“Great location and friendly staff”

Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This was the fourth year that my wife and I visited Aruba and first time at the Marriott Ocean Club. Each week there is a managers reception for the guests providing the opportunity to talk with all the supervisors in charge of the facility. All the staff was extremely friendly especially the general manager. The facilities and activities available were great and the pool restaurant and bar just received a complete face lift. We plan to return in September 2014.

2  Thank wayneh850
There are newer reviews for Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed at the Aruba Ocean Club from 3/28-4/4/14...just back home and wish I was in Aruba again! This place is very nice, the people/staff are great, and it has everything you could want. I do agree that there were some places that needed a little upgrading (sofas ? not too comfortable), but overall, whoever complains about this place needs their heads examined ! There are always people you cannot please. Smiley, the great activities person at the pool, was our favorite.....Marriott needs to keep him on. We loved him, and when and if he visits the Boston area, he could be our guest. He truly is "smiley" and everyone around him found it to be contagious !

For those of you who don't get the "perfect" room or view, or location....they do try their best. I, took, asked for high floor, pool/ocean view, etc. I didn't get it - got first floor, but we loved it. Easy access for food/drink/bathroom, etc. We had plenty of time to view the ocean during the week.....we were in it ! I'm a Starwood/Westin timeshare owner, so I do not expect them to give me first preference.....that should go to Marriott owners, just as when they visit the Westin resorts, I should get first preference. People need to be aware that the staff at any hotel always try their best to give you your preference - why wouldn't they ? It's not always possible.

With all that said, go to Aruba Ocean Club - enjoy the beach, the resort, the nearby awesome restaurants !!! BE sure to go to Madame Janette's and Papiamento (romantic with great food !!)

Enjoy you vacations at this wonderful resort.

Room Tip: please don't be demanding.....take what you get - you'll be happy to matter where you are...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BERKSHIREBRAT
Reviewed 3 April 2014

In July I will be returning to my beautiful island for my 15th visit. I am a Gold lifetime owner at the Ocean Club. Clearly I love Aruba and return because I want to, not because I have to. I must say that I too have had the same experience as one of the other people writing a review. No matter how far in advance you book or any other preplanning, will get you the room that you ask for. It's just not going to happen!! I have given up on asking! I too agree that the maintance fee and all of the other costs associated with ownership should at least get you a nice room with a view of the ocean or the pool. Again, it's not going to happen. Other than that I must say, Aruba is the place for me. I wish they would spend a little more effort on customer service at check in because it would really help when you tell others about Aruba and try to convince them to vacation there.

Room Tip: Don't even think about asking, you will get what they want you to have no matter how hard you tr...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Rita M
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We enjoyed a week's stay during the third week of March with 4 adults and our 2 year old granddaughter. I would have rated this property with five stars except for the check-in disappointment. I'll get the negative stuff out of the way first.

I had been in contact with the Rooms Operations Manager for this property a few days before our arrival. As a Lifetime Gold Level member, I had a few special requests. I had requested an ocean view, higher floor, and facing the Ocean Club (OC) pool room. Upon check-in, they offered a first floor room on the inside corner, right next to the elevators (no ocean view). As we approached the room I could see the accommodations would not be optimal, so I went back to the desk. The assistant patiently heard my concerns and went into the backroom, presumably to discuss the situation with the Wizard. Well, the best the Wizard could do was offer another first floor room (not higher floor) out on the wing of the hotel - facing the Resort (Stellaris) side (not the OC pool) and with no ocean view (so they offered none of my requests - 0%). I had also requested a quieter area so that the toddler could sleep when needed. Well, the room was actually in a quiet area (sometimes), but every morning at 6 AM - yes 6 AM - staff members would roll wheeled carts past the room to the pool, restaurant, beach, where ever, and any and all hopes for a peaceful morning were lost. So Marriott - this Lifetime member was not pleased.

Now the good stuff - this is a very nice property and ALL of the staff we encountered were helpful (well, maybe not the Wizard), friendly and seemed really glad we were there. (Oh, by the way, the Rooms Operations Manager called the day after we arrived (she was out the day we checked in), apologized for the room location and offered to have us moved. We declined (didn't make sense to pack and unpack). Anyway, the thought and attention were appreciated - Thanks SH). The actual room was nice, well kept, and maintained. It was a convenient location - no elevators to wait for - and we were able to walk out directly and in a few paces were at the beach or the pool. During our stay, we were very happy with the way the housekeeping staff serviced the room and they even waited each day to service the room until the baby was up and about.

Yes - there do seem to be a lot of rules, but the rules seemed fair and everyone was evenly treated. Yes - there was construction but good news for those planning a visit, the construction was done the day we left and the results looked great.

Bottom line - a terrific place for a family vacation, they treated us well (and really catered to our granddaughter), the beach and pool are great (not as crowded as adjoining resorts, but some might think it was a little too busy). I guess for me the best part was the staff, they were all wonderful in my book. Anyplace that can consistently make my granddaughter laugh and my daughter smile is a real winner. This was our third visit to Aruba (second visit to Ocean Club) and we will be back. I would not hesitate to re-visit the Ocean Club, but I've got to figure out how to get the right room. (Are you listening GM)?

So, go there, relax, and enjoy yourself. Aruba is an awesome island and the Marriott Aruba Ocean Club is a great place to stay.

7  Thank meh911
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Six of us (adults) just came back from a week stay at the Marriott Ocean Club.

This trip was our fifth visit to Aruba. We have stayed at the Costa Linda, Play Linda and
the Divi Pheonix.

The Marriott has way too many rules.
You need to go to the towel hut in order to get a Papala assigned to you each morning.
Or if you want to pay $10 a day, you can go 24 hours in advance and reserve for the next two days. I guess a way for them to make money.

The towel hut opens at 7 a.m. each day and there is always a line waiting for Palapa assignments and towels.
You are only allowed beach towels once per day. So you are not allowed to exchange towels during the day. Let's say you just go out of the pool and you wanted a dry towel to go to your room with- not allowed. They say they do that because they don't have a laundry facility on site.

Speaking of towels- housekeeping only comes once per week unless you request it 24 hours in advance and pay for it.
We arrived on Saturday and did not get any housekeeping services until Wednesday.
That means not only did we get clean towels we also did not have a trash emptied.

We did find out on the last day that in the fitness center there were showers with towels.
So I guess you can get towels from the fitness center.

Another thing was there was construction all week around the pool bar. We would be sitting on a pool stool and be asked to move because they needed to work in that space
According to a couple of owners that I talked to they were promised the work would be done at the end of February.
To compensate for the construction, they did offer $5.00 drinks for 2 days while we were there. Then they went back up to the regular price for the last four days, even though the construction was still going on.
They did offer happy hour at 3:00 which offered 2 drinks for $15.00

Thanks to bartenders, Wilma and Edward and activities director Smiley and his staff for making our vacation fun.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank kenochris9
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank for your review of Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club. We apologize for not exceeding your expectations due to the towel policy and bar renovations. We would welcome the chance to learn more about your experience and invite you to contact our Customer Care team at customer.care@vacationclub.com or by calling 800-860-9384. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

The family (2 adults, three children aged 11-16) recently spent a week the the Ocean Club. We rented a two-bedroom time share on the third floor. The bedrooms were decent. The pillows were very good. The two baths were equipped with showers; the obligatory Jacuzzi tub was in the Master bedroom. This is fairly standard Marriott set up. Our rooms were located at the northeast corner (right edge of bottom part of a "U") close to the laundry room, which was convenient, and the elevators (even more convenient). There was no discernible noise from either when our room doors were shut. The kitchen was reasonable stocked with the minimal essentials (4 big plastic glasses, 6 complete place settings, two frying pans, a colander, etc). Furniture in the room showed signs of some wear and tear, but not catastrophically so. Room was clean on arrival and housekeeping did an adequate job keeping it that way. Design flaw in cabinetry allowed for the handle of the cabinet door when opened to prevent the freezer door from closing. One of the room safes jammed requiring Engineering to show up with a crowbar to pry it open but the response was rather quick (rectified in < 30 minutes total) all things considered. Expect to receive the usual phone calls periodically asking why you have not yet attended the Time Share sales pitch.

There was some construction occurring at the Cafe by the pool which we were initially told would be completed by Thursday but which hadn't yet been finished when we left Aruba on Sunday.

The onsite Champions restaurant is fairly generic but not bad for a burger or wings. We did not try Simply Fish. The ice cream shop is reasonably priced. Drinks aren't cheap but nor are they completely outrageous outside. We did not try any of the other restaurants either in the Stellaris portion or the Surf club, opting for cooking breakfast and sometimes lunch at home and going elsewhere for dinner. Although some have advised not renting a car, for us the Yaris we had was very helpful for schlepping groceries, etc.

Waiting in line for a free beach hut can take up to an hour--be prepared and get to the kiosk by 7:00 am. Usually there are some available in the afternoon as well. The beach itself has several watersport businesses within a 100 yard walk--either convenient or interrupting your view dependent on your perspective. The beach itself is very clean. There was very little smoking during our week there.

The one recurrent problem we had was with a specific individual at the health club. Our children wanted to bat around some tennis balls. We were told by the front desk this was free and available, and to pick up equipment from the Health club. The woman at the desk of the Health club on the first day said that their (mediocre at best condition) racquets cost 5.00 per to rent, and had only three beat up old tennis balls. By the second day, the same woman claimed she had no more tennis balls because they weren't returned by some other party, but that we could "buy some" from some of the stores at the resort at our own expense. After wasting 30 minutes back and forth looking for the elusive tennis balls to no avail (the stores she sent us to never carried them in the first place) we returned to the front desk where a sympathetic employee told us that of course it was the Health Club's responsibility to provide equipment. By the third day, a single very old tennis ball was all that turned up. . . oh well. . .

Aside from this one negative, our family really had nothing to complain about. Go there expecting a facility with some signs of "gentle use" and not the Chateau Frontenac and you won't be disappointed!!

Room Tip: The Ocean Club is shaped like a "U"; the laundry room is located at the right base of the...
3  Thank Robert C

Thank you for your review of Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club! While we are happy you enjoyed your vacation with us, it is concerning to hear about your experience at the health club. We will share your comments with our recreation manager and thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our team looks forward to your next stay with us in Aruba!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Aruba is our paradise, and a little lapse in room maintenance isn't going to spoil our vacation, that's for sure. However, as owners, when you pay so much in maintenance fees, seeing the maintenance slip is disheartening, and troublesome from a financial perspective as well as "good faith" in contract execution. Specifics are: there were spots in the ceiling indicating a leak of some kind that wasn't done in a professional manner. The iron was cracked/had a hole in it, that was an electrocution hazard if water had been put in it. The windows in the living room were excessively dirty. The one day of housekeeping did a sub-standard cleaning in the kitchen/not what we're used to (and we're not that messy), and although we saw them enter the room with a vacuum, the bedroom didn't appear to be vacuumed. Two of the three washing machines were broken. No sign on them, so we wasted time thinking our clothes were being washed, and had to do the "swap out your clothes to the one working washer" ritual. The re-do of the poolside restaurant is encouraging, so you must pardon the accommodations there... the schrill sound of the buzz saw was unnerving... so we avoided the area. We're hoping our experience was the exception, afterall, there are a LOT of floors and rooms there. If you stay here, we hope you have a better experience, and the time of your life! Bon bini, baby!

Room Tip: 4th floor had laundry problems. 2 out of 3 washers were inoperative. maybe that's fixed now...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank scoobski

Thank for your review of Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club. While it is never easy to read when we have not met our owners expectations, we appreciate your feedback. We would welcome the chance to learn more about your experience and invite you to contact our Customer Care team at customer.care@vacationclub.com or by calling 800-860-9384.