“Romance and sun!”

Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed 30 March 2010

My husband and I decided to take a couples weekend for some much needed sun and had the perfect long weekend! This establishment, while part of the Marriott Chain, has done a wonderful job of showing itself as a luxury resort and catering to those in need of being pampered. The grounds are gorgeous, the views exquisite, and the rooms display a tastful tropical decor. We were very pleased with our choice although there are certainly several other great options in the vicinity. I think if I were to repeat this trip as an adult only weekend I would perhaps seek a quieter retreat but otherwise a great stay.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank familyfunMA
Write a ReviewReviews (1,251)

Reviewed 30 March 2010

Aruba is basically a desert landscape with dry, rocky, cactus-covered land. A strong wind blows across the island day and night providing cooling breezes (and bad hair). It's not really a pretty island, but the sea is a beautiful turquoise color and the beaches are white sand. I think the Marriott properties are the best places to stay on this island, possibly the Hyatt too. We spent a week in a 2 bedroom 2 bath ocean view unit at Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club on a timeshare exchange. Units have been renovated with granite counters, stainless appliances, tropical decor. Lobby and grounds are attractive. Beach is great. In fact, I noticed that the beach and pool at The Ocean Club had more space and were not as crowded as its sister timeshare Surf Club next door, so we were able to enjoy a leisurely and relaxing time all week. For your first night, I recommend dinner at Simply Fish right there on the beach between the Ocean Club and Marriott Hotel. Put your toes in the sand and enjoy the Caribbean sunset. Next day, if you're new to Aruba, take a half-day tour around the island to see the "sights" (there aren't too many!). We went on a bus tour with De Palm Tours and it was OK. Not wonderful, but good enough to learn some of the local customs and see whatever landmarks the island has to offer. Other days, do some snorkeling or scuba diving to see the fish in the reefs and shipwrecks that ring the island. Or go shopping a bit -- though prices are high. At night, there are many, many good restaurants and bars in the Palm Beach/Eagle Beach/Oranjestad areas.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank VistaDelSol
Reviewed 23 March 2010

Stayed at the Ocean Club the second week in March, 2010, as we do evey year since we own timeshare. This yr I got to witness the renovations and they were great. Lobby is updated, kitchens are sleek, and the bathroom is an upgrade. I slept on the pull out couch which, unfortunately was not good. I was hoping they would've improved the pull outs but...the beach was not as crowded as last year but the weather was unusually hot and humid. Long lines at 6:30 to get a hut at 7am when they opened for reservations. But no worries, met nice people while we waited. Last yr I rented from the Surf Club and was glad to go back to the OC where the kids were at minimum and was much quieter and relaxing. OC staff was nice as usual with the exception of one rude conceriage, but I took it as their problem not mine. I wouldn't let one rude person ruin my tranquilty. Love that the shopping and restaurants are all a short walk through the Surf Club pool area, since I was on my own an extremely kind pool waiter walked me to the shopping area as it was getting dark and I was a bit nervous. The kindness of strangers is alive and well at the Marriott...

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank mleajanko
Reviewed 24 February 2010

I had booked the Ocean Club months ago because I wanted to get away during the kids' Presidents Week break and needed a lot of space with two daughters and my dad plus the hubby. I spent hrs reading reviews all recounting the horrors of palapa bookings... getting up at 5am, not having a place to lay down especially during the dreaded busy times such as Xmas and presidents' day.
Well, I don't understand what people are making the big deal over. We arrived in the middle of President's week, did not get to the beach until 2:30pm and had a palapa booked for the next day! I don't understand why people who are spending thousands on a resort vacation feel the need to get up at 5am to save $10-15 that a previous day palapa reservation costs. I mean, by all means, if that's what you want to do at 7am, great but don't make it sound that like is the only way to obtain shade.
So we had no problems booking palapas ahead of time. Of course,for the first day we had one toward the back but by day 2 and 3 we were in the front row.
And again, contrary to others' reviews, there are plenty of lounge chairs that you can place around the beach if you don't have a palapa.
It was busy but not crazy by any stretch of the imagination. We had a lovely time, enjoyed the beach and the pool. The La Vista restaurant at the main Marriott has pretty good food such as a lobster buffet on Saturdays. The dinner buffet and show on Mon at the Ocean Club pool restaurant Pavilion is quite nice.
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse at the marriott is very pricey but had better steaks than some of the other Ruth's I have been to around NYC.
And, of course, accomodations were great - we had a modern two bedroom unit with two baths, kitchen, big living room, jacuzzi tub and a very comfortable bed with good linens.
And, like the previous reviewer, I also managed to leave something behind - my kids' winter jackets!! (I am blaming my husband, the packer). And they are promptly shipping them back to me as well.
Recommend Marriott Ocean club!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
9  Thank ilasik
Reviewed 21 February 2010

Recently returned from the Marriott and discovered after I arrived home that I has forgotten to remove my precious jewelry from safe in the room. Contacted the resort and within 10 days had my jewelry back! I highly recommend this resort for the superb service given to me regarding the jewelry. Oh, and yes the room was clean and the bed extremely comfortable. I will be returning to this resort again!

Stayed: February 2010
3  Thank mitch826
Reviewed 1 February 2010

this was a time share exchange,and we chose the wrong week. the resort was over run with people from brooklyn. rude, annoying and nasty people.avoid the last week in jan. the first week in feb.i understand that these people are banned from hotels in aruba, so they bought time shares here. they are on school break from yeshiva schools. besides that aruba was great, beach, sun and warm water life is good.someone above us deceided to move chairs around on the tile floor at 4 am, woke us up 3 nights in a row. make sure you do not exchange your weeks for this time frame

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank snydes4
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Second time to Aruba; first time we stayed in the low-rise secion at the La Cabana which was awful. This time we stayed in the high-rise section and there is no comparison. Rooms were great (1 bedroom suite), no problem renting a palapa on the beach, food just OK, weather outstanding. Staff was excellent and friendly. Recommend Madam Jenettes for the food and atmosphere and El Gaucho for the best steak you will ever have. Cab rides are all within 15 min and about 10 bucks. Marriott Stellaris Casino right next door; new, modern, and some low ante tables. Had best island beach resort vacation ever; you always know what you're getting with Marriott (cleaniliness, service, great accomodations, etc) and with Aruba (constant sunshine, rarely rains, constant cool breeze). Nightlife not so great for my teenagers but they took a cab into town and had some fun.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family