“Relaxing experience, mediocre massage”
Review of Spa del Sol

Spa del Sol
Reviewed 21 October 2013

With the humid atmosphere in Aruba I was nervous that this massage would make me feel hot and sticky in the outdoor hut. It turns out this was not the case. The covered hut has plenty of crosswinds and is nice and cool. The value of the couples massage is great and the experience is very relaxing; however, the massage itself is very average. Neither me nor my husband received any sort of "muscle/stress relief" as the massage therapist barely applied enough pressure to stimulate below the surface of the skin. In fact, both massage therapists did the karate-chopping maneuver seen on tv. Perhaps there is a cultural imbalance between American and Caribbean expectations.

Overall we left the massage feeling relaxed and the 50-minute couples massage was a neat experience. If you consider yourself a "spa-snob" or prefer a more technical massage, I would probably suggest looking at one of the hotel chains for a more upscale experience.

1  Thank Courtney U
in 18 reviews
in 12 reviews
in 52 reviews

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Massage in an open-air hut on the beach!

My husband and I really enjoyed this unique experience. You are given a locker, asked to shower (very nice tiled outdoor showers WITH DOORS), don a robe/sandals, then relax on lounges on their covered porch overlooking the beach. The therapist comes and takes you to a private thatch-roof hut for your service. Ceiling is high with a ceiling fan going, and there are additional fans near the floor for even more cooling and air circulation. Privacy is not an issue- gauzy drapes dress the windows along the wall that faces the ocean, and the spa is set really far back from the water/palapas so you don't have to worry about people passing by. When treatment is over, you can relax on the porch again if you like or shower again before re-dressing. They also provide cold refreshing water afterward.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! The huts are large enough to accommodate 2 massage tables so you can have a Couples Massage.

2  Thank georgiamelissa
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We did a couples massage on the beach on our wedding day to relax. No issues with being a same-sex couple. They make you feel comfortable and relaxed. You are in a private bungalow. You hear the breeze and waves. Very relaxing. Nice chairs to sit on before and after to take in the view and rehydrate. Would definitely do it again.

1  Thank Doug A
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Looking at the setting of this spa, it looks to be about as good as it gets. The massage takes place in small cabanas facing the beach. The turquoise ocean, the sounds of the surf and the champagne sandy beach is an amazing backdrop for a treatment. I was initially concerned that I would be a too warm in the heat, but there is a fan in the cabana and also enough air travelling through that it was not a factor. The adjoining beach is quiet so one does not hear a lot of noise that might disturb the quiet of the session. There is gentle music playing and wind chimes that one can hear during the massage (the beautiful music could have been just a little louder, it did get drowned out a little). Add to that the sound of the waves and you feel like you are in paradise. The spa is beautifully landscaped with plants, statues, and wooden walkways between cabanas and shower/locker facilities.

For the business side of things, you may be lucky and catch a time for the same day, but it is best to book at least a day ahead to get what you want. I booked an 80 minute relaxing massage. They take credit cards (except Amex, I believe) and the 15% tip that they suggest is requested in cash. It was too bad that when I showed up they had items (like beautiful orchid hair clips) in their cases that were lovely but were cash only. I only brought enough cash to cover the tip. If they pointed this out when I made my reservation, they would have gotten more business from me that day.

It is suggested to arrive at least 15 minutes before the treatment to fill the medical history and pay for the session. You are offered sandals and a key to a locker, where you leave your belongings (there is a key for the locker) and you shower, with a towel and a robe provided. You are then led to a cabana. The beds are comfortable. The techniques of the masseuse measure up to some of the better massages that I have had.

I was offered juice afterwards and I could shower before getting dressed. There are relaxation loungers by the receiving area where you can enjoy a juice and come back to reality. It was a lovely experience in a lovely setting and I would recommend it to anyone. I would love to know where to get a tape of the peaceful music that they play.

5  Thank 45DegreesNorth