“Convenient location but substandard accomodations”

Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa
Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Pros: 1 block away from beach in Palm Beach shopping area
Relatively inexpensive for Aruba’s standards
Large pool
Cons: Room was dirty (floor under beds was not swiped)
Noisy AC and hissing noise from water pipes
Safe did not work and door did not close properly

This hotel was our only option given our late booking. For ~$200 we would have expected a clean room, whereas we found the prior guests’ breakfast cereals and trash under the beds. At night you had to contend with a noisy AC and a hissing sound coming from the cold water tap tubing. The tap was also dripping. In fact, when we first got into the room the cold water was off at the valve. The safe did not work. They sent a maintenance person but of all the combinations I tried to lock the safe, only the one the guy used to demonstrate its function worked. Overall the hotel seemed in need of maintenance and thorough carpet cleaning. Breakfast included coffee, juice and local cornbread or other bread product. Again, we did not have a choice and we were walking distance to Palm Beach so we stuck with this hotel, but I would not return nor recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank EnricoNovelli
There are newer reviews for Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Thank you Brickell Bay for another great vacation. This is my 2nd or 3rd review on The Brickell Bay Beach Club and my experience here keeps getting better and better. You can't say enough about the management and the staff, they treat you like family and the location is the best on Palm Beach.....again location..location..location. The rooms are very clean and accommodating, the staff can't help you enough, and the room rates are one of the best on the island. I have been traveling to Aruba for over 20 years now and return twice every year. I have stayed at many hotels over the years and they were all very good but when I found Brickell Bay many years ago I felt comfortable right from my first stay. I have watched over the years how the hotel has grown...and along with the management and staff it is one of the best hotels of choice for so many returning guests to Aruba...its like a home away from home. Thank you again for another great experience!

Room Tip: I have stayed in several different rooms and have enjoyed all of them. The beds are very comfortable...
1  Thank Ray M
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My husband & I spent a week there and ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!! The Staff is the BEST and took extremely good care of us. It was the most relaxing vacation I have ever taken. Our room was delightful! Very clean, bed sheets very comfortable. I want to give special mention to Marc/Front Desk, Abdul/Bell Hop and Helen/Spa--I consider them friends for life-AND TO JUAN/GM AND TO THE OWNERS--don't know their names. Also cannot forget the girls at Tomato Charlies who served us breakfast every morning-they were all so accomodating. When we go back to Aruba we will be staying at Brickell Bay again!

Room Tip: Our room was fine but I guess if we could have had one facing the pool that would have been better...
1  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed 14 December 2013

WOW, what a wonderful experience this was at https://www.facebook.com/Hotel.Palm.beach. When we first arrived we were very tired but still aware of how great the staff were while we checked in. I unfortunately have a few health issues so need to be wheeled around in a wheel chair which was happily provided to us from the resort. I had a coffee cup that I took to my girls in the restaurant Tomato Charlie's http://www.tomatocharlies.com/ and they would make me a wonderful coffee every day to take out touring with me and even steamed my milk. I miss those girls so very much. We actually had the pleasure of meeting the owner of the resort Mike, what a nice man. He really sounds like if you are going to do it make sure you do it right but not in a mean way he just really wants the best for this resort. We did have a small maintenance issue and it was taken care of within 20 minutes. We also spent some time with Juan the manager and he too is a really great guy, he is very determined to make the resort the best there is. He was going to take us to breakfast 1 morning and could not make it so even sent Marvel (Sales and Marketing director) in his place and she was so nice. We were not in 1 of the remodelled rooms so she took us around to see them and they are beautiful. We met beautiful Adele while we were there and she came out of the office to say goodbye to us and when she hugged me I just broke into tears as I really did not want to leave. This was the best vacation I have ever had and would go back there in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank noonefan
Reviewed 13 December 2013

The hotel and staff are extremely helpful and go out of their way to make your Aruba experience even more memorable. The room was very clean and anything extra we requested was taken care of immediately. Great hotel, great staff, great time!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We returned home today from a two week stay at Brickell Bay. We have stayed in Palm Beach twice per year for the past five years, always at The Mill Resort but thought we would try somewhere else this time and for this reason, this review is partly a comparison between the two as both hotels are much more inexpensive than the others in the area. I intend to give a completely fair account that agrees with what many other reviewers have already said - both the good and the (not so) bad.

Many people have commented that Brickell Bay is lacking in standard. I would strongly disagree. Brickell Bay is at the standard you would expect for the price you pay. There is nothing wrong here, if you want luxury then pay the high rise price, if you want to save a little money then go for the perfectly adequate Brickell Bay or Mill Resort.

Both hotels are similar with the 'towel' aspect. One towel is fine for a man, but as a woman I would like one towel for my face, one for my body and one for my hair. In both hotels the lack of towels and facecloths was an issue, in Brickell Bay however the request for more of them was dealt with within a reasonable time, it took 24 hours for The Mill to respond (on several occasions).

The staff in Brickell Bay are all lovely, particularly around the pool where they are very attentive. In the Mill Resort most of the staff are fantastic, but they have the odd one or two (well one actually!) that Mill Resort reviewers constantly complain about.

It is true what many reviewers have said about the water bottles and the fruit in the room - it doesn't happen! You get one bottle of water between two of you on the first night and that's it. However, you do get a bowl of grapes as you sit by the pool.

As for the two hotels - The Mill Resort is by far the prettiest, it has a pool second to none and all the rooms have balconies or patios. Brickell Bay does not have balconies/patios which is a bit of a miss and the pool is a place to 'have a dip' in, rather than a swim. However, the Mill Resort has a problem with mosquitoes due to it being near a 'wet' area and the fact mosquitoes can access either by the balcony when the door is open or by the room door which is always wedged open when the staff clean (access to open air outside, not internal passageway as in Brickell Bay).

The Mill Resort rooms are larger than Brickell Bay rooms and have more amenities (balcony, fridge, coffee making facilities, jacuzzi- Brickell Bay has none of these) but have bad lighting so the ladies will prefer the stronger lighting and magnifying mirrors in Brickell Bay.

Both hotels are a few minutes walk to the beach. However, The Mill resort stands alone and the shortest walk from it is to the beach, everywhere else takes longer to walk, including the bus stop. Brickell Bay has a similar few minutes to get to the beach but it is smack in the middle of Palm Beach, and you can't get a better location than that.

To tie this up - my opinion is that if you want luxury - go to the high rises. If you want a decent hotel at an affordable price then choose between Brickell Bay or the Mill Resort. For my money - Brickell Bay is in a better location than even the high rises. I would like the Mill Resort best if it was in the location that Brickell Bay is) but on reflextion between the two I will probably book Brickell Bay next time rather than the Mill Resort. I will miss the balcony and the pool and the fridge and the jacuzzi of The Mill Resort though - but when you stay at Brickell Bay it's just so great to go out for the evening and not have to walk ten minutes to get back to the room (and then squash mosquitoes) .

Room Tip: Stay in the rooms away from the pool/bar
13  Thank WHMON
Reviewed 19 November 2013

If you like to walk out of your room onto a beach this is not the place. The beach is directly across the road from the hotel within a short walking distance (I have walked longer distances to reach the beach in large beachfront resorts). Actually the main advantage of this hotel is its perfect location, it is easy to navigate around, you can walk to variety of restaurants and stores, and this is the perfect place for nightlife action. Do not expect a quiet night, certain rooms are close to the noisy sand bar, fortunately I got a quiet room, a little of noise at night but nothing that keeps you awake all night long. The room was cozy and clean, comfy bed, clean linens. Overall, the rooms are well maintained. Free wifi and a descent breakfast are included. Great value for the location, cleanliness and sleep quality, other resorts around are by far more expensive. This hotel provides easy access to its beach club with complimentary sun loungers and parasols on the beach. Recommended for tourists on budget, a great value!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room far from sand club
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino
Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino
#21 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Caribbean Palm Village Resort
Aruba Beach Villas
Aruba Beach Villas
#1 of 1 in Malmok Beach

Been to Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa? Share your experiences!