is the old Aruba Grand building. Our room was renovated; marble bathroom, tiled floors..but a rock hard king bed. I actually prefer a firm mattress, but this was HARD. Apparently there were some 'dial-a-number' beds in the other buildings but only on the double beds, so we heard. There was a tube TV, no big deal, but again we heard other rooms had LCD's but those rooms didn't have the updated baths. So it seemed you had to choose which upgraded amenity you preferred. Nonsense to me. We also had to wait 2 days before getting our 'honeymoon' champagne. The wait kind of took that specialness away. Also we had the last room on the 2nd floor, oceanside view. At first we were going to ask to be switched to a higher floor room, but we realized the 2nd flr still gave us a decent view and was such easy access to the beach, pool and spa. We actually preferred our location. And since during our stay we were hit with torrential thunderstorms, everyday there was power and satellite tv outages, if we were on a high floor we'd be depending on the long flights of stairs too often. (Our trip was 10/5-10/14. It POURED 2 entire days, 3 mornings and one evening. The day we were leaving, Aruba felt the hit of Hurricane Omar. Awful storm. I don't know how our plane took off!)

On to the food.. as previously mentioned there is a buffet and 4 restaurants. The buffet was ok. After a while you realize the food is same pretty much day in and day out, but it's decent for buffet food. We only ate at 2 restaurants; Nautilus steakhouse and the Krystal gourmet. Both were pretty good. The Krystal is decorated with blown glass sculptures and is pretty attractive, while the Nautilus is pretty much deck seating. Biggest drawback, no background music. Very awkward. We heard to stay clear of the Italian and Japanese restaurants. On those nights we ventured into town and ate at La Trattoria by the lighthouse and Flying Fishbone. Look them both up; HIGHLY recommended for excellent food, service and scenery.

The drinks..they flow all day and night. The bars were ok. There's a 24 hour sports bar, an outdoor bar and nightclub bar which close at 2am. The nightly entertainment wasn't my style, but we expected that.

The pool and beach.. There are two pools, one sort of flows on-top of the other larger pool. The large pool has several loungers, a fountain, a jacuzzi and the swim up bar with tables and seating. They look nice but come noontime they are gross! All along the edges was floating buildup of spilled drinks, hair, suntan lotion and bugs. It was so gross that we soon decided we would just be beach bums. We would check each day thinking maybe it was abnormal, but everyday the same floating globs of grossness. If you stayed in the center it was fine, but if you wanted to rest along the edges or near the bar, beware. But after enough drinks I suppose people don't mind as much (?!) Also, it closes at 6:00pm...for cleaning!! We checked all the nearby hotels and all except for the Occidental were 24 hour, swim at your own risk. Step it up Riu!!
The mention of the waking up early to reserve your poolside loungers is correct, but every time we would head out to the beach the were plenty of chairs and a few palapas available. We loved the beach. It wasn't too big, but it was clean and quiet. Just could really use some drink service.

The staff.. is pretty friendly and eager to assist. The only time they were very unaccomodating is when we asked how much we paid per night and for our reservation details. We asked 2 separate front desk people, both times we were, rather rudely, given the run around. Also we asked about our room, the Jr. suite. On their website it shows a room with steps leading up to the bed and a large terrace. Our travel agent was told by the Riu that was what our room would look like. When we asked the staff member, she rudely said "None of rooms have steps. I don't know what you are even talking about!" I just explained the room wasn't what we expected, to which all she could do was shrug her shoulders.

All-in-all Riu is ok. Just not our idea of the perfect honeymoon. Based on our experience, it is unlikely we'd ever book at a Riu resort in the future. Next time around in Aruba, we'll be at the Hyatt.

3  Thank danigirl715
Write a ReviewReviews (6,372)

Reviewed 14 October 2008

My husband had a heart attack last November so did not book a holiday until late in the year. We had no idea where to go but a travel agent recommended the Riu Palace in Aruba. We were very impressed with the hotel room. It was a decent size and the bed was very comfortable. The buffet restaurant served good food and varied enought for everyone. The staff were very friendly. The beach was lovely but the only complaint I have is that there were not enough sun umbrellas on the beach. People had to go out early in the morning to put towels on the chairs to be able to get an umbrella. The sun is very intense so those of us not used to sun really needed some shade. For the size of the hotel the provision of sun umbrellas was not enough. People could hire them on the beach at $25 a day which was very expensive.
The hotel was good value as all the food and drinks are inclusive. the standard of cleaning was good. I would recommend this hotel for people who would like a chill out holiday. Aruba is relatively safe and we could catch a local bus into town any time of the day or night. Although there are plenty of shops in Aruba perchases are not as cheap as in other Caribbean Islands. We went horse riding and on a jeep safari T We had a good holiday and we would go back again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SapphireOxfordUK
Reviewed 14 October 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Riu from Sept. 29th-Oct.9th for our honeymoon. We have traveled all over the U.S. and Mexico and have been at great resorts and have stayed at terrible resorts. I would have to say that the Riu is in our top 5 resorts. Here's my view of the resort.
Check in was very easy. He's a tip, email the resort before you go and tell them when you're getting there and ask for the "A" building 7th floor or higher. I emailed them 2 weeks before we got there and had everything waiting for us, 8th floor jr. suite in the middle of the floor overlooking the pool and a perfect view of the ocean. In the room the floor was very wet when we got there so I call the front desk and they told me to crank up the a/c and keep the door and windows shut for 30-45mins and that should help it. 30mins later the floor was 100% dry. Don't leave your window open and be careful after the maid cleans because the floor will be wet.
The pool. This was the worst part of the resort. If you are not at the pool by 7 a.m. you may not get a chair. People start putting out their towels around 6:45 - 7:00 a.m. It totally sucks to have to get up every morning at 6:45 a.m. when you are on vacation just to get a spot at the pool. The resort was full during our stay and they only have about 140 - 160 chairs at the pool with 500 guests staying there. BS. If you don't mind the sand you could get a chair everyday any time down at the beach. The only problem with this is that there is no bar at the beach and no drink service. The pool itself is great, very big and a great swin up bar. If you don't need a chair to enjoy the pool area you can go down to the pool at anytime. Keep in mind that the pool bar closes at 6 p.m. everyday even though the sun is still up and the tempture may still be in the 90's. Other pools at other resorts next to the Riu stay open 24 hrs. Good luck at the pool and beach.
The food. The buffet is just o.k., it's not the best we've seen. At breakfast it's the same thing every morning, very boring. Lunch is the same way. Dinner is a little different each night but 80% is the same each night. The other 4 restaurants are reservation only. They start taking reservations at 9 a.m. and there is a line at the desk by 8:30 a.m. They will fill up by 10 a.m. so you have to get to that early as well. We learned early that if you don't have a reservation you can still show up to the restaurant and ask to be seated and 99% of the time they got us a table. Trust me, you'll be sick of the food after 4 days. We ate out 6 times and never spent less than $100 at dinner off the resort. All the restaurants are expensive. Lunch could run you $30 - $50. If you want to eat out have the front desk call the restaurant for you and make a reservation, I thought this was a great help. The bars at the resort all have top shelf liquor and they will make the drinks as strong as you want. Take some singles and tip the staff. One dollar goes a long way down there.
I could go on and on about how great the island is so all I'll say is do as much as you can. Bus trips, jeep tours, fishing, do it all.
The resort is great and it has a ton of great features. I would tell everyone to stay there but I might not tell them to stay there twice.
Contact me if you have any questions.

5  Thank hambyth
Reviewed 14 October 2008

My wife and I went to the Riu for our five year anniversary as we stayed in Aruba for our Honeymoon at the Divi Divi. We were looking for a newer, more modern facility, so we picked the Riu. The moment we landed in the airport, the GO GO Tours transported us without problem or difficulty. We arrived at the resort in a reasonable time and were greeted by very friendly employees, all wanting to help us. Our check in and explaination of the room and the facility was also handled without incident or problem. The problems and the mixed emotions so to speak, began after the check in. The room had a very large, king size bed, which was rock hard. This bed was so hard, it actually felt like we were sleeping on the concrete floor by the pool. Not good. This bed was terribly hard and uncomfortable, causing sleepless nights. The other thing which was a very large negative was the amount of smoking throughout the facility. I found this strange. A facility this large, should have a designated smoking area which should apease all patrons. There were nights when the Sports Bar was so smoke filled that we could not stay inside for a beverage. The smoking was allowed everywhere in the facility, this should be looked at. Lastly, the restaurants inside the facility were all sub par with the exception of the Steak House. The Steak House offered a nice dinner of Filet and Lobster with a very nice salad, seafood type apetizer which was more than acceptable. Stay clear of the Italian and Japanese place, not good. Overall I would rate the facility as beautiful "eye candy", but needs some improvements here and there. There were some security issues with rooms and what not, where you would have to really expect this with this many people at one location. The rush in the morning to obtain a sun hut was really ridiculous, this could be calmed by signing up the night prior. I found some of the "beach help" had their "palms greased" the night before by patrons who didnt really want an early wake up for a hut. There has to be a better way. The beach portion of the resort was relatively small for the amount of patrons at the hotel. Pool area was beautiful. Drinks and all employees were acceptable. I guess we were looking for just a bit more, with a bit more consideration (smoking limititations) and what not. I would stay at the Divi, if I had to choose again.

2  Thank agent337
Reviewed 12 October 2008

The Riu was not what my boyfriend and I were looking for. The check in process was a nightmare. We were told our room was not ready and to eat at the open air buffet. It was really gross flies all over the food. The cold food did not even sit on ice, so it is not cold. The staff barely spoke to us unless we were at the bar. The room was really nice and for what it is worth, we loved the hard bed. It was great for our back. The overall look of the hotel is beautiful just way too big and loud and obnoxious for what we were looking for. It is like Disney World so to speak. As far as the beach goes, it is very crowed. I would also warn you that there was a ton of topless women on the beach everyday. I just am adding that because I read there was not very many, so just to be clear there is plenty. We loved the little restaurant on the end of the pier.
We actually got up and left the formal dinner because it is so awkward, everyone is seated at the same time, no music, just not very romantic. We ate out every night. If you so choose, a wonderful romantic and delicious restaurant is The Old Man in the Sea, but it is an expensive cab ride. The other restaurants we went to that were also good were Madame Jeanette, and the Asian restaurant next door at the Westin. It is worth the money to rent a car and get a map to tour the island

I say in the title it depends what you’re looking for because we like TOP quality food and ambience when we dine, we also like top notch service, and we would have liked a quieter more relaxing atmosphere vs. the drunken party at the pool. I would think if you’re going there to party with a big group of friends it would be ok, but for a romantic get away...I would not suggest it. At the risk of sounding snobby, it is really a matter of what quality your are used to and prefer. I have no doubt that for some people it is great.

2  Thank WellTraveledFlorida
Reviewed 8 October 2008

Arrived at the Riu on 10/2/08 and thought this would be a great location I choose. After our check-in which went smooth we were advised to use the buffet for lunch and diner the fist day as you need to make a resevation by 9:00am to the resturant of your choice. Upon arriving at the buffet the open dining is an invitation to all birds and insects walking over the food. Don't leave your plate the birds will carry it away. As for our room nice room with beautiful view. Needed some tlc peeling paint some mold in the shower but otherwise acceptable. The pool and beach lack the extra touch service you would like while on vacation such as drink servers and non-motorized water activities. If you would like a beach hut or pool umbrella say hello to 5:00AM or you can forget about it. Very annoying while on vacation! The food in general is very sub par for an island with so many top quality places to dine. The so called room service is limited to about 5 items you cannot get a bottle of wine in the building WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT. Now for the serious concern we saw and that is the lack of security and the issue with rooms being broken into. We saw this on 2 different days. In closing I think that the management of thr Riu needs to evaluate whats gioning on to improve the quality of this resort or the word is giong to get out. I will not return and advise others to use caution. Aruba is a great island with very friendly pepole but the RUI BETTER WAKE-UP

4  Thank hunteral
Reviewed 5 October 2008

I have just returned from 5 nights at the Riu Palace and I have to say that it was one of the best vacations I have had in quite a while. I admit that I was still checking various Aruba resorts up until a week before I left as I was a little apprehensive as I noticed that there were no rooms available for the whole time I was booked and the other resorts had plenty of availability.(think convention or conference) I called the hotel and was advised that it was just normal bookings. I had a Jr. suite in the A bldg and the room and view were spectacular. It is true that to get a beach palapa you do have have to get to the beach early. We also walked down the beach to the other resorts(radisson/Holiday Inn sunspree) and they also have the same problem with the palapas. As far as the speciality restaurants we had no problem booking the ones we wanted. Even though the hotel was completely booked at no time did we feel crowded in. I would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple