“Wow, what a place!”

Hotel Riu Palace Aruba
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed 3 November 2009

Had two fabulous weeks at the Riu with my two sons (aged 21 and 24) and my friend and his family. Upon arriving at reception after our 9.5 hour flight we were greeted by our tour rep and friendly staff with refreshing drinks and our luggage taken care of efficiently while we checked in. Our first impression of the hotel on arrival was the splendour and beauty of the place with it's towers, huge marble halls and corridors and beautiful rooms and most of all it's location on Palm Beach. All rooms, inside bars and restaurants are all pleasantly air conditioned which was very welcome (and necessary) in the humid heat of Aruba. My only small critisism of the rooms is that the beds are very firm and some of our group found them too hard. The room maids were very good in making sure that we were happy with everything and they made sure we were supplied with more than adequate towels, flannels and toiletries on a daily basis. The staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and made every effort to make our stay happy. The food and drink throughout the hotel were excellent and in abundance. The a'la carte retaurants were particularly good although they had to be booked in the morning from 9am as seating is limited and If you arrived much after 9am they would usually be fully booked already. The main buffet restaurant was also superb with just about anything you could possibly want available and in epic proportions. There are 4 bars in the hotel including the entertainment lounge where there is something on stage every night. Our favourite was Barry's located on the upstairs balcony outside the entertainment lounge.
The pool and pool bar is the centre of attraction during the day with music and fun activities throughout the day however, after a few days the music got a bit repetative and occassionally too loud (especially with a hangover!!) but the beach was better if you wanted a bit of quiet relaxation. The sea is an absolutley gorgeous colour and is so warm. Loved the pool swim up bar and submerged bar area!
My only real negative observation about the hotel was that the best sunbeds and beach pergola's were always "reserved" with towels from very early in the morning despite notices stating that "reservations" are not allowed. There are some good bars/clubs and restaurants within 5 to 10 minutes walk of the hotel or a 15 minute cab ride into Oranjestad town, but can be a bit pricey. Overall though, a fantastic island and hotel and we would definitely go again.
Bob from London

• Stayed: October 2009
2  Thank McDaddyLondon
Write a ReviewReviews (6,364)

Reviewed 2 November 2009

My friend and I just returned from Riu Palace Aruba. When we decided upon Aruba I recommended that we stay at Riu Palace as I had stayed at the Palace in Mexico and was very impressed. This trip did not disappoint. We are already talking about when we can return. The rooms and resort are very clean, an abundance of towels in our room. We never had any issues with getting pool towels like others have commented on. We just planned accordingly and at the end of the day exchanged our towels so we had clean ones for the morning. The staff are extremely friendly and go out of their way to help you.

The food at the buffet is ok, better than other buffets but the a la carte restaurants are absolutely amazing. Our favorite was Crystal (or as they refer to as gourmet). There is also Japanese, steak house and Italian. You do have to make reservations and can only do this the day of, between 9-12. That was a bit inconvenient, but well worth it. It was also nice knowing that when we showed up that morning to make reservations we would get a reservation. At some other resorts where they allow guests to book for the entire week I have found that you often can't get in.

The weather was great. It is windy in Aruba, but is welcomed witht the 33 degree heat. We rented a Jeep to see a bit of the island and to do some shopping.

Overall, this was a great vacation. We are already talking about when we can return with other friends.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2009

Since I appreciated & relied so much on TA reviews, I felt obligated to share OUR (operative word) experiences & thoughts on the Rui Palace Aruba during our 7 night stay August 15-22, 2009. Prepare yourself, because it’s a long one!

We booked a Partial Ocean View Junior Suite thru Funjet, with a promotion for a complimentary upgrade to Ocean View. Prior to departure, I emailed the Rui Palace Aruba nervously requesting a high floor with an ocean view & furnished balcony. I received a response, the very next day, advising they could “not promise” anything but assured they would do their best to accommodate.

Unfortunately, upon check in, we were told ocean view building A was booked solid, with no available rooms to upgrade, & the highest floor was the 4th floor, ROOM 425 in Bldg. B, which is classified as partial ocean view. I had prepared myself for this possibility, but was still a bit disappointed.

HOWEVER, once in the room, it looked exactly as pictured on the internet. It was a very clean, tastefully & traditionally furnished Junior suite, with ceramic/marble tile floors & a split level down into a sitting area with a loveseat, coffee table and 2 accent chairs. The room had a foyer entry with a large closet, a digital safe on the closet floor, a bar nook area with a small fridge stocked with water & beverages along with a wall liquor dispenser (which they will refill anytime.) Tip - just leave a post it note, here or there, with whatever you need more of, and it will appear ! The bathroom was large with double sinks, hair dryer, a huge mirror along with vanity makeup /magnifying mirror on wall, hand-held shower sprayer/massage and whirlpool/jet tub, and body wash wall dispenser. There was a very small furnished balcony to sit on and relax in one of the 2 chairs…. But most importantly and best of all, it had a full view of the beautiful pool area/gardens, the white sand beach, palm trees & stunning turquoise-blue Caribbean ocean… Yay! GORGEOUS! (See picture!)

Notably, it is NOT possible however sit on the balcony of room 425 B, to view the sunset… (nor do I believe any balcony in bldg. B, except possibly the very end corner rooms closest to the beach). ...regardless, we would sit on the beach lounge chairs under the palapas to watch the sunset… and it was tranquilly breathtaking! (Again see picture!) I do have to admit we only did this on 2 evenings, as we didn’t have the time to just sit and watch the sunset, since after relaxing & tanning leisurely all day, we were either out & about, or getting ready to be out & about! And, As far as the sunsets being visible in building B, I am wondering if it’s possible that it may depend on which month of the year, you are visiting due to location/position of the sun? If anyone has thoughts on this, please email me....

Since the Rui Palace is an all inclusive package, IMO you can’t go wrong…my hubby & I just love them! As far as food or drink, it allows you to try something new, without the worry of not liking it...and for those that complained about the food, seriously ? Granted, the atmosphere & cuisine served is not that of being prepared by a celebrity chef in his private dining room, but the fact is, it still is an endless array of food choices not normally available daily back at home…. Errrr.... At least not at my home… and, best of all, If you don’t like it, then try something else. You don’t have to spend a dime (except for tips) if you don’t want…but, if you want, then go out for adventure and explore! We did!

The Rui has four A La Carte restaurants ~ Steak & seafood (which is the most casual, & not air-conditioned … we went to the 2nd seating and did not feel uncomfortable, but the 1st seating is nice to watch the sunset, as it is facing directly on the beach)…We had surf & turf (lobster tail & filet mignon) (but just remember to ask them not to overcook your lobster tail, as ours were a bit tough, however the filet mignon melted in your mouth like butter; Krystal – a gourmet restaurant with a fusion menu - food prepared & presented like works of art (again the beef filet was excellent) but I do have to admit there was something on my plate called mushroom foam which was not very appetizing or appealing looking (!); Milano ~ Italian cuisine, which had a wonderful appetizer/buffet bar prior to your entrée. And lastly, Sayuri - Japanese that served fresh sushi appetizers. There is also a nightly magnificent buffet with theme nights and show cooking, black & red caviar, champagne, smoked salmon and capers, and just about any other food item your heart (or stomach) could desire. Note: With meals, they only offer red or white house wines. We like Champagne and asked if we could have it, since they have it at the bars and sitting out on the breakfast buffet to make the mimosas. More often than not, they would usually say no, they didn’t have it to offer for dinner, but then a few minutes later, it would appear with your server! It happened at least 4 separate occasions. Also on the nightly buffet there was a pasta table where you would choose what you would like and they would prepare it fresh. Pasta does not thrill me however seafood does, so I would select all the fresh seafood such as scallops, shrimp, mussells and the chef would toss it all together and saute it into a seafood scampi dish. And speaking of breakfast, there is an extensive assortment of freshly made fruit smoothies every morning, eggs prepared just about any way you can dream up, fresh fruit, cheeses, baked goods, jams, assorted breakfast meats, mimosas & bloody mary’s. Plus there is a more casual buffet along side the pool during the day if you’re still possibly hungry after breakfast… Some days they had a nacho bar/table that we really enjoyed for a really great afternoon snack near the pool … tortillas, salsas, melted cheese, sour cream, olives, jalapeños … wow! Make your own, along with your favorite beverage, cocktail or beer! Which by the way, the lobby bar that has the nightly entertainment had a menu with every kind of martini you could imagine…. And I certainly did my best to try them all ! My favorite was the chocolate martini! And, for late nights, the sports bar had some snack foods, and pre-made & packaged sandwiches (which, I did not particular care for), danishes, and popcorn which I liked taking back to the room, late at night and sitting on the balcony with a cocktail and enjoying the view….( see pic !) …and lastly, there is always room service.

The grounds of the Rui were beautiful and clean. The 2 pools consist of an infinity pool which sits on & flows right into the large pool which is a little unusual, but very pretty….
The casino was bigger than I expected for an all inclusive. Granted its not Vegas, but we had fun.

And, as far as all the discussion/comments about the hard “Flintstone-like” beds… My hubby or I didn’t have a problem with them at all. The only problem we did encounter was that in room 425 Building B, we had 2 double beds pushed together, which I actually fell thru the first night, when my husband became a little too amorous (lol)... but seriously, the beds are not connected…. but just pushed next to each other, and with the slippery ceramic tile and fact that the beds are possibly on wheels (I never did look)…. WHOOSH! ….you kind of just slip thru... it gave us a good laugh though.., but just stay on one bed, or the other, and it will be fine!

The only problem we experienced at the Rui was on our 2nd day after we came back to our room, after being at the beach/pool all day, we had purposely left the “do not disturb sign” on the door, as I was a bit concerned about theft (after reading some the TA posts, but we had no problems). Anyway, our room was not cleaned (we figured since we had been there barely 1 day, we could do without having sheets changed. Wrong! Bad move because as soon as we got on the bed, we noticed that the sheets/pillows/bedding smelled horrible – in a word SOUR. It was VERY gross! Everything actually felt cold & wet. We picked up the phone to call to have the sheets changed & found the phone actually smelled sour in the mouthpiece…. Yuck! We ended up going in person to the front desk to express our dismay about this phenomenon. I even asked if we could pay to upgrade to full OV just in case they were not being truthful about the availability, but was again told there were just no OV’s available, & would not be until day 5 of our 8 days. I do have to say that staff at the front desk was very accommodating – especially Ignacio (see pic). He gave us the option of 2 other POV room choices in building B. He even gave us the key for us to check out the room to make our selection. Ultimately, we got lucky, as we moved all the way up to ROOM 1028 Bldg. B, which is on the very top floor centered exactly in the middle of the building. The view from this room/balcony was even more stunning! You could see the island & more of the amazingly beautiful Caribbean Sea, since you were able to look out over building A & C. And, other bonuses were that Room 1028 had an actual King bed & a bigger nicer balcony with reclining chairs, small table & outdoor clothes drying rack… And, we never again had a problem with that strange sour smell…. Thank goodness! Also, Ignacio with the front desk had a bottle of champagne sent to our new room. Also our maid Marcella was very sweet and left us a pretty fresh cut flower in a vase one evening...and the front desk staff was very accommodating. On one morning when we were trying to find the best price to book a rental jeep to go explore for a few days, they gave us a telephone book and the use of one of their cordless phones. Note: Be VERY careful making local calls to a LOCAL ARUBA CELL PHONE from your room. Actually, my advice is just don’t do it…as apparently local cell phone calls in Aruba are charged at a ridiculous rate. We made one local cell phone call from our room to book a snorkeling excursion wi. I called the man’s cell phone. Then, on check out, we found that we were charged approx. $20 for one 3 minute phone call! Yikes!!!

The Rui Palace is very impressive, as it literally does look like a beautiful white palace on the beach, which can be seen from miles away by land or sea. It stands out among all the hotels on the stretch of Palm Beach. There are many things to see and do all within walking distance. Or, you can take the Arubus for a nominal pittance into Orangested to check out the towns sites, shopping malls, jewelry stores, restaurants, casinos and nightlife (which by the way, if you’re looking to dance the night away, it’s not going to happen at the Rui … which did not bother us in the least, as we found it entertaining just going to the casino. or watching some of the nightly entertainment/corny shows or taking walks along the beach sidewalk. For me, whenever I’m on vacation at the ocean/beach, it’s more important to get up as early and make the most of each fabulous day, rather that sleeping in late after partying all night long. And as far as the palapas situation, yes it is very difficult to get one even if you get up before 7 am. I’m not sure what the deal is, but it didn’t matter to us, since if we wanted shade, we’d go inside!

We went snorkeling on a catamaran called the Octopus with a captain named Jethro (don’t think Beverly Hillbillies - think middle aged tanned long haired beach boy with a Dutch accent!) .... he took us out to a German shipwreck called the Antilla, a 400 foot freighter that was sunk in 50 feet of water at the start of World War II by its German crew ...and then off the coast of Boca Catalina where we were told homes start at one million dollars. The snorkeling was absolutely AMAZING as I have never seen so much sea life.... we swam with a school of small squid, I picked up starfish, including a red one, pretty blue fish and tons of yellow & black striped fish (don’t know the names - I guess I should have asked)... and I even had an black African Angel fish (at least that is what someone told me it was... !) (See my pics) following me around for a while. My underwater camera took some decent pics.... .And I was very surprised to find that Aruba is only about 16 miles off the coast of Venezuela.

We also rented a 4-wheel drive Jeep Wrangler & went completely around the entire island of Aruba to the Northern side and discovered one new wonder after another!... We went to Baby Beach, The lighthouse on Boca Catalina, the natural bridge, the baby bridge, the gold mine ruins, the caves, and the rugged seashores with rocks and small cliffs that were so dangerous to even stand near, as one HUGE wave could drag you in and pound you into the rocks, but it was breathtaking! Also made for some excellent photos as that is my hobby... and the tiny little Alto Vista chapel that was so pretty and literally in the middle of NOWHERE ..... They had "tours" offered everywhere, but since the island is very safe, we decided to be adventurous and went on our own. Although, some of the places we went are NOT suitable for a car and RIDICULOUSLY rugged in some remote areas... a few times, I felt like we were out of our minds! So be careful, as it’s probably better to stick with the jeep tours if you’re going to attempt to go to the "Conchi" or natural pool... Regardless, my hubby sure had fun driving that jeep...! And, we heard while we were there, a couple got stuck in the sand & rocks over night somewhere out in the desert, and had to spend the ENTIRE night until the next day when they were found safe, but obviously distressed...The road (and I use this word loosely) to the natural pool was unreal... like you were on the moon! I was VERY scared.... you can’t imagine the deep gorges and ruts and sharp rocks...you had to crawl along very slowly with the jeep ...and seriously, a few times we were tipped on 2 wheels, and I thought the Jeep was going to tip over - it was unbelievable... but we made it , and we actually swam in this natural pool which was surrounded with those crashing waves and rocks on each side ... we walked/crawled/cut through the middle of these rocks that had tons of tiny little crabs crawling all over them, and you ended up in the "natural pool" which was surreal, as it was very calm and still, but the waves were crashing around it... hard to explain... but beautiful...

Bottom line, we loved Aruba, and had an amazing time!!! For those of you who haven’t been, Aruba truly is absolutely gorgeous! Surprisingly, they have no need to have a daily weather forecast, due to the fact that "sunny and temps in the average mid 80’s are nothing to report” (!) ..It was just beautiful !

Ultimately, reviews are based on one’s “own individual personal experiences’, unrealistic expectations, unfortunate circumstances/bad luck., or even a spat with your spouse/travel companion all equals = baaaaaddd thoughts, feelings and reviews… Seriously! … Don’t’ worry/hesitate about booking this hotel. You really can not go wrong, as the entire resort ~ rooms, grounds, pool, lobby, casino, restaurants, and bars are all exceptionally nice.. And it’s located right on Palm Beach with its glorious sunsets. It’s wonderful. They only thing that could have made the beach better IMO would be for it to be a little more secluded. You can however take long walks on the beach in either direction. If you like things more secluded, go to the left toward Eagle Beach and the low rise section. In the mornings it is especially nice to walk and explore. So what else can I say! ….I imagine that you'll probably have only a week or two….so GO, HAVE FUN AND ENJOY! Remember, when you're in Aruba, it's “One Happy Island” !

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Diva138
Reviewed 1 November 2009

The Riu Palace Aruba was wonderful! The hotel offers great views with great food, drinks, and hospitality! There were multiple restaurants where you could make reservations in the evening. The steak restaurant was delicious. Drinks were plentiful either by the pool, on the terrace or inside the lobby bar. The weather was great, with constant breeze to keep you cool while we worked on a tan. There were complimentary beach cabanas for use, but you had to get out to the beach around 7am to secure one for the day. Lounge chairs are also provided. Entertainment was okay. The room did have high humidity. All clothes felt damp throughout our stay. Overall, it was best beach vacation!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2009

I went to the Riu from 19-oct to 26-oct-09 for my honeymoon and it was absolutely fantastic. I'll try to cover as much as possible.

The Room
We stayed in a Jr. Suite in Bldg C. The room was clean and well kept. The maid did a fantastic job. The free in room bar was restocked daily as well.

The Eats
The Don Nicholas room for buffet meals (breakfast/lunch/dinner) are all fantastic. Lots of variety and lots of ways to get creative on your meals. We only did the 1 themed restaurant, the Nautilus at night and we had a great steak dinner. It was awesome. I heard good things from other travelers about the Italian, japanese and asian fusion restaurants.

If by chance you get sick of the food, there are many places nearby to eat, from your regular fast foods (McD's, BK, Wendy's,Subway) to restaurants like Hard Rock, Tony Roma's, TGIF's and local eateries which were busy nightly.

The Water
When people say Aruba is windy, ARUBA IS WINDY! The good side is that it keeps you cool when your working on your tan. But we found the water in the pool a bit cooler than the water in the ocean. Either is great, just whichever you prefer.

TIP: Take bread with you after your breakfast or lunch and go into the sea. Toss some bread out and before you know it fish will be coming to eat and you can even get the angelfish to eat right out of your hands!!! Bring your own snorkelgear if you have it.

If your a beach cabana person, you have to get up real early to grab one. likewise for umbrellas near the pool area, but there was always some spare chairs in the pool area and tons of spare chairs on the beach.

The Shops
Inside the Riu there's only a small gift shop. There's 'Little Switzerland' store in the Westin, Occidental and Holiday Inn. Across from Holiday Inn are a ton of shops and also in Downtown Oranjestad. On the main street where Royal Plaza is and more in the streets behind it. If your into Watches and know your prices, you can strike quite a deal. Search for days where no cruise ship is docked. Downtown is empty and allows for more wiggle room to you. (From the upper floors at the Riu you can look out the window towards downtown and see if any ships are there! lol)

De palm Tours @ the Riu
A great company which we won a sunset cruise and booked a Jeep Safari with them. The experience was excellent and the tour guides were hilarious. We enjoyed our excursions with them.

The Nightlife
Riu nightlife is lacking. There's a show every night which rotates after 1 week. 3 interactive shows (Ideal Couple, Limbo and Karaoke) and the rest are shows. lasts for almost an hour, but after that it's casino or sit at the bar that closes after 12. It's nice to watch, but nothing spectacular. Getting yourself in the Ideal Couple competition could score you a prize like a t-shirt or bottle of champagne.

The Fitness Center
Hmmm...The machines are sporadic. One day the treadmill works the next day they don't. It certainly requires some service in there.

We also got a bottle of champagne when we told the Riu staff we were on honeymoon which came to our room the next day.

I will most definitely return to Aruba, maybe not the Riu because I want to experience more eating out the next time around.

1  Thank yugluc
Reviewed 30 October 2009

We just got back 2 weeks ago from our honeymoon in Aruba. We absolutely LOVED staying at the RIU! Everyone that works at this hotel is incredibly nice. You can tell that the hotels main focus is to keep all of the guests happy. We had a great experience at all of the bars at the hotel but our favorite was definitely the swim up bar. This hotel has the best access to the beach by far. My husband and I walked along the beach a few times past the other hotels and their beach access didn't even come close to the access from the RIU. The rooms were spacious but everyone is correct when they say that the beds are rock hard. My husband and I were so tired from doing excursions during the day and meeting people at the bars at night that we didn't even think about how hard the beds were. We went to 2 different hotel casinos while we were there and again the RIU we thought was the cleanest and most fun! We would for sure visit Aruba again and stay at this hotel. This is our second experience staying at a RIU hotel and have nothing but great things to say about this hotel and the RIU in Cancun.

Reviewed 28 October 2009

I have just come back from a 2 week stay at the Riu Palace Aruba, it was the best holiday i have had so far! I read the reviews before i went and there was one thing in particular that me and my partner were concerned about, there were a lot of complaints about the rooms if you stayed in block c as this is the old block and apparently they needed updating and smelled a bit funny. When we arrived that’s exactly the block our room was in but it was a gorgeous room, with balcony overlooking the pool and beach and had no smell at all. Our room was cleaned, beds were made and towels changed every day by noon. Also some people have said that the mattresses are too firm but there is actually a remote on the side of the bed which you can adjust to how soft or firm you want it, don’t think people realised this as we only discovered this a few days into our stay.
Everything was just perfect here the variety in food and drink, the staff were really friendly and couldn’t do enough for you, it was my mum, dad n partners birthday while we were there and there was no trouble organising birthday cakes at reception, they would also leave champagne and a happy birthday message in your room, which was such a lovely touch.
The pool area and beach were just stunning! Some people complained about the beach towels always running out but we had no problems with changing ours at any time.
The weather was gorgeous the whole 2 weeks we were there and the nice wind everyday was lovely and cooling whilst sunbathing, not at all annoying as some people might say.
We didn’t do any trips while we were there but we did catch a bus into Oranjstead to do some shopping. There were lots of nice gift shops and a wide range of designer shops which were very nice.
Overall this holiday was excellent and i would advise people not to listen to the bad reviews as i couldn`t find 1 fault with this hotel. I will definitely return in the future and recommend to family and friends.