“Wonderful holiday”

Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Wonderful holiday”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Firstly unless you usually stay in the park lane in London you will not be disappointed.the main things I like to know is are there any cockroaches?answer no.is there an iron and ironing board? yes.this hotel is one of the best I have stayed in.its very clean particually the public areas.the food(bearing in mind the nationalities and age group they have to provide for)is very good.staff were friendly and helpful,it was windy whilst we were there in May but without the wind it would of been unbearable.the rooms were large and clean.our bathroom was in need of an update but was clean and had hot water every day.it is a little humid but I didn't really notice the musty smell although I took a can of air fresher with me just in case.we used to sit around the pool and only went in the sea once but that was ok.outside of the hotel it's safe to walk around and there are shops restaurants and stalls selling souvenirs opposite.also you can easily get a bus to the plaza shopping mail which is nice also to Oranjestad which has local souvenir shops and a lovely indoor shopping mail.across from there is the marina.if you follow the boardwalk down to the bottom you will come to a beach.there are loads of iguanas down there.its very picturesque and beautiful.we did the full day jeep trip which was good value for money and quite interesting.back to the room facilities the hair dryers in the room are the small ones attached to the wall so if you have styled hair I suggest take your own.aslo don't forget your adaptors they are the same as USA.2 flat pins(not round).i would go back to this hotel tommorow if I could,

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Maria M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Wow if u think this hotel is bad, give your head a shake. Amazing beach, nice white sand and clearest waters I've seen and I travel a lot. The food is great in the buffet with lots of choices. If u book ala cart must book at the lobby b4 11am. The place is well managed, great helpful staff make your stay wonderful. We stayed in room 709 ocean view pool view, room was cleaned every day and if you need anything just ask. The pool is huge, lots of seats. Loved the bar outside it ponds at 5 pm till 12am. Great to have a drink and listen to live music. If you want to hit the town just walk 1 min to the left of the riu. You will find a nice mall there, they have a small water show there at night, plus acrobats perform at certain hrs. Worth seeing trust me. It's the safest place I've ever been to , you can walk around at night and feel safe with money, jewelry. Coming back in December. Oh and next door was the Westin. Riu bought it so the are doing Renos to improve for the future. Please don't be that person that complains about the noise, really not bad at all. Think about it like this while your seating on the beach. The hotel your in was built and there was noise at one point. Now it's done your there enjoying it. Places grow ,and it's really not bad at all. Relax have a drink on me lol. It's one happy island

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Portugal1982
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My wife and I certainly did our due diligence in researching "all-inclusive's" for our honeymoon experience on the Island of Aruba. At the time we booked, the prices for the Riu Palace were in budget, reviews were...decent, and we jumped on the offers at hand at the time.

We told them it was our honeymoon and they offered a free room upgrade. When we arrived at the Honeymoon location, the front desk manager was the person that checked us in. He informed us of our room type and location. It was not the upgrade we were promised and when I asked him about it I was informed that they only do it based on availability. Since that was not what I was told during the booking process, you can imagine my concern.

The concierge assisted us with getting our bags upstairs and was very pleasant. Once in our room, is where it all fell apart. Our room had a 3ft span of an ocean view from our window. We were promised Ocean View, not PARTIAL. The rest was taken up by a LOUD construction site that was just relentless. Our room had a VERY old television, which I am pretty sure was older than the resort itself. The bed had piled linens, a rock hard mattress, and a musky smell. My wife and I were horribly unsatisfied with the accommodations to say the least.

We looked around to the other resorts and found more suitable accommodations. While doing this, I started to become short of breath and started to wheeze. I am allergic to Mold and my asthma starting to flare up. I began to look for the mold source and found it around the air vent and in the bathroom. Obviously, this was unacceptable and we demanded a full refund. We approached the manager that we talked to down stairs and explained our problems. Since the hotel was completely sold out the only solution he could offer was moving us to a room somewhere else on the property because that person had not yet checked in. We demanded a refund and stayed at the Occidental resort instead.

In the end, they did offer us a refund. So I guess I can't be too mad. All I can say, is save your money. Book somewhere else.

Room Tip: Book an executive suite, those appear to be the only rooms that have been updated...or kept up shoul...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank randerson911
Kotka, Finland
Reviewed 25 June 2014

After reading review here on Trip Advisor I feared that the Riu Palace Aruba would be fiasco, and my holiday would be awful. BUT I WAS SO WRONG. Holiday was perfect or if possible more than perfect. We liked the rooms (stayed in C block 660), the food was great ( I gained lot of weight), liked the swimming pool area and the activities organized by the hotel. Enjoyed the evening programs with the glass of champagne.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Kibby2014
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

This is one of the first hotels we booked on our 4 months long trip without taking into account tripadvisor reviews as we got it almost for free. If we had paid the normal price we would have been a bit disappointed at first glance. While from the outside it looks better than the other hotels in its proximity, the hotel has some run down spots and you can easily sense that it has seen many, many people come and go.

This is a huge hotel and we generally prefer the smaller hotels with no hordes of people storming the buffet. There was quite some loud music from low quality speakers on the first day we arrived at the pool.

Having said all this, the hotel is not that bad at the second glance. We had a good time at the beach with free cocktails (it is an all inclusive hotel). If you want them to use premium alcohol brands, you should tell them though, as otherwise they will use the very cheap stuff.

There was not only loud music from low quality speakers, but also some good live music on some days. Buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner were much better than we expected despite the many people. There are also 4 a la carte restaurants where it is not as busy as in the buffet restaurant.

Staff was fairly friendly and helpful. Our room 179 was spacious and clean. It was alright, but as I said before, it has seen quite some people come and go. You should not expect a super modern and fancy hotel room, but if you are just after some relaxing time at the beach or pool, decent food and if you can accept that part of the interiour looks used and or shabby (not too bad) than this may be your hotel. I was indecisive on whether I should give 3 or 4 stars... As we had a good time, I gave 4 stars although this hotel is definitely not as good as many other hotels in other places of the world that I also rated at this level.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Denneo
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

When we first went to are room it had a weird smell of damp, very dated and the curtains had holes in them. For a 5 star hotel I did expect to point out any flaws at all. After 2 days we started to get really concerned about the dampness of the room and the clothes in the wardrobe started to get really damp as the back wall in the wardrobe was soaking wet and after time of complaining about this issues we finally moved on about the 4 day in. We moved to same room style but the other building but when we walking in this one is smelt fresh and clean and made everything better. The food was amazing with loads of things to chose from. If you are wanting to sit on the beach with a hut you have to get up early to put a towel on at about 6am and even at that time there towels already out. There isn't much shade around the pool that's why the beach is very popular and to get a sun lounger by the pool in a good spot or just all together if in a group about 7am. The hotel will amazing when the rooms upgrade is completed. Other than the issues with room at the begin the whole experience was amazing at such a lovely hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Victoria B
Canvey Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Somewhere I have always wanted to go and it did not disappoint! All the staff at hotel were amazing very friendly and helpful. Yes some of the hotel needs a bit of updating but the junior suite we stayed was cleaned daily and was spotless! We thought the food was excellent with good choices every day! The island itself was amazing with the most happiest most friendly people . It was great to go out and feel totally safe! The sunset cruise was one of the highlights I would recommend great fun! Thompson rep was excellent ensuring everyone was ok. I cannot wait to go back and look forward to seeing all refurbishment

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tina G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
Hotel Riu Palace Antillas
#20 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Barcelo Aruba
Barcelo Aruba
#19 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!