“Magical Ahhhhruba!”

Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed 18 September 2010

Second time at the Ocean Club and we loved it just as much as the first. Traded in through II and celebrated our anniversary there. The rooms are beautiful. Fully stocked kitchens. We brought food in from the states as food there is very expensive as are the grocery stores. I just went to Sams, bought some really good frozen entrees, luch meat, etc. wrapped them in news paper and put them into a thermal carry bag in a suitcase and we were good to go. Dinner took only minutes. We only ate out once at the Stellaris and it was very good but I loved sitting on our balcony in the evenings with a glass of wine and enjoy our dinners. The view just couldn't be more beautiful than the waters in Aruba. I even brought a battery operated candle so we dined by candlelight! We also brought rum. Packed it in the suitcase. Kept our bar bill down. They do offer happy hour but they need to put a little more liquor in the drinks. I heard this from several people who ordered them so it wasn't just us. If you bring something to drink don't forget your mixers (crystal lite punch and coconut rum mixed with regular rum is fab and travels well)
and don't forget an insulated mug to bring your drink with you to the beach.

There is not alot to do in Aruba other than relax (just what I needed) or go to the casinos (made my deposits)
We took long walks along the beach and took in the most amazing sunsets....perfect!
This resort is wonderful and we will be back again. Its great for couples who just want to relax and spend vacation time in paradise.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LisaMarie063
Write a ReviewReviews (1,251)

996 - 1,002 of 1,251 reviews

Reviewed 14 September 2010

Just returned from a one week stay at the Ocean Club. Traded in our week at Myrtle Beach for a stay in Aruba. This is our 2nd time in Aruba. Our first was at the Marriott Stellaris (hotel using points - extremely nice, also). Our rooms were very clean, the most comfortable bedding, very spacious and our bathroom was also very clean and nice. I understand the rooms were updated a year ago. The lobby is beautiful with lots of glass chandeliers and there's also small shops. A convenient little store for those items you forgot to bring. The pool is very nice, but not a large pool. There's a swim-up bar. The grounds are superb and beautiful. Many tiki huts on the beach to sit under. All you have to do is reserve one, they are free. Some are rented at $15 a day. It's very hot there, you'll want one. Aruba constantly has a breeze at all times. Ocean club guests can also use the Marriott Stellaris facilities (next door). Shopping is close by. Walk up the beach, cut through the Playa Linda hotel, at you're at all the shopping and restaurants you'll need. Make sure you eat at the Le Petit Cafe outside of Playa Linda.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tennisi11
Reviewed 11 September 2010

My trip to Aruba and my stay at the Marriott Ocean Club was absolutely fantastic. The workers were very pleasant ans helpful. The other guests were friendly. It was a very pleasant experience. My husband and I went to Aruba in the '80's and we were pleasantly surprised with the transformation. We were able to rest on the beach with no problem. We dined very well, thanks to recommendations from this website! We are already planning to go back next year with friends.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cookincheri
Reviewed 25 August 2010

We travel to Aruba every year at least once and this continues to be one of our favorite resorts to stay at - same with its sister property Marriott Surf Club.
We traded into the Ocean Club with Interval International- We secured a 1BD with our trade. Our trip was 11 days of which 7 were at the Ocean Club. Since our O.C. stay was at the end of our vacation I had my fingers crossed that I could get an early check in- thanks to Hank at the front desk and my ability to over look whatever location they had available regardless of view or floor. I was in my room by 1PM when check in was 4PM. Our room was on the 2nd floor with a balcony view of the Surf Club and a slight Ocean view. The room was freshly remodeled and looked much more spacious than the last time we stayed. The furnishings were all brand new as best as I could tell. I remember telling my husband the only thing that stayed was the whirlpool tub in the master bedroom. Kitchen had great new appliances more than you really need while on vacation, but I'm not complaining. I think its worth noting that you will find dishwasher soap, dish soap, a sponge and 1 load box of TIDE under the sink to start your vacation (bring a few dryer sheets in your luggage). The only thing that I found I wanted was salt & pepper- a few packets brought from home would be plenty. There is a laundry room located at the end of the hall on the 2nd floor with 4 washers/dryers. Since its just the 2 of us traveling we don't have a full load for a few days but I personally like to do my laundry every other day- put it in before breakfast- dryer after breakfast - workout (at the very well equipt Ocean Club Fitness Center)...and on my way back to the room pick it up....Viola...laundry done! :)
A note about the Marriot properties in general, it used to be that as a Marriott Guest you could use all the Ocean Club & Surf Club Amenities, but that is no longer the case. The signs at the enterances of the Surf club have all be modified to make it clear that SURF CLUB MEMBERS ONLY! I do understand this policy having stayed at both- the Surf Club is bigger and seems to have the more popular and larger pool area vs the Ocean Club and when both properties were allowed to use whatever it was ridiculously crowded! If the pool area is a "must have" for you then you might want to book at the Surf Club. Ocean Club Pool is nice, but smaller for sure. While we were there it wasn't that crowded and plenty of chairs at the beach and pool. If you must visit the Surf Pool while staying at the Ocean Club, I overheard a staff member at the Ocean Club tell a guest that if they were going to visit friends at the Surf Club they shouldn't bring there towels (they are color coded) you will be asked to leave if you don't have the Surf Club towels at that pool and vice versa. You need to reserve (no charge) a palapa on the beach, they will allow you too pick from what's open. I went out at about 10am and although I got one farther from the ocean, it was quiet and gave me the same shade as those up by the water so it was perfect! Another note about the segregation of the 2 resorts the Surf Club IMO has the better Fitness Center. We last stayed there 2 years ago and all the equipment was brand new then, however the Ocean Club has brand new treadmills with TV's on each- and its still just as clean as always. You can visit and charge to your room at all the shops ect regardless where you booked at.
We didn't eat at any of the restaurants at the Marriott this trip, but the little deli they have there has some nice quick take outs. Casino was a always busy and cold... After all day in the sun I need a sweater in the casino.
Palm Beach is growing like crazy... we went to Senor Frogs just to say we went. Drinks are plenty and strong- entertainment is YOU if you choose to join in - food is good- We had a Nacho Plate for 2 and it was better than what we expected, but that's all we got as it was a late dinner. Browse the malls after eating there are plenty of stores between the 2 HUGE open air malls. We catch a movie once in awhile- friend of ours told us about the cheap movie nights (Tues & Wed nights) Half of what we pay at home for the 2 of us- concessions where just as reasonable... I think for less than $20 we got the movie, popcorn and soda... the theaters are very nice- new of course, smaller than what we are used to, and they are FULL every showing on the cheaper nights- buy your tickets at the box office early. I bought my tickets at 5PM for the 9PM show.
Overall we didn't encounter any issues at the Ocean Club or in Aruba! If I can help anyone out with more specifics let me know...happy to help!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Time4Scuba
Reviewed 15 August 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott Ocean Club for a week in early August 2010. We have stayed in many time shares before and I ahve got to say Marriott does it right with their service and the condo ammenities are first rate.

The OceanClub is nice, but the "strip" of hotels where it is located is a mob scene. If you like crowds and rude east people, then this is the place for you. Many people were rude to the staff and not friendly. Relax Magda from There's Something About Mary, you are on vacation. They tell you that people get out on the beach at 630 AM to rserve the huts. I mean you can if you want to waste your time, but there are alwyas huts available just 10 feet from the ocean, and they are still available by 10AM.

Positives: the Mariott properties are the last ones on the "strip" and just beside a really nice stretch of private beach. Overall a good trip with great weather, but just too crowded for us. Low rises are probably the better option next time.

Cons: People everywhere, crowded, not a ton of beach, no privacy.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank pconnolly04
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We spent 4 nights (7/4-7/8) at the Ocean Club during our two-week vacation in the Dutch Caribbean. We rented a two-bedroom unit directly through Marriott.com and received approximately 10% AAA-member discount. Our unit was located on the second floor, facing the pool, and very close to the elevator. We agree with the previous reviews that the walls are pretty thin but luckily none of our neighbors are into late-night parties. The units were recently renovated and everything looks brand new. The kitchen has everything we need and the jetted tub in the master bedroom is a bonus. The décor was very tastefully done and very comfortable.

While we were there, the Ocean Club is completing the last phase of its renovation. We heard that almost all the interior was done, however, we did receive a written notice one night that there would be workers coming to our unit to update the air conditioning units the next day from 10am to 3pm. We were annoyed but since we were at the pool/beach all day it was not a big deal. We did pop in from time to time and saw the hotel security standing by the door while the workers were working. We were told the renovation should be completely finished by the fall.

The weather was gorgeous while we were there. Warm, breezy, but not too hot. There is a mall (Palm Beach Plaza) and lots of restaurants within 10-minute walk to the Marriott (or you can take the cab for $6 if you don't feel like walking). We were surprised that Aruba (at least around Palm Beach where the Marriott is) is extremely expensive, probably in the same league as Hawaii. Our bill (other than the room charge) for 3 lunches at the poolside restaurant, grocery shopping at the convenient store next to the lobby, and snacks and drinks at the pool is more than $500 for a family of four!! We went to the Hyatt for dinner one night and another night we went to a Mexican restaurant at Palm Beach Plaza. Both are quite pricey as well.

We spent most of our time at the Marriott complex. Since we already did a lot of activities in Curacao we felt that we just wanted to relax and enjoy the last few days of our Caribbean vacation. There are many water activity tents dotting the beach in front the Marriott complex and least 3 activity booths in front of Ocean Club alone. We did the banana boat with the activity booth right next to palapa #101, with a "jet ski" banner. The banana boat was $20 per person. They then sent a boat to come pick us up to another dock near the Hyatt for the ride. The used the same boat to tow the banana boat so we gave the boat driver a good tip since we had a great ride. They can book all sorts of activities for you like jet ski, parasailing kite-sailing etc. I think the booth are all the same acting as a middle man so pick whatever one that is closest to you.

The beach area in front the Ocean Club was very nice for family with small children as it was only waist-deep and virtually had no waves. We paid $15 to reserve a beach palapa but learnt quickly that there was really no need as there were plenty of free palapas even in late mornings. The kids swan in the ocean everyday but prefer the pool in the afternoons. One could try to snorkel off the beach but you are not likely to see very much. Overall snorkeling in Aruba was inferior to that of Curacao. However, the variety and choices of water sports and the quality of beach services and accommodations is by far superior and more luxurious in Aruba.

We did the Jolly Pirate ship afternoon 3- hr snorkeling tour and my kids had a great time – snorkeling to see the WW2 shipwreck Antilles was fun and the rope-swing jumping into the sea was a blast. Although the free drink on the boat was nothing to speak of. We booked the pirate ship ride at the activity desk right in the lobby at the Ocean Club. Jolly pirate was about $40 per adult and $25 for kids and the activity booth can book for you as well. However, I don't feel comfortable giving someone tending the booth on the beach cash or my credit card for an activity that does not take place until the next day - they are nice people and perfectly legit, but I am just being very cautious guarding my credit card info. So I booked it at the activity desk at the lobby in the Ocean Club.

The Ocean Club has daily activities posted on their newsletter. We went to the 10am iguana feeding at the Iguana Sanctuary between the Surf Club and Ocean Club (It's free!!) and it was lots of fun! There were iguanas and geckos running around the pools and we had to look down when we got off the lounge chair to make sure we did not step on an iguana.

It was overall a very pleasant trip. The Ocean Club is a lot less crowded and quieter than the Surf Club and felt a lot more relaxing. Since our kids didn’t care that much about water slides (there are several water parks near where we live, including a brand new one at Legoland San Diego) we chose to stay at the Ocean Club and it was a perfect choice to conclude our two-week vacation in the Dutch Caribbean.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank vintage2002mom
Reviewed 4 August 2010

In short... Air conditioning always is on, never a piece of trash on the ground, never see someone frowning, in the best location, right between windsurfing/kite surfing and shopping/bars, beautiful pool and beach, always helpful, AMAZING wildlife right around the hotel (iguanas roam free everywhere), casino is more than enough fun for a couple nights, Mooba's (a local bar) right on the beach, car rentals in the hotel to take wherever you want (CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP), o and food is out of this world amazing (pricey but fantastic)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family