“Awesome experience at the Costa Linda and Eagle Beach in Aruba”

Costa Linda Beach Resort
Dayton, Ohio
“Awesome experience at the Costa Linda and Eagle Beach in Aruba”
Reviewed 8 July 2008

Overall, we were thrilled with our choices of resort, and beach during our stay June 13th - June 27th. We rented both our weeks from owners via Vacations Only. Transaction was perfect. Check in was smooth, and our room was available immediately upon arrival. Our unit for our first week (#3033) was spotless. Although, the furniture and décor was somewhat outdated, they were in great shape, and very clean. The two bedroom unit had 2 bathrooms (1 in master with garden tub), and 1 near 2nd bedroom. The master had a built in blow dryer. Hot water was always available. The kitchen was completely functional with refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher, toaster, coffee maker, blender, and stocked well with dishes, pots, pans, baking utensils, silverware, etc. There were bins for recycling aluminum cans, and glass bottles. We were given 6 towel sets a day, and although it was stated the room would not be cleaned on Sundays, ours was the first Sunday of our visit. Our housekeeper did a fantastic job with that unit; we were so appreciative of her service.

The unit for the second week (#1027) included the above with the addition of a blow dryer in the 2nd bath, but was not up to par to our first room. When we arrived, the light on the lanai did not work, the 2nd bathroom smelled like urine, and we were missing some kitchen towels. In addition, the master shower only produced lukewarm water. We reported the light, and master shower issues to maintenance via voicemail, and to the front desk. Any concerns regarding housekeeping were left on a note along with her 1st tip of the week. She addressed each item I noted. The only issue she couldn’t really get control of was the smell in the 2nd bath. I think tiles may need to be pulled up to correct the problem. She mopped, and cleaned, and used disinfectant, but the smell continued. My husband replaced the light bulb on the lanai from another light in the unit, which was replaced the next day. The lukewarm shower in the master was never addressed, or repaired. The water was hot in the garden tub, and sink so the fix was probably not an easy one. We did not continue to raise complaints about it as we probably should have. We would not rent that specific unit again.

The pool was our favorite of any we saw on Eagle Beach. From both units we had pool and ocean views. The beach was awesome. Initially, the water was calm, but as the 1st week ended, and the 2nd week began, the water became a little rougher, and created different sand shelves. We liked the heavier waves coming in; more fun to play in the ocean. Eagle Beach was much less populated than Palm Beach, and there was virtually no night life. For our purposes, this worked out great. We were able to obtain Chickees anytime of the day. Our beach attendants were very friendly, and assisted us whenever we wanted to claim a Chickee. They carried over the requested chairs, and tightly placed the towels on the chairs to reserve. They even knew which Chickee I began to prefer, and knew how many chairs I wanted each day I visited the beach. They were wonderful, and very deserving of all tips. Even though many people did not offer them any money for their services, they still treated everyone politely, and always with a smile! The day shift security guard was also very friendly, and knowledgeable. He made it a point to greet everyone, and become acquainted with the guests. We felt very safe in our resort.

The Turtle’s Nest at the Resort had 3 Happy Hours during the day (12 -1, 4-6, and I believe 9-10). I never made it to the late night Happy Hour so I’m not sure it the time is accurate. Although I am typically not a drinker (1 drink in the last 12 months), I became quite fond of their Miami Vice’s. The kids liked the virgin Miami Vice’s and the non alcoholic Banana Daiquiris. The bartender did not skimp on the alcohol for our drinks.

The workout facility had enough equipment to put together an adequate workout. The machines and weigh equipment were all Cybex, and in excellent condition. A personal trainer was available, at no cost, to assist the guests, and offer advice.

There are many more things I could say about the Resort, and the beach, but my trip report is already too long. We were pleased overall, and if we ever decide to purchase another timeshare, it will be at the Costa Linda in Aruba.

6 Thank dmconn1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 June 2008

My husband and I just returned from a week long stay at the Costa Linda. We had a very nice large one bedroom with two bathrooms, full kitchen, dining room and living room, huge balcony with hot tub. As most of the other reviews mention, the furniture is outdated and in need of upgrading but it doesn't detract from the beautiful beach. The beach is definitely the best on the island and the widest. if you don't care about the beach, then stay at the high rise hotel area where you will have much grander accommodations and lots of things to do. Unfortunately the location of the Costa Linda is in between the high rise with all the shops and restaurants and also the town of Oranjestad with all its shops and restaurants. We preferred the high rise section for shopping and eating compared to downtown.
All in all the hotel is nice but there is not much going on. The rooms were cleaned every day which I was surprised at that since it is a timeshare but you will get new towels and your bed made and floors swept on a daily basis. The bed was perfect for me, and we slept soundly. Pillows were fine as well.

one thing that I did not care for probably the most is there wasn't much hot water and for a large part of the week we took what I felt were lukewarm showers. Air conditioning was at a premium so no problem there.

The pool is nice and at this time of year, hardly anyone is there. It is a quiet resort with little to no activity in the evening. We took the bus system every night and went up to the high rise area. Both high rise area and downtown are actually walkable but the buses are very nice and easy to use.

We didn't eat at the Turtle's Nest or Frangiapani so I can't comment on that except the Frangiapani sure had good smells coming from it every morning of maple syrup. We went to the grocery store and ate in breakfast and lunch. it is extremely costly down there to eat every meal out. Most people did grocery shopping.

I must comment on the lobby. our first impression was that it was outdated and not very welcoming. They really should update that before anything. Mama's bar is in the area of the lobby and hardly anyone was ever there. It's a shame because I think if renovated and well lighted, it would be a welcoming attraction.
Check-in was okay and we had to wait for our room but in all fairness we did arrive about an hour before normal check-in, so I can't complain, though it seemed that anyone else showing up at the same time was able to get into their rooms. Not a big deal though. Check-out was a breeze. you receive your bill the day before to peruse your bill. I will say that now there is an energy fee and also a personal tax totaling $10.50 per day added to every room on top of what you paid for the room. by the way, gas is now $5.80 there!! And we thought we had it bad at $4 a gallon!!

All in all I would recommend this beach resort to anyone who wants peace and quiet. If you must be in an area with lots going on and great bars, then I would definitely suggest the high rise hotel. If you want a great pool, I would suggest the Radisson. It was awesome. We did visit a lot of the high rise hotels just for future reference but I would stay here again and continue to use the bus system to get where all the action is.

If you have any questions about restaurants that we went to or the area, just email me at mlittle_39@yahoo.com.

• Liked — Hot tub on the balcony, great bed
  • Disliked — not much going on in evening, not best location for shopping
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank courtrep45
Heiloo, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 April 2008

I traded in a week in Cabo San Lucas through RCI to enjoy a week in Aruba at Costa Linda. The two-bedroom room was not as luxurious as one in a new Mexican resort, but it had all of the amenities we needed and the best location in Aruba. My husband and I enjoyed a week of relaxing on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, under the shade of a chickee. Eagle Beach has incredibly soft, white sand and the ocean is perfect for swimming and cooling off in the heat of the day. There is a constant trade wind blowing but it is always warm.

Most of the rooms at the resort look onto the pool area but our room was on a side wing and the windows looked to an area of a parking lot lined with dense tropical trees and lots of birds, with a slight view of the beach and ocean. We ate lunch and breakfast every day outside on the porch. The kitchen is fully equipped with everything including an oven, stove, microwave, and blender. The living room had plastic-covered chairs and a hard couch, but we didn't spend much time there. The master bedroom was spacious with an adjoining (no door) vanity and jetted tub, and an enclosed room with a walk-in shower for two and toilet. The second bedroom had two twin beds and the window faced the outdoor walkway so the windows were frosted.

All of the staff at Costa Linda speaks multiple languages and all were incredibly friendly and helpful. Actually, everone on the island was friendly and we never felt like we were unsafe or being taken advantage of. The service there was just incredible and the staff was eager to please.

We were greeted in the lobby at check-in by a steel drum band which instantly put us into paradise. The car rental representative and activities planner were both convenient to have on site. The store had a variety of tourist items, nice womens clothing, and some food and drinks. We did not eat at the restaurant but enjoyed happy hour drinks at the pool.

On the trip we only rented a car for one day to explore the island, and relyed on cabs for the rest of the time. Cabs were never more than $8-$10 with tthe exception of the airport.

We would recommend Costa Linda to anyone looking for a trip away from the huge crowds at the beaches in the high-rise area of Aruba. There were always plenty of lounge chairs on the beach under the chickees; the earlier you arrived the closer to the ocean your seat coudl be, but they never ran out. Next to the resort is a public beach that just has a parking lot and few locals so it is wide open and nice to walk all along the beach in both directions. We enjoyed walking down the beach to the beach-side resturant Matthews for dinner and lunch. Incredible appetizers. There is the main pool winding through the trees and also a shallow kids pool. On the beach is a playground for kids, as well as a basketball hoop and shuffleboard. There is plenty to do at Costa Linda for people of all ages.

• Liked — beach location, cleanliness, friendliess
  • Disliked — uncomfortable furniture
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AK_biz_traveler
Attleboro Mass
Reviewed 5 April 2008

We just returned from Aruba having stayed at Costa Linda. We travelled with our children ages 2 and 4 as well as our parents in their 60's. Bottom line is everyone loved it!

This is not the most elegant hotel we have stayed at but overall we were very pleased with our stay. We had a 2 bedroom/ 2 bath with a small kitchen which is great to have if you have young kids. Yes, the decor could use some updating, but overall, we found the room and the property well kept and clean.

This hotel is located right on Eagle Beach, which is one of the nicest beached we have ever been to. This is a much quieter location than the "high rise section" in Palm Beaches which is much more our speed with young kids. Its a short 5 minute cab ride if you want to take a trip up there with all the shopping and hotels.

My only negative is that the onsite restaurants are limited and more bar food, but there are a ton of great restaurants on the island, and a few within walking distance. The onsite Turtle's Nest has a decent happy hour deal on drinks.

Overall we had a very good vacation at Costa Linda. Great for families, yound and old, although if you are young and single you may find this place a little dead at night. The place is literally asleep by 9:00PM

• Liked — Located right on Eagle Beach!
  • Disliked — Limited onsite food & restaurant
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank davePG16
michigan
Reviewed 14 March 2008

I was fortunate to be invited to stay at a time share with my aunt and uncle. The Costa Linda Resort is centrally located to restaurants, grocery stores and island attractions. The rooms were quite nice, clean and easily available to the pool area and beach. Staff were very helpful and always and always greeted you with a smile. Even though this resort is not one of the newer ones and not part of the "high rise area", it is lovely and you will not be disappointed. I would highly recommend this resort.

• Liked — access to beach and pool
  • Disliked — I have no criticisms
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank karen c
Wethersfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 February 2008

I have been a timeshare owner at Costa Linda since its opening 18 years ago and that is when we fell in love with Aruba. Aruba offers great restaurants, nightlife, terrific shopping, beautiful beaches, nice people (not overly friendly as they advertise) but nice. It’s safe (really) and very low key as are most islands. We happen to love the constant breeze but some understandably do not. The weather is always sunny with rare rainstorms that tend to be very short lived.

Costa Linda in my opinion has one of the best resort beaches on the island. That was my first attraction to the resort and the 2nd was their beautiful pool area. Over the years Costa Linda has had many management issues which have kept it from realizing its real potential. Their restaurants (now down to 1 – I don’t count the breakfast place) have always been mediocre at best and entertainment/activities have always been lacking in both experience and creativity. Their upper management has always been stand-offish and therefore that attitude has affected some of the people that work there. The majority of staff however, are lovely. Housekeeping especially has always been very friendly. The minimal maintenance of the units and grounds is now quite visible and saddens me greatly. There is hope that a new management will bring Costa Linda back to life.

Having said all that - I could go on forever about Aruba and Costa Linda - there still isn’t a place we have found (we travel quite a bit) that we love more nor have we found a place that makes us feel at home like Aruba and Costa Linda. If you are looking for perfection and 5 stars this is not the place for you. The Marriott and Hyatt or further up on the island and can offer you drinks by the sardine like environments both on the beach and by the pool. I’ll take the clean room, gorgeous, spacious pool and the most beautiful beach on the island – pretty much to myself. Thank you Aruba for all the beautiful memories.

• Liked — The beach location and pool - also its proximity to everything
  • Disliked — The maintenance on the units
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank INNeed
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 17 February 2008

We have been coming to Aruba now for 10 years and we have walked up to and examined most of the resorts that Aruba has to offer on both beaches, palm beach area and eagle beach area.
Firstly, can I assume that when people say they love the beaches of aruba they also are referring to the actual beach water as well? If so, how can anyone love the waters of palm beach? This is the area that is home to all the high rise hotels. The water there is full of seaweed beads, bits of rock and coral to stab your feet on (have to keep your eyes on the sand along the shoreline as you walk to avoid some pain) , and the water is actually merky. The combination of stagnate water and all the boat action it sees is probably the reason for this.

For this reason alone, anyone who stays at ANY of the resorts along palm beach are truely missing out on the real beauty Aruba has to offer. If they think palm beach is representative of the high beach standard Aruba has enjoyed ,then they obviously have not experienced the eagle beach area.

Eagle beach area has PRISTINE sand and CLEAR carribean water with little if any seaweed or sharp rock or coral along its shoreline. If you come to Aruba for its beach and weather then the eagle beach area, with its low rise resorts, is the only place to be, trust me.

Cost Linda on eagle beach is not a 5 star resort and thankfully so. It is the most beautiful resort of them all with its colorful decor, clean well maintained rooms and facilities, and low key casual atmosphere. 5 star resorts tend to lose their charm and and any "feel at home" atmosphere. 5 star resorts tend to bring out the traveling "ugly american" in many of us.
So if you're looking for the BEST Aruba has to offer, Cost Linda is place to be.

• Liked — Well kept facilities and casual atmosphere
  • Disliked — no buffet breakfast
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple