“Nicely remodeled!”

Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed 15 April 2010

We own a villa here at the Ocean Club. We have been going ot Aruba for the past 5 years sometimes with our kids, sometimes without. We have stayed at the Stellaris and Surf Club as well. While our 10 and 8yr olds prefer the Surf Club (only because of Lazy River), my wife and I prefer the Ocean Club because it is smaller and less crowded. They recently remodeled and the place is even nicer than it was before. If I had one complaint it was the servers at the pool bar. I think they prefer to get cash tips in lieu of you putting the tip on your room charge. I saw one guess pay cash tips and his drink never took long and was filled to the brim. Great property!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank JLubas
There are newer reviews for Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club

Reviewed 15 April 2010

Very nice, pretty much like every other Marriott Timeshare. The check in process was slow as always on Saturday, but once we got to the counter, we got a room right away. We stayed in on the 4th floor, room 5447/5448. It's in the main portion of the building with a nice resort view and far enough away from the noise around the pool. If you don't need the ocean front room, this location is not bad, maybe you want to be a floor or two up to get the view over the palm trees. The rooms are big and the beds are comfortable. It would be nice to have two doubles beds in one room and a King in the other, but in our case, the fold out couches worked just as fine. The towel supply is adequate and the starter kit in the kitchen is pretty good.
There is a nice little coffee shop downstairs right in front of our elevators which is a great place to pick up breakfast or an evening ice cream. The restaurants and services around the resorts are plenty, the quality is what you would expect from Marriott. - Not quite a Four-Seasons, but far above Best-Western or Holiday-Inn. We enjoyed the lobby bar in the Hotel part and the simply fish restaurant on the beach. The buffet at La Vista were a bit pricy for the quality offered. We really enjoyed our dinner at the Moomba-Boomba (or something similar sounding), right next door to the Marriott. Champions Sports bar was O.K. for quality and REALLY BAD for service. Once when the bar was full we waited over an hour for our food, the other time, with the bar empty, nobody showed up to get us another drink and getting the bill was impossible. We left the restaurant, leaving an estimated amount of money on the table.

The pools were good but not spectacular , getting a palapa or beach chairs was no problem at all enven though the hotel was pretty booked.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank BigCityCowboy
Reviewed 31 March 2010

Just came back from a week at the Ocean Club in Aruba with my husband celebrating our 27th anniv ersary. I have been to all the islands....this was the best!! The hotel and rooms were very clean. The beaches were gorgeous. Warm soft sand and calm waters to swim in. Lots of beach and water activities if thats what your in to. I never have been to a resort that you had to rent the cabanas but it actuallly worked out well. When you arrive...go straight to the towel shack on the beach and rent your cabanas for the week. Wear # 50 lotion to start out as the sun is strong. The food and drinks are VERY expensive. There is a grocery store a short cab ride away and barbecue pits if you want to prepare your own meals. One complimentary cleaning and towel replacement per week...unless you pay for daily service. Lastly, plan on getting to the airport three hours early. Its very busy and slow. Have a great vacation!!! If I had the $ I would have purchased the timeshare deal.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jdubrule
Reviewed 30 March 2010

My husband and I decided to take a couples weekend for some much needed sun and had the perfect long weekend! This establishment, while part of the Marriott Chain, has done a wonderful job of showing itself as a luxury resort and catering to those in need of being pampered. The grounds are gorgeous, the views exquisite, and the rooms display a tastful tropical decor. We were very pleased with our choice although there are certainly several other great options in the vicinity. I think if I were to repeat this trip as an adult only weekend I would perhaps seek a quieter retreat but otherwise a great stay.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank familyfunMA
Reviewed 30 March 2010

Aruba is basically a desert landscape with dry, rocky, cactus-covered land. A strong wind blows across the island day and night providing cooling breezes (and bad hair). It's not really a pretty island, but the sea is a beautiful turquoise color and the beaches are white sand. I think the Marriott properties are the best places to stay on this island, possibly the Hyatt too. We spent a week in a 2 bedroom 2 bath ocean view unit at Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club on a timeshare exchange. Units have been renovated with granite counters, stainless appliances, tropical decor. Lobby and grounds are attractive. Beach is great. In fact, I noticed that the beach and pool at The Ocean Club had more space and were not as crowded as its sister timeshare Surf Club next door, so we were able to enjoy a leisurely and relaxing time all week. For your first night, I recommend dinner at Simply Fish right there on the beach between the Ocean Club and Marriott Hotel. Put your toes in the sand and enjoy the Caribbean sunset. Next day, if you're new to Aruba, take a half-day tour around the island to see the "sights" (there aren't too many!). We went on a bus tour with De Palm Tours and it was OK. Not wonderful, but good enough to learn some of the local customs and see whatever landmarks the island has to offer. Other days, do some snorkeling or scuba diving to see the fish in the reefs and shipwrecks that ring the island. Or go shopping a bit -- though prices are high. At night, there are many, many good restaurants and bars in the Palm Beach/Eagle Beach/Oranjestad areas.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank VistaDelSol
Reviewed 23 March 2010

Stayed at the Ocean Club the second week in March, 2010, as we do evey year since we own timeshare. This yr I got to witness the renovations and they were great. Lobby is updated, kitchens are sleek, and the bathroom is an upgrade. I slept on the pull out couch which, unfortunately was not good. I was hoping they would've improved the pull outs but...the beach was not as crowded as last year but the weather was unusually hot and humid. Long lines at 6:30 to get a hut at 7am when they opened for reservations. But no worries, met nice people while we waited. Last yr I rented from the Surf Club and was glad to go back to the OC where the kids were at minimum and was much quieter and relaxing. OC staff was nice as usual with the exception of one rude conceriage, but I took it as their problem not mine. I wouldn't let one rude person ruin my tranquilty. Love that the shopping and restaurants are all a short walk through the Surf Club pool area, since I was on my own an extremely kind pool waiter walked me to the shopping area as it was getting dark and I was a bit nervous. The kindness of strangers is alive and well at the Marriott...

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank mleajanko
Reviewed 24 February 2010

I had booked the Ocean Club months ago because I wanted to get away during the kids' Presidents Week break and needed a lot of space with two daughters and my dad plus the hubby. I spent hrs reading reviews all recounting the horrors of palapa bookings... getting up at 5am, not having a place to lay down especially during the dreaded busy times such as Xmas and presidents' day.
Well, I don't understand what people are making the big deal over. We arrived in the middle of President's week, did not get to the beach until 2:30pm and had a palapa booked for the next day! I don't understand why people who are spending thousands on a resort vacation feel the need to get up at 5am to save $10-15 that a previous day palapa reservation costs. I mean, by all means, if that's what you want to do at 7am, great but don't make it sound that like is the only way to obtain shade.
So we had no problems booking palapas ahead of time. Of course,for the first day we had one toward the back but by day 2 and 3 we were in the front row.
And again, contrary to others' reviews, there are plenty of lounge chairs that you can place around the beach if you don't have a palapa.
It was busy but not crazy by any stretch of the imagination. We had a lovely time, enjoyed the beach and the pool. The La Vista restaurant at the main Marriott has pretty good food such as a lobster buffet on Saturdays. The dinner buffet and show on Mon at the Ocean Club pool restaurant Pavilion is quite nice.
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse at the marriott is very pricey but had better steaks than some of the other Ruth's I have been to around NYC.
And, of course, accomodations were great - we had a modern two bedroom unit with two baths, kitchen, big living room, jacuzzi tub and a very comfortable bed with good linens.
And, like the previous reviewer, I also managed to leave something behind - my kids' winter jackets!! (I am blaming my husband, the packer). And they are promptly shipping them back to me as well.
Recommend Marriott Ocean club!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family