“Great vacation at Casa del Mar”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Palm - Eagle Beach
Casa Del Mar Beach Resort
London, United Kingdom
“Great vacation at Casa del Mar”
Reviewed 9 April 2010

I realize this is more of a time share, but not many reviews on Casa del Mar so I figured I would throw in my two cents. I went here for a week in March 2010 with my wife and 2-year-old and we had a great time. Stayed in one of the 1-bedroom suites (Ambassador?) and was not thrilled with the room and its proximity to the pool & beach, but the walk wasn't bad and we were never really in the room. The staff did a great job cleaning the room every day (not common in all time shares from my experience). The beach was great, a little rough for a toddler, but great sand for our little one. I liked their beach a lot more than Aruba Beach Club's next door. There's a contingent of guests that wake up around 5 or 6 to grab chairs on the beach, but this seemed a little aggressive as we never had a problem getting chairs.
Matthew's is a huge positive for Casa del Mar - Really great lunch right next to the beach and a fun happy hour (we were there for St. Patrick's Day and it was a blast). They have all-you-can eat ribs on Wednesdays and the place is PACKED, we didn't eat there, but it will be on our itinerary for the next trip. Other restaurants we enjoyed were Pincho's, The Paddock in town, Ruinas del Mar, and Madame Jeanette's. Whatever you do........please.......do not......ever...... eat at Sunset Beach (at the Divi Pheonix). Just trust me on this.
The fitness center is really run down and the equipment is terrible, but they have signs up about getting new machines in the near future. My biggest problem with the hotel is their situation with the kid's pool. Children under 4 are not allowed in the adult pool (even with swim diapers) and their kid's pool was closed for 2 straight days while we were there, so my son had no place to swim. When I asked why it was closed, they rather rudely just told me it was for cleaning. Not sure why this had to be done during the day (no one was doing any work on it at night) and it would have made other arrangements while the kid pool was shut down. Casa del Mar has a kid's club that seems really popular for ages 4 and up.
The Alhambra Casino is right across the street and draws a pretty good size crowd every night of the week. There's a Dunkin' Donuts next to the casino, which was very convenient in the mornings. My wife and I like to go running on vacation and there's a great route along the beach heading towards the high rise area. We rented a car for the week and it was nice for making quick drives over to the grocery store (Super Value?) for food & supplies.
All-in-all, we had a really fun stay at Casa del Mar. This was our 2nd time in Aruba (were at the Rennaissance in town last time) and we love the island. May stay in the high rise area next time just to try out a different area, but we would definitely stay at Casa del Mar again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank Morgan S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Holbrook, New York
Reviewed 25 August 2009

My husband and I stayed at this resort in a 1 bedroom in the Ambassador building. It was the result of a trade of our timeshare through Interval. Upon arriving, we were hit up for some kinda of "energy surcharge" - $15/day if in the ambassador and i think $17/day in the presidential. In my opinion, this should be covered by the maintenance fees and is a bit rediculous! That was an extra $100 added to our bill- really not right and something I have never encountered before.

Upon walking into our room, we were greeted with this strange odor that was indescribeable. That smelled remained throughout our entire stay and nothing we sprayed could cover it up. We were expecting alot more from this suite. The kitchen, dining area, and living room were all within 1 room and not separated in the least. The kitchen looked run down and a bit lacking- very tiny area, but it served its purpose. The bed could have used a new mattress as you could very easily see the indentations in the bed. I felt like I was in a motel room once I saw the bedroom. Despite this, it provided an okay sleep. The hotel uses the dimmest lights in both the bedroom and bathroom. You would think for the extra money they are charging for "energy" that they could give you some higer wattage bulbs.

The living room TV went out on us about 5 times. Each time, just a snowy picture on every channel. It was fixed by someone and would just "break" again. Also, they had trouble pressing play on the "featured movie" at times so it wouldn't run at the time the hotel said it would. A little annoying when there was nothing else to watch.

We were also locked out of our room once. Our key didnt work, the maid's universal key didnt work, and neither did security's once they were notified. Situation was rectified quickly which was a positive out of all of this.

Also did not like that the resort didnt offer much to do- The only time it seemed active was for the 3 daily happy hours they had.

On a positive note, I loved the beach over by the low rise area. The small waves were very enjoyable. Matthew's definitely has a nice ambiance and is a great place to just relax. Staff at the bar was great- wonderful service. Definitely recommend going there during happy hour.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LiLBxQt
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 23 August 2009

We rented a timeshare for the week and are so happy we chose Casa del Mar for our vacation! It was our first trip to Aruba and we had a wonderful week. The Presidential 2 bedroom suites were clean and spacious. The beaches were pristine with clear turquoise water, enough waves to boogie board on and soft sand to take long walks on. Matthews restaurant had several happy hours per day with live music. The staff was engaging, friendly and fun as were the other guests at CDM. We will definitely be returning to CDM and Aruba!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank piratesoftheeast
long island
Reviewed 4 August 2009

I thought the resort had both positives and negatives. The negatives that we experienced was poor plumbing in the room. For example, no cold water in bathroom sink plus our toilet was making too much noise after it was flushed. The bell captain situation was amateur in my opinion. our bags were never brought up after waiting. had to get them myself. and the lobby (many people could care less) was not too nice looking. I was not a big fan of the rocks that were present on the beach either. You won't find that seemingly at most other resorts on the island. Another negative which will be a positive for some people was that there are waves (not huge) at their beach. I prefer the flatness that exists on the Palm beach side of the island, but I others might prefer the small waves. bar closed too early (i think 1130). prices in store were outrageous ( approximately 24 dollars for sun block). towel situation was not good. there is actually a period of time, 1200pm - 1230pm when no one is availbable to issue towels. i found it comical that the towel person is on lunch break when i need a towel on vacation. you also can't get more towels until you drop off your towels you recieve from yesterday.

As far as positives first I will start with the room. The room was bigger than I pictured and well equipped in the kitchen. Every room has a TV. We were lucky enough to receive a room on the 4th floor that had an amazing view of the ocean. the master bedroom also had large windows that overlooked the ocean as well. it was a view that was absolutely priceless. some rooms of course may not have such a wonderful view. the resort was not too crowded. plenty of huts available on the beach. enough space on beach. pool was fine. staff at mathews bar was great. mathews had decent food. Kareokee night on wednesday was a lot of fun. some kids, but not a ridiculous amount for those looking to avoid large amounts of children. and of course the caribean water was as clear and beautiful as ever. casino, dunkin donuts and bus stop in walking distance.

overall had a positive experience. this web site give it a 3 out of 5 which is accurate in my opinion. service at mathews bar/restaurant was very good. hotel service including bell captain and maintenance was clearly 3 star, not 4 or 5.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank phil2525
Connecticut
Reviewed 20 July 2009

We recently purchased a two-bedroom suite at CDM and with last year's useage banked, were able to stay for two weeks this July. (4-18) We were more than pleased with our resort. The Presidential Suites were roomy and well equipped. Maid service was excellent and everything was in good to excellent working order. The pools were spotless and everyone was friendly and helpful. It was easy to see why so many folks own multiple weeks here and next door at Aruba Beach Club, the sister resort.
There is a strong sense of family in this wonderful place.
Matthew's Restaurant is on site, providing good food and drink with both food and entertaiment specials throughout the week. Tortuga Grille next door may be the best kept secret on the island
for great food at super prices. Many nice places nearby as well. Pizza Bob's was fun. The French Steakhouse is back to the old glory days. The Promenade was a wonderful, different night of appetizers-as-dinner.
The beaches are returning after some winter storm damage. CDM's was narrow to the south but all of Eagle Beach was expanding as you walked north.
Casa del Mar was a wonderful destination on a wonderful island. We are counting the days until our return visit next July

3 Thank dogwriter
Ohio
Reviewed 29 June 2009

Just got back yesterday from Casa Del Mar. Two bedrm suite was great - lots of room. Pool is great, it's right on the beach, which is just steps from the pool, bar and restaurant. We stayed here because of a time-share exchange. It is in the "low rise" area. Problem is - the hi-rise area is where all the action is. Or, in the city there are also some things to see. Here you are between both, and cannot walk to anything. So the resort is great, but next time I would stay closer to the restaurants, activitites...etc. Although, the drive to either hot spot is only 15 minutes, so if you don't mind driving and parking it isn't a big deal.
We used the resort sponsored activities desk to book many tours and a dinner. The jeep tour we wanted was offered thru a different company. Lennie looked at our flyer and insisted on booking it. Now, we spent a lot of money here on the tours she sponsored. We found out when we arrived at the jeep tour, and went to pay, that we where not entitled to the discount because Lennie got the commision! We thought she was just trying to be helpful. They seemed to know her at the jeep tour and said "She is a very clever lady". I thought that was pretty poor treatment.
One other general Aruba comment...EVERYTHING closes at 6pm (except bars, restaurants and casinos). So for a family who likes to spend the days in the sun or seeing the attractions, then after dinner visiting the stores...they won't be open. But if you like to gamble (we don't) you'll love it.
Weather was awesome all week!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank VacationDadOhio
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 12 June 2009

We travelled to Aruba with our young twins and had a fantastic time. The employees were extremely friendly and the other guests were enjoyable. I did notice that many people travel there year after year and so it is a true family away from home. We exchanged into the resort and will definitely return some day soon. We had a pool and ocean view on the 5th floor. We even had daily maid service which was a shock in the timeshare industry these days. We ate at Texas de Brazil Casa Tua, Smokey Joes, Moomba Beach and Cleos Bar food (take out) and the resorts own Matthews Restaurant. None were a disappointment. The only change to this place would maybe be an upgade on the mattresses.. They needed a bit of help. Aruba is a bit pricey so bring your money and liquor is not very cheap.. Maybe at the airport.. Beer is very expemsive. Their local beer is just as expensive. We rented a car from downstairs (quick and easy) We went to Ling and Sons for groceries.. An awesome trip and cannot wait to go back

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family