“The Divi”

Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Michigan
“The Divi”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Loved this resort! The pictures on Tripadvisor are exactly what you see. The unit was nicely furnished with kitchen necessities to make any meals. Grills are easily available, never had to wait. The view from our unit was magnificent. We stay in the tall building which I believe is called the Towers. Through conversations @ the beach and around the pool we found out that many people have been coming to that resort for 5 plus years and go back year after year. I can see why the people are so friendly, easy to drum up a conversation with anyone.
Went away with making new friendships that we even exchanged phone numbers with.
We Highly recommend this resort. Hope to go back sometime.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean, but the lower floors in the villas have a hard time seeing the ocean becau...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank raesueMichigan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (633)
  • Finnish first
Framingham, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Just spent five nights (April 2014) at the Divi Aruba Phoenix resort, and here's my humble review (and reasoning for four stars):

Our check-in was a bit rocky, but John/Lam and Max at the front desk helped to make it better. We were assigned a ground floor 1BR in the old tower, but ended up paying an upgrade fee to stay in a nicer room in the new tower. Trust us, it's a big improvement since we did see the quality of the first room in the old tower (OLDER 1BR with 1 1/2 baths). We were told that the rooms in the old tower were scheduled for renovations starting in May 2014, so doubt we would upgrade in the future. The 1BR that we were assigned to had two full baths, granite counters and stainless steel appliances. There was also a washer/dryer combination unit. The room was about 600 sq feet, clean and had a nice balcony. I believe all rooms have a great view of the ocean, so no complaints there.

The hotel property is clean with nice pools and plenty of lounge chairs. It's a bit of bear reserving a palapas/hut in the morning IF you want an ideal location, but we were able to get one nevertheless. There are about 75 palapas/huts situated along the beach, and about 10 more around the pools - one main pool, one kiddie pool, and one pool with a swim-up to the bar. There's also a whirlpool. The hotel uses a towel card exchange program which allows you to obtain one beach towel per card, and be warned that if you don't return the card at check-out, you will be charged $25 per card.

Located on Palm Beach, it was not too crowded, and you are about a 10 minute walk to the high-rise hotel restaurants near the Radisson, Occidental, etc. It's best to walk along the beach, but be warned that it's a bit dark walking past the former Westin hotel (which was purchased by the next door neighbor, RIU). Nevertheless, a pretty easy walk, and there is a police station located between the former Westin hotel and the Divi Aruba Phoenix. We walked to restaurants via the Radisson hotel.

Lunch at the Pure Beach restaurant was so-so, but dinner at the Pure Ocean restaurant was well worth it. There is a breakfast buffet at Pure Ocean which we enjoyed as well. Wait service at the restaurants were fine

Staff at the Divi Aruba Phoenix was fine and friendly. Special kudos out to Max at the front desk, Carmen at the towel hut, and Shelo the bell captain.

So why the four star rating: The king bed was awful and springy. Also, the dresser drawers looked worn down. Televisions are manufactured by Sanyo, and in my humble opinion, if this is a representation of a "timeshare" room, why cheap out on the electronics? Although I mentioned stainless steel appliances, the Whirlpool dishwasher was extremely loud and indicative of a base model. I definitely would not use it; unless, you are not in the room. Since we were wondering, we were told that the timeshares are being sold in the range of $25k to $40k, why cheap out on the appliances, electronics and bedding? If you are interested in a timeshare presentation, its about a hour, and they provide free breakfast or equivalent incentive - we skipped all of that and asked for pricing.

Overall, we cannot complain - Aruba is a fun place to visit and stay for rest and relaxation. The weather is a comfortable 80s, and the tradewinds make it appear cooler. Don't forget the sunscreen!! The Divi Aruba Phoenix may not be a Marriott or Hyatt Regency, but it is a high quality hotel to consider and stay at. We would definitely consider going back to this hotel, and it's a good value for the money spent.

Room Tip: Make sure to include the Aruba "One Happy Family" program to your reservation - nice perks...
2 Thank Family01701
USA
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

This has been my families 6th time staying at the Phoenix. Location is right on the beach. The rooms are very clean. Never had an issue with anyone but the only thing I wish the resort had would be a Kids area or a playground. They plan daily activities but no designated kids area. The wifi that the resort gives to all guests is horrible but overall experience is still a 5. Can't wait for next year.

• Stayed April 2014
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I have been going to Aruba for 25 years. I own a timeshare at the Aruba Phoenix. I have stayed at other resorts over the years but the Aruba Phoenix is the best! Was there this past March for two weeks and had a wonderful time.....as always. The grounds are very clean as are the rooms. Pools are cleaned everyday. I own a studio room in the Villas which is one of the older buildings. These rooms are being renovated this year. I also own a one bedroom in the newer Beach Towers. Room is beautiful. Very modern and spacious. Maid service is good. There is a new system for reserving huts on the beach. Yes, there are a number of guests that were in line at 4:30 am so that they could get a specific hut. I personally got out there around 6:30 . Towel hut opens at 7 am and starts giving out the hut numbers at that time. I was able to get the same hut every day for two weeks. Guests who came after 7 am were still able to get a hut. The best part of the Aruba Phoenix and one of the reasons I keep going back there is the staff. Being greeted by the front desk with "Welcome Home" brings a smile to my face! They go out of their way to help you. Check in is easy. Of course, Saturdays are really busy but they do their best to accommodate everyone in a timely manner. The restaurants and bar are very good. I love Karaoke night at the Pure Beach Bar. Always a great time.
Special shout out to some very special people at the Phoenix. Julio, who keeps the pool clean. Rosy, who works in the sales department. She is my Timeshare representative. Always a pleasure to talk with her. She keeps my posted on all of the latest updates. All of the front desk personnel, especially Yvette. Always greet you with a warm smile. Go out of their way to assist you.
Special recognition to Pearl Lake and Pedro Vargas. Pedro can be seen walking the grounds every day making sure everything is okay. Pearl is always at the front desk talking to guests and taking care of them. She always stops to talk to you making you feel like family. They are both always willing to listen to any suggestions you may have. I consider Pearl, Pedro, and the rest of the Aruba Phoenix Staff my extended family.
If your looking for a great vacation spot, look no further than the Aruba Phoenix!!
I'm already counting the days till I'm back "home" at the Aruba Phoenix.
Karen H. from Chicago

Room Tip: If your looking for a great view get a room in the Beach Towers. 4th floor or higher.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karen H
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at Divi Phoenix in March 2014 with another couple...our best friends. The resort is a great place and we had no problems with service, amenities, and we had a great time overall. Do yourself a favor and try to get your room in the newer towers as the rooms are more up to date and have a better view of sunsets! The bars and restaurants were fantastic. Another 'do yourself a favor' is have dinner on the beach at sunset at the Pure Ocean. Great food and fantastic view. If I had to complain about anything, it would be a slightly long walk from the hotel to the restaurants and shops. However, it is about 6 bucks in cab fare to the end of the strip and well worth it once you get tired of walking! Lastly, to the resort...make internet access in the lobby free. That would be a nice amenity, especially for someone trying to print their boarding passes!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ddills2
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I have stayed at the Marriott Hotel & Ocean Club, the Occidental Grand, Holiday Inn and the Westin (now closed and becoming part of the Riu). While all are great places, my favorite was the Divi Phoenix. We had a great room, 1 bedroom suite overlooking the pool and the service could not have been better -even better than the Marriott. It is a little further down Palm Beach than I have stayed in the past but the walking didn't bother me at all.

In fact we all loved it so much the family purchased a timeshare. I can't wait to go back and see some of my friends. I found it to be the best value on the island for being very nice yet still affordable as compared to the Ritz/Hyatt/Marriott.

4 Thank Jim H
North Smithfield, Rhode Island
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We have been coming here for years and it keeps getting better and better. The people are very nice to deal with and friendly.the only thing I find was I would rather the breakfast not be Buffett style..too exspensive for people who just want a light side of bacon and one egg.
I have to say what I liked the most this year was their new water aerobics instructor Marshall! He makes it last 1 hour vs the 1/2 hr by others..He makes it fun as well as when you are done you feel wonderful..he is a positive happy
reason who makes everyone laugh while working out.
The property is well kept and very clean.we will be back next year agin for 3 weeks

Room Tip: All rooms are good.they will be updating the older part of the towers by next year
3 Thank 456Donna1947
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Divi Aruba Phoenix Beach Resort? Share your experiences!