“Vacation of a lifetime”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Palm - Eagle Beach
Casa Del Mar Beach Resort
New Bedford, Massachusetts
“Vacation of a lifetime”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed at Casa del Mar for my first time last week. What a great place ! ! The staff are all so friendly, by the second day I felt as though I made lifetime friends ! ! I stayed in a friends time share unit which was a presidential suite overlooking the pool with a magnificent view of the ocean and sunset ! ! Matthew's Beachside Restaurant served up delicious meals each day. The wait staff was very attentive, friendly and professional. I would like to send out a personal thank you to Marta Santos who's bright smile and vibrant personality made us laugh and feel right at home! My family and I already miss you and look forward to seeing you again. (I will be looking into purchasing my own unit ! ) The bar at Matthew's poured up many delicious drinks every day and Happy Hours were always full of merriment and laughter. I really enjoyed the official karaoke and all the impromptu karaoke sessions that we shared together! ! I just wish the bar stayed open later....closing between 10 and 11 pm was a bit too early for me, it kind of made me feel like my nights were being cut short.

Of course with all that is good, there usually is some bad. I do have one major complaint. I really disliked how people would get up early in the morning to place personal belongings at tables and chairs around the pool and oceanside to "reserve" them for later use. I found it very hard to find a place to relax that was not already taken by ITEMS and not PEOPLE. One day I sat at a table by the bar at Matthews and watched all the activity around the pool while enjoying some delicious libations for hours. I personally saw 3 or 4 tables surrounded by lounge chairs sit empty for over 4 hours with NO ONE ever using them within that time frame ! ! On another occasion I observed one table "reserved" with personal items for 2 1/2 hours just sitting there empty. Finally an older couple came and sat at that table for a total of 20 minutes before getting up with their belongings and leaving. That really pissed me off. I FOUND THIS TO BE VERY ANNOYING AND FRUSTRATING. Casa del Mar should not allow such indiscriminate and selfish reserving of the pool and beachside tables and chairs. There should be a USE IT OR LOSE IT POLICY IN PLACE ! ! I can understand reserving a table or chairs FOR A BRIEF TIME if you have to leave the pool or beach areas, especially if you have to attend to the needs of accompanying children, but I think it is VERY WRONG & UNFAIR to allow guests who are not present by the pool or the beach to hold chairs and tables captive for hours without ever being present ! ! This is really not fair to guests who are present that would like to use these amenities ! ! When I go back next year, you can bet I will take over such a "reserved" table and make a huge scene and force one of these selfish patrons to show their ignorance and selfishness to all in public. I could have played the same game as these selfish people were playing as I am often up early, however, I could not stoop to such a low level of selfishness and ignorance. I went without instead. I WILL NOT GO WITHOUT NEXT YEAR... That much I can promise you ! ! Lastly I also felt that the pool closed too early. I am a night person by nature and would have loved to been able to take a swim in the later evening, I am there on vacation after all ! ! I think unless the pool is being cleaned it should be available to swimmers any time in the evening as long as they are respectful and quiet so as not to disturb guests that retire early ! ! Considering that the pool is filled with lots of children during the day and the poolside tables and chairs were often unavailable, it would be nice to have some adult only swim time at night ! ! I hope management will take my critique and suggestions seriously and come up with a solution that fits all equally and fairly. Over all I would still give my stay 5 stars ! ! See you again next year ! !

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ken508420
Bob_Curtis, General Manager at Casa Del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Ken508420,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lengthy and informative review of your stay at Casa del Mar. I am glad that the friendliness of the employees made your vacation so memorable. We have wonderful employees who enjoy attending to the Members and guests at the Resort. We are also fortunate to have such a good restaurant located right at the Resort.

We also feel your frustration with the reserving of palapas by guests who do not intend to use them throughout the day. We have policies in place and a Security team that monitors them throughout the day but there are probably opportunities to improve the system. Feel free to notify Security if you feel that the system is being abused or if you would like a palapa and I am sure that they would be more than willing to assist you. We extended the pool opening hours until 9 PM recently and have found that most guests appreciate the extra time in the pool.

We do hope that you buy a unit and become an Owner at Casa del Mar. There is no finer time share Resort in Aruba.

I hope to meet you during your next visit.

Bob Curtis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Wayne, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 August 2014

cannot thank Maureen enough for every thing that she did for me and my family
she went way out of her way for my son ,she has earned my respect,Mr. Curtis
has my respect to and his understanding was appreciated. I can not say enough
about these two people you both have my respect and thank you from my heart

Room Tip: all rooms are great the back rooms are quieter
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank augie1049
Bob_Curtis, General Manager at Casa Del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear augie1049,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. Maureen has a heart of gold and cares about all of our Members and guests. It was a pleasure meeting you and I look forward to your next visit.

Vallejo, California
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I just returned from a week long stay at Casa Del Mar with one of my good friends. We stayed in a beautiful 2 bedroom suite overlooking the pool and ocean. The property was very clean and the staff was very accommodating. We never had to compete to get a lounge chair/umbrella, which typically happens at the high rise properties.

The only negative was the mattress in the master bedroom - it was pretty lumpy. However, if you are looking for a place to really relax, Casa Del mar is the place to be! I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Room 1503 is dead center ocean view. The best!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hilts2014
Bob_Curtis, General Manager at Casa Del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Hilts 2014,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I am glad that you had a relaxing vacation. It is hard to be stressed when staying at Casa del Mar; the employees are very friendly, the beach is not crowded and you can hear the waves on the beach from your room, what could be more relaxing.

I look forward to your return visit.

Connecticut
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Just back from our two weeks at CDM in two different two-bedroom Presidential units. We are very pleased with the improvements to the units and very happy with the quick response by the Head of Housekeeping to address a few small issues we had. The surf was strong while we were there and the southern part of the beach was hammered. If you moved to the beach towards ABC, it widened a lot. As stated by others, the pool was clean until late in the day when there was a small sheen from suntan lotion.
The new manager and his team seem to really be on the ball and concerned with providing a quality vacation. There are still times when you might find a dispassionate clerk at the front desk, but never anything bad enough to disrupt your enjoyment.
Already looking ahead to next year's trip!

Room Tip: We love Presidential Suites.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dogwriter
Bob_Curtis, General Manager at Casa Del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear dogwriter,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. I'm glad you noticed and enjoyed the improvements made and enjoyed your two weeks with us. The managers and employees work very hard and take great pride in the Resort, many having worked here for over twenty years.

Thanks again for the great review, I look forward to your next visit.

Spring City, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is our sixth year to trade in to Casa Del Mar! We are in our early sixties and have made wonderful friends over the years!!! Everyone goes out of their way to insure that our stay is fabulous! The property is maintained beautifully and we always enjoy the gorgeous white sandy beach just steps from the resort! The on site restaurant, Matthews, is great and has a great party night on Wednesdays! The all you can eat rib night on Tuesdays is also a favorite of ours! The sunsets are gorgeous and the crystal blue green water is spectacular! A BIG shoutout to Bea Geerman-Schwengle, the Concierge, who has taken such good care of us over the years! She has that friendly smile and greeting that always welcomes each year! We can always count on Bea to get us the perfect dinner reservations at the best places!! Just love Bea!!!!!! Truly one of the resorts best assets! We also enjoy the Bingo games and water arobics !! Wish they offered an outdoor movie night at the resort! We would love this! Great mall and casino just across the street and one of the best pizza places, Pizza Bobs, all in walking distance!! One bedrooms are across the street property and two bedroom units are on the beach! We have stayed in both! Free wifi in lobby now! We look forward to visiting again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jenny Lou H
Bob_Curtis, General Manager at Casa Del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Jenny Lou H,

Thanks for taking the time to write a wonderful review of your stay at Casa del Mar and for singling out Bea, she is the best and has a heart of gold. I am glad that you enjoy Matthews and the activities at the Resort. A movie night is a very good idea, thanks for recommending it.

Once again, thanks for the great review. I hope to meet you in the future.

Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My Grand Parents bought a timeshare unit here when it was under construction in the late 80's and the family has been using in different capacity ever since. We recently stayed in our Presidential Unit and were pleasantly surprised by the updated kitchen, furniture and flat screen TVs in the living room and two bedrooms. The staff does a great job of keeping the property looking clean and fresh and as usual the staff is friendly and courteous. The location of the property is perfect for our liking, as it is away from the hustle and bustle of the high rise area, but still offers allot of places to eat and drink in the immediate area.

The only complaint I have is that the pool water gets cloudy by the afternoon. I understand the heavy bathing load is going to make it hard to maintain good water clarity, but there has to be a way to increase pump and filter power to help that situation.

For anyone looking at a place to stay in Aruba, the value you get by renting a unit at the Casa Del Mar is hard to beat. You can pay 1500 to 2000 for a week and get a standard hotel room on a crowded beach, or you can rent a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment for less money and have no problem getting a hut on the beach at 11 AM.

Room Tip: Their website has a room map. Only a few units do not have some kind of ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JohhnyTram
Dear JohhnyTram,

Thanks for writing such a wonderful review of your stay at Casa del Mar. Coming from the hotel industry I agree with you that there is no comparison between a hotel room and a two bedroom suite with a full kitchen right on the ocean. Our suites are literally steps form the beach and as you said, there is no problem getting a beach hut any time of the day, in most cases. Add to that the friendly staff and great dining and shopping options and it is a perfect spot for a relaxing vacation.

We hope you continue to take advantage of your grandparents unit or, better yet, buy one of your own. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Olney
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Casa Del Mar is a home away from home. They make an effort to ensure the property is maintained well. The grounds are ALWAYS clean and there is always someone walking around to ensure litter is picked up. Aruba is very windy so it is a challenge.

Stayed July 2014
Bob_Curtis, General Manager at Casa Del Mar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Dotty07Olney,

Thanks for taking the time to write a nice review of your stay with us. I am glad that you recognize the efforts of the many employees that make sure that this is a "Home Away From Home" for so many people.

I hope to see you at Casa del Mar again soon,