“Another great trip”

Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed 30 July 2009

This May was our 15th trip to Aruba and 4th stay at the Ocean Club. This is a time share property and does not offer some of the amenities like the hotels do. There is also NO casino on this property so the comments by LoveVegasBaby is not accurate. The Ocean Club is located between the Marriott Stellaris/Hotel and the Surf Club(another Marriott timeshare).
There is one restaurant, Champions, located inside open lunch and dinner, and a small shop to get coffee/baked goods and ice cream. LaVista, at the Hotel offers a daily breakfast buffet with a "brunch" on Sunday. They are also open for lunch and dinner , with different Italian buffets each night. At the OC, Waves, the pool bar area serves lunch. Prices around $8-15 for apettizers, sandwiches, and salads. Beware of eating around the pool area, there are iguanas around and they will want your food. (Actually saw one climb up a childs back to get his pizza.) Each day there is a happy hour (2 hrs)with live music most days. The drink specials where 2 for $11, otherwise $13 and there are 5-6 to choose from daily. There is a lobby bar in the Marriott Hotel. Close by there are many restaurants to choose from in all price points and cuisines.
Nice free form pool with a swim up bar , waterfalls, and hot tub. Also a baby pool for infants.Guests are also allowed to use Hotel pool, but not the SC pool/lazy river. Had no problem getting chairs in May and there are several umbrellas for shade. The palapas on the beach are great if you plan on spending all day at the beach. Half are available at no charge for that day at the towel hut at 7am, and the other half are rented in advance $15 for 1st row, $10 for 2-3 row. Rows4-6 no charge and readily available. Be sure to bring plenty of sunscreen because it will cost $16-$30 at the shops in the Marriott Hotel/OC/SC. Each property has a shop with food and bevereges, souveniers, and assorted items and carry different things.
The property has a Maggy's for perfume/makeup, Gemani, small jewlery shop, and some clothing/gift store.
The Mandera Spa is located at the OC and is a nice way to relax.
The fitness center is located between the Hotel and the OC and is open 24/7.
The property is getting older and due to have renovations starting in July '09. This will definitely improve the quality of the rooms as the furnishings are getting alittle worn. The rooms are a nice size and the kitchens come complete. Love the beds-very comfy. All rooms have a balcony with table and chairs.
Aruba is a great place to relax and recharge. Lots of watersports available especially sail /snorkel trips and windsurfing/kiteboarding. Don't plan on having a "good hair day" because it is quite windy. This is actually a good thing. Don't expect a lush, tropical paradise because Aruba is very arid with cactus and aloe abundant.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank slthurlow

Reviewed 23 July 2009

We stayed at the Ocean Club July 4-11. We used my parents week that they would not be using this yr and exchanged for Aruba through Interval. We travel to Mexico yearly, Cancun, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, etc. and other Caribbean Islands. I would rate this island at the very bottom of places to return. The resort is ok, have stayed at nicer Marriott Vacation Club Resorts. The beaches and ocean in the high rise area were terrific, but after that I don't really have anyhing positive to say.

The food and beverage are out of this world expensive, ie:$16 for a cheeseburger, we did not spend less than $125 per night for dinner, for the 3 of us and the food in our opinion was average at best. This was eating off the resort property, Que Pasa, Madame Jeanette's, Simply Fish(at resort) and several others. For these kind of prices I wish we would have gone to Hawaii, the landscape and ambiance makes up for the prices there. The staff were not overly friendly either, very slow. I know we are there to relax and it is island time, but we found it to be almost over the top slow!!

To conclude if you have a choice between Aruba or beach resorts in Mexico or other islands in the Caribbean such as: St. Martin, St. John, Grand Caymen, you get the picture I would choose all before returning to Aruba.

2  Thank wdm73
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I received a great deal at the Marriott Vacation Club in Aruba and also a great airfare. Wow, I thought - a week in paradise. However, my expectations were far greater than reality. I know that there are many people that go and go and go to Aruba, but I certainly won't be one of them. The hotel was nice, if you didn't mind having the adjacent Marriott a 100 yards away for your view. The room was pleasant, well furnished and everything worked as it should. That is except for the drunk across the view who stayed on his balcony and screamed epithets at his girl (or boy or wife or ???) for a good 30 minute in spite of complaints to management. Then, the noisy doors, the children running up and down the halls, and the thin walls were somewhat of a downer.

Notwithstanding my displeasure with the hotel management and their non-responsiveness, I just don't get Aruba. With the exception of the resort area which has nice pools and sandy beaches, the rest of the island is rock, scrub brush, cactus, and (lest I forget) wind - which blew at a constant 30+ mph every day, all day. The sights to see are non-existent: the Butterfly Farm (a 30' x 50-60' covered enclosure) was humid and very ho-hum. Don't even bother with the Donkey Farm (you probably won't find it; the Ruins, the Natural Bridge, the Ostrich Farm, and (not to be last) the "famous" California Light House. This last was actually easy to find, but was it open or maintained? No; were there informational signs? No; but there was someone selling trinkets and cold drinks.

Overall, if you want to go sit on your rear at the pool or the beach (where the wind can give you skin abrasions) then by all means go to Aruba. I guess I should have known when it was so easy to get a week reservation at the Marriott.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MarcoPolo242
Reviewed 19 July 2009

I just returned today from my stay at the marriott ocean club, in aruba i cant say enough how disappointed i was, they decided to shut the air condition off and fix a pipe so for an entire day we had no ac.. but then the carpet in the hall way got wet and it smelled like mildew for a few days which was an unbearable smell i almost vomited as i tried to get to my room, then my son was in the pool and there was a cap vent in the shallow end of the pool but someone turned it over and nails were sticking out of it and my son stepped on it and was bleeding and the security guard and pool attendent asked if they could buy him icecream, i went to the front desk to complain and left a message for the manager and he never returned my call there were other things that i can keep writing about but those were the ones that are in my mind right now

5  Thank my3kidsNewYork
Reviewed 18 July 2009

My wife and I were at the Ocean Club July 10th - July 17th, 2009. This was our first time going to Aruba; we couldn't have had a more relaxing fun experience.

The ride in from the airport was a breeze; just look for the Taxi's with "TX" on the license plate as these are the government sanctioned cabs. It cost us $25 for four bags and two carry on's to get to the Ocean Club.

At check in we were given a room with a view we did not like; one phone call to the front desk and the Manager happily gave us one with a better view. Every time we encountered anyone from Marriott throughout the week we were always cheerfully greeted; they go out of their way to make you welcome.

Each morning I went out to the Towel Hut at the beach around 8:15AM to secure a palapa on the beach. The palapa's are grouped 100-600 with 100 and 200 being on the beach; the higher the number the further from the beach and closer to the pool you go. The 100/200 palapa's rent for $15 (100 level) and $10 (200) per day. All other ones are free on a first come first serve basis. We preferred sitting in the 400/500 area as we found we got more privacy, there was no rental fee and the walk to the beach was insiginificant.

Both the Surf Club and the Ocean Club were booked to 98% occupancy from what we were told. I was amazed at how crowded the beach/water was in front of the Surf club - many families. The beach and water in front of the Ocean Club was half as crowded; plenty of room to stretch out. I would highly recommend the Ocean Club over the Surf Club if you want to avoid kids and families.

We encountered many friendly people who owned timeshares at the club and had been coming for 10 plus years. As a result we got some great ideas as to where to eat. Casa Tua had great pizza and was a romantic easy walk down the beach. When you get to the Holiday Inn Sunspree just jog in toward the street and then turn right. The Tre Frommaggi pizza with three cheeses was outstanding - only $25.

We also visited Linda's Pancake House - off the beaten path but well worth the trip.Imagine a 20 inch dutch pancake (like a crepe). I had one with fresh grated cocunut, fresh pineapple and rum. My wife had the honey, brie and walnut. Outstanding - only $24.

Our 'big' night out was at the Hadicurri (spelling?). A short walk from the Ocean Club but with spectacular views at sunset. I had the grilled Wahoo; my wife had the grilled Mahi Mahi. Top it off with their orgasmic chocolate cake and the meal was top class. A total cost of $113 including service charge. Remember that many restuarant's fold in the service charge as a part of the meal.

We would go back in a heart beat. One morning I got up early and made a checklist of everything that comes with the room (plates, utensils, etc) for future reference. If you are interested drop me a line and I'll happily send you a copy. It will go a long way to helping you plan your trip.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
11  Thank kalzok
Reviewed 11 July 2009

They say it never rains in Aruba....the night I landed the power plant was hit by lightning and knocked out the entire island! Thankfully we had already eaten dinner. The weekend weather was touchy, but you can't help Mother Nature. The rest of the week was great weather and activity wise. I had an ajoining studio and one-bedroom so we left the door open to make one big "apartment". We went to town and bought staples for the room for breakfast, snacks, and Happy Hour. I brought my own liquor from home and bought mixers. Food is expensive, but there are many restaurants to choose from close to the property. The bus is only $1.30 or a short walk from the Surf Club. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We took a 4 hour snorkel tour..... Open bar, music, and great sights. The shipwreck was creepy....the sun on the boat was great! My kids loved the tubing and para-sailing....we have great videos and pictures since I was able to go on the boat to take pictures. Smokey Joe's does have great ribs....lots of food. Every restaurant off sight and on served big portions. The Italian buffet at the La Vista was fabulous...especially watching the sunset from outside. The pool chairs at the Stellaris were more comfortable and plentiful....this is where I spent my time in the sun. Overall the trip was what I wanted...fun and relaxation topped off by a big win in the casino!

5  Thank njmet
Reviewed 23 June 2009

We made our third trip to Aruba last April, and are planning our fourth for this September. The Marriott Ocean Club is absolutely beautiful. The accomodations are excellent, pool and beach are perfect. If you are a beach person, you will never be dissapointed in Aruba.

2  Thank Pattynola