“Another Wonderful Stay AT The Phoenix”

Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
staten island new york
“Another Wonderful Stay AT The Phoenix”
Reviewed 30 April 2011

We just returned from our second visit this year from the Divi Phoenix. As always the friendly staff and great service are there. We would not consider staying any place else. We enjoy a great breakfast at the restaurant on the beach each morning and lunch at the Pure Beach restaurant. At night we like to eat out at the great restaurants Aruba has to offer, e.g. Windows on Aruba, Passions on the Beach and Chalet Swisse. The cab drivers are always so pleasant and reasonable. Beautiful weather and great fun .

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
  • Finnish first
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Divi Phoenix is a beautiful resort. A great place to relax, enjoy the sun & great restaurants.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I stayed at Divi Aruba Pheonix for a short weekend in March.

Large, comfortable and clean room. I had a balcony overlooking the pool and with a view of the ocean which was lovely. When I arrived I was given an upgrade to a 1 bedroom from a studio and it was great.

The beach is clean and peaceful. The food at the pool bar was good and the staff was friendly. The bartender was willing to experiment with cocktails. On Saturday nights there is a band by the pool that plays 80s, 90s & todays cover tunes, which was fun.

Overall a good time. I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Reviewed 20 April 2011

My friends and I stayed for a week in the 2BR Penthouse Suite. The rooms were decorated nicely and we had a wonderful view from both balconies of the ocean, beach and pool. The grounds are kept nicely. We didnt have any problems with musty odors in our room. We made sure we kept the doors shut to the balconies as the signs stated. The beach we awesome. It wasnt crowded as the beach in further down toward the all the high rise hotels and de palm pier area (Westin, Riu, etc) We could always find a palapa on the beach. We didnt spend much time at the pool but it was very nice. We did use the swim up bar a few times. We ate at pure beach a couple nights and celebrated friends bday there. It was very nice and the service and food were awesome. I would definitely come back here again. We are all planning to make this an annual trip. We did rent a jeep for 2 days to visit baby beach and the natural pool and a few other beaches. Baby beach was awesome! We opted to go the natural pool ourselves and not do a tour. It was wild getting there but so much fun. I can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank JR J
new jersey
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We have stayed at the Divi Phoenix quite a few times and will be going back in July. The resort has beautiful new suites and are kept very nice, which is where we like to stay. Pure beach restaurant has excellent food and really nice choices. The pool has a swim up bar which is really nice. The beach is absoutley fabulous. You can walk down the beach to restaurants, casinos, night life and come back to peace and quit. I find it is in a less busy area being the last of the high rises so there is no extra traffic on the beach. It isn't crowded. You really can relax and enjoy. The people are really friendly. We are addicted to this place and feel it is a home away from home.

Room Tip: ask for the new section, they are all really nice.
  • Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
North Jersey
Reviewed 15 April 2011

Before describing our stay, I'd like to being by saying a little about myself and my family. My husband and I are in our late 30s/early 40s from the Northeast. We have two small boys (3 & 6). We are not big drinkers, gamblers or partiers and we go to Aruba to relax. This was our third trip to the island and my father-in-law joined us. We also had a rental car so that we could make trips to the supermarkets and ensure that our kids had carseats.
The resort is very pleasant and has good amenities. There's a kiddie pool with a beach entrance, a swim-up bar, very nice pool, barbeque area, hot tubs, internet cafe, gym, large patio areas, gift shop with snacks/grocery items, 24 hour deli. The pool area is very pleasant and nice looking. It's not beautiful like the Hyatt or the Radisson in that it doesn't have winding paths and lush landscaping-- just pool and patio. For our purposes, this is a good thing because we want to be able to see our kids at all times. The PureBeach restaurant has a second floor which is used for timeshare presentations and unfortunately blocked some of our view of the beach. Higher floors may not have that issue (we were on floor two of the second building). The beach is beautiful and private compared to the other hotels in the high-rise area. In my opinion, it's the best beach of the high-rise hotels. I've walked from the Phoenix to the Marriott and gotten to see them all and most of the pool areas as well. The beach at the Phoenix is the least crowded and most private because there are no neighboring hotels. Having compared the Phoenix to the rest of the high-rise hotels, the most striking difference is the size and proximity of the rooms to the pool and the beach. At the Phoenix, the pool is literally steps from the rooms and since the pool area is not tremendously large, the beach is not terribly far away. In some of the hotels like the RIU Palace and the Marriott, the resorts are overwhelmingly large with the rooms that are very far from the pool.
I found the service to be very good at the Phoenix. The housecleaning is adequate but they don't clean the rooms every day. It seemed like the housekeepers picked up the garbage, replaced the towels and dishtowels but that's about it on a daily basis. The concierge was very helpful with making dinner reservations and answering questions and maintenance was very quick to come when we had an issue. We ate at the PureBeach restaurant one night and enjoyed it very much. The ambiance can't be beat since it's right on the beach and food was very good and reasonably priced since it's possible to get a very good sandwich for about $10.
Our room was great.. We had one of the larger one bedrooms on the second floor which means that our balcony was larger than most and not adjacent to anyone else's. There is a musty odor in the unit but one gets used to it rather quickly and having the a/c on seems to help as well. We had two bathrooms which were beautiful but the water leaks out under the shower door, one bedroom with king bed, flat screen tv, living room with pull out queen sleeper sofa, large flat screent tv, dining area, washer/dryer, granite kitchen with dishwasher, fridge, electric stovetop and a convection microwave oven. We cooked all of our meals except dinner and were able to make a variety of things to eat with the equipment that was on hand.
The location of the Phoenix was fine for us because we had a rental car. It's also possible to walk to the restaurants and casinos at the shopping centers and the other hotels. The closest casino is at the RIU ,but you have to walk up a steep driveway which may be a problem for some people. If you're looking for a lot of action/nightlife at the resort where you're staying, the Phoenix may not be for you but if you're traveling with kids, the Phoenix is a great option.

Room Tip: all the rooms face the beach and/or pool.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank BeenThereWithKids
Merrimack, New Hampshire
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Just got back from Aruba, we vacationed there from April 3-8. My wife and I are very easy going people and it does not take much to please us. We are from the Northeast, and the ocean/beaches where I live freeze your ankles off when you walk in the water, so we had big expectations for Aruba. I have been to Honolulu so this is what I was comparing to. Next time, I will deal with the 12 hour flight to Hawaii and skip Aruba. The wind in Aruba this time of year was gusting at nearly 30mph all day long, you felt like you were getting sand blasted when you wanted to sit out on the beach. So we sat near the pool, which was nice, but come on, this was Aruba, I can sit by a pool any place, and forget getting a chair if you didn't reserve one by 7am. The hotel was alright. I felt they and the rest of the island were lacking in simple "service" expectations, like refills on drinks, getting the check when you are done eating, not getting syrup when you order breakfast ( happened at Salt and Pepper ) etc. etc. The rooms were nice, we stayed in room 621 in the new towers, no problem with mold or anything, the rooms do have a little mildew smell, but it was not that bad. The hotel is a big time share resort, you will get asked a few times about wanting a tour, if this is your thing great, it was not mine and I did not enjoy being asked while I was vacationing. The Pure Beach Bar by the main pool was ok, the staff cannot handle when things get busy, often bickering in front of you. The breakfast buffet at the Sunset Beach Bistro was alright, they had pancakes, french toast and an egg station and that was about it. Again the service level was not up to my standard and you were lucky to get refills on your morning oj. Maybe my expectations for Aruba were simply too high. I have talked with many friends who have gone and have had a blast, the one difference, they stayed at other properties. Senor Frogs and The Texas De Brazil steakhouse were highlights, great places, I would highly recommend them to anyone, as for the hotel, don't waste your money, stay at another resort, maybe an all inclusive, or better yet, go to Hawaii.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple